Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,297 members, 7,839,463 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:52 PM

Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service (23811 Views)

BBC To Launch Pidgin And Yoruba Service / Photo: Who Is "Chimaokoro63", And What Don't We Know About The Kuje Bomb Blasts? / Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Eziachi: 3:57pm On Apr 13, 2013
purpleclouds:

So why is Nigeria the way it is then?

Colonialism is not the cause of everything but to pretend that it did not have regressive effect is being dishonest. Do you think bleaching of the skin was big before the British or after?
If you are over 50 years old and still blaming your parents for your situation of unproductive life of poverty, then you have a huge problem. The way Nigeria is now is totally down to Nigerians as it was the same British that ruled Malaysia and others.
And you totally lost me with the bleaching skin bit, I have no idea what you're on about or what you skin got to do with the British.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by purpleclouds: 4:01pm On Apr 13, 2013
Eziachi:
If you are over 50 years old and still blaming your parents for your situation of unproductive life of poverty, then you have a huge problem. The way Nigeria is now is totally down to Nigerians as it was the same British that ruled Malaysia and others.
And you totally lost me with the bleaching skin bit, I have no idea what you're on about or what you skin got to do with the British.

Because you're clueless. Next.

So if your parents dont invest in your education or provide you with the tools you need for adulthood you don't think that will not hinder your development in anyway? You may manage to get on the right track but the difficulties and stumbling blocks you had to overcome could have been much less with a solid foundation from your parents.

Next.

I'm not on about nothing. Its just the fact that some of you internet intellectuals are really clueless.

My point was a very simple one. You say the British had no part in how Nigeria is today. Did your ancestors worry about bleaching and light skin before contact with the British or after? If British rule could mess with people's mindset in one aspect is it that farfetched to think other things could have been affected?

No one says that Africans should not be held accountable for how things are but a lot of dummies like you causually ignore that these countries were not built on solid foundations.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Eziachi: 4:03pm On Apr 13, 2013
purpleclouds:

Because you're clueless. Next.
I don't have problem being clueless, tell me what you are? I can do with some of your ocean of wisdom.
Now, next.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by purpleclouds: 4:14pm On Apr 13, 2013
Eziachi:
I don't have problem being clueless, tell me what you are? I can do with some of your ocean of wisdom.
Now, next.

You have to have a brain to get anything out of being taught otherwise its akin to teaching algebra to a brick wall.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by EmmyDe25(m): 7:07pm On Apr 13, 2013
Iykeponti: ALSO THE SECOND LARGEST TERRORIST GROUP IN AFRICA.....
Nah.. U misd dat. In d world!
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by EmmyDe25(m): 7:13pm On Apr 13, 2013
kabba7:

Why don' you dumbs have your Igbor and Yoruba on the voice of Nigeria ? You don' ask for that abi? The reason for not having Ibo and Yoruba on bbc is simple Igbo's have no culture other than money hunting even on Dstv why don' you have a channel dedicated to Ibo? The yoruba is more concern with dancing not interested in news in the past yoruba use to be on Egypt radio but has since been stopped cause those people don't need news
you are a go.at! Do u even knw what you are saying at all? Pls read ur post all over and cum back here if it does make sense to u. Bloody yaro boi!
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Eziachi: 7:21pm On Apr 13, 2013
purpleclouds:

You have to have a brain to get anything out of being taught otherwise its akin to teaching algebra to a brick wall.
Can I borrow your supersonic electric brain just for a minute? Please!
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by IGBOSON1: 7:22pm On Apr 13, 2013
adamu50:

You are a foolish,Don,t you pknow that Hausa is a Language that will be spoken in the heaven?

^^^Adamu, please don't go there! smiley
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by nagoma(m): 9:23pm On Apr 13, 2013
purpleclouds:
And they found good monkeys to fill in. You were the British's lackeys so who were the primitive ones?
Lord Lugard's masterpiece indirect rule was developed in Northern Nigeria. Instead of ruling the fools directly they used your leaders as a errand boys and you were just as happy as could be
That's how much smarts they thought you had. They threw up a cheap smokescreen and you ate it up. Which is why the North fell before the south did.

The British would have been happy to have indirect rule for the south as it would be easier and more economical for the colonial government. But the primitive people living there like animals had no concept of governance or any formal organized social structure. The British had to rule them directly. At independence there would be no way those goons could be trained enough to head the nation. The southern president Still has no idea what leadership entails. When you are trapped at food gatherer stage in your civilization and then you accidentally become a leader all that is on your mind is own personal wealth and self aggrandizement and that is Jona for you - predictable.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by hikmoj(m): 12:36am On Apr 14, 2013
50calibre: Because our colonial masters trusted the savages called Hausas and handed the reins of power to them while regarding other tribes (especially Igbos) as rebels because they knew we wouldn't be subservient to them.

Even when on the two occasions the queen visited Nigeria, she only went to the north. Now they are learning the hard way.
it seems u hate hearing truth,u've bn told d truth u're stil sayin anoda tin.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by naptu2: 8:25am On Feb 28, 2016
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Mustay(m): 10:30pm On Feb 28, 2016
I listened to the BBC team speak about this. I guess the wazobia thingy (especially the use of pidgin) has spurred them to come up with this. Stations are now carving out nichés with these languages.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Obansanjo Is An Expired Politician- Bola Tinubu / Asari Dokubo, Edwin Clark, ND Avengers; Why No Outrage Over Iniquity At NDDC / Ekiti Ex-Deputy Governor Egbeyemi Dies At 78

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.