Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,084 members, 7,814,749 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati (8059 Views)

"PDP Frustrating Our Case At Rivers Election Tribunal" - APC / History Beckons As Buhari Sets To Unseat Jonathan - Leadership Newspaper / FFK Blast Premiumtimes And Leadership Newspaper On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by Nathaniel734: 2:05am On Apr 11, 2013
The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati has said President Goodluck Jonathan, holds the media in high esteem and its freedom sacred hence nothing should be done to abuse it.

In a long press statement titled “Leadership Newspaper, Media Responsibility and the Police”, Abati, insisted, the invitation by the Nigeria Police Force to Leadership newspapers over its story which purported that a presidential directive had been issued to clamp down on opposition parties and its key figures was not an attempt to stifle the press but as part of police responsibilities to ensure that it act in the public interest.

The Presidential Spokesman in response to Leadership newspaper’s position that the invitation of its editors and reporters was part of government plan to abridge the freedom of the press, said rather than view the invitation from this context, it behoves on Leadership and the media to ‘to double check their claims, and where errors had been made, to quickly retract the story”.

He noted that Nigerians fought so hard to end an era whereby serious attempts were made to muzzle the media, hence unfettered contributions, investigations and accountability audit of those holding public office today and tomorrow is welcomed.

The Leadership newspapers had in a banner headline alleged that government had issued a presidential directive to security agencies to truncate the propose merger of opposition parties in order to present a formidable challenge to the Peoples Democratic Party in the coming elections.

Following the disavowal of the presidentcy to the existence of such directive, Leadership newspaper published a bromide of what it said was the directive, prompting the police to invite and subsequently detain some of its editors for a day before they were released.

The newspaper restated that it stood by the authenticity of its story.

The full statement read:

Our attention has been drawn to a statement by the Leadership Newspaper titled “Statement on the Arrest and Detention of LEADERSHIP journalists” (April 10), the latest episode in the matters arising from the same newspaper’s publication of an alleged “Presidential Directive” which we have had cause to disavow because the basis of the story proved to have been a dubious ‘bromide’ containing nothing more than “a mishmash of carefully arranged and concocted lies, presented to the public as evidence of a document emanating from the presidency.” Yet, the Leadership newspaper insisted that “it stood by its story.”

As a responsible government committed to providing good governance and protecting the rule of law, the rebuttal from the presidency was appropriate; yet its symbolism runs far deeper. It ordinarily ought to have motivated all concerned with or related to the process and issues contained therein, particularly the publishers and editors, to double check their claims, and where errors had been made, to quickly retract the story. This would have been in line with the ethics of professionalism, good conduct and unbiased reporting.

This approach reflects the crucial role of a bridge which a best-practice media performs, in the management of the civil engagement between elected officials and the citizenry. Underpinning this social contract is the principle that the freedom of expression goes hand in hand with great responsibility. Given the Leadership Newspaper’s insistence that it stood by its story, questions are automatically raised about professional ethics and the social responsibility of the media, which certainly, by the rules and codes of practice of the various media associations in the country do not accommodate the publication of falsehood, or inciting material, or the abuse of the media’s constitutional mandate.

The circulation of a fictitious ‘presidential directive’ that seeks in the main to cause civil strife, engender a breakdown of law and order, and negate the values of our democracy is a very grievous act indeed that should not be ignored. At its core, such a disruptive act erodes the ethos of governance and professionalism and naturally stirs up those entrusted with the protection of law and order; as it should also, every responsible citizen, interest group and the entire media. In that regard, President Jonathan did not have to issue any orders before those who have as much constitutional responsibility as the media; that is, the police, see the need to act in the public interest.

continue from the link

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/our-case-against-leadership-abati/
Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by nuclearboy(m): 7:19am On Apr 11, 2013
So WHAT informed the unconditional release of these people who they say "forged" a presidential directive?

Why are we lying to ourselves?

1. FORGERY (supposedly)
2. MISREPRESENTATION (supposedly)
3. Incalcitrance (till TODAY, they insist they published a true directive)
4. People would argue this is treason

Yet, you released them unconditionally YET expect us to believe they "forged" it or printed a forged directive!

