Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,566 members, 7,809,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:07 PM

Househelp... - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Househelp... (2498 Views)

Househelp Cuts Off Baby's Hand (Graphic Pics) / What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? / Abandoned By Wife, Found Love In The Househelp. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Househelp... by beblessed(f): 2:24pm On Apr 10, 2013
Am presently on vacation and so i wake up late and leave my place late afternoons. I stay in the same premises as my landlady( husband works offshore while the lady works in a private establishment). I noticed that as soon as the lady leaves for work, the teenage help dresses up and leave the house with the baby to God knows where but return 2-3 hours later. Sometimes, a teenage boy comes around and chats with her for hours. From all indications they have something btw them. My question is- should i inform my landlady or mind my business? Am concerned about the little child. Matured advice plz!
Re: Househelp... by maran1983(f): 2:30pm On Apr 10, 2013
Please, I beg you, tell the mother of that child. You may be saving a life, please.
Re: Househelp... by ifyalways(f): 4:12pm On Apr 10, 2013
Protect yourself, you never can tell how desperate or bad the househelp can be.

If you have your landladys number, call her anonymously and inform her.

4 Likes

Re: Househelp... by feminineA: 5:38pm On Apr 10, 2013
Please and please for the safety of the child tell your landlady. She needs to dispose of her quickly and get a another or a nanny.
Re: Househelp... by biolabee(m): 5:53pm On Apr 10, 2013
ifyalways: Protect yourself, you never can tell how desperate or bad the househelp can be.

If you have your landladys number, call her anonymously and inform her.

Seconded!!
Re: Househelp... by Nobody: 7:12pm On Apr 10, 2013
@OP
if that was your child, what would you expect people to do?! tell you or mind their business?

1 Like

Re: Househelp... by Nobody: 3:45am On Apr 11, 2013
Househelps! I dey fear them o!my nebor is changing them like baby diapers! @op,what r u waitin for? Pls,pls do something but be smart about it b4 u get urself into trouble
Re: Househelp... by Mavor: 9:36am On Apr 11, 2013
Please you have to tell the woman that her child is being endangered
Re: Househelp... by Okijajuju1(m): 9:45am On Apr 11, 2013
OP: Mind your bleeding business. angry

Househelps are also entitled to have a life you know. Is the child in any direct or immediate danger?! Have you seen any signs of her maltreating or abandoning the child or the childs welfare?! Does the child look like he is being abused in any way, shape or form?! Is the househelp in question a minor (under 16)?!

Her only offence is that she has a boyfriend or that she goes out whenever the madam is not around abi?! Try locking yourself inside your house for 1 year without stepping out and maybe you will begin to appreciate the sacrifices live-in maids have to make.

Please face your own problems jor!! Na people like una dey maltreat househelps.. angry
Re: Househelp... by beblessed(f): 10:01am On Apr 11, 2013
Tnx for all ur comments. I have decided to talk with the lady. I will only advice her to get a more matured woman/nanny. Am not going to say more than necessary.
Re: Househelp... by Gloriagee(f): 10:08am On Apr 11, 2013
This is in no way close to maltreating Househelps. The mother's expectation is that her baby be kept at home. What if the baby gets missing on one of the house girl's numerous trips? This woman would end up wishing she blew the whistle.

Okija_juju: OP: Mind your bleeding business. angry

Househelps are also entitled to have a life you know. Is the child in any direct or immediate danger?! Have you seen any signs of her maltreating or abandoning the child or the childs welfare?! Does the child look like he is being abused in any way, shape or form?! Is the househelp in question a minor (under 16)?!

Her only offence is that she has a boyfriend or that she goes out whenever the madam is not around abi?! Try locking yourself inside your house for 1 year without stepping out and maybe you will begin to appreciate the sacrifices live-in maids have to make.

Please face your own problems jor!! Na people like una dey maltreat househelps.. angry
Re: Househelp... by Nobody: 1:39pm On Apr 11, 2013
Okija_juju: OP: Mind your bleeding business. angry

There is a time and place for everything. Do you take your wife to work or your kids to board meetings? If the HH has a clear conscience why do it while her boss is away?

She is supposed to face her job, and not frolick with someone's child in tow!

@ OP please report her and save any future 'had-i-knowns'!

1 Like

Re: Househelp... by Okijajuju1(m): 4:15pm On Apr 11, 2013
Ujujoan:

There is a time and place for everything. Do you take your wife to work or your kids to board meetings? If the HH has a clear conscience why do it while her boss is away?

She is supposed to face her job, and not frolick with someone's child in tow!

