Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,804 members, 7,820,814 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:18 PM

Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries (14736 Views)

Jumia 2015 Black Fridays Sales In Nigeria Is A Scam / Positive Ideas Youths Can Use In Developing Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:47am On Apr 11, 2013
It wouldn't surprise me if many our pseud-intellects tries to claim that Nigeria should remain traditional and not bend to the Western view f what science is.

Have we Nigerian forgotten that the developed world were at Nigeria;s stage a few decades ago?

The medicine we have now, we invented them for survival. Just like how we progressed from hunting to job specializations.

Nigeria needs to step up. Science is critically important.

I heard that the US military is at the process of engineering bugs that are able to poison/destroy their enemies' crop, inevitable overpowering their enemies' resources during war.
Let assume that this has been done (not impossible), how will Nigeria survive if USA decides to overpower us? Many of you dolts think that war is conquered with weapons and might, while foolishly ignoring science and the damage it can do.

Same way the Europeans reduced the Native American's population with the gift of "smallpox blanket'.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:49am On Apr 11, 2013
I'm not surprised and I'm sure no one is surprised.......

Firstly, we have to do away with superstitions, myths, and unproven ideas...... We rely too much on the supernatural and often call on them to solve our problems for us...

Science and technology are built on the willingness of a society to solve their problems and grab their destinies in their own hands, and not rushing to a Pastor, Witch-doctors e.t.c for answers.....

Secondly, we need to improve our educational system.. Our syllabuses are out of date and out of touch. Right from infancy, our kids' mind ought to be channelled towards creativity and abstract thinking....

We should design a syllabus that would encourage teachers to take kids on a journey of discovery, rather than teaching our kids a monotonous and repetitious concept....

We should encourage our kids to experiment with science from a young age.

E.g, maybe after being taught about rockets, they are taken to a field and are taught how to build 1.

Thirdly, our parents have to be less pushy regarding what their children want to study.... The 'you MUST be a lawyer, doctor or accountant' phrase has to stop. There are many branches of science and technology our kids can venture into, which will in turn benefit our society as a whole.

Fourthly, we have to be more tolerant and embrace eccentric characters more ( I don't mean bizarre eccentricity). This is because some people society often find eccentric can be very creative. We should say NO to unnecessary ostracism.

Don't get me wrong, we do embrace odd characters but they are usually screwed towards the supernatural, which does us no good. We will gladly embrace a man that calls himself God and walks to the forest in the middle of the night with burning calabash on his head..haha grin grin grin ... We won't however embrace a JSS3 dude that is withdrawn and always wanna figure out how he could make water-bottles fly.... grin grin grin grin grin

Finally, we should embrace reasoning with passion... Reasonable people are less prone to violence and more likely to embrace science and technology. The more reasonable you are, the more you wanna probe, gather evidence, and less gullible you become. Reasonable people are often science and technology loving people....

In summary, all I'm saying is that for us to be a top science country, we have to change our cultural and educational approach toward science

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by cronsberg: 1:50am On Apr 11, 2013
For the fact that this "report" didn't include countries like tunisia, libya, morroco and many south american countries, i will consider the report as a goddam LIE. What the h,ell does a country like morroco or tunisia manufacture in terms of science that we don't have in nija? I've never been to either countries, but CERTAINLY we in nigeria are far ahead of them in terms of scientific development, i can bet my left nut on that.
BTW,the italy that the so called report originated from, what f.ucking scientific base do they have? Italy that imports everything from industrial machinery, to high tech products from germany, japan and taiwan. Infact the scientific development they are talking about is things like stem cell research, semi conductors, high tech precision systems, micro processors e.t.c those are the base of any new invention, Italy itself manufacture ZERO of them so they should also be on the list goddam hypocrites angry .

with that said, i know FOR SURE nigeria is not behind in scientific development, what about the nuclear reaserch centers in kaduna, the stem cell research labs in Vom and Jos, the open heart surgery hospital in enugu and many more examples.
I am sick and tired of those people sitting in there offices in italy, gathering outdated data from the 1980s via internet to finally come out and make Hypocritical studies/articles/findings nothing but crap
no wonder vladamir putin kicked them(NGOs) out of russia. they do nothing but mischief.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:52am On Apr 11, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
It wouldn't surprise me if many our pseud-intellects tries to claim that Nigeria should remain traditional and not bend to the Western view f what science is.

