Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,190 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:02 AM

Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin (9051 Views)

Unemployed?a Million Jobs For You! / Working Online Helps The Unemployed A Lot / An Excellent Remedy To Nigerian Unemployed/underemployed Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Gorimakpa(m): 4:18pm On Apr 10, 2013
Also, if this happens in top foreign owned companies like Schlumberger and co, then you can imagine what happens in government agencies and local private companies. Funny enough, I don't have a problem with slight favoritism here and there. If someone is employed at my expense, then she should at be at least as qualified and competent as I am if not better. Let the connection or favour he has be the only edge or advantage. I wouldnt be too bitter about that.

Where it is very painful is where you would deny a 2.1 graduate of a good school like OAU employment, even where he performs excellently in the test and interview, and rather employ some barely literate fool with a pass or third class degree or diploma from one funny school in the hinterlands. More so when such a fool did not even have to write the aptitude test that I laboured hard to pass, but was smuggled in like a thief in the night after the rest of us have wasted time to prove our competence in the tests and interviews. I mean, that is daylight robbery. It is now so common in this messed up country Nigeria.
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Gorimakpa(m): 4:18pm On Apr 10, 2013
double post
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by bedane: 4:26pm On Apr 10, 2013
‎‎​I don't understand why we must always derail threads in this forum. For those that opined that having an uncle put in a word or two after having proved yourself deserving of a Job is right, ‎‎​I beg to disagree. ‎‎​‎‎​I will prefer they do their favoritism before contacting successful candidates that way they save people heartaches.
@ yuzedo Man please act like an adult in public irrespective of it being faceless or not. Enough with the insults thank you.

1 Like

Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by thelegend1(m): 4:33pm On Apr 10, 2013
kokoye: I dont know if you believe in God...but even He shows favoritsm.

Life is not fair..nothing will change that.

The prayer is to find favor with the people who matter...

Well Spokern...i testify!!!
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Nobody: 4:53pm On Apr 10, 2013
We all need that extra introduction called I know him or her

Even government sometimes appoint based on recommendation, so I don't see any thing wrong
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by wwwkaycom(m): 5:45pm On Apr 10, 2013

I partly disagree with you
There is no partiality in God says the holy books
God gives opportunity to all but favours only those who fulfils His requirements
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by kokoye(m): 6:19pm On Apr 10, 2013
wwwkaycom:

I partly disagree with you
There is no partiality in God says the holy books
God gives opportunity to all but favours only those who fulfils His requirements

Really..?

Who deserves to die?
who deserves to be born with cancer?
People are struggling, hoping and suffering in Nigeria...they ALL deserve it?
Kids born blind..they deserve it
Nigerian politicians enjoying their loot at present and their children looking better than the rest of us..they deserve it?

A lot of people 'fulfilled His requirements' but they still died prematurely. what are you going to do about it?

It is not by power nor might..nor because you know how to do it.... but by His grace.

You dont have to deserve it. Ask for His grace.
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Burger01(m): 6:26pm On Apr 10, 2013
@Op, 2006 you 'just' completed national youth service.. Are you in the present or in the past because your post is a bit confusing to me time-wise.. All the same, destiny plays out our lives whether we like it or not. Handwork pays and opportunity without preparation could never be gotten again.... sad
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Nobody: 6:39pm On Apr 10, 2013
did you say schlumberger nig plc? no such company bro. but thank God you finally got the best option for your career. the journey to the top is never straight forward. stop complaining. we'll all get there through every means God makes available. but get favouritism off your head. remain blessed.
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Burger01(m): 6:59pm On Apr 10, 2013
yuzedo:

