Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,548 members, 7,837,099 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

She Is Not A Liability!!!! - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / She Is Not A Liability!!!! (9642 Views)

Liability Wives / A Liability @ 30 / Mothers Stop Being A Liability In That Home Of Yours From Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: She Is Not A Liability!!!! by damiso(f): 11:05pm On Apr 11, 2013
ileobatojo: I don't agree that ability to be pregnant and bear a child is the strongest reason for supporting stay at home wives but the OP has mentioned some stronger points over the course of the thread.

That being said, I could not personally be a housewife with no income waiting for someone to feed me everyday.

I will disagree with the assertion that the domestic duties of a woman have no economic value. Of course they do! If you were to hire different people to do all that she does, moreso for a woman with young kids, you might have appreciation for the economic value of the housewife. Some organizaions have tried to economically quantify the domestic work a woman does and it is no small amount. There are many families where one of the spouses decides to stay at home instead of working primarily because of economic reasons.

I agree OP had some iffy points( eg The man should go out and make more money )on a SAHM not being a liability but in SOME cases the wife working might not be of any real FINANCIAL(since financial liability seems to be the main bone of contention for most people) impact to the family. That said earning your keep does wonders for one's psyche regardless of how much you make.

Also family planning plays a big role,no chop my head but its harder for a woman with 5 kids under 8 to work esp in the west where there is no cheap labour.Imagine the cost of childcare,breakfast club, afterschool club etc.Its easier to have a career with fewer kids.
Re: She Is Not A Liability!!!! by dayokanu(m): 11:18pm On Apr 11, 2013
chaircover:

there is no money for medical care o! so u better get up from your heart attack and go back to work right now angry

I am going to bed jare. There are thousands of stories on this same family section where women are being abused but are trapped because they dont have a financial way out. We talk day after day about teaching our daughters self esteem and then in 2013 we are being told that all we need to do as women is to have babies, pray and shop for cheap food.

The same women would come here to chorus gender equality but when it comes to working and responsibilities some would say its the mans work. Some women due to laziness just dont know what they want

Come and collect money You hear MEN AND WOMEN ARE EQUAL

Come and work more hard you hear MEN SHOULD DO THE WORK, WOMEN ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR HARD WORK

The OP who want to sit at home to wash clothes, plates nyansh and shop for cheap food what is the rationale to now tell your father to spend the same amount on your education as your brother who wants to Work and not sit at home

2 Likes

Re: She Is Not A Liability!!!! by biolabee(m): 12:00am On Apr 12, 2013
dayokanu:

The same women would come here to chorus gender equality but when it comes to working and responsibilities some would say its the mans work. Some women due to laziness just dont know what they want

Come and work more hard you hear MEN SHOULD DO THE WORK, WOMEN ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR HARD WORK

The OP who want to sit at home to wash clothes, plates nyansh and shop for cheap food what is the rationale to now tell your father to spend the same amount on your education as your brother who wants to Work and not sit at home

10+ Likes!
Ouchie!!
Re: She Is Not A Liability!!!! by Nobody: 1:56am On Apr 12, 2013
Lol @ cheap food... there're $.99c hotdogs now at the grocery-store but be ready to pay your dentist a visit after grub,( lawd help you to foot the bills if you're benefit-less cheesy).... yup I heard there're few surprises in it( bones!)
Re: She Is Not A Liability!!!! by miredia(m): 4:23am On Apr 12, 2013
Most men from the lines of this thread come across as very lazy men. The ULTIMATE value of a woman to her home and husband is her character, just as the ultimate value of a man to his wife is his provisional capacity ( love, care, financial, direction, security....) I do not care how much she rakes in or doesn't make. If her disposition is shortchanged by an awful xter, all her money, beauty and intimidating portforlio is "banza" according to my value books. In my growing up yrs my father repeatedly told me, son education with a flawed xter isn't a pass mark. A woman with earnings can be of no value to a man by her indulgence in selfish shenanigans and even if chanelled to the home front MIGHT arrogate to herself the position of authority, dominance and supremacy taking into cognizance the word MIGHT. A stay home mom can be labelled a liability if she constitutes an emotional nuisance, frolicking and prodigalising. Folks, the true elements for a respectable and functional home isn't how much u make but how much you make of individual characters from father to mom to children.

7 Likes

Re: She Is Not A Liability!!!! by miredia(m): 5:08am On Apr 12, 2013
chaircover:

Character has nothing to do with a man working himself to stupor. One Naira is one Naira and will only buy One Naira worth of stuff, whether or not the wife has a good character, has good money advise, makes the house a home and can pray very well.

