Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,265 members, 7,811,749 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:46 PM

Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) (7502 Views)

Police Deploy More Officers To South-East, S’south; To Stop Kanu From Fleeing / South East To Build Five Mega Industrial Clusters / Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by flyingsnail(f): 9:17am On Aug 16, 2015
Craftsmen at Aba, Abia State as well as traders at Onitsha, Anambra State should get prepared to receive new apprentices from Ekiti State.

This is being promoted as a bid by the Ekiti State government to ensure that Ekiti youths are trained to be self-reliant and look beyond government patronage, and to also prove that, aside education, developing unskilled Ekiti youths does not warrant only sending them overseas for training.

The idea was floated by Hon. (Dr.) STB Omotoso, Ekiti State House of Assembly Member-elect (Oye 1 Constituency, PDP) during a courtesy visit by Ekiti State Assembly Members-elect to the corporate head office of Vanguard Media Ltd, Kirikiri, Apapa, Lagos, on Wednesday last week.

Hon. Omotosho, while condemning critics of Gov. Ayo Fayose of Ekiti State for their criticisms of what has come to be termed “stomach infrastructure”, said such criticisms give the concept a narrow definition as it goes beyond giving gifts of bags of rice and other foodstuff to voters to influence their choice.

“Stomach infrastructure is narrowly defined by critics of Governor Fayose”, Hon. Omotosho said. “It is not all about just feeding people or giving gifts to people. If one should expatiate on the concept, it entails providing the people not only with the basic necessities of life after election, but also empowering them by making them self-reliant, with the best education and training and then giving them employment, which the Fayose government is presently engaged in.”

Speaking further, the lawmaker-elect said the Ekiti State government did not need to waste scarce resources sending Ekiti unskilled youths to Europe or America for training. “Instead, they could be sent to Aba to learn how to make shoes and bags, and to Onitsha to master trade; while those who are qualified and competent will be given local contracts. This is the concept behind the so-called ‘stomach infrastructure’ and not just distributing gift items. Stomach infrastructure goes on after election. It is about helping the poor. It is about engaging them in what can feed them earn a living. That’s what Fayose wants to continue doing. He needs stability to achieve for no progress can be made during crisis. We have had enough crisis and we want peaqce in our state.”

Aba, well known for its handicrafts, is reputed for its handmade shoes and handbags. It is also a major manufacturing and trading centre in South-Eastern Nigeria, with its Ariaria International Market as the largest market in West Africa, seconded by the Onitsha Main Market.

And Onitsha is known for its trading, where the average traders are known to bring in at least six consignments of 40 tonnes (40-feet containers) of goods annually. Some of the major importers do more than 20 consignments of 40 tonnes of goods per year.

Interestingly, the multi-billion dollar economies of both commercial towns are dominated by craftsmen and merchants many of whom do not have university education, but rely on apprenticeship to cut their teeth in the trades before going on their own.

It will be recalled that “stomach infrastructure” crept into Nigeria’s political lexicon following the 2014 Ekiti State governorship election when voters were given gifts of bags of rice and other foodstuff by office contenders to influence their choice. Both Fayose and Fayemi, the then governor gave out gifts. But Fayose’s became so prominent that it was believed to have led to his victory.

Fayose sending Ekiti youths to Aba and Onitsha in furtherance of his stomach infrastructure will be a move which is believed will enjoy the backing of the incoming Ekiti State House of Assembly, as all 26 members-elect were elected on PDP ticket, like the governor.

The youths, according to the said plan, are expected to return to Ekiti State after completing their apprenticeship, to re-enact the Aba and Onitsha phenomenon in their home state.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/new-lawmakers-define-ekiti-stomach-infrastructure/?utm_source=&utm_medium=facebook#sthash.6xtp1nVo.dpuf

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by dejavski(m): 9:18am On Aug 16, 2015
Good

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by ibadantiti(f): 9:20am On Aug 16, 2015
grin grin grin Stomach infrastructure ...

