Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,002 members, 7,821,510 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:06 PM

Freestyling Work - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Freestyling Work (7625 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Freestyling Work by tpia5: 10:42pm On Jun 30, 2013
Breaking Social Ties

The colts were of different types, not all uniform.

They seemed to be divided into groups, and he observed the various groups hard at work doing different things. A group directly in front of him was pulling what looked like long strips from trees. They pulled the strips, examined them from various angles, then carefully walked over to another group and deposited the strips on the ground. Then they went back to get more.

A few of them passed by the young man while on their short journey. He used the opportunity to gaze at the strips they were carrying, trying to see what they were.

They looked like ties. No two strips had the same texture. Some looked brittle, as if they were made of glass, others seemed soft and spongy. All were brightly coloured, glowing faintly in the evening light. The colts carried them cautiously to their destination.

Those look like ties, the young man told his companion. He noticed the other man had fallen silent or at least wasn’t as chatty as before.

Yes, they are, the other guy replied. They’re social ties.

What does that mean our hero asked.

The other man gazed at him carefully, out of the corners of his eyes. It seemed he was trying to assess his expression.

Its just what they’re called, he said.

What‘s the other group going to do with them? Asked the young man.

They break them replied his walking partner. Then some of the different pieces are salvaged and used elsewhere.

I see, said the young man.

He decided to observe the group of colts where the ties had been taken, and he did indeed notice the ties being broken. Before long, there was a huge heap of broken ties and he saw yet another group picking up individual pieces and carrying them in various directions. Some brought wheelbarrows to cart away the loot, while others made do with segments.

There was steady input, however, from the first group bringing in the ties.

They constantly search for the tie bearing trees, said his partner.

The young man looked up with a start- he’d been engrossed in what he was observing and had almost forgotten he was walking with a companion albeit one who had appeared out of nowhere.

This is very interesting, he said. We learn something new every day.

The other man seemed to relax a little, they continued their journey.
Re: Freestyling Work by tpia5: 10:43pm On Jun 30, 2013
i have some stuff which i jotted down [pen and paper] about two years ago.

as soon as i locate the material, will inculcate it into this story.
Re: Freestyling Work by tpia5: 10:43pm On Jun 30, 2013
The Young Man and His Companion

The young man noticed the sun was getting lower and it would be sunset in a few hours. He pointed this out to his companion, and suggested they find a place to stay for the night. The other man considered this, then shook his head, indicating nay.

What do you suggest then, asked the young man.

I suggest we stay here for a while, double back and keep watching the colts, replied the other guy.
The young man argued with him for a while, but got nowhere. He eventually reached a compromise- they would watch the colts and scout around at the same time.

His companion disagreed with this, but the young man held his ground and threatened to continue the journey alone. This idea seemed to frighten the other man somewhat and he quickly changed his tune and agreed they needed to look for a place.

The colts were far behind them now, but the young man could still see them intensely and quietly going about their duties. They took the work very seriously and only took occasional breaks, Whoever did, was immediately replaced by another colt who then took up where the first one had left off. Their intensity was quite disconcerting and the young man wondered for how long they kept at the work, was it throughout their lifetimes? Because it looked that way.

They do other things you know, said his partner. The young man looked up with a start: the other guy had a habit of suddenly passing comments out of nowhere, all the while observing him slyly out of the corners of his eyes.
Ok said the young man. What other things do they do, seems you want to tell me.

Well, the second guy replied, after a while, they take some time off, as you have seen, and go off in search of balance. Wherever they find balance, they remain and continue their work from there, until a colony is formed. One such colony is what we’re looking at now.

Very interesting, said our hero.

They walked on and soon came to a wide bay.

It was a very peaceful one, and somehow reminded the young man of the ocean he had encountered at the beginning of his journey, prior to the storm.
Re: Freestyling Work by tpia5: 10:46pm On Jun 30, 2013
The Crowd and The Squid

The water facade shimmered faintly in the daylight, and fireflies darted around, like tiny dark gems with little pinpoints of light flashing every now and then. The young man wondered how he could see their lights glowing in daytime.

He sat by the shore and decided he’d settle there for the night. He was tired anyway. The colts were still busy in the distance.

His companion took his shirt off and said he was going for a swim. This seemed like a good idea, so the young man decided to do the same. He took his shirt off as well and carefully entered the water. The other man yelled he would follow suit.