Please take the "forgers" to frigging court

6 Likes

Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by segunobe(m): 7:33am On Apr 11, 2013
I'm not a fan of Lai Mohammed or Reuben Abati but somethings don't just add up about this whole SA on media thing.
Abati was a well known and respected activist who used his platform as editor of Guardian newspaper to speak against the so many ills of the Nigerian political system. He was a fiery writer who spoke the truth without caring whose horse is gored. That was why so many people hailed his selection as the moderator of the last presidential debate. Now he's the mouthpiece of the same people who makes the life of Nigerians more difficult.
I never imagined the Reuben Abati I knew to defend sensitive issues like the appointment of patience as a perm sec,the state pardon granted Alams,or even the subsidy removal when the issue of corruption which got us in the mess in the first place had not been tackled to mention a few.
Reuben is either a turncoat,or confused or he's just goin through mid-life crisis. Whatever the case just know that the worst kind of people on earth are the people who speak from both sides of the mouth. Cos their opinion is dictated by their tommy. Reuben,Reuben,Reuben, how many times did I call you? Pls retrace your steps before its too late. You're letting so many people who looked up to you down. Only God knows the kind of tea you were fed in Aso rock to make you become such a turncoat!
As for GEJ,4yrs(2009-2013) is enough to have at least one tangible achievement that has improved the lives of Nigerians. Just One achievement which every Nigerian can see and feel. You forget that your government is not "for the elite and by the elite" alone.
I rest my case.

19 Likes

Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by Okijajuju1(m): 9:47am On Apr 11, 2013
Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by Abujafood: 9:48am On Apr 11, 2013
Does the Leadership Newspaper have any real defense other than press freedom? Question remains provide proof that the document you published isn't falsified, they're yet to comply!

5 Likes

Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by toluleke(m): 9:49am On Apr 11, 2013
cry abati's case is just like a HERO turned ZERO just for money and position

2 Likes

Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by calabarninja: 9:52am On Apr 11, 2013
Mr Abati u cant fool us now grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by eagleeye2: 9:53am On Apr 11, 2013
in Abati's Voice: If I Don't Take Care of Jonathan, who will?

2 Likes

Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by AjanleKoko: 9:53am On Apr 11, 2013
segun-obe:
I'm not a fan of Lai Mohammed or Reuben Abati but somethings don't just add up about this whole SA on media thing.
Abati was a well known and respected activist who used his platform as editor of Guardian newspaper to speak against the so many ills of the Nigerian political system. He was a fiery writer who spoke the truth without caring whose horse is gored. That was why so many people hailed his selection as the moderator of the last presidential debate. Now he's the mouthpiece of the same people who makes the life of Nigerians more difficult.
I never imagined the Reuben Abati I knew to defend sensitive issues like the appointment of patience as a perm sec,the state pardon granted Alams,or even the subsidy removal when the issue of corruption which got us in the mess in the first place had not been tackled to mention a few.
Reuben is either a turncoat,or confused or he's just goin through mid-life crisis. Whatever the case just know that the worst kind of people on earth are the people who speak from both sides of the mouth. Cos their opinion is dictated by their tommy. Reuben,Reuben,Reuben, how many times did I call you? Pls retrace your steps before its too late. You're letting so many people who looked up to you down. Only God knows the kind of tea you were fed in Aso rock to make you become such a turncoat!
As for GEJ,4yrs(2009-2013) is enough to have at least one tangible achievement that has improved the lives of Nigerians. Just One achievement which every Nigerian can see and feel. You forget that your government is not "for the elite and by the elite" alone.
I rest my case.

I'm pretty certain they have some really bad dirt on him. That's the only reason people compromise their principles so easily, not money. Money is not as effective as blackmail. Money + blackmail is a lethal combination.

1 Like

Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by Nobody: 10:02am On Apr 11, 2013
segun-obe:
I rest my case.
"Now he's the mouthpiece of the same people who makes the life of Nigerians more difficult"

Did you just utter that gibberish? What do you mean by "Now he's the mouthpiece of the same people who makes the life of Nigerians more difficult"? Perhaps you were refering to Fashola and Tinubu who may be making "the life of (Lagosians) more difficult" (according to you)

In case you were refering to the govt of GEJ, I'm sorry you'r WRONG. Besides the increment of fuel price, which was by the way, inevitable, your comment is BASELESS and SENSELESS. About the fuel price increase, that was inevitable as it would HAPPEN over and over again, except crude oil price comes down. As long as crude oil price is increasing, ANY govt in power will inevitably increase fuel price. The reason is, fuel is a commodity, like any other commodity.

