Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,094 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:55 AM

Car Thieves Gone Digital! - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Thieves Gone Digital! (30936 Views)

UPDATED: Heeeeelp With Car Gone Wild. / Why Are Thieves Always After The Toyota Brand? / Keyless Entry Systems Vulnerable To High-tech Car Thieves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by mrofficial2(m): 11:52am On Apr 09, 2013
Thank you.
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by kponkedenge(m): 11:55am On Apr 09, 2013
Nigerian thieves r upgrading dats good
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by KingPradas(m): 11:57am On Apr 09, 2013
this is not new.
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by kpencheruwe: 11:58am On Apr 09, 2013
ArQueBusieR: If dem born dem well, make dem try steal my armoured tank.

POOR MAN,WHY ARE YOU EMBARASSING YOURSELF

4 Likes

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by lekanwj(m): 12:00pm On Apr 09, 2013
Thanks for the info
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by eagleeye2: 12:02pm On Apr 09, 2013
Happened to me few years back, inside UNILAG. My Lap top and a friends own was stolen.
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by ChukChinCol(m): 12:04pm On Apr 09, 2013
Make i buy car first.
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by jydo306: 12:09pm On Apr 09, 2013
Noted.. Thanks
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by ArQueBusieR(m): 12:17pm On Apr 09, 2013
kpencheruwe:

POOR MAN,WHY ARE YOU EMBARASSING YOURSELF
I own 5 T90 main battle tanks, fool.

1 Like

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by Nobody: 12:19pm On Apr 09, 2013
Wow, thanks op... Uv done well..

1 Like

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by Nobody: 12:35pm On Apr 09, 2013
Me the car owner don go analog...we must not be on the same page for me to stay on top of my game... grin
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by akdjr(m): 12:38pm On Apr 09, 2013
MY PICK UP NO GET SECURITY.....AM FREE FROM DIS
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by ZN2: 12:38pm On Apr 09, 2013
This is False. The possibility of this happening is very slim.

Here's a bit of info on how Keyless Entry systems work these days.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/remote-entry2.htm

This would only be possible in the old days - say around 1970 when automatic entry devices were (literally) made up of a couple of transistors and a radio transmitter.
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by baconline(m): 12:40pm On Apr 09, 2013
I can authoritavely tell u that this is a lie and can never happen to a modern vehicle,it can only be done to d older model cars which have remotes with a fixed code,d modern car has a rolling code remote system dat changes every time it is pressed.I deal with remote systems and I say dat this can only happen to cars not younger than 18yrs

5 Likes

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by ideylaff: 12:50pm On Apr 09, 2013
kayalla: I locked my car As I walked away I heard my car door unlock''.I went back and locked my car again three times.Each time, as soon as I started to walk away, I could hear it unlock again!! Naturally alarmed, I looked around and there were two men sitting in a car next to the Store. They were obviously watching me intently, and there seemed no doubt they were somehow involved in this very weird situation. I quickly abandoned my errand, jumped into my car and sped away. I went straight to the police station, told them what had happened, and found out I was part of a new, and very successful, scheme being used to gain entry into parked cars. Two weeks later, my friend's son had a similar experience...

W­hile traveling, he stopped at a motorway service area to use the toilet. When he came out to his car less than 5 minutes later, someone had managed to get into his car and had stolen his mobile phone, laptop computer, sat-nav, briefcase and other belongings. He called the police and since there were no signs of his car having been broken into, the police told him he had probably been a victim of the latest robbery tactic – there is a device that robbers are using now to clone your security code when you lock your doors on your car using your remote locking device. They sit a distance away and watch for their next victim. They know you are going inside the Store, restaurant, or whatever and that they now have a few minutes to steal and run.*

The police officer said always to lock your car manually with the key when parking in a public area. That way if there is someone sitting in a car nearby watching for their next victim, it will not be you. When you lock up with the key upon exiting, it does not send the security code, but if you walk away and use the remote button, it sends the code through the airwaves where it can be easily intercepted by the device.

This is very real. Be aware of what you just read and pls pass this information. Thanks

This message has bn going round and causing panic all over BB for the last few days.

Why dont people stop . research and think for once b4 jumping to conclusion and making up their minds... (pretty lame and lazy if you may ask me)

Someone wants to steal your car and u have not even walked away form the car and they are already unlocking the car so much that u can hear it unlock....Thats prerry stupid? if you think about it.....

not once or twice but over 3 times , as u lock your car they unlock it again.... Now that makes the story look Lame and dopey

Lets came down...this car zapping code has bn going on for year...