Sorry we dont get it . . . I certainly dont anyway. What says that I cant have good character AND still have an income?
maam, one naira can be managed and multipled or squandered. Impoverishment is not a function of low income but of poor managerial skills. Do u understand what it means not to live beyond your means. Do u understand what prudence is. Do u understand what contentment is and not being a spendthrift. Maam' ,do u have an inclination of the power and greatness of an industrious prudent wife not necessarily working class (suit and tie); but a woman with a multiplier effect. This virtue without apologies can either make or mar a man. You can make all the money in the world if the character is flawed in my judgement it is "baboo". I am astonished at the OP's personality. Impressive i must say, she isn't saying it is a taboo to work but that character precedes money.

1 Like

Re: She Is Not A Liability!!!! by Nobody: 7:48am On Apr 12, 2013

3 Likes

Re: She Is Not A Liability!!!! by patlead: 7:57am On Apr 12, 2013
I have followed dis thread religiously.in my own case she's willing to work not to be a financial liability but she just doesn't seem to find any.we are about getting married and I can feel the burden of having to plan the wedding alone without any reasonable financial commitment.This makes me skeptical on going ahead with the whole marriage things.please advise a young upcomin man
Re: She Is Not A Liability!!!! by Nobody: 8:10am On Apr 12, 2013

1 Like

Re: She Is Not A Liability!!!! by Nobody: 10:51am On Apr 12, 2013
dayokanu:

Can I say there might also be some men that are better at Nurturing rather than creating wealth?

Let the man and the wife sit at home and be nurturing to create wealth and lets see what would happen

You think say you smart? Who doesnt want to stay at home and nurture instead of waking up at 6am to go find money

My case is the reverse, both of us don't wanna stay home! We both work offshore, so I am considering going back after my maternity leave, the guy no gree o! We are still debating, he even wants to pay me some money to stay and take care of the baby! angry

Going by the advise here from Chaircover, dayo, JIde etc....I should be going back to work.

Ps: I don't like the typical 8-5 pm office jobs

But the likelihood is that, I might sit at home an d nurture our kids, then work on investment on all his salary!

This one is just for formality, I go just take up one offer sharp sharp, drop the baby with MIL cool....who say money no sweet!
Anyway, these argument back and forth, what ever works for you mate!
Re: She Is Not A Liability!!!! by Nobody: 11:01am On Apr 12, 2013
dayokanu:

Lol... grin
I hear that a lot where I work....for salary Men and women are equal....when it involves heavy machine, omo...I stick to men are stronger than women! I will do the brain part cheesy

But seriously, am going crazy sitting at home these past months.....

A sit at home mums are not liabilities, they can only be termed as liabilities if you know the variables surrounding their sitting at home...
Re: She Is Not A Liability!!!! by Sweetlemon(f): 11:53am On Apr 12, 2013
miredia: maam, one naira can be managed and multipled or squandered. Impoverishment is not a function of low income but of poor managerial skills. Do u understand what it means not to live beyond your means. Do u understand what prudence is. Do u understand what contentment is and not being a spendthrift. Maam' ,do u have an inclination of the power and greatness of an industrious prudent wife not necessarily working class (suit and tie); but a woman with a multiplier effect. This virtue without apologies can either make or mar a man. You can make all the money in the world if the character is flawed in my judgement it is "baboo". I am astonished at the OP's personality. Impressive i must say, she isn't saying it is a taboo to work but that character precedes money.
I pray she understands this point better now that it comes from another person.
Thank you so much.
Can you also help me explain to them that both working and non-working women can be liabilities or non-liabilitie, good or bad wives?
Can you also help me tell them that the main point of my message is that what matters most is a woman's ability to manage resources and turn one naira to ten naira? Her prudence and not her income?
For some strange reason they purposely refused to understand this point instead they accuse me of saying that non-working women are better than working women.
I wonder why.
Pls help me explain o
Re: She Is Not A Liability!!!! by debosky(m): 1:14pm On Apr 12, 2013
miredia: maam, one naira can be managed and multipled or squandered. Impoverishment is not a function of low income but of poor managerial skills.

If your income is low such that you struggle to meet your basic needs, no amount of 'managerial skills' will change that. The obvious point here is that having the ability to manage cannot and should not preclude making more income. No one says because I can prudently 'manage' what I have then I don't want to earn any more.

Do u understand what it means not to live beyond your means. Do u understand what prudence is. Do u understand what contentment is and not being a spendthrift.

So only stay at home wives live within their means?

Maam' ,do u have an inclination of the power and greatness of an industrious prudent wife not necessarily working class (suit and tie); but a woman with a multiplier effect.

Do you need to be a stay at home woman to have a 'multiplier effect'?

This virtue without apologies can either make or mar a man. You can make all the money in the world if the character is flawed in my judgement it is "baboo". I am astonished at the OP's personality. Impressive i must say, she isn't saying it is a taboo to work but that character precedes money.

Character precedes money? cheesy You might as well tell us the sun rises in the East and sets in the West. Who doesn't know character precedes money?