Beside the fuel price increase, I dont see how the following has "made life more difficult for Nigerians":
- revival of the rail transport system
- YOUWIN
- graduate internship scheme
- SURE-P women and youth empowerment scheme that employs 5,000 unskilled persons per state and pay them monthly stipends for 5hrs per weekdays work.
- Airport remodelling and Aviation reforms
- Building of cargo Airports
- Construction of Almajiri schools
- Massive road rehabilitation, re-construction and construction
- Agric reforms including new ways of distributing fertilizers and farm inputs that ensure farmers receive subsidized farm inputs DIRECTLY
- Ongoing power reforms and privatisation
- Creation of 12 new federal universities
- Increased funding for federal and select state higher institutions
- Rehabilitation of federal unity colleges
- Local content law in oil and gas
- Empowering local contractors by giving them every contract worth N5billion and below
- Credible elections
Etc,etc

If anything, ALL of the above, are and will make life better for Nigerians.

Most times, critics turn BLIND eye to all of the above, while at same going on and on about corruption, corruption and corruption. Well, if you like, you can build another twin towers with the word- corruption- but the FACT is that corruption has existed since 1960 and is ALWAYS an easy tool for those who want political power through the back door. Therefore, no one should be bothered about the NOISE by anti-corruption e-warriors.

What matters, as far as I'm concerned are CONCRETE things, listed above, that affect the lives of ALL Nigerians DIRECTLY.

By the way, GEJ became president in mid 2010, after the death of Yar Adua. So you alone know how you calculated your 4yrs. All LIARS, except they repent, have comfortable seats reserved for them in the hottest part of HELL

12 Likes

Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by segunobe(m): 10:02am On Apr 11, 2013
AjanleKoko:

I'm pretty certain they have some really bad dirt on him. That's the only reason people compromise their principles so easily, not money. Money is not as effective as blackmail. Money + blackmail is a lethal combination.

Hmmm...food for thought.
Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by Remii(m): 10:04am On Apr 11, 2013
Abujafood: Does the Leadership Newspaper have any real defense other than press freedom? Question remains provide proof that the document you published isn't falsified, they're yet to comply!

they have written their own story govt should provide correct document not asking for their source shikena.

2 Likes

Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by TableLeg(m): 10:04am On Apr 11, 2013
How long will Rueben Abati continue to display this tomfoolrey, stupidity and foolishness?!

Abati, how long are you going to continue being a lapdog to a dunce?!

Abati, i know you visit this forum, i need answers please!

Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by jagabanban: 10:05am On Apr 11, 2013
Abujafood: Does the Leadership Newspaper have any real defense other than press freedom? Question remains provide proof that the document you published isn't falsified, they're yet to comply!

Unless mandated by a court of competent jurisdiction, the journalists are not obliged to disclosed their source. That is the code of the profession. If the police has a full-proof case of forgery against them, the proper thing to do is charge them to court.

Its important to analyse issues from the context of the law. Sentiments has no place in law. The law is an arse!

3 Likes

Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by luluosas(m): 10:10am On Apr 11, 2013

I thought that the government have earlier wished away the said publications as a concocted effort to paint the government in bad light. Why are they so interested in knowing the source(s) of Leadership publications?
Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by gregg2: 10:19am On Apr 11, 2013

This whole thing was fabricated by Tinubu and his gang to forestall posible probe of his loot. The strategy was to raise an alarm using an Abuja-based newspaper (not Lagos) so Nigerians don't suspect they were behind it. There was no presidential directive anywhere. No bromide exist anywhere. The so-called bromide publish by leadership newspaper was a mere graphic work that was poorly done by an amateur.

