Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,507 members, 7,830,520 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US (21425 Views)

University Of Benin Students Preparing For Exam(pictures) / Result & Admission For 2012/2013 Unilag Post Graduate School / Unilag Post Graduate School - YOUR VIEW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by Nobody: 6:00pm On Aug 27, 2008
thank you. this is so wonderful. can you please tell me how i can get materials for GRE and apply for the test. toefl inclusive. also if i can start earlier in the year in the US instead of waiting until september. advice on choice of appropraite school will be appreciated. i want to apply fo a masters degree in civil engineering or environmental engineering. my email address is timadi2000@yahoo.com
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by funnkymua: 12:11am On Aug 28, 2008
smiley
Want to say a big thank you to sayhi2Ay and blackpro, u guys have done a great job and have answered almost every question i was bothered about. But i need help in finding a good gmat center here in naija not for registration alone but study purpose. Please recommend one if u know any good one.
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by sayhi2ay(m): 3:29pm On Aug 28, 2008
funnkymua:

smiley
Want to say a big thank you to sayhi2Ay and blackpro, u guys have done a great job and have answered almost every question i was bothered about. But i need help in finding a good gmat center here in naija not for registration alone but study purpose. Please recommend one if u know any good one.

a good center is First Logic in Ikeja.

here is their website to look up the office location: http://www.firstlogicng.com/index.html
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by sayhi2ay(m): 3:38pm On Aug 28, 2008
timadi:

thank you. this is so wonderful. can you please tell me how i can get materials for GRE and apply for the test. toefl inclusive. also if i can start earlier in the year in the US instead of waiting until september. advice on choice of appropraite school will be appreciated. i want to apply fo a masters degree in civil engineering or environmental engineering. my email address is timadi2000@yahoo.com

You can either get the materials at a book store, or check online. There are some websites you can get them for free. Kaplan and Barron materials are good choice both for GMAT and TOEFL.

To apply for the test, you can visit First Logic as well, they can help you make the payment and register you for the exam. Or if you have someone abroad who can make payment for you, its kool too and probably cheaper. But TOEFL wont accept payment directly from Nigeria.
The test centers also have people abroad that does payment for them , its not like they pay directly. or so I think.

Search for schools that offer your desired degree program on google or cuil. Check the department's goals of the program and see if it meets your expectation, that way, you know which school is appropriate for you and which is not.
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by funnkymua: 8:09pm On Aug 28, 2008
@sayhi2ay
Thanks a whole lot, i know d place but thought they were strictly into IT certifications alone. I will go check them out. Thanks
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by tboy81(m): 9:35am On Aug 29, 2008
I intend to write my GRE/TOEFL in October.

I was just wondering, even if someone pays for you in the US, won't the Testing center stil collect some form of money for writing the exam in their centre?
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by sayhi2ay(m): 1:06pm On Aug 29, 2008
tboy81:

I intend to write my GRE/TOEFL in October.

I was just wondering, even if someone pays for you in the US, won't the Testing center stil collect some form of money for writing the exam in their centre?

No, the center wont collect any money from you for writing the exam there. The funny thing is that I didnt even write my exams at the centered I registered. I wrote the TOEFL at Yaba and the GRE at Ikeja.

My TOEFL exam was postponed 3 times. Each time, about 2 or 3 weeks. So I got to write it after about 10weeks I registered.
Why is was postponed was because the centers I was told to write the exam didnt have a good Internet connection on the day of the exam. And because TOEFL is iBT, the results and questions are been downloaded and submitted real time. Without a good connection, if you get disconnected, thats the end of the exam.

Which is why I suggested First Logic because they have good Internet connection and the chances of your exams being postponed by this issue will be low.

I didn't get GRE exam date until about 5 weeks after I registered though it wasn't postponed unlike the TOEFL.

If you plan to write either exams, I suggest you register like 10 weeks before your desired exam date.
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by tboy81(m): 10:33pm On Aug 29, 2008
Hi Folks:

Stumbled upon this from the US embassy site while looking for US Education counsellors in Naija:

http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/educational_advising.html

Won't be a bad idea to check them out to get more information . . .
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by trillions: 1:43pm On Sep 01, 2008
@sayhi2ay

pls how much did First logic collect for toefl and Gre registration? is it the official rate?
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by trillions: 2:54pm On Sep 01, 2008
@ sayhi2ay,

my relations that was helping me to register for Toefl and Gre in US, is telling me tht she did encounter problems, my application was not accepted. she was told my forms needs to be mail from my test country.

pls do u have an idea abt the procedure and how i should go abt it?
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by sayhi2ay(m): 3:18pm On Sep 01, 2008
@trillions

I didnt register at First Logic, registered at another test center around Igbosere, Lagos Island.

Am not sure about mailing your forms. Have her call TOEFL here and let her get clarification.
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by tboy81(m): 11:44am On Sep 02, 2008
I actually called First Logic yesterday afternoon.