I wont give this story any thought... id lump/dump it in the same way the IBB Babangida in Ebony story went back in the days .. the rumour went round.....that he was listed in the mag.....

Come on Nigeria..... we get sense pass ds now...Haba

3 Likes

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by Nobody: 12:50pm On Apr 09, 2013
Let them come and rob my 1982 Peugeot 504 SR.... grin
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by mindboggler: 12:56pm On Apr 09, 2013
Abeg it's not true, cars with remote keys send a unique code once u press it,whether it's to lock d car, open it, etc. It changes it's code whenever the remote key is pressed and only that car key can work with it so there's no way a car thief can configure a code to open ur car.

1 Like

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by forkadict(m): 12:57pm On Apr 09, 2013
baconline: I can authoritavely tell u that this is a lie and can never happen to a modern vehicle,it can only be done to d older model cars which have remotes with a fixed code,d modern car has a rolling code remote system dat changes every time it is pressed.I deal with remote systems and I say dat this can only happen to cars not younger than 18yrs

Bros, thank you o.

I don nearly get hypertension. Imagine make thieves con steal my small jalopy wey i dey take cruise lagos chics around. Lagos chics wey no dey take eye see car.

Abeg o

2 Likes

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by miqos02(m): 12:57pm On Apr 09, 2013
thank you OP
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by sureway1(m): 1:22pm On Apr 09, 2013
So wat will happen to my keke napep if l don't lock it manually.
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by SisiKill1: 1:30pm On Apr 09, 2013
Oh Jeeedus not this fake fear mongering chain email again?!!

I can't believe this crap was placed on the front page without verification. A simple google search of auto theft and overriding car alarm systems will tell you all you need to know that this is crap.

OP did not even try to word it differently....at least try to make it sound like something that happened in Nigeria. Do Nigerian police know jack about anything digital talk more of this kinda sophisticated use of technology.

people really should learn to do research for themselves instead of swallowing anything thrown their way hook, line and sinker.

1 Like

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by Edunwa302(m): 1:32pm On Apr 09, 2013
Technuzu respect.
Tank GOD say my remote no dey wrk again en no more putin it back,na key tins frm nw on
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by GalaxyNoteII: 1:46pm On Apr 09, 2013
Mehn Nigerians no dey carry last.

Negative side of technology devel.
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by TonyMonti(m): 1:48pm On Apr 09, 2013
Sister, you have made my day. Thanks for that important piece of information. Your Blessed angrySister, you have made my day. Thanks for that important piece of information. Your Blessed
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by NaijaEcash(m): 2:11pm On Apr 09, 2013
kramer: Apparently this is garbage!! ... Its explained here

http://skepticdetective./2009/09/13/thirty-years-ago-maybe/

Mod, please remove this from the front page. It is misleading. This thread is copied verbatim from a chain e-mail. See the link quoted above, it shows that the fake-story has been on for several years.

2 Likes

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by Nobody: 2:15pm On Apr 09, 2013
Scarpon: thank god I have not gotten my car yet
you're still poor embarassed ultra poor
Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by sammyyoung3: 2:24pm On Apr 09, 2013
kramer: Apparently this is garbage!! ... Its explained here

http://skepticdetective./2009/09/13/thirty-years-ago-maybe/

The real thief is the Poster of dis.........baba copy and paste

2 Likes

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by jmichael(m): 2:37pm On Apr 09, 2013
For real dis is rubbish. NL shld stop puttin up trash for us. U guys r sendin d wrong msg to d public and r raising false alram. Dis story is a copy-paste from d internet and happend in 1970.

1 Like

Re: Car Thieves Gone Digital! by linearity: 2:50pm On Apr 09, 2013
This has FAKE written all over it...except you must be driving a very very old Car...as in cars manufactured in the 70s that through some futuristic magic have remote control locks.

All remote locks in Cars, Garage door opens, etc use what is called 'rolling codes'...aka each time you press the remote it releases a fresh new set of codes different from the one released in the previous press.

So if someone captured my code, they are just wasting their time because that code is now obsolete. Your remote control is capable of release unto 1 million different codes, so that thief must be ready to keep following me around town and over many many years and keep capturing every single code...then wait for that perfect time to replay all other back to my car to open it...

Meaning, if the average person press their remote say 100 times a day (this is on the high side, but let work with that for giggles), it will take them about 27 years to capture all the codes, you now see how stupid this ***warning is***

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ask For Ur American & Japanese Vehicle's Parts Including Bumper & Lights / Mercedes Benz Showroom In Lagos Unveiled (photos) / Help! V.I.S Officials Just Meted An Injustice On Me (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.