Man, your story is disjointed and full of typos and sh*t! If you wanna make a point, don't fabricate some fairy-tale while at it. Unnecessary f*cking details too don't add substance to your expose. They don't add sh*t! And is this story in past-tense or present-continuous. Talk about a scholar who can't communicate but is complaining about standards.
Thank you. You put my thoughts in your post. I have nothing more to say. Those that won't understand your point have 'clogged' brain.. I don't give a shait... sad
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Saecula: 7:16pm On Apr 10, 2013
yuzedo:
Bro, I knew I was gonna come under heavy artillery from fellow mediocres for critiquing that pot of crap a nigga wrote, but somebody gotta be the martyr. Somebody gotta be the Dark Knight. I will be that hero. grin
Mediocres? A case of the pot calling the kettle black
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Saecula: 7:18pm On Apr 10, 2013
Gorimakpa: This is a problem that we have been facing for so long in Nigeria, and it is getting worse. Look at Nigerian Social Insurance Trust Fund (NSITF). Some of us applied, paid application fees, wrote the test, passed the test, attended the interview, and did well at the interview, but at the end of the day, the fools there only employed individuals that did not even apply at all, mot to talk of to write test or attend interview. Go to their headquarters in Abuja now, you would see blockheads gleefully collecting appointment letters to resume work while the qualified ones are left out. All these just because they were sponsored by politicians and top management staff of the NSITF. The whole thing is so unfair, and it makes me hate this useless country. No wonder nothing works in the country.

I remember how I battled for many years to gain admission to a university, even the year that I finally gained admission, I almost did not make it if not for a stroke of luck as the admission people told me to gerrout and go and write JAMB again. At the end of the day, I graduated as the 4th best student in my class of more than 60 students, and many of the fools that were admitted ahead of me dropped out before final year while others struggled to make third class and weak 2.2. I kept asking myself: is is fair that I would have remained at home while these blockheads would be in school, just because of corruption? Now the same thing is happening in the job market. Only a revolution would save this godforsaken country.
You have got no case. Most of you that claim of being denied admission never merited it ab initio. And the fact that you later graduated as one of the best doesn't prove that you were unjustly denied admission.
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Saecula: 7:21pm On Apr 10, 2013
sholay2011:
Did you read my post well? C'mon! I dnt support favouritism at the expense of professionalism. But let's be real here, sometimes, it's the only thing that separates the goose from the gander.

Or do you think if the OP had someone too at the company, wouldn't he make use of the 'long leg', though after satisfying their qualifications? Abegii!
yet it is indubitable that some jobs are syill being given on merit.
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Nobody: 7:24pm On Apr 10, 2013
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Nobody: 7:29pm On Apr 10, 2013
Op you should thank ur stars that u were lucky to get the ptdf and move to the uk. Some people will do and do without no job and still remain at home for 3 years as dependent just because they're waiting for multi national. There's no crime in starting small. I am not proud of my pay and I knw I worked harder all my life for better but I knw it can only get better from here on. I'm also an engineering graduate frm a top federal school. And I'm doing all I can to maximise all opportunities. Anyway concerning the ptdf scholarship u got. Is it based on merit because someone told me you have to know someone to get the award. Anyway I applied and I know God.
Finally I strongly believe in the saying that you can't keep a good man down.
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by gnykelly(m): 8:24pm On Apr 10, 2013
I'm also a victim of favouritism. I was at convenant uni a while ago for a mid level manager job. I was qualified for the job with few other. After checking our doc. The first question i was asked was 'are u a born again' meanwhile i am a muslim. Any way i have resolved to discontinue any academic in nigeria and go full time into biz. Till i see the opptnity to be an ex-nigerian where i can study a course that i desire not a course available
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by armadeo(m): 8:35pm On Apr 10, 2013
I blAme goodluck J (Phd).
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Fukup(m): 8:42pm On Apr 10, 2013
Nairalandi: Otu Ocha...!!!!
pascal,stop behaving like a kid.grow up man.
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by bloggernaija: 9:43pm On Apr 10, 2013
the story does not add up at all.
Schlumberger aptitude test at that time was made up of 2 components.
1numerical and verbal reasoning
2practical component.
One important thing is that if you are a theoretical engineer like most nigerian graduate, there is no way you are scaling this stage.
After the test, you are told to wait for the result which is posted like 2hrs later.
Another thing is that the company has a very soft spot for technical courses and polytechnic graduates (market readiness)
I can confirm that the Naija factor can influence recruitment especially the oga at the top type.however,that would have happened immediately after the aptitude stage .it is virtually impossible for a name swap to occur after the interview. No well paid human resources manager would dare do a name swap in a multinational of that size.
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Nobody: 10:24pm On Apr 10, 2013
Rooneyboy:

I thought I was the only person that noticed all his errors grin

And he claims to have a PHD cheesy , I laugh . grin

Maybe a Uniport graduate.
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Nobody: 10:39pm On Apr 10, 2013
Talk about Epistle of paul!
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Gorimakpa(m): 10:47pm On Apr 10, 2013
Saecula:
You have got no case. Most of you that claim of being denied admission never merited it ab initio. And the fact that you later graduated as one of the best doesn't prove that you were unjustly denied admission.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute, why not hold your peace instead of saying what you know nothing about. Maybe you're one of these kids that attended these new private universities on a platter of gold. Anyone that is familiar with public universities knows the corruption and favouritism that goes with admission, right from Jamb racketeering to admission fixing, to VC list, Dean list, HOD list, and so on. If the official cut off mark is 200, and I score 240 through my own sweat and legitimate knowledge, yet so many other people scored 270 and above through Jamb rackets, while some others that scored less than 240 are admitted because they are on VC's list and so on, what then are you talking about? Even if a lecturer's child scores less than the cut off mark, he or she would still make it, at the expense of someone else that scored above the cut of mark. So what is your point? You are obviously a beneficiary of the corrupt system in this useless country. Better to keep shut than to say rubbish here. You don't know how pissed off one is at all these nonsense going on.
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Nobody: 11:00pm On Apr 10, 2013
yuzedo:
Bro, I knew I was gonna come under heavy artillery from fellow mediocres for critiquing that pot of crap a nigga wrote, but somebody gotta be the martyr. Somebody gotta be the Dark Knight. I will be that hero. grin

I think I like you.
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by yuzedo: 11:09pm On Apr 10, 2013
jaylinaa:

I think I like you.
You can purchase my form in any GTBank branch for ONLY N5,000, and I can be ALLLLLL yours + a bag of chips........... wink
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Ibime(m): 11:18pm On Apr 10, 2013
yuzedo:

Man, your story is disjointed and full of typos and sh*t! If you wanna make a point, don't fabricate some fairy-tale while at it. Unnecessary f*cking details too don't add substance to your expose. They don't add sh*t! And is this story in past-tense or present-continuous. Talk about a scholar who can't communicate but is complaining about standards.

Chill out. The ninja is an engineer not a linguist. You understand him yarns? Yes! So leave story!
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by omenka(m): 11:23pm On Apr 10, 2013
Rooneyboy:

Shut ur mouth young man , the poster claims to have been cheated .

Don't tell me u are subscribing to the poster's story .

To me the poster didn't / doesn't deserve that job(even with his so called PHD)

*with all the errors in his piece*

Mr I-Too-Know, it is PhD and not PHD. Ode.

2 Likes

Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Ekowise(m): 11:38pm On Apr 10, 2013
Aki you are right because i'm experiencing thesame now and i am patient but one thing is sure, Divine Favour supercedes human favour.
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by BILLIONs1: 11:41pm On Apr 10, 2013
Rooneyboy:

I thought I was the only person that noticed all his errors grin

And he claims to have a PHD cheesy , I laugh . grin

@RoonerGAYboy It's PhD not "PHD" Idiot, I wonder if you went to school at all. I hope u are a primary school teacher, if not you are wasting your talent

2 Likes

Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by mobosteve: 1:26am On Apr 11, 2013
anelkamak: A nation is built by people and great nations are built when competent people are given the opportunity to pilot the affairs of the nation. Competency is achieved through skills and experiences developed over time. Nowadays, employers employ individuals through competency based selection processes which ranges from all sorts of aptitude tests to interviews. However, in Nigeria a third process has unofficially been added which is favouritism and if not checked will threaten our Nation building.

From my experience as a hardworking recent graduate of Chemical Engineering who just completed his National Youth Service Corp at Borno State in September, 2006, I boldly walked into the Nigerian “Labour Market” to search for good jobs which will help me develop myself and build my skills and professional career as an engineer. I went into the market with certainty that my hard work and academic success will help me to excel in every aptitude test and interview that I will find myself. I started my job search spending most of my days and nights in the cyber cafe applying for jobs. My focus initially was mainly in the oil and gas related jobs (especially the multinationals) which is the dream job for every young Nigerian engineering graduate.