The lady on the phone said GRE is 30K while TOEFL is 26K

So from these prices, it's not the offical rate of $170 (GRE) and $150 (TOEFL).
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by sayhi2ay(m): 1:36pm On Sep 02, 2008
tboy81:

I actually called First Logic yesterday afternoon.

The lady on the phone said GRE is 30K while TOEFL is 26K

So from these prices, it's not the offical rate of $170 (GRE) and $150 (TOEFL).

getting someone to register for you abroad will save you about 10K. Like I said, it takes about 3 to 4 weeks to get exam date, plan accordingly and make early payment if you want to write the exam soon.
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by trillions: 10:47am On Sep 03, 2008
Thank guys,

my relation in US was able to register for toefl and gre for me yest, the confirmation letters were sent to me.

Now it boil down to preparing on time and getting materials to prepare with.
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by sayhi2ay(m): 1:10pm On Sep 03, 2008
trillions:

Thank guys,

my relation in US was able to register for toefl and gre for me yest, the confirmation letters were sent to me.

Now it boil down to preparing on time and getting materials to prepare with.

glad she was able to register.
spend a lot of time with GRE learning the vocabs and maths say 6 weeks. you should do well for the TOEFL exams if you prepare at least 2 days ahead.

all the best,
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by Aiyetunje: 12:13pm On Sep 05, 2008
sayhi2ay, others

do u have any materials/resources for GRE math? I'm very rusty & have barely 4 weeks to my test date. . . any tips/advice will be welcome. . .thanks
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by sayhi2ay(m): 12:15pm On Sep 05, 2008
Aiyetunje:

sayhi2ay, others

do u have any materials/resources for GRE math? I'm very rusty & have barely 4 weeks to my test date. . . any tips/advice will be welcomethanks

http://www.4shared.com/network/search.jsp?sortType=1&sortOrder=1&sortmode=2&searchName=barron++GRE&searchmode=2&searchName=barron++GRE&searchDescription=&searchExtention=&sizeCriteria=atleast&sizevalue=10&start=0

good luck
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by Aiyetunje: 10:37pm On Sep 06, 2008
Thanks!
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by FlyDiva(f): 6:50pm On Sep 14, 2008
sayhi2ay:

http://www.4shared.com/network/search.jsp?sortType=1&sortOrder=1&sortmode=2&searchName=barron++GRE&searchmode=2&searchName=barron++GRE&searchDescription=&searchExtention=&sizeCriteria=atleast&sizevalue=10&start=0

good luck

@sayhi2ay and black pro and Kojo Ameda and all the others
Thank y'all for the contributionbut i have a number of questios and i hope y'all can help me out.
First of all i finished with a third class in biochemistry and i am looking to do my masters in the US, although i wish to diversify completely to study international and global affairs, as a result i intend to first of all do a graduate certificate program. what do you advice? Am i on the right track?
Secondly, i'm at a loss whether to do GMAT or GRE, what is the difference and d'ya think schools will accept one in place of the other, because i don't think it's affordable or wise to do the two?
Third, i was actually waiting to write the exams before i applied to the schools, so as to be able to submit complete application to them, i also intend to apply for the fall 2009 session, is that ok?
Now that personal statement is another source of concern to me. Please i need advice like asap.
Finally pls i can get addreses for reputable exam centres in abuja.
Thank you all a lot
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by victado64: 8:16pm On Sep 14, 2008
bLackpro if you could just send the materials you have on GMAT & GRE to me,i will grateful.

my email address is victado64@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by seanpounds(m): 5:47am On Sep 15, 2008
thanks blackpro for the highly informative thread. i stumbled on it and it has been a good read all the way down. well i'm also preping for gre and i wouldn't mind a copy of the materials you talked about. i've been refused a study visa before, couple of years back by the u.s consulate, hope that wouldn't count against me now when they want to make their decision? for this 1 reason ,i have vowed not to do nada with the u.s, but as it is , my sponsor would rather i study for a masters in the u.s. guess i have no choice. i also wouldnt mind getting any other assistance you'd be willing to offer.thanks so much and God bless you.
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by seanpounds(m): 6:00am On Sep 15, 2008
blackpro, sayhi2ay and others, please send and correspondence to me thru s(dot)r(dot)adesola(at)gmail(dot)com . i intend a masters in either petroleum chemistry or pharmacy,cos my first degree was in chemistry science, i'm fresh out of versity n i see nysc as mere waste of time,since its not required for further studies.please advice, thanks
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by sayhi2ay(m): 6:13pm On Sep 15, 2008
Fly Diva:

@sayhi2ay and black pro and Kojo Ameda and all the others
Thank y'all for the contributionbut i have a number of questios and i hope y'all can help me out.
First of all i finished with a third class in biochemistry and i am looking to do my masters in the US, although i wish to diversify completely to study international and global affairs, as a result i intend to first of all do a graduate certificate program. what do you advice? Am i on the right track?
Secondly, i'm at a loss whether to do GMAT or GRE, what is the difference and d'ya think schools will accept one in place of the other, because i don't think it's affordable or wise to do the two?
Third, i was actually waiting to write the exams before i applied to the schools, so as to be able to submit complete application to them, i also intend to apply for the fall 2009 session, is that ok?
Now that personal statement is another source of concern to me. Please i need advice like asap.
Finally please i can get addreses for reputable exam centres in abuja.
Thank you all a lot