The bay felt as refreshing underneath as it had above ground. The young man swam leisurely, coming up for air at intervals, but mostly going down to the depths and observing the wildlife on the lake bed. He saw different types of fishes, various colours and hues, and some startlingly blue sea fauna.

Something streaked by him, and he couldn’t get a good look at it because just then he had to surface for air, which he did, then dove back under and tried to follow the creature. He swam in the last direction he had seen it, and eventually, his effort was rewarded.

It was a huge squid. Maybe four feet long, with flashing lights of different intensities streaking on and off in rhythmic pulses. The lights seemed to be mostly in its midsection and also arranged along its tentacles. It swam gracefully, pausing occasionally to look at him with its round, luminescent eyes, and then streak off effortlessly.

He would have followed it further but had to surface for air. He did so and noticed, to his consternation, that he was further away from land than he had thought.

Back on the shore, the other man was engrossed in a conversation with a colt.

A little further away, a crowd of people had gathered. The young man trod water while he watched them. A woman was talking excitedly, pointing at the water, and the young man guessed she was talking about the squid, which was swimming leisurely a short distance from them. Its strobe lights were in full display, and could be seen clearly through the water. It circled slowly, occasionally jumping out of the water and spreading its tentacles and fins for a maximum glide. With its flashing display, it was quite a show, and the crowd by the shore was in stunned silence during the performance.

The woman at the front of the crowd was quite overcome with emotion and held tight to some men on the front line who seemed to be soothing her and holding her up when, occasionally, she seemed in danger of falling down. The young man heard them calling her Ra Morhtarr. Someone eventually brought her a chair and somebody else started fanning her in the humidity.

The squid glided a few more times, then headed out of the bay, to the open sea. The crowd threw a few fish into the water, obviously hoping to entice it into coming back, but it seemed the squid had other places to go, and everyone watched as it retreated slowly, flashing through the water. The crowd dispersed, Ra Morhtarr and her companions also headed elsewhere, and the young man swam back to shore.
Re: Freestyling Work by tpia5: 10:47pm On Jun 30, 2013
apologies for the use of the name, will change it if necessary.

however, i think the lady is a celebrity now, albeit an unintentional one.
Re: Freestyling Work by tpia5: 4:54am On Aug 16, 2013
julius ceasar Act 1, Scene 2, Page 6 [modern text]

BRUTUS: More shouting! I think this applause is for some new honors awarded to Caesar.

CASSIUS
: Men can be masters of their fate. It is not destiny’s fault, but our own faults, that we’re slaves.

http://nfs.sparknotes.com/juliuscaesar/page_18.html
Re: Freestyling Work by tpia5: 4:58am On Aug 16, 2013
Act 1, Scene 2, Page 7

CASSIUS: I am glad that my weak words

Have struck but thus much show of fire from Brutus.
Re: Freestyling Work by tpia5: 8:18pm On Sep 14, 2013
This is the man, this is him, whom you so often hear
promised you, Augustus Caesar, son of the Deified,
who will make a Golden Age again in the fields
where Saturn once reigned, and extend the empire beyond
the Libyans and the Indians (to a land that lies outside the zodiac’s belt,
beyond the sun’s ecliptic and the year’s, where sky-carrying Atlas
turns the sphere, inset with gleaming stars, on his shoulders):

aeneid
Re: Freestyling Work by tpia5: 11:22pm On Oct 07, 2013
Re: Freestyling Work by tpia5: 4:13am On Nov 14, 2013

playing
Re: Freestyling Work by tpia5: 5:30pm On Nov 14, 2013
Re: Freestyling Work by tpia5: 4:42am On Dec 06, 2013
Re: Freestyling Work by tpia1: 5:54pm On Jul 18, 2014
The Smirk

i find these days, its quite common to see people smirking.

here are some definitions of the term:

A smirk is specific kind of smile, one that suggests self-satisfaction, smugness

to smile in an unpleasant way because you are pleased with yourself

to smile in an affected or smug manner

a smile expressing scorn, smugness, etc, rather than pleasure

the last definition is what i mean. A smile which comes from scorn or smugness rather than joy.

its just a level of self satisfaction that i cant say I've ever experienced, is it really possible to have all your ducks in a row and be totally assured of the same?