Like every other recent graduate, I prepared myself for the stiff competition in the selection process and spent sleepless nights reading aptitude test materials and some interview tips. As days and months pass by, I noticed that most multinational oil and gas job opportunities are seasonal especially for graduate positions. That made me to diversify my job search from strictly multinational oil and gas companies to every other sector that have graduate positions like indigenous oil and gas sectors, banking sectors, manufacturing and so on.
In February 2007, I got a job aptitude test invitation from Schlumberger Nigeria Plc. which for me was an opportunity to give my best and secure a dream job. I prepared very hard for the test and two days to the test date, I moved down to Port Harcourt from Enugu to stay closer to the test venue. On the said test date, I arrived at the test venue with all the necessary credentials as stated in the invitation. I passed through the accreditation where the original copies of my credentials were checked to make sure I meet the minimum requirement for the position. After been cleared, I was directed to my sit. After we were seated, we were given all sorts of instructions as regards the test and the company. As the instructions were coming, the tension within me kept rising as that was my first job test. The profile of the company been dished out by the people conducting the exam makes me long to work for them the more, however, I decided to focus more on the two obstacle staring at me (aptitude test and interview) which I saw as the only hindrance stopping me from achieving my dream as a young engineering graduate.

When the time came, we were given the test materials and were instructed to start the test which we did and when the time elapsed, we were instructed to stop and the papers were collected. The examiners told us that the test result will be posted on the wall outside the company premises in Port Harcourt within two days and that the successful candidates will be contacted for the interview stage. The two days waiting period was filled with prayers to God to help me be among the successful candidates. Early morning on the appointed day, I went to the company but lo and behold the results have not been posted yet. I waited and while I was there, many other people came around for the same purpose. Later towards the afternoon, the results were posted and to the glory of God, my name was on the list. I jumped and thanked God in jubilation for helping me cross the first hurdle while I pray to him to accomplish the work which He has started by helping me in the second hurdle.

In the evening of that same day, I got an official invitation for the interview stage. I prepared and prayed hard and early in the morning of the interview day, I prepared and went to the venue much earlier than necessary in order to avoid any form of obstacle which might come from traffic jam and all sorts of unforeseen circumstances. I waited in the interview venue till the interview time. When the time came, we were called in for the interview by one of the interviewers. We were drilled through different stages from individual to group and hands-on in order to test our competencies in different areas. The interview finished in the evening of Friday, February 9, 2007 and by Saturday, February 10, 2007, I got an email that I was successful in the interview. I couldn’t help but to thank God for making a dream come through and for making all my hard work not to be in vain. I broadcasted the good news to my parents and they were so happy for me. I was later instructed to get my international passport ready which I borrowed money from my sister to do immediately. From my inquiry, I was told by some employees that the next stage will be medical examination and then resumption.

Lo and behold, I got a twist of my life when I waited for several months and didn’t hear anything again from the recruitment team. I couldn’t believe that this is coming from a company who made us believe that one of their codes of conduct is “zero tolerance to corruption”. I put up calls but they were never answered. I sent emails but they were never replied. Later, I happened to contact one of the guys who also passed the interview the same time and he told me that he has been called. I asked what he did that I didn’t do, that made him to be called while I wasn’t and that was when I knew that he had an uncle working in the company at that time. This was the time it done on me that although I passed the official competency based selection process stated by the company, I didn’t do well in the unofficial selection process called favouritism. I pressed hard to redress the situation but to no avail. When I saw that the situation was drifting out of my hand, I quickly got a job in the banking sector (at least to keep body and soul together) while I continuously press for the job I was denied in Schlumberger Nigeria Plc.

Although I was heartbroken, I wasn’t deterred. While in the bank, I continued trying other opportunities and as it pleases God in the same year, I got the PTDF scholarship to study my MSc at United Kingdom. I left the shores of Nigeria in 2008 for my MSc which I successfully completed in September, 2009. Immediately after that, I was offered a Scholarship by the UK Engineering and Physical Science Research Council to undertake a PhD programme, which I successfully completed in 2012 emerging as the first candidate in my faculty to have completed his PhD work before the official completion date without correction. Immediately I completed my PhD, I got an offer from one of the top Universities in South Africa to continue my research work in Low Carbon Energy Systems.

