Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,478 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin (9056 Views)

Unemployed?a Million Jobs For You! / Working Online Helps The Unemployed A Lot / An Excellent Remedy To Nigerian Unemployed/underemployed Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Avalani(m): 6:19am On Apr 11, 2013
yuzedo:
My point is that the bîtching was unnecessary. I am a strong advocate of merit(ocracy), but this guy was just going on and on, about a personal experience, rather than dealing with the issue. (Which he simply alloted one flimsy paragraph)

If two people are equally qualified. Equal in all abilities and capabilities, and someone has the added advantage of a referral, why are you mad? His friend passed the test and interview too, but his uncle put in the extra word/effort needed to clinch it for him. Crime? I think not.

Just so you know, I am a product of merit. I have always done my bit and passed every examination or test or interview. ALWAYS! But at many stages I have needed the help of an influential word. No shame in that.

Nigga needs to man up and stop sullying Schlum's image. And if he absolutely has to, at least stick to the issues, don't tell us what u ate before u went for a test or the rosary recited before an interview. Ain' nobody got time for that. undecided

perfection is a state that can never be achieved; fools are ignorant of this. You're a "product of merit" yet at various times you "needed the help of an influential word" and you say "no shame in that"? You are, at best, confused. You mean to imply that you can pick out typos but can't differentiate between favoritism and merit. I'm sure your father also says embezzlement isn't stealing but utilizing opportunity. After all, it happens all over the globe. There's only one crime here: that your parents failed morally to teach you a simple matter of right and wrong. Or maybe they did, maybe you're just plain simple.

5 Likes

Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by ChiSun27(m): 7:26am On Apr 11, 2013
tawa89: you are just pathetic. Picking out someone's typographical errors is so immature .Dude, help yourself and grow up!

Though the way he went about it might be a bit rude....but then..what is wrong with the correction?

We learn everyday by correcting ourselves.

#Peace#
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by viruz007(m): 7:47am On Apr 11, 2013
Kamanda:

Maybe a Uniport graduate.

Dude b guided. Dnt soil my alma mata.
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Gorimakpa(m): 8:27am On Apr 11, 2013
Kechybee: MY RECENT EXPERIENCE WITH NSITF: I've followed NSITF's most recent recruitment which started in 2011. In april 2011 I made an application fee of N1000 into NSITF zenith bank account like every other applicant and as advertised by the management of NSITF. A confirmed code was printed immediately in the bank with which I proceeded to my house to use the internet and fill the online application. In July 2011, I wrote the aptitude test in Abuja, attended the interview in Sept 2011 in Abuja also. Much later in 2012, some pple were given employment letters but the names of succesful candidates were never published anywhere. I heard abt d appointment letters being released on nairaland and from a friend so I decided to go to NSITF hqtrs in Abuja to confirm. When I got there I was told openly that the letters were for those who had referals. I pressed further to check if I would see my name on d list. They told me again that if my name wasn't submitted by any godfather, then I was just wasting my time because d list isn't for d public. But dat if any godfather submitted my name, I shld either call him/her & collect my letter from him/her. But dat if d person hasn't received my letter then I shld wait behind. I felt like shooting everyone there cos it was so glaring that d exercise had become highly politicised. I was also told to bring a letter from any godfather if I could to speed up my recruitment and also join in d induction programme. I told myself, NIGERIA IS FINISHED. In Nov 2012, I attended a 2nd interview wit the same NSITF as part of d year long recruitment hoping things will get better and this will be an opportunity for those without godfathers. Just recently and in 2013 I heard about letters being released again hoping my letter wil be there. On March 24, 2013 I went to d same abj hqtrs, wit hop dat this was an opportunity for pple like us. Trust me, it was still d same godfather issue. Exactly what I was told in 2012 repeated itself again in 2013, which means no godfather no job. I was speechless. Pls how do we change dis wickedness in fed govt agencies/parastatals & even in d civil service. Most govt workers are dummies simply because d eligible ones are denied employment & all you see in govt offices are pple who can't write and speak, all they do is to carry files. God must surely intervene in dis country. We shld be given equal opportunity.

There are thousands of us that had the same experience. I'm glad someone else has repeated what I talked about earlier, so that it would not seem like I am a rabble-rouser. We need more people to speak up and expose the rot in NSITF, it was a very bitter experience I tell you.
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Smoj(m): 9:20am On Apr 11, 2013
The OP's error(s) is nt d issue, so far we can get his points dats all. MATURITY IS D WORD
Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Nobody: 9:26am On Apr 11, 2013
There was a thread where a similar issue like this was dealt with,

I quite understand where the Op is coming from, but what he has failed to realise is that NETWORKING will better your chance any day anytime.

Now if it were to be the OP that had the opportunity of being referred by an Uncle, I dare say he would not be complaining.

Its folly to say that people who get Jobs through referrals are not good enough, on every CV there is a place for references

Now, look at this scenario for a technical hire,
You are the human resource manager of a company, and during an interview, you came out with several qualified candidates for limited openings, now you have a dilemma, they are all qualified, you need something to help you make a choice.
Some managers will rely on their gut feelings about a particular candidate, others will rely on non-job related criteria like dress sense, charisma and other non essential issues, while some managers will rely on referrals to help them make their final choice.

The truth is that you as an applicant, is not privy to the happenings behind the scene, so unless you have proof that this is exactly what went on and this is why you were not taken, keep your mouth shut and keep praying to God.

Each time i go before anyone for anything, I have only one prayer on my mind, and that is for divine favor from God to be with me, others might call it luck, i call it favor, never for once believe in your life that you got whatever you got, purely because you were the best at it.

Remember that hiring decisions are made by humans who have preferences for certain things. Go read gifted hands, and find out what made Ben Carson get his admission into John Hopkins, and you will understand what i mean, Just because he had knowledge of a certain issue not even related to his course of study, was what got him the admission.

What i am saying in essence is that meeting the minimum requirements, and scaling interviews and tests, isn't a guarantee that you will get the job.

Today the Op is somewhere better, and I am sure he is not regretting, not getting the job with schlum.

Life isn't exactly like Calculus, its more like a probability, you can never be sure of the outcome, until the end.

Finally remember what wise Solomon said,
The race is not to the swift, neither the battle to the strong, but time and chance happeneth to them all..... Let God roll the dice of your life and the outcome is sure to be good.

1 Like

Re: Favouritism And The Plight Of A Nigerian Unemployed: A Threat To Nations Buildin by Franky9584(m): 10:59am On Apr 11, 2013
Anoda name 4 dis country z Corruption. Bt d problem now z how can dis b curtailed 2 d beareast minimum?.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Factory Workers Needed / Spring Bank Recruitment / Solina Group Abuja Assessment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.