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by Nobody: 9:20am On Aug 16, 2015
Good idea.
Kudos to Fayose

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by DaBullIT(m): 9:25am On Aug 16, 2015
Blow me .....
Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by Nobody: 9:26am On Aug 16, 2015
From my experience Ekiti yorubas are very different from typical yorubas...very intelligent, mostly christians and think like Igbos.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by Nobody: 9:26am On Aug 16, 2015
NL yorubasses said na lie

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by ibadantiti(f): 9:43am On Aug 16, 2015
Good one, hope they will learn how to make these boxes and talking drums. It will be hot cake in Yorubaland undecided

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by rawpadgin(m): 9:48am On Aug 16, 2015
deadZONE:
embarassed embarassed embarassed
yoruba dude cheesy
Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by IamOpemipo(m): 9:49am On Aug 16, 2015
I'm startin to think fayose is an igboman

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by flyingsnail(f): 11:54am On Aug 16, 2015
smiley
Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by Nobody: 12:01pm On Aug 16, 2015
Igbos in business is not just business alone but an institution of well established education. Ask that succesful igbo business man/woman in your area, he/she will first tell u they served someone for years before setting up there's.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by erikcantona: 12:16pm On Aug 16, 2015
Hehe let them. Come to there masters ,after they will be ranting on nairaland that they are better than IGBOs. !who is now. Beging each other for help hahahahah

7 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by Nobody: 12:37pm On Aug 16, 2015
Look at this one posting old "JUNE 6" news like it was reported today. everything in your brain is yoruba. When will you have a rest

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by priscaoge(f): 1:35pm On Aug 16, 2015
May the tribal bigots never see this thread cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Seems I have seen this news somewhere embarassed embarassed embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by Nobody: 1:45pm On Aug 16, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Look at this one posting old "JUNE 6" news like it was reported today. everything in your brain is yoruba. When will you have a rest

When are you going or your already there

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by mekadinho(f): 2:18pm On Aug 16, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Seems u r in Aba already? Obey ur master, pay attention to whatever thing he is doing, Dats d secret of learning handiwork. Don't insult him, I knw u ppl get dat one A1.

23 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by ArodewilliamsT: 2:32pm On Aug 16, 2015
This is the way forward, they should come and learn from masters and reduce the number of agberos in their land. How can grown able-bodied young men of 32years keep chasing after danfo for N20 to survive or begging on the streets of Osun, Oyo to get by everyday. It's alien to Igbos.

Oyo people should prioritze this ideas and learn from Igbos who have been toughened to fend for themselves since 1970s, not sharing fufu aregbe all over the place, when month ends, you'll tell workers that you can't pay salaries because they all ate Fufu aregbe. Way to go!

Aresa, virginfinder, azzima should leave their owoda and begging businesses, come down to the east and learn a trade. I will be glad to teleguide them with a Big stick on their coconut heads whenever they falter.

15 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by funkybully(f): 2:38pm On Aug 16, 2015
[s]
Aareonakakanfo:
[/s]

When u get to onitsha don't involve in "apiriko " just put eyes on ground and learn the trading skills. After 4 years u will b settled, But don't use ur settlement money to throw owambe party cos it's ur 4 years serving sweat.

Don't worry after 4 years u will join d league of industrious igbo huzzlers and u can demolish that mud house and build 5 storey in ur village grin

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by Nobody: 2:42pm On Aug 16, 2015
funkybully:

[s]When u get to onitsha don't involve in "apiriko " just put on ground and learn the trading skills. After 4 years u will b settled, But don't use ur settlement money to throw owambe party cos it's ur 4 years serving sweat.

Don't worry after 4 years u will join d league of industrious igbo huzzlers grin
[/s]

NOOOOOOOOO I DON'T WANT TO LEARN THIS. ADEOLA ODUTOLA IS MY ROLE MODEL wink wink wink wink wink

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by OkutaNla: 2:43pm On Aug 16, 2015
Oh no! Not Fayose again. embarassed Only he can make such a foolish move. Aren't there vocational schools he can send them to, to learn these skills professionally, rather than where they will be taught to produce inferior footwears? ? ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by funkybully(f): 2:48pm On Aug 16, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
[/s]

NOOOOOOOOO I DON'T WANT TO LEARN THIS. ADELOLA ODUTOLA IS MY ROLE MODEL NOT THESE GUYS wink wink wink wink wink

From gala hawker, to a store owner to supermarket owner to a big time factory owner.

