Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,809 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:59 AM

Car Thieves Gone Digital! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Thieves Gone Digital! (30928 Views)

UPDATED: Heeeeelp With Car Gone Wild. / Why Are Thieves Always After The Toyota Brand? / Keyless Entry Systems Vulnerable To High-tech Car Thieves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Thieves Gone Digital! by kayalla(f): 1:55pm On Apr 08, 2013
I locked my car As I walked away I heard my car door unlock''.I went back and locked my car again three times.Each time, as soon as I started to walk away, I could hear it unlock again!! Naturally alarmed, I looked around and there were two men sitting in a car next to the Store. They were obviously watching me intently, and there seemed no doubt they were somehow involved in this very weird situation. I quickly abandoned my errand, jumped into my car and sped away. I went straight to the police station, told them what had happened, and found out I was part of a new, and very successful, scheme being used to gain entry into parked cars. Two weeks later, my friend's son had a similar experience...

W­hile traveling, he stopped at a motorway service area to use the toilet. When he came out to his car less than 5 minutes later, someone had managed to get into his car and had stolen his mobile phone, laptop computer, sat-nav, briefcase and other belongings. He called the police and since there were no signs of his car having been broken into, the police told him he had probably been a victim of the latest robbery tactic – there is a device that robbers are using now to clone your security code when you lock your doors on your car using your remote locking device. They sit a distance away and watch for their next victim. They know you are going inside the Store, restaurant, or whatever and that they now have a few minutes to steal and run.*

The police officer said always to lock your car manually with the key when parking in a public area. That way if there is someone sitting in a car nearby watching for their next victim, it will not be you. When you lock up with the key upon exiting, it does not send the security code, but if you walk away and use the remote button, it sends the code through the airwaves where it can be easily intercepted by the device.

This is very real. Be aware of what you just read and pls pass this information. Thanks

57 Likes

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by Ikenna351(m): 4:30pm On Apr 08, 2013
Thanks for the tip.

Ikenna.
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by Boyoorisha: 5:01pm On Apr 08, 2013
Technology at work!
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by jaibang(m): 6:56pm On Apr 08, 2013
real big time lesson for me
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by Ikenna351(m): 7:45pm On Apr 08, 2013
Peugeot users, note that when you lock the door manually with ignition key, the Alarm will not alert anymore. Locking the doors with key remote activates or sets the internal and external protection. This is for Lion users that want to make use of siren/protection feature though.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by vitality22(m): 9:00am On Apr 09, 2013
MOD, please could you send this to frontpage. This thing just happened to my colleague in the office yesterday monday. He uses a corolla 2008 model.
Frontpage please so that people will be aware of this trick.
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by Scarpon(m): 11:21am On Apr 09, 2013
thank god I have not gotten my car yet

6 Likes

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by goldfish80(m): 11:22am On Apr 09, 2013
A friend of mine Tony was α victim of this sometime last yr. They took away his laptop απϑ ipad, I was blaming him, that he forgot to lock his car. Now I кnoω better sad

1 Like

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by GraceBestowed(f): 11:22am On Apr 09, 2013
It's always good to be alert, and watchful! Seriously, the level at which people are taking crime to is astounding!

1 Like

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by Nobody: 11:24am On Apr 09, 2013
Police take note
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by ArQueBusieR(m): 11:25am On Apr 09, 2013
If dem born dem well, make dem try steal my armoured tank.
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by ichommy(m): 11:26am On Apr 09, 2013
Okay, noted

1 Like

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by Abujafood: 11:26am On Apr 09, 2013
This is not new especially in Abuja. Notorious places where this happens include; Utako Market Area, AMAC Estate even the national assembly car park is not spared. Lesson: Don't ever leave any valuables in your car when you're out. Park close to entrance by security posts etc.

More anti-car theft tips if you reside in Abuja
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by yuzedo: 11:27am On Apr 09, 2013
Hian! These niggaz won't let me enjoy my money....... Ogini?!?!?!?!?! angry

4 Likes

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by RiKKies: 11:29am On Apr 09, 2013
shocked
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by momodub: 11:30am On Apr 09, 2013
THANK you ooo noted
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by Kesmakveli(m): 11:30am On Apr 09, 2013
Nairaland una too much joor! Thanks op for this useful info...

2 Likes

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by Sweetapple007(f): 11:32am On Apr 09, 2013
Re they tired of kidnapping!
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by kramer: 11:33am On Apr 09, 2013
Apparently this is garbage!! ... Its explained here

http://skepticdetective./2009/09/13/thirty-years-ago-maybe/

18 Likes

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by CY09: 11:33am On Apr 09, 2013
Nice info, but as i never get car nko wetin i go do? undecided

1 Like

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by souleymon(m): 11:34am On Apr 09, 2013
kayalla: I locked my car As I walked away I heard my car door unlock''.I went back and locked my car again three times.Each time, as soon as I started to walk away, I could hear it unlock again!! Naturally alarmed, I looked around and there were two men sitting in a car next to the Store. They were obviously watching me intently, and there seemed no doubt they were somehow involved in this very weird situation. I quickly abandoned my errand, jumped into my car and sped away. I went straight to the police station, told them what had happened, and found out I was part of a new, and very successful, scheme being used to gain entry into parked cars. Two weeks later, my friend's son had a similar experience...

W­hile traveling, he stopped at a motorway service area to use the toilet. When he came out to his car less than 5 minutes later, someone had managed to get into his car and had stolen his mobile phone, laptop computer, sat-nav, briefcase and other belongings. He called the police and since there were no signs of his car having been broken into, the police told him he had probably been a victim of the latest robbery tactic – there is a device that robbers are using now to clone your security code when you lock your doors on your car using your remote locking device. They sit a distance away and watch for their next victim. They know you are going inside the Store, restaurant, or whatever and that they now have a few minutes to steal and run.*

This is very real. Be aware of what you just read and pls pass this information. Thanks

Did this Happen in Nigeria ?

3 Likes

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by RedLight1: 11:34am On Apr 09, 2013
wow..
thanks for the info/awareness
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by ChEkWaSIyKe(f): 11:36am On Apr 09, 2013
Nija una too much. Am even afraid of buyin my own car dis week bcus of dis news
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by veuttoutlemonde: 11:38am On Apr 09, 2013
Its actually a simple device that captures/interrupts the remote signals when it is pressed. With it thieves can get into anything, cars, garages etc. Manually lock cars OR buy the new remote key that cant be intercepted and is protected.
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by igwephil(m): 11:41am On Apr 09, 2013
This is really serious.....why can't we (Naija) use our wisdom in a positive direction....thanks for the info anyway
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by kennyonthrone(m): 11:41am On Apr 09, 2013
One hell of an info tanx OP
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by jeffizy(m): 11:44am On Apr 09, 2013
Scarpon: thank god I have not gotten my car yet
Very soon, i pray.

1 Like

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by AkinDavid2: 11:49am On Apr 09, 2013
Thanks a million.. smiley
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by Euroclydon(m): 11:51am On Apr 09, 2013
CY09: Nice info, but as i never get car nko wetin i go do? undecided

Lock your jacket! and Zipper!

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Help! V.I.S Officials Just Meted An Injustice On Me (pics) / Mercedes Benz Showroom In Lagos Unveiled (photos) / 11 Things VIO (vehicle Inspection Officers) Will Check To Determine If Your Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.