think i skipped this part of the learning experience.
Re: Freestyling Work by tpia1: 6:14pm On Jul 18, 2014
another definition of smirk:

you smile in an unpleasant way, often because you believe that you have gained an advantage over someone else or know something that they do not know
Re: Freestyling Work by tpia1: 6:26pm On Jul 18, 2014
Re: Freestyling Work by tpia1: 4:27am On Jul 27, 2014
think i lost some posts here.

i distinctly remember posting something about "hurricane".
Re: Freestyling Work by tpia1: 4:30am On Jul 27, 2014
Yeah, it's twisting up my insides
Can't hide it on the outside

standing in the eye of the hurricane

And I think I'm fine like
I'm in the eye of the hurricane

Re: Freestyling Work by tpia1: 4:33am On Jul 27, 2014
And I'm stuck up in the storm eye
I guess I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klFvadvUnjQ
Re: Freestyling Work by tpia1: 5:05am On Aug 05, 2014
Everything is fine
When you're standing in the eye of the hurricane
Re: Freestyling Work by tpia1: 5:06am On Aug 05, 2014
Here comes the sun, here comes the rain
Standing in the eye of the hurricane

I'm in the eye of the hurricane
Re: Freestyling Work by itstpia1: 10:43pm On Oct 24, 2014
Catching breath in a web of lies
I've spent most of my life
Riding waves, playing acrobat
Shadowboxing the other half
Learning how to react
I've spent most of my time

Catching my breath, letting it go, turning my cheek for the sake of this show
Now that you know, this is my life, I won't be told what's supposed to be right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKqS5l8Nkv4
Re: Freestyling Work by itstpia8: 7:31pm On Dec 17, 2014
Re: Freestyling Work by itstpia8: 7:34pm On Dec 17, 2014
Re: Freestyling Work by itstpia8: 7:37pm On Dec 17, 2014
Re: Freestyling Work by itstpia8: 7:38pm On Dec 17, 2014
Re: Freestyling Work by itstpia8: 7:43pm On Dec 17, 2014
Re: Freestyling Work by itstpia8: 7:48pm On Dec 17, 2014
Re: Freestyling Work by itstpia8: 7:59pm On Dec 17, 2014
Re: Freestyling Work by itstpia8: 8:00pm On Dec 17, 2014
Some people live their dreams
Some people close their eyes
Some people's destiny
Passes by

There are no guarantees
There are no alibis
That's how our love must be
Don't ask why

It takes some time
God knows how long
I know that I can forget you

As soon as my heart stops breakin'
Anticipating
As soon as forever is through
I'll be over you

Remembering times gone by
Promises we once made
What are the reasons why
Nothing stays the same

There were the nights holding you close
Someday I'll try to forget them
Someday I'll be over you
Re: Freestyling Work by itstpia8: 8:07pm On Dec 17, 2014
Re: Freestyling Work by itstpia8: 8:08pm On Dec 17, 2014
Re: Freestyling Work by itstpia8: 8:10pm On Dec 17, 2014
That's all I wanted, something special
Something sacred in your eyes
For just one moment, to be bold and naked at your side
Sometimes I think that you'll never understand me
Maybe this time is forever, say it can't be

That's all you wanted, something special
Someone sacred in your life
Just for one moment, to be warm and naked at my side
Sometimes I think that you'll never understand me
But something tells me together, we'd be happy

I will be your father figure
(Oh, baby)
Put your tiny hand in mine
(I'd love to)
I will be your preacher teacher
(Be your daddy)
Anything you have in mind
(It would make me)

I will be your father figure
(Very happy)
I have had enough of crime
(Please let me)
I will be the one who loves you
Till the end of time

That's all I wanted
But sometimes love can be mistaken for a crime
That's all I wanted, just to see my baby's blue eyes shine
This time I think that my lover understands me
If we have faith in each other then we can be strong

If you are the desert, I'll be the sea
If you ever hunger, hunger for me
Whatever you ask for, that's what I'll be

So when you remember the ones who have lied
Who said that they cared
But then laughed as you cried
Beautiful darling, don't think of me

Because all I ever wanted
It's in your eyes baby, baby
And love can't lie, no
(Greet me with the eyes of a child)

My love is always telling me so
(Heaven is a kiss and a smile)
Just hold on, hold on
I won't let you go, my baby

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Son Of A God(a Story By A Nairalander) / Bloggers: / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Named Harvard’s Class Day Speaker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.