Stating the bleeding obvious and making it sound like something 'impressive'. I guess that's what passes for 'making a point' these days.

1 Like

Re: She Is Not A Liability!!!! by biolabee(m): 2:44pm On Apr 12, 2013
chaircover: . . .But why do people keep on implying that stay at home wives have good character. Is it automatic? I would have thought that a good wife will see that her husband is struggling on his own and want to help out, rather than sitting on her degree and staying at home and advising him on how to spend his money. He is clever enough to feel the pain of making the money so lets give him some credit that he will know how to spend it.

We can all stay at home and say honey pls dont buy the ipad 6 this month or honey lets shop in Costco this month. Does that make me a good wife?

BTW Why cant a man have a working wife who also is blessed with good character too? Why as a man would you short change yourself? Why must it be only one or the other.

In the same vein, why would I want a man who provides me a jeep for every day of the week but with the most lousy character?

Ask any woman who works, they do it for 2 reasons, one for their family and the other for themselves.

Anyway there s theory and there is practical and as you have seem from most of the responses here, men do NOT want liabilities!!!!! call them lazy or not and many women who are being abused and treated like shitt at home are housewives who have no financial input.

When a man is struggling with the day to day stresses at work and his working himself to the bone, and he comes home exhausted and drained only to see his wifes brother in his living room (knowing fully well that he has come to ask for money) at that point he doesn't see his wife’s good character and his wife greeting him in negligee & telling his bath water is ready & food is on the table but all he probably feels is resentment & Oh NO!!! Not more demands!!!.

There are men that refuse to go and see a doctor until its too late because all they do is work work work. Even when they feel ill they will still carry on. School fees have to be paid, rent has to be paid, the wife’s mother has to be buried and the wife’s junior sister has to get married, yet wifey is using her degree as wall decoration and turns round and says she is a good wife by helping him to manage money that wasn’t enough in the first instance. When the man dies from exhaustion sha wont she go out and work?
Re: She Is Not A Liability!!!! by Nobody: 6:14pm On Apr 12, 2013
hmmmm...interesting topic
Re: She Is Not A Liability!!!! by Nobody: 7:47am On Apr 21, 2013
@ OP: were you not the lady that was leaving NairaLand.com for good some months back?...
Re: She Is Not A Liability!!!! by touchmeder: 5:15pm On Apr 21, 2013
If a woman can manage to find work or run a business let her do it ooooooooooooooooooooo especially in Nigeria. Dont lean on any man soley for money if you can help it. Most of these women are graduates, by God's grace you will get something if that is your heart desire. Adding weight and running around the house with no career can be quite boring. Asking your husband for every penny, fish money, egg money, pampers, tissue paper, fuel /generator money, dstv money Wow. May God help us lipsrsealed
Re: She Is Not A Liability!!!! by aniiii(f): 2:25am On Jun 23, 2013
;;;;;;;;;;
Re: She Is Not A Liability!!!! by BigBashiru: 11:52am On Aug 28, 2022
Sweetlemon:

From your tone, I can see you just like arguing and winning arguments.
Just like Alutacontinua did, look at the bottom line of my message and stop talking as if I said women should not work.
[b]By the way, a woman's traditional and foremost duty is to nuture while that of a man is to provide. [/b]So a woman can afford not to work but a man does not have such luxury. Same way a woman cannot say she does not want to give birth or expect her husband to be the one bearing children. That's why women generally nuture kids better than men. It's a fact that science can never change
Having said that, I have always adviced ladies to have some sort of paid employment for their own good and security. It's also nice to give financial support to our husbands every now and then to make the family even more financially comfortable than it is.
However, men should be more concerned about making more money than in looking foward to their wives pay check.

These are lies used to turn men into financial slaves for women...a man isnt saying u should give him ur money.... he is simply saying u should make ur own moni and use ur own moni to support urself
Re: She Is Not A Liability!!!! by BigBashiru: 11:55am On Aug 28, 2022
Sweetlemon:

And do you know a working class lady can be a financial liablility if she cannot spend her income wisely and save money?
That's why I said that a woman's xter should come before her income

This is a very strong point... some ladies work but still refuse to bring moni.....
Re: She Is Not A Liability!!!! by BigBashiru: 12:03pm On Aug 28, 2022
Sweetlemon:

My dear, why should a woman not be called an asset simply because she does not have an income? Why must it be only when she brings home money that she can be an asset?
So a woman who prays to God for her husband's success and protection is not an asset? A woman who can give good, life-changing advice to her hubby on various matters is not qualified to be an asset?? A woman who can save money and properly manage her husband's income is not an asset?? A woman who nutures her kids, helps them with home work, attends PTA meetings is not an asset??
Tell me something!

Because marriage all boils down to MONEY and requires MONEY to run....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? / What Should I Call My Father's Brother That Is Younger Than Me / I Placed A Curse On My Husband.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.