Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,087 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries (14727 Views)

Jumia 2015 Black Fridays Sales In Nigeria Is A Scam / Positive Ideas Youths Can Use In Developing Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by SisiKill1: 12:36am On Apr 11, 2013
@ Topic
Big effing duh!!

I hope they didn't spend money coming to that conclusion oh..
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by FutureDon(m): 12:37am On Apr 11, 2013
princemolak: This is a great lie,i cnt trust dis report,it is obvious to the whole world that Nigeria is developing scientificaly and technologically

Baseless assertion, if not, give us examples and please don't give us that mobile phone crap oo smiley.

It could be argued persuasively that Naija remains an underdeveloped nation based on that bolded statement. You would hardly read about 'real' scientific research going on in those aforementioned countries
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by FutureDon(m): 12:39am On Apr 11, 2013
rapmike:
NOT SURPRISED

More surprised that you had to quote that long post. You must be a learner cheesy
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 12:39am On Apr 11, 2013
groovie:

My brother all this things u listed cannot be classified as scientific development, scientific development MUST always start from the foundation which is our schools. How can u explain a student of cell biology who will never view a cell with an electron microscope? or an electronic engineering student that will never connect put a simple on board circutory together, the list is endless. That my friend is the foundation of scientific development not all these industries most of which are owned by foreign investors and run by foreign hands

rotfl grin
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Edharmony: 12:42am On Apr 11, 2013
dnt lie 2 urself, 9ja really donot belong 2 science world, our leaders donot want us 2
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by systemz(m): 12:54am On Apr 11, 2013
Rossikk:

You need to use your brain and be less agreeable to just anybody's claims on the internet.

Let me give you an example:

Nigeria manufactures cars, buses, trucks, suvs (Innoson). Manufactures complete motorcycles, including principal component parts and engines (Qinggi). Manufactures computers, tablets and accessories (Zinox). Today the world's first and only black built satellite, NigerSat 2 sits in outer space, an achievement of Nigerian scientists. The Nigerian Navy now builds seaworthy vessels from scratch, with 100% local input, like NNS Andoni, a 31m Seaward Defence Boat. The Nigerian Defence Industries builds mortars and RPG launchers, armoured personnel carriers, and manufactures their own bullet proof vests. Nigeria has three functional nuclear reactors. Nigeria manufactures and fabricates aluminium. Manufactures chemicals, including agro-chemicals. Manufactures paint. Manufactures drugs for the pharmaceutical industry. Nigeria processes solid minerals like Calcium Carbonate, Dolomite, and Limestone. I could go on and on and on..

Now, there are many countries that are NOT on that list of ''those lagging behind'', who cannot boast of 1/5 of the achievements I've just outlined.

WHY THEN SHOULD WE ACCEPT THE LIST?

When even YOU don't know what is produced in Nigeria, how will some foreign group not wake up and include Nigeria on any stupid list? They know you don't read or research. That's what gives them the audacity.

I mean, just because CNN and co choose to IGNORE all scientific strides made in Nigeria (afterall is Boko Haram not the only worthy news item?) does not mean WE in Nigeria will pretend we are standing still.

What a wonderful input!

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by cold(m): 1:03am On Apr 11, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
99.9% of African countries are on that list.

I'm not really surprised.

In this age and time, we're still using spinach leaves to cure cancer.
Your argument is useless.What if scientists come up tomorrow with a claim that spinach cures cancer?I'm sure you'd be singing their praises to the high heavens.The first effective treatment against malaria came from the bark of Cinchona tree which contains quinine.The next effective treatment was also derived from a plant popularly known as sweet wormwood (biologically known as Artemisia Annua).So again I reiterate,your argument is invalid.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by delors(m): 1:08am On Apr 11, 2013
Before nko? When na philosophy, history, sociology etc students dey go study for school... cry
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:12am On Apr 11, 2013
You need to use your brain and be less agreeable to just anybody's claims on the internet.