Have we Nigerian forgotten that the developed world were at Nigeria;s stage a few decades ago?

The medicine we have now, we invented them for survival. Just like how we progressed from hunting to job specializations.

Nigeria needs to step up. Science is critically important.

I heard that the US military is at the process of engineering bugs that are able to poison/destroy their enemies' crop, inevitable overpowering their enemies' resources during war.
Let assume that this has been done (not impossible), how will Nigeria survive if USA decides to overpower us? Many of you dolts think that war is conquered with weapons and might, while foolishly ignoring science and the damage it can do.

Same way the Europeans reduced the Native American's population with the gift of "smallpox blanket'.

There's nothing bad in letting science and our traditional way of life meet half-way... It worked for China, who says it can't work for us?? undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:52am On Apr 11, 2013
shymexx:
Even if the government starts doling out funds to Ph.D students for research(es) - where are the facilities to do that The truth is that, the educational system in Nigeria is fundamentally flawed from its foundation, and the country needs a complete overhaul of the system...
They need to re-write the syllabus and start again from the scratch... The country, at the moment, is just producing lousy and half-baked illiterates... Go to the programming section and see how these clowns brag about programming skills and lack thereof - when it's obvious that most of these clowns don't even understand the basics of programming and programming languages... That's the Nigerian style of education 101... undecided undecided

LOL Shymmex, why are you fighting me?

I agreed that all of the factors you and I mentioned play a huge role on while Nigeria is lagging behind.

You can't pick one and exclude the other. Nigeria lacks ALL of the above.

What's the point of facility without brain? Brain without facility? We need all to operate.
A lot of Nigerians are in serious denial.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:55am On Apr 11, 2013
delors: Before nko? When na philosophy, history, sociology etc students dey go study for school... cry

No go there abeg grin. Where do you think the scientific method Empiricism sprung from ? Science was initially called Natural philosophy. Or haven't you heard of philosophy of science and the likes of Karl Popper..... Easy bro. Philosophy is king if used rightly cool
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:55am On Apr 11, 2013
shymexx:
There's nothing bad in letting science and our traditional way of life meet half-way... It worked for China, who says it can't work for us?? undecided undecided
Okay. What will babalawos contribute? grin
What traditional medicine do we practice in today's age and time? They were left behind the minute Europeans started stigmatizing "Esu"as the devil.
In 2013, Nigeria's traditional medicine = Babalawo and Okija that sings to empty calabash.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by RedLight1: 1:57am On Apr 11, 2013
Rossikk:

You need to use your brain and be less agreeable to just anybody's claims on the internet.

Let me give you an example:

Nigeria manufactures cars, buses, trucks, suvs (Innoson). Manufactures complete motorcycles, including principal component parts and engines (Qinggi). Manufactures computers, tablets and accessories (Zinox). Today the world's first and only black built satellite, NigerSat 2 sits in outer space, an achievement of Nigerian scientists. The Nigerian Navy now builds seaworthy vessels from scratch, with 100% local input, like NNS Andoni, a 31m Seaward Defence Boat. The Nigerian Defence Industries builds mortars and RPG launchers, armoured personnel carriers, and manufactures their own bullet proof vests. Nigeria has three functional nuclear reactors. Nigeria manufactures and fabricates aluminium. Manufactures chemicals, including agro-chemicals. Manufactures paint. Manufactures drugs for the pharmaceutical industry. Nigeria processes solid minerals like Calcium Carbonate, Dolomite, and Limestone. I could go on and on and on..

Now, there are many countries that are NOT on that list of ''those lagging behind'', who cannot boast of 1/5 of the achievements I've just outlined.

WHY THEN SHOULD WE ACCEPT THE LIST?

When even YOU don't know what is produced in Nigeria, how will some foreign group not wake up and include Nigeria on any stupid list? They know you don't read or research. That's what gives them the audacity.

I mean, just because CNN and co choose to IGNORE all scientific strides made in Nigeria (afterall is Boko Haram not the only worthy news item?) does not mean WE in Nigeria will pretend we are standing still.

oh lawd... I wish i can like dis post more than 1ce...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:58am On Apr 11, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

LOL Shymmex, why are you fighting me?