3 Likes

Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by cold(m): 10:28am On Apr 11, 2013
I can't even fathom how Reuben Abati can begin to justify the detention of journalists. This is a new low,even for Abati

2 Likes

Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by Welder(m): 10:30am On Apr 11, 2013
gregg2:

This whole thing was fabricated by Tinubu and his gang to forestall posible probe of his loot. The strategy was to raise an alarm using an Abuja-based newspaper (not Lagos) so Nigerians don't suspect they were behind it. There was no presidential directive anywhere. No bromide exist anywhere. The so-called bromide publish by leadership newspaper was a mere graphic work that was poorly done by an amateur.

Just Shut Up
Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by maclatunji: 11:00am On Apr 11, 2013

Are you kidding me? The onus of proof lies with the accuser. What kind of inverted thinking do you have?

1 Like

Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by jaybee(f): 11:01am On Apr 11, 2013

gregg2:

The burden of proof rests with the accuser.

let the fg proof that the document in question is either forged, falsified, diluted, photoshopped, doctored, mutilated, misrepresented, or otherwise presented in a form other than the original one; in other words, altered.

1 Like

Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by thoniann(m): 11:11am On Apr 11, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
"Now he's the mouthpiece of the same people who makes the life of Nigerians more difficult"

Did you just utter that gibberish? What do you mean by "Now he's the mouthpiece of the same people who makes the life of Nigerians more difficult"? Perhaps you were refering to Fashola and Tinubu who may be making "the life of (Lagosians) more difficult" (according to you)

In case you were refering to the govt of GEJ, I'm sorry you'r WRONG. Besides the increment of fuel price, which was by the way, inevitable, your comment is BASELESS and SENSELESS. About the fuel price increase, that was inevitable as it would HAPPEN over and over again, except crude oil price comes down. As long as crude oil price is increasing, ANY govt in power will inevitably increase fuel price. The reason is, fuel is a commodity, like any other commodity.

Beside the fuel price increase, I dont see how the following has "made life more difficult for Nigerians":
- YOUWIN
- SURE-P women and youth empowerment scheme that employs 5,000 unskilled persons per state and pay them monthly stipends for 5hrs per weekdays work.
- Agric reforms including new ways of distributing fertilizers and farm inputs that ensure farmers receive subsidized farm inputs DIRECTLY
- Empowering local contractors by giving them every contract worth N5billion and below
- Credible elections
Etc,etc

Most times, critics turn BLIND eye to all of the above, while at same going on and on about corruption, corruption and corruption. Well, if you like, you can build another twin towers with the word- corruption- but the FACT is that corruption has existed since 1960 and is ALWAYS an easy tool for those who want political power through the back door. Therefore, no one should be bothered about the NOISE by anti-corruption e-warriors.

What matters, as far as I'm concerned are CONCRETE things, listed above, that affect the lives of ALL Nigerians DIRECTLY.

By the way, GEJ became president in mid 2010, after the death of Yar Adua. So you alone know how you calculated your 4yrs. All LIARS, except they repent, have comfortable seats reserved for them in the hottest part of HELL

i tot we had purged Nairaland of these "Govt Internet Assistants?" How did this fellow infiltrate us again?

*covered in sack cloth and crying madly*

8 Likes

Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by awodman: 11:19am On Apr 11, 2013
Am pretty sure that most of you commenting on this thread never actually read through Abati's statement..instead you jumped into your usual rehearsed lines.

If you did bother @ all to read through you will see that without prejudice abati made a whole lot of sense..the press has the freedom it deserves which was even made more free by this administration through the signing of the freedom of information bill.However,with this freedom comes a high level of responsibility.This is what the write-up pointed out.

Anyway I don't expect ya all to agree with me

1 Like

Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by madanne4real: 11:38am On Apr 11, 2013
Abati is doing what an average Nigerian would do giving the situation he has found himself. For want of putting butter and bread on his table and ensuring continued sustenance of his offspring, he has become a turncoat. Abati is not the only one in the class of his own, the other guy at Sahara Reporters was also alleged to have abandoned his principle for a morsel of bread so that he would become the First Lady's spokesman. Who wouldn't. It is all about serving our nation. Even lawyers are known to defend criminals. Abati, okupe and his ilks would be rehabilitated someday somehow. Do not be surprised when my friend Reno Omokri becomes the next Delta state Deputy Governor or a senator of the Federal Republic. There are only a handful of principled Nigerians around.