Let me give you an example:

Nigeria manufactures cars, buses, trucks, suvs (Innoson). Manufactures complete motorcycles, including principal component parts and engines (Qinggi). Manufactures computers, tablets and accessories (Zinox). Today the world's first and only black built satellite, NigerSat 2 sits in outer space, an achievement of Nigerian scientists. The Nigerian Navy now builds seaworthy vessels from scratch, with 100% local input, like NNS Andoni, a 31m Seaward Defence Boat. The Nigerian Defence Industries builds mortars and RPG launchers, armoured personnel carriers, and manufactures their own bullet proof vests. Nigeria has three functional nuclear reactors. Nigeria manufactures and fabricates aluminium. Manufactures chemicals, including agro-chemicals. Manufactures paint. Manufactures drugs for the pharmaceutical industry. Nigeria processes solid minerals like Calcium Carbonate, Dolomite, and Limestone. I could go on and on and on..

Now, there are many countries that are NOT on that list of ''those lagging behind'', who cannot boast of 1/5 of the achievements I've just outlined.

WHY THEN SHOULD WE ACCEPT THE LIST?

When even YOU don't know what is produced in Nigeria, how will some foreign group not wake up and include Nigeria on any stupid list? They know you don't read or research. That's what gives them the audacity.

I mean, just because CNN and co choose to IGNORE all scientific strides made in Nigeria (afterall is Boko Haram not the only worthy news item?) does not mean WE in Nigeria will pretend we are standing still.

She has a point. Sometimes you argue blindly.

Reverse Engineering or reinventing the wheel is not Real Science or Engineering. How many Scientific theories or new bottom line inventions have we initiated ?

Find the cure for Aids; the roots/herbs are in your rain forest and be counted among giants.

[/quote]
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:15am On Apr 11, 2013
cold:
Your argument is useless.What if scientists come up tomorrow with a claim that spinach cures cancer? I'm sure you'd be singing their praises to the high heavens.The first effective treatment against malaria came from the bark of Cinchona tree which contains quinine.The next effective treatment was also derived from a plant popularly known as sweet wormwood (biologically known as Artemisia Annua).So again I reiterate,your argument is invalid.
Okay, efo is the cure for cancer. undecided
For all you Nigerians that eat eba in the morning, day and night with efo/egusi, you're cured of any cancer.

Unfortunately, Nigeria is not scientifically developed enough to test and confirm/reject that hypothesis.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:16am On Apr 11, 2013
IMO a country with great scientific achievement should have the following attributes:

A very high percentage of quality math/science/engineering inclined students and prospects as evidenced by:

1.Stellar national exam scores all round the country
2.Frequent and competitive presence in world-class grade-level international competitions
3. High numbers of quality students opting for a career in diverse areas of scientific research or engineering
4. Exchange programs with other similarly inclined countries

A visible and influential scientific community, evidenced by

1. Intensive financial support from the government and wealthy philanthropists.
2. World class and highly respected university science departments equipped with state of the art infrastructure
3. Highly funded scientific organizations and facilities that are manned by homegrown, quality talent.
4. Mass dissemination of related news/stories/popular culture via social media, popular scientific magazines, science fiction stories/novels/movies, and scientific documentaries - all home based.
5. Sizable number of empowered, sophisticated, and respected personalities or figures in science that are completely homegrown.
6. Ground-breaking research, innovation and discoveries

Lastly (and most importantly), a nation largely sustained by science. Evidenced by:

1. World class healthcare, with sufficient numbers of quality hospitals and home-grown technology to benefit the masses. Highly competent medical professionals
2. An ability to exploit or change our natural environment using science for our benefit
3. Standard and up to par infrastructure all round the board - from transportation to agriculture
4. A sizable portion of the national GDP ascribed to manufacturing
4. Greater segments of the population having a "scientific," inquiring or logical mindset

If Nigeria meets most or all of the above, then I stand to be corrected.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:17am On Apr 11, 2013
delors: Before nko? When na philosophy, history, sociology etc students dey go study for school... cry

School?

School ko.