I agreed that all of the factors you and I mentioned play a huge role on while Nigeria is lagging behind.

You can't pick one and exclude the other. Nigeria lacks ALL of the above.

What's the point of facility without brain? Brain without facility? We need all to operate.

I honestly believe the brain is there, we just lack the required facilities and training to get these kids to the next level...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 1:58am On Apr 11, 2013
nnenna.1:

That is the point. It is fatalistic; worse than ignorance.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 2:01am On Apr 11, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Okay. What will babalawos contribute? grin
What traditional medicine do we practice in today's age and time? They were left behind the minute Europeans started stigmatizing "Esu"as the devil.
In 2013, Nigeria's traditional medicine = Babalawo and Okija that sings to empty calabash.

Science, culture, and tradition can co-exist - you're arguing off tangent now...

Our problem has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with our culture(s) and tradition(s) - and more to do with the fundamentally flawed educational system in that country!
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 2:01am On Apr 11, 2013
shymexx:
Even if the government starts doling out funds to Ph.D students for research(es) - where are the facilities to do that The truth is that, the educational system in Nigeria is fundamentally flawed from its foundation, and the country needs a complete overhaul of the system...
They need to re-write the syllabus and start again from the scratch... The country, at the moment, is just producing lousy and half-baked illiterates... Go to the programming section and see how these clowns brag about programming skills and lack thereof - when it's obvious that most of these clowns don't even understand the basics of programming and programming languages... That's the Nigerian style of education 101... undecided undecided
shymexx:
I honestly believe the brain is there, we just lack the required facilities and training to get these kids to the next level...
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 2:03am On Apr 11, 2013
shymexx:
Science, culture, and tradition can co-exist - you're arguing off tangent now...
Our problem has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with our culture(s) and tradition(s) - and more to do with the fundamentally flawed educational system in that country!
Not disagreeing with you, but how can out culture/traditional medicine coexist in today's medicine?
How? I'm curious.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 2:04am On Apr 11, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

You're still not getting my point... The brain is there but they lack the proper training!!

Can you discern it now??
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 2:07am On Apr 11, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Not disagreeing with you, but how can out culture/traditional medicine coexist in today's medicine?
How? I'm curious.

Both can exist side by side... Even in Europe, there are still traditional Chinese and Indian herbal medicine everywhere...

The info. about the body in charge of regulating them is here: http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Howweregulate/Medicines/Herbalmedicinesregulation/

However, that's not the topic in discourse, is it??
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 2:07am On Apr 11, 2013
shymexx:
You're still not getting my point... The brain is there but they lack the proper training!!
Can you discern it now??

Ehrmmm you can say the same for Ghana, Brukina-F, and every other country on the OP's list.

Every huan is endowed with a brain.

I guess I get your point (?)
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 2:10am On Apr 11, 2013
shymexx:
Both can exist side by side... Even in Europe, there are still traditional Chinese and Indian herbal medicine everywhere...
The info. about the body in charge of regulating them is here: http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Howweregulate/Medicines/Herbalmedicinesregulation/
However, that's not the topic in discourse, is it??

Still didn't answer my question about Nigeria's traditional medicine.

But seeing as you din't know "how" and "what, we can ignore the question and move on.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 2:10am On Apr 11, 2013
I agree with the inclusion of Nigeria on that list. It is time the leaders start spending money to build modern labs, scientific research centers, encourage interactive use of applications and invest heavily on practical/applied science projects all over the country.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by mrofficial2(m): 2:24am On Apr 11, 2013
The federal government is dormant. These are the people who should strive and empower the youths in making sure we meet up with today's science world not the contrary.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 2:25am On Apr 11, 2013
shymexx:

Ha ha ha grin grin. 4 Naija, people dey use mouth build plane grin
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Godogwu: 2:27am On Apr 11, 2013
If for some reason i believed this report for one sec, I'll like to know what countries like Cuba, Barbados, Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Thaliand amognst many others produce or develop that makes them "non-lagging" science countries .
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Godogwu: 2:29am On Apr 11, 2013
nnenna.1:

Nahh some of us just don't eat any crap thats fed to us just cause the spoon is clean.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Kairoseki77: 2:30am On Apr 11, 2013
F* these fools.

