Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,443 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

Is Modern Life Making Us Lonely? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Is Modern Life Making Us Lonely? (8865 Views)

What Will You Do If A Lady Blocks Your Way Like This On Lonely Path? (pic) / Hizamakura Lady's Lap-Pillow For Lonely Guys (Photos) / Nairaland Girls Are So Lonely (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Modern Life Making Us Lonely? by pato405(m): 5:38pm On Apr 10, 2013
Arsenate: dammnn, man. All these diasporans come on NL to tell us how much of a sh1t hole naija is but from what you wrote up there, UK is the biggest hell holes of all. What a sad life out there.

yes o! not just sad, the boredom and loneliness accounts for the high incidence and prevalence of depression as well. wonder why people take their own lives, or just open fire in public places/cinemas to maim others? they are depressed. if not for recent boko wahala, Nigerians are largely known to be happy people despite their challenges. uk is strictly mind your business. people lock themselves up indoors ...self incarceration abi na personal house arrest. grin
Re: Is Modern Life Making Us Lonely? by Orikinla(m): 5:42pm On Apr 10, 2013
Who is lonely?
I am overcrowded.
Re: Is Modern Life Making Us Lonely? by Fukup(m): 8:24pm On Apr 10, 2013
Dunno why i always feel alone when am around people but am at my best when am alone.to me,it feels so good to be alone.thats me mehn.
Re: Is Modern Life Making Us Lonely? by Abbott(m): 10:20pm On Apr 10, 2013
We need fellowship with one another. The smallest form of fellowship is marriage between a man and a woman. The Bible also encourages that we should not forsake the gathering of brothers(believers). Increasingly, technology will isolate people with the illusion of connecting them together in an instant. And I daresay that the benefits of human presence CAN NOT EVER be replaced with any technological counterfeit: holographic, visual, audio, still or even robotic. All these methods of connection are souless.
Re: Is Modern Life Making Us Lonely? by kaboninc(m): 10:40pm On Apr 10, 2013
mediainspired: New researches have proven that the new media (social network), plus hi-tech gadgets like ipad, iphone, blackberries etc have replaced real social relationship, intimacy and friendships. Now, everybody can sit behind a laptop or type from their hi-tech gadgets and chat with thousands of their e-friends on facebook, twitter, nairaland; but at same not having the benefit of the soul and essence of friendship. Look around you & u'll see practically everyone either face-down on a computer, blackberry or ears shut with an earphone listening to music.

In this modern times, aside your immediate family members and relations, everyone is shut off from the rest of the world and their lives circulate around e-friends; whose personality or xter you cannot really assess because on social networks ppl put up a public face (mostly nice-guy but unreal personality).

A quick check: when was the last time you had a nice social outing with your group of friends? Or how many of your e-friends are your REAL friends you've interacted wit physically?

SUMMARY: Wit modernity and the new media, MORE E-FRIENDS, BUT LESS REAL FRIENDS. MORE ACTIVITY &BUZZ ON LAPTOP AND HI-TECH GADGETS, BUT LESS ACTIVITY & LONELINESS IN REAL LIFE

Like there are no sensible punks here to like a sensible post.
Re: Is Modern Life Making Us Lonely? by Abbott(m): 11:05pm On Apr 10, 2013
That is the cost of civilisation and modern life. Nigeria will still get to that stage too, in fact, we are already in that stage and we are not even fully developed yet. Growing up cause people to grow apart too. Reason it is better that you spend your life doing what you love.
Re: Is Modern Life Making Us Lonely? by cowgurl: 11:32pm On Apr 10, 2013
Hmm, I guess this article holds true then given the comments on here.

Thanks guys for the insights!
Re: Is Modern Life Making Us Lonely? by ChiSun27(m): 6:54am On Apr 11, 2013
cowgurl: Hmm, quite a lengthy read I must confess but what really caught my attention in this article was where the correlation was made between social networking and loneliness.

Does social networking help people stay in touch - or just the opposite?

Personally, I feel social networks makes people stay closer in touch with each other more than any other medium and most importantly with folks in diaspora.
To me, it is also the best , cheapest and fastest way to reach family and friends @ the snap of one's fingers.

Secondly, we were also informed[in the article] that social networking has reduced face-face interaction drastically making people more isolated.. And again, I find that statement hard to accept cos technology has also made it possible for people to interact with each other face-face via webcam, skype and it's likes so how can one be more isolated given these advancements in technology?

So let's hear from y'all your take on this..
Does social networking makes you feel isolated?
Cos to me, this doesn't hold..

can u compare d advantage of physical contact to d above mentioned?
Re: Is Modern Life Making Us Lonely? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Apr 11, 2013
What tires me is the fact that studies taken in the UK is now used to generally categorise everyone! Na me send them do: me, myself and I?
For here, we still get sense of community, amebo no go allow us leave you stay like dat! We sabi our neighbours, we dey go their house, waka together for area, put mouth where e no consign us because na so we b. Whoever wan copy oyibo style (UK) do isolation thingy is on his own and na so we go leave am. Wen him die. We go come shop free food and shack free drinks and live goes on!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Stabilizer Showing Unusual And Won't Output / What Does "raz" Mean? / Need Benin Republic Passport To Travel To 60 Country Visa Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.