We're more concerned with BBMs and 2go. Azonto na our national anthem.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:20am On Apr 11, 2013
^^^^It's just not about that, Nigeria doesn't have the required facilities to educate and train the youths... undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:21am On Apr 11, 2013
nnenna.1:
IMO a country with great scientific achievement should have the following attributes:
A very high percentage of quality math/science/engineering inclined students and prospects as evidenced by:
1.Stellar national exam scores all round the country
2.Frequent and competitive presence in world-class grade-level international competitions
3. High numbers of quality students opting for a career in diverse areas of scientific research or engineering
4. Exchange programs with other similarly inclined countries
A visible and influential scientific community, evidenced by
1. Intensive financial support from the government and wealthy philanthropists.
2. World class and highly respected university science departments equipped with state of the art infrastructure
3. Highly funded scientific organizations and facilities that are manned by homegrown, quality talent.
4. Mass dissemination of related news/stories/popular culture via social media, popular scientific magazines, science fiction stories/novels/movies, and scientific documentaries - all home based.
5. Sizable number of empowered, sophisticated, and respected personalities or figures in science that are completely homegrown.
6. Ground-breaking research, innovation and discoveries
Lastly (and most importantly), a nation largely sustained by science. Evidenced by:
1. World class healthcare, with sufficient numbers of quality hospitals and home-grown technology to benefit the masses. Highly competent medical professionals
2. An ability to exploit or change our natural environment using science for our benefit
3. Standard and up to par infrastructure all round the board - from transportation to agriculture
4. A sizable portion of the national GDP ascribed to manufacturing
4. Greater segments of the population having a "scientific," inquiring or logical mindset
If Nigeria meets most or all of the above, then I stand to be corrected.
USA is amongst the scientifically-progressed nation, yet it can only check of 10% of the items on your list.

The thing about good ol USA is that she imports intellects from other countries such as Israel, Nigeria, India, China, etc.

We call it brain drain.

USA is draining Nigeria of it's intellects, leaving the country with eba-fufu brain.

Just saying. No offense.

USA should thank the Jews for their contribution. Seriously.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by cold(m): 1:25am On Apr 11, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Okay, efo is the cure for cancer. undecided
For all you Nigerians that eat eba in the morning, day and night with efo/egusi, you're cured of any cancer.

Unfortunately, Nigeria is not scientifically developed enough to test and confirm/reject that hypothesis.
The struggle to sound sarcastic.Unfortunately your attempts are so feeble they're ludicrous.Friendly advice,refrain from intelligent debates or your arguments will be torn to shreds..just saying.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:25am On Apr 11, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
99.9% of African countries are on that list.

I'm not really surprised.

In this age and time, we're still using spinach leaves to cure cancer.

It's obvious you don't understand science. Most of the drugs you pop into your mouth are made from plant extracts. In fact, if people eat more of REAL Natural food like vegetables,food rich in fibers eg.Cassava, Yam,, nuts and not Junks that you eat over there; there would be very less cancer.

Living in Texas doesn't make you smart or civilize. Next time, think or perhaps educate yourself, lest you appear a fool in a hurry to talk without thinking.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by GeneralJ(m): 1:25am On Apr 11, 2013
Orikinla: Nigeria Among 81 Countries Lagging Behind In Science

Nigeria is among the following 81 science-lagging developing countries identified by The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS).

Afghanistan
Angola
Azerbaijan
Bangladesh
Belize
Benin
Bhutan
Botswana
Burkina Faso
Burundi
Cambodia
Cameroon
Cape Verde
Central African Republic
Chad
Comoros Islands
Congo, Dem. Rep.
Congo, Rep.
Côte d'Ivoire
Djibouti
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
El Salvador
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Gabon
Gambia
Ghana
Guatemala
Guinea-Bissau
Guinea
Guyana
Haiti
Honduras
Indonesia
Jamaica
Kenya
Kiribati
Korea DPR
Kyrgyzstan
Lao PDR
Lesotho
Liberia
Madagascar
Malawi
Maldives
Mali
Mauritania
Mongolia
Mozambique
Myanmar
Nepal
Nicaragua
Niger
Nigeria
Papua New Guinea
Paraguay
Peru
Rwanda
Samoa
São Tome and Principe
Senegal
Sierra Leone
Solomon Islands
Somalia
South Sudan
Sudan
Suriname
Tajikistan
Tanzania
Timor-Leste
Togo
Tuvalu
Uganda
Uzbekistan
Vanuatu
Vietnam
Yemen
Zambia
Zimbabwe

About TWAS
TWAS is an autonomous international organization based in Trieste, Italy. Its principal aim is to promote scientific capacity and excellence for sustainable development in the South.

Source: http://twas.ictp.it/common/STLC

Bullshit, so what of egypt and iraq, or are those science perfect?, why is North Korea on this list, they are self sufficient in terms of technology this list is BULLSHIT

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:26am On Apr 11, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

USA is amongst the scientifically-progressed nation, yet it can only check of 10% of the items on your list.

