Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,721 members, 7,955,702 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:22 PM

U.S-Maryland, Opens Lagos Office For Business - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / U.S-Maryland, Opens Lagos Office For Business (7695 Views)

APC Cloning Voter's Cards In Lagos ‘office’ – DSS / Mob Demolish PHCN Lagos Office Over Crazy Bill / Tafawa Balewa's Lagos Office In Ruins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S-Maryland, Opens Lagos Office For Business by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:44am On Apr 10, 2013
All but for profitable capitalism... like all the other foreign business interests tongue
Re: U.S-Maryland, Opens Lagos Office For Business by Nobody: 10:54am On Apr 10, 2013
This is old news, i just checked the maryland state website(dept of business and economic development) this is from last year

http://www.choosemaryland.org/pressroom/pages/mdopensfirstafricanforeigntradeoffice.aspx

[b]MarylanD Opens First African Foreign Trade Office
State expands global footprint with no upfront cost to taxpayers

BALTIMORE, MD (August 22, 2012) – As part of a continuing effort to expand Maryland’s global reach and identify new opportunities for trade and investment, Maryland Department of Business and Economic Development Secretary Christian S. Johansson today announced the opening of the State’s first foreign trade office in Africa. The office, which will be based in Nigeria, will operate entirely on a contingency basis, and funding will be based solely on the individual office representatives’ ability to attract companies and jobs to Maryland.

“Sub-Saharan Africa is the second fastest growing region in the world and it is a market that we want to explore,” said Secretary Johansson. “With this new office, we will not only be able to promote our State as a gateway to the U.S. market and attract African companies to Maryland, but also provide expert guidance to our businesses that want to access the African market.”

The office will be run by Grid2Grid, based in Washington, D.C., and will provide additional support and resources to Maryland businesses looking to export to that region while seeking potential foreign direct investors. Countries covered by the regional office include Nigeria, Ghana, Niger, Djibouti, Tanzania, Mozambique, Liberia, Democratic Republic of Congo and Mali.

The region was targeted as an ideal trade partner for Maryland because of a rapidly expanding African market, where demand for goods and services has increased dramatically both in the private and government sectors. Over the last decade, Sub-Saharan Africa’s GDP growth has averaged 5.5 percent. According to the African Development Bank, the continent’s middle-class has tripled to more than 310 million people over the last 30 years, creating a new consumer class.

“As an American company that specializes in emergent markets with a focus on Africa, we have been helping companies develop trade and investment projects on the continent for many years,” said Asoka Ranaweera, Managing Partner at Grid2Grid. “We are pleased to have been chosen to represent the State of Maryland and look forward to helping Maryland companies do business in Africa."

In the past year, Maryland has attracted 15 foreign-owned companies, which are projected to add nearly 300 jobs to the State’s economy. The wins are a result of a number of targeted economic development missions to promote the State as a hub for global companies, including trade missions to China, South Korea, Vietnam and India, which together netted more than $145 million in trade and investment deals.

Home to roughly 400 foreign-owned companies, Maryland is well-positioned for growth in the global market. Through its main office in Baltimore and 12 offices around the globe, Maryland’s Division of International Investment and Trade works to stimulate foreign direct investment in Maryland, offers export assistance for small and mid-sized Maryland companies and coordinates international missions and trade show opportunities for Maryland companies. DBED’s other foreign offices include China (Shanghai), France, Colombia, Korea, India, Taiwan, Vietnam, Russia, Israel, Africa and Western Balkans (Montenegro). For more information on Maryland’s international efforts, visit www.choosemaryland.org.

ABOUT DBED:
The Maryland Department of Business and Economic Development stimulates private investment and creates jobs by attracting new businesses, encouraging the expansion and retention of existing companies, and providing workforce training and financial assistance to Maryland companies. The Department promotes the State's many economic advantages and markets local products and services at home and abroad to spur economic development and international investment, trade and tourism. Because they are major economic generators, the Department also supports the Arts, film production, sports and other special events. For more information, visit www.ChooseMaryland.org.[/b]

why is the op posting it as a recent event, the question should be what has come out of it since then?
Re: U.S-Maryland, Opens Lagos Office For Business by tellwisdom: 11:10am On Apr 10, 2013
CFCfan:

The US State of Maryland is opening an office, not Maryland in Lagos.
United state opening an office in lagos?? Where?? sad
Re: U.S-Maryland, Opens Lagos Office For Business by Revolva(m): 11:19am On Apr 10, 2013
grin grin grin i know there are lots of Nigerians in Maryland state....very good
Re: U.S-Maryland, Opens Lagos Office For Business by Nobody: 11:19am On Apr 10, 2013
This is good oo
Re: U.S-Maryland, Opens Lagos Office For Business by Nobody: 12:47pm On Apr 10, 2013
FreeGlobe:
I really want to call them but how come you are giving me a Washington address when we are talking about the state and govt of Maryland? Am confused

Maryland and Washington D.C are basically in the same vicinity.
Re: U.S-Maryland, Opens Lagos Office For Business by Cleanman(m): 3:31pm On Apr 10, 2013
I've been sensing some kinda beef lately from the ibo folks concerning anthing relating to lagos development.....you guys should find something better to do cos your jealousy really stinks real hard from afar...change that mentality and Nigeria will progress by God"s Grace!.