Don't despise d days of humble beginning. They are better than those "funmi owo and owoda " touts at oshodi running after buses on high speed

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by Habakus: 2:50pm On Aug 16, 2015
You'll see how a lot of arm-chair-analysts will come and criticize,even demonize this noble initiative of Fayose without telling us exactly what other previous governments in Ekiti have done towards empowering the people.
Weldone Fayose. Don't mind what the nay sayers will say.

11 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by Nobody: 2:55pm On Aug 16, 2015
funkybully:

From gala hawker, to a store owner to supermarket owner to a big time factory owner.

Don't despise d days of humble beginning. They are better than those "funmi owo and owoda " touts at oshodi running after buses on high speed

HEHEHEHE those guys are designed to be hawkers and traders. its already ingrained in their mentality. they never move higher than that. so stop telling lies. i know my environment. this is 2015.2040 they will still be doing the same thing. a lot of work needs to be done to correct that mentality

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by Nobody: 3:06pm On Aug 16, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
[/s]

NOOOOOOOOO I DON'T WANT TO LEARN THIS. ADELOLA ODUTOLA IS MY ROLE MODEL NOT THESE GUYS wink wink wink wink wink
h

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by Nobody: 3:09pm On Aug 16, 2015
DikeOha882:
h

Atensshon!

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by Nobody: 3:16pm On Aug 16, 2015
new2020:
From my experience Ekiti yorubas are very different from typical yorubas...very intelligent, mostly christians and think like Igbos.
Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by SonOfEl(m): 3:23pm On Aug 16, 2015
new2020:

remember the late Col. Fajuyi? ekiti is his hometown. I respect ekiti yorubas from my heart. then secondly ijebu yorubas.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by thewarrior72: 4:56pm On Aug 16, 2015
I hope ibedun, aresa,lovemijeje,Bluetooth,tit, demdem,superstar, aigbofa etc will be among them, atleast, let them be engaged in something meaningful grin cool tongue

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by carnegiefan: 5:27pm On Aug 16, 2015
If the table were to be turned, Yoruba wouldn't teach their "rivals" anything that empowers them. FACT.
But knowing the Igbo, they would not hesitate to take anyone under apprentiship provided the person is HONEST, DISCIPLINED, LOYAL, and DEDICATED.
Those are the only secrets to the Igbo-style "trading".
I like the Fayose guy because he has been the only voice of reason from Yorubaland these days. But let no one think that Yoruba can overnight change to acquire those traits that make Igbo succeed in "trading".
I wish them luck though...

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens sent to South East to Learn Trade and Business skill (Pictures) by 7lives: 6:52pm On Aug 16, 2015
carnegiefan:
If the table were to be turned, Yoruba wouldn't teach their "rivals" anything that empowers them. FACT.
But knowing the Igbo, they would not hesitate to take anyone under apprentiship provided the person is HONEST, DISCIPLINED, LOYAL, and DEDICATED.
Those are the only secrets to the Igbo-style "trading".
I like the Fayose guy because he has been the only voice of reason from Yorubaland these days. But let no one think that Yoruba can overnight change to acquire those traits that make Igbo succeed in "trading".
I wish them luck though...

Skills?, no kill me with laughter abeg, like forcing customer to buy what dey don't like and beating the customer up for saying no?.
Or fufu blackberries, laptops and all sort of vices the only thing anyone can learn from you guys is how to make money by any means possible which is always not pleasing to the ears.
Eye don open " una jigg " is out, some of your " highly skilled and enterprising business " men were recently apprehended in armed robbery operation at Alaba international market, a market were one must sleep besides the container at night or else the container will be empty before morning, thieves everywhere, abeg make i hear word jor.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Will Igbo Not Lose If Nigeria Is Restructured? / 2023: Nigerians Are Suffering, Send APC Packing — Oborevwori / Dear Nigerian Youths, How Can You Actually 'Help' Nigeria!?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.