What graduate certificate program do you intend to do ?
GRE is for science degrees while GMAT is for business schools. I dont think many schools will accept one in place of the other. So if you are sure you want to apply to a business school, take GMAT, and if its science, take GRE.
If you wait to write the exams before you apply to the schools, it means you will have to pay for the shipment of your score sheet to the various schools. GMAT or GRE or TOEFL will send it to 4 school for free. But if you dont specify which schools when you fill the application for the exams, it means you will have to pay for the shipping yourself.
You can apply Fall 2009, its ok, it will give you enough time to prepare and enough time to get useful information about schools.

I will post my Personal statement or statement of purpose so it can serve as a guide to you and others,

sorry, dont know about exam centres in abuja.
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by sayhi2ay(m): 6:18pm On Sep 15, 2008
seanpounds:

blackpro, sayhi2ay and others, please send and correspondence to me through s(dot)r(dot)adesola(at)gmail(dot)com . i intend a masters in either petroleum chemistry or pharmacy,because my first degree was in chemistry science, i'm fresh out of versity n i see nysc as mere waste of time,since its not required for further studies.please advice, thanks

folks at the US consulate knows you cant work in Nigeria without the NYSC certificate. If they ask you during your interview and you cant produce it, it will cast a doubt that you intend to come back after you complete your degree in the US.
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by sayhi2ay(m): 6:21pm On Sep 15, 2008
---
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by FlyDiva(f): 7:25pm On Sep 15, 2008
sayhi2ay:

What graduate certificate program do you intend to do ?

i Intend to do a graduate certificate program in global affairs.
is  that possible with a third class?
Thank you so much for the aid in the statement of purpose. i'll let you know how it all works out and i hope you don't mind if, when the need arises i bug you with more questions?
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by sayhi2ay(m): 7:36pm On Sep 15, 2008
Fly Diva:

Thank you so much for the aid in the statement of purpose. i'll let you know how it all works out and i hope you don't mind if, when the need arises i bug you with more questions?

I really dont know about taking a graduate certificate program, its very dicey, but you can apply for a master's degree, considering your low GPA, some schools might require you to take low level classes for a quarter or 2 before they admit you fully into the master's program.
How about that ?

Meanwhile, I dont think schools issue out I-20 for graduate certificate program. You should look into that.
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by seanpounds(m): 1:32am On Sep 16, 2008
thanks blackpro, guess thats true. i'd just take my time and have my youth service done before processing my second degree admission. i hope you'd still be available on this forum whenever that would be. "i would like to know ;
1. which schools (in the hot regions of the U.S i.e tropical weather states, with relatively warmer winters)would you  recommend for MSc in either of these courses,
Petroleum chemistry with management studies,
Pharmaceutical science with management studies, and
Biomedical sciences.
2. with a 2.2 (second class lower), what are my chances of getting this courses in the suggested schools.
3. please would you mind if i'd ask for your email address for correspondence purpose? thanks and God bless you smiley
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by sayhi2ay(m): 1:51am On Sep 16, 2008
seanpounds:

thanks blackpro, guess thats true. i'D just take my time and have my youth service done before processing my second degree admission. i hope you'D still be available on this forum whenever that would be. "i would like to know ;
1. which schools (in the hot regions of the US i.e tropical weather states, with relatively warmer winters)would you  recommend for MSc in either of these courses,
Petroleum chemistry with management studies,
Pharmaceutical science with management studies, and
Biomedical sciences.
2. with a 2.2 (second class lower), what are my chances of getting this courses in the suggested schools.
3. please would you mind if i'D ask for your email address for correspondence purpose? thanks and God bless you smiley

sayhello2ay@yahoo.com
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by seanpounds(m): 2:00am On Sep 16, 2008
thanks bro!
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by sayhi2ay(m): 3:41pm On Sep 16, 2008
Fly Diva:

So I sent an email to the international admission office about the graduate certificate program.

Me: Do you offer I-20 to international students intending to study Graduate Certificate program ?

Reply: A person on an I20 must be "degree seeking", so for just a Graduate Certificate would not count.

Thats the response I got from my school, you can email the school you intend to apply and get clarification.
Re: Preparing For Gmat And Graduate School in The US by trillions: 11:29am On Sep 18, 2008
@sayhi2ay,

pls i wanna know the various academic sessions as obtained in US. i intend to write my GRE abd Toefl in nov 2008, and would like to forward my application afterthen.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

15 Things You Must Know To Avoid Carryover In Your Exams. / JAMB: Fraudsters Take Control Of Our Site, Divert N10m Allowance Of Ad-hoc Staff / How To Check 2016 JAMB-UTME Result Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.