Although people might say that what happened to me is “a blessing in disguise” but I think it is high time we started exposing the evil that is happening in our society. I know there is someone out there who has been cheated because of favouritism. This eleven letter word has lead to incompetency and decay in our society. Some unqualified people have gotten into positions they never merited because of favouritism. Some people have gained admission into universities while those that are more qualified than them are left out because of favouritism. Some have even gone ahead to sale employment positions to people that can afford it while those that are qualified but don’t have the money to buy are left out.
The problem caused by favouritism is hydra headed. It discourages hard work and competition while at the same time promotes corruption. It gives room for people that are not qualified to handle the affairs of the nation while the qualified are left out. It is also against the rule of law.

Let us as a nation learn to build based on merit. Let employees employ based on merit. Let government appoint people based on merit so that Nigeria will achieve her merited growth.
I indulge you to join in this fight against favouritism by mentioning any company, university or government parastatal that have denied you anything whatsoever (from employment, admission, promotion etc) because of favouritism. It is high time we started to expose the evil in our society.

By Dr. Engr. M Aneke.

Same thing happened to me at Sea Truck Groups last year.I went for an Interview at STG and after passing the interview .the last question I was asked was "Who gave you the information of this Interview" and "Do you know anyone in the Company". Apparently II had no one there and that's how I lost the job.It "TRIBALISM" and this is very bad.Its common especially with the "YORUBA'S".Nigeria is a sinking ship.If some tribe don't like the other tribe's then why are we together.I believe the only reason that Nigeeria is still one is because of the Niger Delta Oil.

2 Likes

Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Gbabe2: 2:49am On Apr 11, 2013
It is sad when you guys mix spiritual things with serious and plain truth.That's one of the reasons we aint moving forward.
Just pray you don't experience such thing in life.
@Op life is not straightforward and just believe that Gods plan for your life will come to pass.You might not become a PHD (scholar) if you had the opportunity to work with SBJ.I am a living witness to that as well.
I wish you well in life and ur write up is well appreciated.

Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Ribaman(m): 4:16am On Apr 11, 2013
Saecula:
yet it is indubitable that some jobs are syill being given on merit.

Know what? You are right! It's just that the ratio is tilted in favour of favouritism and nepotism. Should'nt the reverse be the case? I wonder
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Kechybee(f): 6:13am On Apr 11, 2013
MY RECENT EXPERIENCE WITH NSITF: I've followed NSITF's most recent recruitment which started in 2011. In april 2011 I made an application fee of N1000 into NSITF zenith bank account like every other applicant and as advertised by the management of NSITF. A confirmed code was printed immediately in the bank with which I proceeded to my house to use the internet and fill the online application. In July 2011, I wrote the aptitude test in Abuja, attended the interview in Sept 2011 in Abuja also. Much later in 2012, some pple were given employment letters but the names of succesful candidates were never published anywhere. I heard abt d appointment letters being released on nairaland and from a friend so I decided to go to NSITF hqtrs in Abuja to confirm. When I got there I was told openly that the letters were for those who had referals. I pressed further to check if I would see my name on d list. They told me again that if my name wasn't submitted by any godfather, then I was just wasting my time because d list isn't for d public. But dat if any godfather submitted my name, I shld either call him/her & collect my letter from him/her. But dat if d person hasn't received my letter then I shld wait behind. I felt like shooting everyone there cos it was so glaring that d exercise had become highly politicised. I was also told to bring a letter from any godfather if I could to speed up my recruitment and also join in d induction programme. I told myself, NIGERIA IS FINISHED. In Nov 2012, I attended a 2nd interview wit the same NSITF as part of d year long recruitment hoping things will get better and this will be an opportunity for those without godfathers. Just recently and in 2013 I heard about letters being released again hoping my letter wil be there. On March 24, 2013 I went to d same abj hqtrs, wit hop dat this was an opportunity for pple like us. Trust me, it was still d same godfather issue. Exactly what I was told in 2012 repeated itself again in 2013, which means no godfather no job. I was speechless. Pls how do we change dis wickedness in fed govt agencies/parastatals & even in d civil service. Most govt workers are dummies simply because d eligible ones are denied employment & all you see in govt offices are pple who can't write and speak, all they do is to carry files. God must surely intervene in dis country. We shld be given equal opportunity.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Beware Of The Company Buyam.com / Engineers And Riggers Wanted Urgently / NPF Shortlist 2019 | Download Nigeria Police Final List Of Selected Candidates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.