@ OP please report her and save any future 'had-i-knowns'!

Nne you know how this country works..

Thats why I categorically told my wife that none of our maids would be under the age of 21 and none would be a permanent live-in maid.

Many people with maids (espcially the young live-in maids) dont allow their maids any leisure time whatsoever. The chance to take a walk with the baby whenever Madam leaves might just be the only break she gets in forever. If she wasnt doingher job, i am sure the Madam would have noticed.

I think the OP is about to snitch on a girl that does not deserve it. I would rather counsel her to talk with the maid girl first before snitching to the Madam.
Re: Househelp... by slimyem: 4:36pm On Apr 11, 2013
^^Number 1-Change that font.It hurts the eyes and its not cool.undecided

Number 2-You have no point.Whether the househelp is below 16 or an adult doesn't count.Whether her madam doesn't allow her any leisure also doesn't count here.
Fact remains that there's an agreement she signed up for which probably says "stay at home with the baby" and she's probably being paid for sticking to it.Betraying that agreement is so wrong.

The baby is at risk in that the mother has no idea that her househelp isn't seated at home with the baby and anything could happen if you let your imagination run wild here,the baby also becomes a lesser priority to the househelp and her boyfriend a higher one whenever she leaves for there or he comes around.
The op making her neighbour aware of what's going on is the right thing to do.This is one of the "how" she can be her sister's keeper.
Re: Househelp... by Okijajuju1(m): 5:21pm On Apr 11, 2013
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1. I love my font.. tongue

2. Sometimes these maids are not gotten as a result of a deal. More often than none, they are there against their will. Anyways, I get your point sha. Honestly I do, but I would advice the OP to first of all have a chat with the maid before snitching.
Re: Househelp... by slimyem: 5:42pm On Apr 11, 2013
^^that font's gon make me and probably some of your other fans be skipping your posts when i see them.undecided
Re: Househelp... by Okijajuju1(m): 5:44pm On Apr 11, 2013
slimyem: ^^that font's gon make me and probably some of your other fans be skipping your posts when i see them.undecided

ARGH!! I cant lose anymore fans o!!

Okay!! just for you, I will change it.. grin
Re: Househelp... by slimyem: 5:50pm On Apr 11, 2013
^Sweet!!gringrin cool smiley
Re: Househelp... by beblessed(f): 7:19pm On Apr 11, 2013
Ok. I don hear. Will speak to the help first before 'snitching'. The right thing is to alert my landlady on what happens in her abscene. What if the baby picks up some horribe habits while with the boy and girl? Na so bad thing dey start...
Re: Househelp... by ifyalways(f): 8:29pm On Apr 11, 2013
beblessed: Ok. I don hear. Will speak to the help first before 'snitching'. The right thing is to alert my landlady on what happens in her abscene. What if the baby picks up some horribe habits while with the boy and girl? Na so bad thing dey start...
Sorry oh but how old are you?Your ability to flow with just any idea even when you obviously know the right thing is somehow undecided

Okija_juju: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1. I love my font.. tongue

2. Sometimes these maids are not gotten as a result of a deal. More often than none, they are there against their will. Anyways, I get your point sha. Honestly I do, but I would advice the OP to first of all have a chat with the maid before snitching.
Chat with the maid about what?Did she employ the maid?Na so people dey carry themselves put for danger cos of over goody two shoes.She'll be lucky if the maid no pour spit for her eye,report her give her madam say she send am make she thief her madam jewelry.
Btw,nobody is saying that the maid does not have a life or should not live her life but she is employed and should stick to her working hours/days.Her off-days is there for her to do whatever.

She might be an innocent girl but can same be said of the company she's keeping?She only needs to be laid well,promised marriage and a good life and that little child would be kidnapped . . .if she's hanging with the wrong person.Not forgetting the sexually sickos out there.

1 Like

Re: Househelp... by agiboma(f): 8:41pm On Apr 11, 2013
@ op think about the child and tell the landlady
Re: Househelp... by Nobody: 9:19pm On Apr 11, 2013
my fear with this story is that some sick men now use HH to gain access to abuse the kids

thats my 2 cents

1 Like

Re: Househelp... by Nobody: 10:09pm On Apr 11, 2013
Gloriagee: This is in no way close to maltreating Househelps. The mother's expectation is that her baby be kept at home. What if the baby gets missing on one of the house girl's numerous trips? This woman would end up wishing she blew the whistle.

You're being really dramatic here.

How do you really know what the mother's expectations are? You've simply made an assumption. Why would the baby go missing? Unless the househelp is a 13-year-old, there's no reason why the baby won't be safe with her when she's out.

