Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,827 members, 7,828,023 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

How Often Should I Visit My In-laws? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Often Should I Visit My In-laws? (2460 Views)

What My In-Laws Served Me (photo) / Finally Got A Job After So Long, But My In-Laws Won't Let Me Have It! / Woman Caught By Her In-laws With Her Husband's Friend In A Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Often Should I Visit My In-laws? by angiemartinez(f): 10:19am On Nov 27, 2013
Pls nlanders i need advice, got married some months back and my MIL wants me to visit every week. I am not too ok wit it. Is it ideal? My hubby visits them on sundays wen he is in town, buh wen he is not chanced dey still xpect me to be around. Though my job is not too taskn n she is capitalizn on it that i dont have time for them. I try to make it once in 2weeks buh she still complains. Pls am i d one doin the wrong thing?
Re: How Often Should I Visit My In-laws? by Nobody: 10:24am On Nov 27, 2013
Don't ever start what you can't finish.Visit when you deem it convenient, it should be your decision to visit them not theirs.

6 Likes

Re: How Often Should I Visit My In-laws? by SniperOne: 10:26am On Nov 27, 2013
angiemartinez: Pls nlanders i need advice, got married some months back and my MIL wants me to visit every week. I am not too ok wit it. Is it ideal? My hubby visits them on sundays wen he is in town, buh wen he is not chanced dey still xpect me to do that

Well, we absolutely know nothing about your family and stuff. You better ask your spouse 'bout this and plan together.
Re: How Often Should I Visit My In-laws? by angiemartinez(f): 10:35am On Nov 27, 2013
In as much as i want us to be close, i try to call her atleast once in a week. My hubby just feel i should visit them but he didnt say how often.
Re: How Often Should I Visit My In-laws? by Mynd44: 10:40am On Nov 27, 2013
Make out time but it should be on your terms. Don't let anyone make you start things you will not find it easy continuing

1 Like

Re: How Often Should I Visit My In-laws? by SniperOne: 10:40am On Nov 27, 2013
angiemartinez: In as much as i want us to be close, i try to call her atleast once in a week. My hubby just feel i should visit them but he didnt say how often.

Here your choice shows up. But to phone her would really be something off track to your mate's requisite Idea.
Re: How Often Should I Visit My In-laws? by greatgod2012(f): 10:56am On Nov 27, 2013
Do what is comfortable and convenient for you, but make sure you maintain a very healthy relationship with her.
She's showing you love the way she deem it fit, and you also have to reciprocate the love the way you deem it fit, considering that one day, you too will become a MIL.
Re: How Often Should I Visit My In-laws? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Nov 27, 2013
Sniper_One:

Well, we absolutely know nothing about your family and stuff. You better ask your spouse 'bout this and plan together.
sniper has said it all
Re: How Often Should I Visit My In-laws? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Nov 27, 2013
greatgod2012: Do what is comfortable and convenient for you, but make sure you maintain a very healthy relationship with her.
She's showing you love the way she deem it fit, and you also have to reciprocate the love the way you deem it fit, considering that one day, you too will become a MIL.
yeah,and apart from that let your kids spend holidays with their paternal grand parents so that that way,they will be occupied with your kids wahala and not be so much into you again.the excitement of seeing their grand kids is enough for them
Re: How Often Should I Visit My In-laws? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Nov 27, 2013
I don't think she has kids yet.
Re: How Often Should I Visit My In-laws? by alabijohn: 12:18pm On Nov 27, 2013
let your husband cover up for you, he should be able to let her see why it isn't just possible to visit every week but try to be kind and free to her at least to some extent, remember, u ll become one one day.

Happy married life.
Re: How Often Should I Visit My In-laws? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Nov 27, 2013
For this reason a man shall leave father and mother and cleave to is wife. A bit different in your case, but if is not convenient, dont go every week. I think you are still in your early years of marriage, so dont let in laws dictate your marriage terms. Do continue to show them as much love and support in every possible way, but no need coming to sit there every Sunday doing nothing when you may have other things to do.

It appears your in-laws have a close knit family and that is very good, but forcing things is never ideal. What tends to happen, if you go there every week, is that they begin to force their ideas on you an your marriage. May be good, but may not be too good.
Re: How Often Should I Visit My In-laws? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Nov 27, 2013
whenever you feel like
Re: How Often Should I Visit My In-laws? by angiemartinez(f): 6:17pm On Nov 27, 2013
[quote author=alabijohn]let your husband cover up for you, he should be able to let her see why it isn't just possible to visit every week but try to be kind and free to her at least to some extent, remember, u ll become one one day.

Happy married life.
Am very kind and free wit her, its just this nagging issue that is makn me give her space.
Re: How Often Should I Visit My In-laws? by angiemartinez(f): 6:19pm On Nov 27, 2013
Thanks all for your contributions, am sure my seeing her every wkend wont make me to love her more or less.

(1) (Reply)

See The GIANT Python,my Roomie Killed / See How This Lady Displayed Her Baby Bump; Cute Family! / Can Erectile Dysfunction Make A Man This Frustrated?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.