In 2113 Nigeria will be number 1.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by nice4life: 2:35am On Apr 11, 2013
I think we are still very strong up to high school however with the present of tertiary institution in Nigeria I wouldn't agree less.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 2:35am On Apr 11, 2013
Godogwu: If for some reason i believed this report for one sec, I'll like to know what countries like Cuba, Barbados, Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Thaliand amognst many others produce or develop that makes them "non-lagging" science countries .
Does Nigeria have a functional research center like center for Biological research? Cuz all the countries you mentioned have it.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by MacLovington(m): 2:52am On Apr 11, 2013
Olodostein:

No go there abeg grin. Where do you think the scientific method Empiricism sprung from ? Science was initially called Natural philosophy. Or haven't you heard of philosophy of science and the likes of Karl Popper..... Easy bro. Philosophy is king if used rightly cool

Correct my brother. Philosophy is the basis of science and all learning. If you can't think or formulate hypotheses (plural) to prove or disprove, you cannot event. That's why you still have PhD. Dr of Philosphy in Maths, Biology, English, Igbo etc.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by MacLovington(m): 3:06am On Apr 11, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Does Nigeria have a function research centers like center for Biological research? Cuz all the country you mentioned has it.

Actually there are some. And they publish work too. The likes of UI, UNIBEN, ABU, UNN, UNILAG etc used to publish very high quality stuff internationally. Not sure about now.

Medical/pharmaceutical is one gold mine Naija has not done enough in. We ought to be the reference country for tropical disease innovations and twin research (SW Naija has highest twin prevalence worlwide). Other areas are IT, construction material/material science and agriculture.

NIFOR (Nigerian Institute for Oil Palm Research: Notable venue of meeting between Gowon/FG and Ojukwu to discuss Aburi Accord which Ojukwu didn't attend)in Edo state are doing some decent plant genetics work.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 3:15am On Apr 11, 2013
MacLovington: .

Actually there are some. And they publish work too. The likes of UI, UNIBEN, ABU, UNN, UNILAG etc used to publish very high quality stuff internationally. Not sure about now.

Medical/pharceutical is one gold mine Naija has not done enough in. We ought to be the reference country for tropical disease innovations and twin research (SW Naija has highest twin prevalence worlwide). Other areas are IT, construction material/material science and agriculture.

NIFOR (Nigerian Institute for Oil Palm Research: Notable venue of meeting between Gowon/FG and Ojukwu to discuss Aburi Accord which Ojukkwu didn't attend)in Edo state are doing some decent plant genetics work.

Well, when you're sure, a ma soro (we'll talk). We're talking about NOW, but since you're not sure whether they're all still function, let's forget this conversation.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Godogwu: 3:20am On Apr 11, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Does Nigeria have a functional research center like center for Biological research? Cuz all the countries you mentioned have it.

Nigerian Institute of Medical research in Lagos and Nigerian Institute for pharmaceutical development in Abuja. I hope these satisfy your requests and i dont believe a scientific research center is all that is needed to make a county more "science enthusiastic" if you may.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by obowunmi(m): 3:31am On Apr 11, 2013
before nko? no equipments to do practical. Practicals are what makes science fun.
Re: Nigeria Is Among Science-Lagging Developing Countries by Nobody: 3:31am On Apr 11, 2013
MacLovington: .

Medical/pharceutical is one gold mine Naija has not done enough in. We ought to be the reference country for tropical disease innovations and twin research (SW Naija has highest twin prevalence worlwide). Other areas are IT, construction material/material science and agriculture.

NIFOR (Nigerian Institute for Oil Palm Research: Notable venue of meeting between Gowon/FG and Ojukwu to discuss Aburi Accord which Ojukkwu didn't attend)in Edo state are doing some decent plant genetics work.

At least you concede somewhat with the bolded.

There is a difference between having standing institutions and inferring that those institutions produce quality work or are fully functional.

Refer to this argument:

Nigeria has several universities.

Therefore, Nigerian universities are not lagging educationally.

Is the argument reasonable?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

18 Reasons Your Facebook Account Got Blocked / Good Bye To N97/litre As You Can Now Run Your Generator With Gas. / Prototype Of A Made-in-nigeria Excavator (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.