A well-treated househelp, that's treated like the rest of the family is a happy person. Sure you can force a househelp to remain indoors, and have no life outside work, but don't expect the children they care for to have an easy time. An aggrieved housemaid will most likely take out her frustration on her charges. Because that's what humans do - you push them to the wall, they'll bite back the only way they can. There's only so much a person can take. Even prisoners are allowed privileges.

It's a sad state of affairs when househelps are expected to have no lives of their own, just because they may come from an under-privileged background.

1 Like

Re: Househelp... by Gloriagee(f): 8:50am On Apr 12, 2013
My primary concern is for the baby's safety. Until we're certain that the mother is aware her baby's being taken out daily, both of us can only assume that the mum is aware/ not. And people over 13 years have been known to be kidnapped/ involved in accidents etc. The question is if any of this happens while the house girl's away with the baby, will the mum know the baby's exact whereabouts?

I'm all for the fair treatment of househelps... I don't even want one when I have a family.

But, nothing stops the house girl from being given a day off on weekends or even taking time off when Madam comes back in the evening. There are other ways to ensure a healthy work life balance for the house girl.

Siena:

How do you really know what the mother's expectations are? You've simply made an assumption. Why would the baby go missing? Unless the househelp is a 13-year-old, there's no reason why the baby won't be safe with her when she's out.

A well-treated househelp, that's treated like the rest of the family is a happy person. Sure you can force a househelp to remain indoors, and have no life outside work, but don't expect the children they care for to have an easy time. An aggrieved housemaid will most likely take out her frustration on her charges. Because that's what humans do - you push them to the wall, they'll bite back the only way they can. There's only so much a person can take. Even prisoners are allowed privileges.

It's a sad state of affairs when househelps are expected to have no lives of their own, just because they may come from an under-privileged background.
Re: Househelp... by Nobody: 8:18pm On Apr 12, 2013
Siena:

most nigerian workers have no lives of their own , especially in lagos - they leave home at 5, get back at 9 or 10, so all that househelp needs her own life is moot. most househelps actually have a very good deal - they get to watch the dstv the employers never have time to watch, eat the employers food at their own leisure and all that - some people have joked that they are working while their househelps are enjoying

as to baby being safe with the househelp while she's out, you will find that the househelp and you have very different ideas of safety - the househelp may not see it as a big deal to carry the baby on an okada, to feed the baby 'pure' water, to allow the baby to watch her and her bf going at it.

and you have completely missed the most dangerous issue - no one has any idea of the character of the boy she is hanging with. robberies, kidnaps are all based on inside info.

all this treating maids like human beings will make them better people doesn't necessarily ring true. to a lot of people from the maids background, their employers are alakowe mugus to be exploited to the fullest.

anyway - op better report - you may find yourself wishing you had later.

5 Likes

Re: Househelp... by bissong2005: 1:20am On Jun 24, 2013
Hello My Dear

Good day. I just came across your comment on my post on this forum. Please your comment is so touching and you do not know how it means to me. My Dad is Epelle Samuel Epelle.The last picture he sent to me is very far away. Since as you told me a cousin of yours got married to an Epelle can you just try as much as possible i get in contact with that your cousin. Even her number will do so much good. I believe using this forum mat be difficult for us to talk but if i have your number then i can call you tomorrow then we discuss better. I simple text sms will do. My name is Charles and i am 23.The address my mom use to use was No 39 aba oweri road. I dnt know if that address is even correct sef
I have finished my university and i am working now. If i have good information then i can even fly to Nigeria in no time. Like even the same week i get an Info. My mom iss dead. She died in 2008 and that was the last time i spoke to my dad. we have spoken on fone but never seen. My mom went to school in the University of Port Harcourt and that is were she met my dad. unforturnately my grand father was a D.O in Cameroon so my dad could not come around koz he would have just been locked up. Please let me even get in contact with you. My facebook name is Ell Bonjo or you can search me via my email bissong2005@yahoo.com. Here is my number +237 74789989

Please in the name of God let me get in touch with you or the cousin who married and epelle. You guys will help me

God Bless You My sister.
Re: Househelp... by Monicasque(f): 12:52pm On Jun 24, 2013
tell her. You do not wana blame yourself once the girl has done something bad ( not saying she will though) but she should know there is a difference between her being at work and her being at home

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Get Out? / Father And Son Take Same Photo For 27 Years. With A Happy Ending. / Nigerian Couple Kissing Ignores Their Worried 5 Months Old Baby(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.