2 Likes

Re: U.S-Maryland, Opens Lagos Office For Business by dayokanu(m): 4:59pm On Apr 10, 2013
redsun: An igbo man owns an international superstore in this state,called eko and most of the staffs are yorubas.But area boys/girls in nairaland attributes eko to tribal unit.Cave dwellers.

Why the guy no name am Ohafia abi him village dey shame am?
Re: U.S-Maryland, Opens Lagos Office For Business by redsun(m): 7:02pm On Apr 10, 2013
dayokanu:

He doesn't see like that,he sees nigeria as his hamlet.And anything that can attract,jolt and represent,he uses to make his dollars.

You guys thinks lagos belongs to you.It belongs to those that are making money in lagos,nigeria.

Yeye people.
Re: U.S-Maryland, Opens Lagos Office For Business by sbeezy8: 7:20pm On Apr 10, 2013
dayokanu:

I usually want to stay away fro tribal tings but dat guy is COMPLETELY shittin himself, I know the store hes talking about and its just one of many african stores like the one of many you can find in London,

We have more known stores in the area such as eleganza food, these african stores are owned by Nigerians, Sierre leoneans, ghanaians, Malians, Gambians, etc- there as over 50 african stores in that area alone, and majority of people who work in these store are illegal who take the LOW PAYING jobs because they need work thats regardless of tribe- country.

redsun:

He doesn't see like that,he sees nigeria as his hamlet.And anything that can attract,jolt and represent,he uses to make his dollars.

You guys thinks lagos belongs to you.It belongs to those that are making money in lagos,nigeria.

Yeye people.

lol be serious dont try to make it what it isnt- the guy owns a store like many other africans in the area. Nothing glamorous about the store, the man or the story. Lets be realistic.
Re: U.S-Maryland, Opens Lagos Office For Business by dayokanu(m): 7:29pm On Apr 10, 2013
^^ Thats how they do. Do one small thing and blow it out of proportion

Someone who lives in a face me I face you would claim he stays in a Mansion in Lagos
Re: U.S-Maryland, Opens Lagos Office For Business by redsun(m): 7:40pm On Apr 10, 2013
dayokanu: ^^ Thats how they do. Do one small thing and blow it out of proportion

Someone who lives in a face me I face you would claim he stays in a Mansion in Lagos

No sane person will want to call lagos his home,unless he is making serious money or he or she is born there.

That place is hell on earth for those that are not doing well.When i remember some rough times in lagos sometimes,i get goose pimples.How could i have?
Re: U.S-Maryland, Opens Lagos Office For Business by tpia5: 8:21pm On Apr 10, 2013
Re: U.S-Maryland, Opens Lagos Office For Business by tpia5: 8:23pm On Apr 10, 2013
adconline: Ports in Maryland handle almost half of all the shipments coming to Naija from US.

Thats because of the huge number of nigerians there?

Although i should think new york can match or exceed that.
Re: U.S-Maryland, Opens Lagos Office For Business by Dede1(m): 8:34pm On Apr 10, 2013
dayokanu:

Afrik is arguably the biggest African Store in the area in discussion.
Re: U.S-Maryland, Opens Lagos Office For Business by redsun(m): 8:36pm On Apr 10, 2013
sbeezy8:

lol be serious dont try to make it what it isnt- the guy owns a store like many other africans in the area. Nothing glamorous about the store, the man or the story. Lets be realistic.

Realistic in what sense? What could be more realistic?He an igbo man with eko name,working with yoruba chaps in a far away land.Which shows he not a bigot like you muderfuckers.
Re: U.S-Maryland, Opens Lagos Office For Business by EkoIle1: 8:47pm On Apr 10, 2013
The usual suspects crying over another progress in the Lagos/SW.

Quiet understandable shall, abi what else do you do if your village have nothing going on or worthwhile to be proud of or talk about, you constantly lash out at other and their progress.

But I do feel sorry for them because their incompetent leaders put them in a terrible position and its obviously having a mental and psychological toll on them especially the way the lash out and display their hate bitterness and bad bele ...

smh.. ndo.
Re: U.S-Maryland, Opens Lagos Office For Business by biafranqueen: 8:51pm On Apr 10, 2013
This is good news! Any opportunity to employee Nigerians should be rallied around not torn down Let us stop acting as enemies of progress divide and conquer is the oldest trick used to keep people with a common interest in poverty!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) / January: FG, States, Lgs Shares N465billion / What Have We Niger Deltas Benefited From Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.