1 Like

Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by Nobody: 11:54am On Apr 11, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

- YOUWIN
- Credible elections
Etc,etc

Spot on.
I do tell people that it would be effort impossibble and fruitless for GEJ to tackle corruption directly from our system suddenly,a menace that has been as u mentioned since 1960(and more) but rather built an institution which will be unconducive for the growth of corruption.With this, this menace will gradualy reduce. This i believe Jonathan govt is doing.
Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by Nobody: 11:55am On Apr 11, 2013
Now the paid pro-Gej(Abati and company including the remaining people among 40-man laptop crew) and paid Anti-Gej(Lai Muhamhed and company) have dominated this thread. Let me excuse myself. But please try to do visible projects that will make life easier for people Mr president. We aint seeing anything significant besides the usual empty government propadanda;corruption,insecurity,perpetual power outage and the list go on.
Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by ddeola: 11:56am On Apr 11, 2013
Abati...your days are numbered. You and your boos will soon be "boothed" out. Nigeria needs leaders with sound mind who are focussed
Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by KingPradas(m): 12:07pm On Apr 11, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

- YOUWIN
- Credible elections
Etc,etc

[size=13pt]Can you show pictures of any of those achievement that you are talking about.[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by Nobody: 12:23pm On Apr 11, 2013
luluosas:
I thought that the government have earlier wished away the said publications as a concocted effort to paint the government in bad light. Why are they so interested in knowing the source(s) of Leadership publications?
If there is no source, then the publication is a delibrate attempt to denigrate the presidency. If anything, our press has been solely politicised. Jst read anti GEJ newspaper columist in Sahara Reporters, Leadership Newspaper, The Nation Newspaper etc. And if ur objective enuf, u will see that they are jst bent on giving d dog a bad name in order to kill it and they are doing so by any means neccessary.. That's not wht the press in developed climes with which ths research columist compare us o. Its like tellin a mad man dt he is wearing rags when ur own cloths are torn, stained and mutilated.
Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by Eziachi: 12:40pm On Apr 11, 2013

I thought its the other way round?
Prove that the document is forged with all evidence available to you, including going to a law court instead muscling your accused, just because you got the power, which in effect, gives your accused more credence.
Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by Eziachi: 1:00pm On Apr 11, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

You are starting to sound like Abati himself. So you don't know yet those who makes the life of Nigerians ever more difficult or are you asking for the sake of it?
Well if you needed reminding, its has always been the Nigerian ruling elites, that includes the Fashola or Tinubus of this world you mentioned, but their current mafiaso as we speak is Goodluck Jonathan, who speaks through Abati.

This topic is not about Tinubu or anyone else but Abati and who speaks for Goodluck Jonathan and Aso Rock Villa. When the issue centred on Tinubu and his different branch of people's tormentors, then we will dissect it on its own merit.
This time its about about a shameless parasitic worm who use to call himself a journalist but now advocating detention of former colleagues for writing a story he deemed untruth in a democracy. I wonder if the same method is applied in the U.S, how many Fox News editors will be cooling their heels at various U.S prisons by now.
And here you are justifying it just because you are blindly following some politicians who doesn't give a hoot about me and you.

3 Likes

Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by Eziachi: 1:06pm On Apr 11, 2013
gregg2:

The way things are going. if your wives are to become bad cooks, you must surely blame it on Tinubu.
The Tinubu guy must surely be enjoying this invincible, all powerful and notoriety you guys are moulding out of him, when in reality he hasn't got half of the will you people are ascribing to him without knowing it.

3 Likes

Re: Our Case Against Leadership Newspaper – Abati by Eziachi: 1:12pm On Apr 11, 2013
ddeola: Abati...your days are numbered. You and your boos will soon be "boothed" out. Nigeria needs leaders with sound mind who are focussed
Nonsense!
His days hasn't started yet, let alone numbered. He is doing the job the likes of Uche Chukwumerije or Adeniji's of the world had done in the past. Wait till he writes his memoir after he finished and witness as all the who is who in the Nigeria criminal elite world lining up to give him his retirement dollars at the book launch.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

US, Isreal Gives Buhari 7 Days To Re Instate CJN. Threaten Military Action. / Don’t Expect Much From Buhari’s Ministerial Nominees, Galadima, Dantiye / Zamfara: PDP Kicks Against Plan To Declare State Of Emergency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.