The thing about good ol USA is that she imports intellects from other countries such as Israel, Nigeria, India, China, etc.

We call it brain drain.

USA is draining Nigeria of it's intellects, leaving the country with eba-fufu brain.

Just saying. No offense.

USA should thank the Jews for their contribution. Seriously.

The US can actually lay claim to a lot of what I mentioned above, though not all.

As far as scientifically advanced countries, my model country is Japan grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:27am On Apr 11, 2013
We re "sumtyms" d problem of dis country. We re too engross in listning 2 -ve news abt dis country. Dis is a country where HOLLANDIA's peak milk is preferable 2 NIGERIA's peak milk(which is even cheaper dan d former) . OKATI is a company in nigeria dat bulds cars from d scratch( one of his companies is in ondo state). We hv 2 hv it in mind dat d future of dis country lies in our hands, because as dis country is going ryt nw, our leaders dont give a damn abt us, they re busy looting nd destroying dis our beloved jerusalam. We hv 2 embrace wat we hv first, we can even approach d problem of dis country through science nd technology. Its nt abt wat goverment can do 4 us(dey re all d same) but wat we can do 2 move dis country forward. Japan started sumwhere, we shld believe in ourselves nt dis white men dat will neva c good tins comin out of Nigeria/Africa. One tin dat i always pray 4 is God shld prevent war in dis country cos no country in Africa can accommodate us in Africa, imagine just 20 million out of 160 million nigerians troopin 2 ghana, dat means ghana is doom, na 2 close border sure pass 4 ghana(pls ghanians shld nt take dis as insult, just tryin 2 prove my points, pls). Talents re wasting in dis country, its tym 2 make use of those talents, u can c many programmers on NL, sum will tell u abt a new phone like say na him do d phone. Dont let dem luk down on us, we hv wat it takes in dis country, d whites re nt angel dey re human lyk us in Nigeria/Africa. I BELIEVE IN NIGERIA, I BELIEVE IN YOU I BELIEVE IN AFRICA I BELIEVE IN GOD. * pls dont mind my grammatical errors, understanding is d key* ONE LOVE NIGERIANS ONE LOVE AFRICA.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:28am On Apr 11, 2013
shymexx: ^^^^It's just not about that, Nigeria doesn't have the required facilities to educate and train the youths... undecided undecided

It's about both and all of the above.

PS: We lack the facilities and the Sight.

A scientist must have a sharp psychology/perception to differentiate normality from abnormality.

Me search is research.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:30am On Apr 11, 2013
Olodostein:
It's obvious you don't understand science. Most of the drugs you pop into your mouth are made from plant extracts. In fact, if people eat more of REAL Natural food like vegetables,food rich in fibers eg.Cassava, Yam,, nuts and not Junks that you eat over there; there would be very less cancer.
Living in Texas doesn't make you smart or civilize. Next time, think or perhaps educate yourself, lest you appear a fool in a hurry to talk without thinking.
First of all, I was making an indirect reference to those that visit babalawo and Okija shrine to cure ailments such as cancer.
Of course many of our herbs are "treatments'.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:32am On Apr 11, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

A scientist must have a sharp psychology/perception to differentiate normality from abnormality.

Me search is research.

Do you know the huge sum of money most western countries set aside for science research every year?? For students to thrive in science, you need the facilities and a conducive environment; and Nigeria lacks both...
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:32am On Apr 11, 2013
cold:
The struggle to sound sarcastic.Unfortunately your attempts are so feeble they're ludicrous.Friendly advice,refrain from intelligent debates or your arguments will be torn to shreds..just saying.

Oh really, you've shredded my argument?
GTFHO, son.
Pseudo-intellect, pele.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by PhysicsQED(m): 1:33am On Apr 11, 2013
Rossikk: What amazes me is the way people simply accept whatever these fly-by-night, mom and pop foreign organizations announce in their 'newsletters'.

Who are they?

Nobody asks.

Oyibo has declared. So God himself has spoken. No need to question.

[size=20pt]PATHETIC.[/size]

Apparently you didn't bother to ask who they are either, for you to say "oyibo has declared."

Here's a clue for you, since you're badly in need of a clue: they aren't "oyibos."

