Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,970 members, 7,817,847 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:08 PM

Uruguay Legalizes Gay Marriage - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Uruguay Legalizes Gay Marriage (889 Views)

US Gay Marriage: Robert Mugabe Asks Obama's Hand In Marriage / Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana / France Legalizes Gay Marriage. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uruguay Legalizes Gay Marriage by Nobody: 4:58pm On Apr 11, 2013

Uruguay 's Congress has voted to legalise same-sex marriage, making it the second country in Latin America and the third in all the Americas to do so.

Seventy-one of 92 lawmakers in the lower house voted in favour of the proposal, one week after the senate passed it by a wide majority. President Jose Mujica is expected to sign the bill into law.

"I agree that family is the basis of society but I also believe that love is the basis of family. And love is neither homosexual nor heterosexual," said opposition lawmaker Fernando Amado of the centre-right Colorado party.

Uruguay is the 12th country to pass a law of this kind, according to Human Rights Watch. In the Americas, Argentina and Canada have approved gay marriage, and it is allowed in Mexico City and some parts of Brazil, as well as nine states of the US.

In Uruguay, a nation of about 3.3 million people, critics of the bill included the Catholic Church and other Christian organizations, which said it would endanger the institution of the family.

"We are opposed to this bill because we understand it distorts and changes the nature of the institution of marriage," said opposition lawmaker Gerardo Amarilla.

Damian Diaz, a 25-year-old teacher who is in a committed relationship with a man, said he was heartened by the move.

"We're definitely going to feel now that we live in a place where we're recognized for who we are, where we get more respect and more acceptance," he told Reuters Television.

Roughly half a million people marched through Paris in January to protest against the legalisation of same-sex marriage, underscoring opposition to the measure in parts of Europe.
GUARDIAN

Good move, I must say.

1 Like

Re: Uruguay Legalizes Gay Marriage by Nobody: 5:52pm On Apr 11, 2013
gradually, every country go dey do am, until it gets to Nigeria's turn...and i know na Buhari go do am if em bcome president..to hell with apc..infct fashola fit do wam
Re: Uruguay Legalizes Gay Marriage by Nobody: 5:53pm On Apr 11, 2013
the world is indeed coming to an end, i'll b the last living thing to embrace such evil!
Re: Uruguay Legalizes Gay Marriage by Nobody: 7:26pm On Aug 23, 2013
maxwello.yg:
the world is indeed coming to an end, i'll b the last living thing to embrace such evil!
always on all gay threads. I know your type, closet gay!
Re: Uruguay Legalizes Gay Marriage by Nobody: 7:43pm On Aug 23, 2013
Pink_Lezbian:
Ubanki ya ci duru uwar shi
Re: Uruguay Legalizes Gay Marriage by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 23, 2013
Pink_Lezbian:
shut that foq up and face the topic.
You should be rejoicing that you have just taken over another country.
Re: Uruguay Legalizes Gay Marriage by Nobody: 8:54pm On Aug 23, 2013
maxwello.yg:

shut that foq up and face the topic.
You should be rejoicing that you have just taken over another country.
now he is here to self-service over display pix
Re: Uruguay Legalizes Gay Marriage by HezronLorraine(m): 10:30pm On Aug 23, 2013
Time for that teeth vampire called Suarez to marry his boyfriend.lolzgringringrin.
Re: Uruguay Legalizes Gay Marriage by HezronLorraine(m): 10:41pm On Aug 23, 2013

Uruguan Congress

Lesbian Couple waiting for the votes

Those in Favour say Aye,Those Against say Nay.The Aye's have it and History is made
[img]http://s1.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20130411&t=2&i=721133796&w=&fh=&fw=&ll=460&pl=300&r=CBRE93A03RA00[/img]
The jubilation begins
Re: Uruguay Legalizes Gay Marriage by HezronLorraine(m): 10:54pm On Aug 23, 2013
Nice developments
1.)It allows same-sex couples to choose the order of the
surnames of the children they adopt.

2.)And it also increases the age of consent for sexual
relations to 16, from the current 12 for women and
14 for men.

3,)In recent years, Uruguay has moved to allow same-
sex civil unions, adoption by gay couples, and to
allow gay members of the armed forces.
Uruguay's neighbour Argentina legalised gay
marriage in 2010. Same-sex marriages have been
legal in Mexico City since 2009.

4.)In May, Brazil's Supreme Court voted overwhelmingly
in favour of allowing same-sex couples the same
legal rights as married heterosexuals.

Progressive society.
Re: Uruguay Legalizes Gay Marriage by Nobody: 10:59pm On Aug 23, 2013
Pink_Lezbian:
now he is here to self-service over display pix
Your display pic? Yea it is sexy but I don't 'self-service'
Re: Uruguay Legalizes Gay Marriage by Nobody: 11:12pm On Aug 23, 2013
WOW. Uruguay is one of the most liberal countries today

same sex marriage , Legalized pot and an atheist president

Love it! smiley smiley
Re: Uruguay Legalizes Gay Marriage by israel007: 12:49am On Aug 24, 2013
Lmao.

9ja on the line now.
Re: Uruguay Legalizes Gay Marriage by Ikengawo: 2:06am On Aug 24, 2013
Notice in all of the countries that legalize it everyone/everywhere looks clean, organized, well educated and civil

2 Likes

Re: Uruguay Legalizes Gay Marriage by Nobody: 4:48am On Aug 24, 2013
Ikengawo: Notice in all of the countries that legalize it everyone/everywhere looks clean, organized, well educated and civil

you are right bro

1 Like

Re: Uruguay Legalizes Gay Marriage by holyvirgin: 7:39am On Aug 24, 2013
We need to do smth about all these silly people bringing gay threads on nairaland... Why not move to uruaguay and enjoy your lives as gay? undecided

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria & Singapore Get Independence Same Time. Which Is 5th Richest Nation? / Stuck In Cold War': Beijing Won't Play In U.S. Directed Hollywood Script / Breaking News: Munich Under Terror Attack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.