Try and actually do some searching for answers yourself before making silly comments.

TWAS was founded by people from developing countries (the so-called 'Third World') and exists chiefly to assist scientists from the developing world in transforming and improving the scientific capacity of their home countries. Incidentally, a Nigerian medical researcher (Thomas Adeoye Lambo) was among the founding members of the organization. The founding executive director of the organization is Mohamed H. A. Hassan (who is also a former president of African Academy of Science), a Sudanese physicist. "Oyibo" indeed.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:34am On Apr 11, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

A scientist must have a sharp[b] psychology/perception to differentiate normality from abnormality. [/b]

Me search is research.
]

What kind of science do you mean? is it organic chemistry, biological sciences, quantum mechanics, rocket science, computation or pseudo science.

Abeg, no disgrace scientist. Abeg you with God cheesy
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by PhysicsQED(m): 1:34am On Apr 11, 2013
Anybody who denies that Nigeria is seriously lagging behind in science is simply delusional or ignorant or both. It's not even debatable.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:36am On Apr 11, 2013
shymexx:
Do you know the huge sum of money most western countries set aside for science research every year?? For students to thrive in science, you need the facilities and a conducive environment; and Nigeria lacks both...

I'm going to allude to the conversation we had earlier about PhD students and their 100% funded studies. Where do you think the money came from?
So yes. . . .yes I know.
Is that the excuse we're going to make for NIgeria's scientifically-regression? An oil country can't fund science research(es)?
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:38am On Apr 11, 2013
Olodostein: ]
What kind of science do you mean? is it organic chemistry, biological sciences, quantum mechanics, rocket science, computation or pseudo science.
Abeg, no disgrace scientist. Abeg you with God cheesy

Calm down mr science.
Any sharp scientist/researcher should be able to quickly point out "abnormality" from normality in what she's studying is what I meant.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by cold(m): 1:40am On Apr 11, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Oh really, you've shredded my argument?
GTFHO, son.
Pseudo-intellect, pele.
Lol,very typical.You resort to vulgarities when you've nothing intelligent to say.I choose to let this slide just this once cuz this JD is making me feel like the Most High.However, I urge you to restrain yourself & don't push your luck.I don't suffer charlatans lightly.Enough said
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:41am On Apr 11, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

I'm going to allude to the conversation we had earlier about PhD students and their 100% funded studies. Where do you think the money came from?
So yes. . . .yes I know.
Is that the excuse we're going to make for NIgeria's scientifically-regression? An oil country can't fund science research(es)?

Even if the government starts doling out funds to Ph.D students for research(es) - where are the facilities to do that The truth is that, the educational system in Nigeria is fundamentally flawed from its foundation, and the country needs a complete overhaul of the system...

They need to re-write the syllabus and start again from the scratch... The country, at the moment, is just producing lousy and half-baked illiterates... Go to the programming section and see how these clowns brag about programming skills and lack thereof - when it's obvious that most of these clowns don't even understand the basics of programming and programming languages... That's the Nigerian style of education 101... undecided undecided
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:43am On Apr 11, 2013
Several years ago, Gabriel Oyibo’s
name was mentioned in the
same scientific circles as
Emeagwali. Oyibo, a native of
Nigeria who has resided in the
states for quite awhile, claimed
to have done something Albert
Einstein could not do: formulate
a united theorem of everything.
While his mathematical
deductions and equations have
received recognition from
various respected physicists,
there remains a number who are
not sure what to make of it. So,
the jury is still out whether Oyibo
has done what no other has —
and we await approval from a
consensus of scientists qualified
to comprehend his calculations.tnj.com/features/nigerians-america
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:47am On Apr 11, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

School?

School ko. We're more concerned with BBMs and 2go. Azonto na our national anthem.

grin grin grin

Texas.Cowgirl:

Calm down mr science.
Any sharp scientist/researcher should be able to quickly point out "abnormality" from normality in what she's studying is what I meant.

You made sense. Generally bringing in 'perception' was way off point, since it doesn't apply to all sciences cheesy

I respect the Japanese more. They bridge science with tradition. That, to me, is pure genius cool.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

To The Adminstrators! / 18 Reasons Your Facebook Account Got Blocked / Good Bye To N97/litre As You Can Now Run Your Generator With Gas.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.