Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,187 members, 7,822,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN (3879 Views)

Silver Spoon Kids Who Are Contsting In This Year's Elections / ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight / Jonathan Is A Trainee President - ACN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by pheesayor(m): 6:50am On Apr 12, 2013
ACN To Presidency: It’s Not The Business Of Opposition To Spoon Feed The Govt

"ACN To Presidency: It’s Not The Business Of Opposition To Spoon Feed The Government"
- via Newsdiaryonline: April 11, 2013

The Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) has said it is not the business of the opposition to spoon feed the government in power on how to successfully pilot the affairs of the country, saying if the Jonathan Administration is overwhelmed by the demands of running the country, it should indicate so and step down.

Reacting to a statement credited to a presidential aide, Dr. Doyin Okupe, that the opposition only criticizes without offering solutions to the country’s myriad of problems, the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohamed, however said the ACN has gone beyond its brief to offer suggestions to many knotty issues.

”If the PDP-led federal government is expecting the opposition to waste its time and energy in helping it to run the government, then it is another clear indication that those at the helms neither prepared for the huge responsibility placed upon them by being voted into office nor learnt fast enough on the job. Little wonder the country’s development has been in reverse gear since 1999,” it said.

The ACN said it is aware of its responsibility as the leading opposition party, and that it has always been guided by the highest ideals of democratic principles and the best practices of democratic opposition in the world.

”In speaking truth to power in Nigeria, on many occasions we have turned ‘non-issues’ which are critical for democracy, liberty and justice into issues; we have, through our media interventions, created the possibilities of greater participation by Nigerians in the governance of the country, while canvassing for greater transparency and accountability in the affairs of government and public institutions. We are glad Nigerians appreciate this and have constantly told us so.

”Because we believe in constructive criticism, we have even gone beyond our brief to offer suggestions. Any close perusal of our regular interventions dating back to the Obasanjo presidency will realize that we have proffered solutions to oil militancy in the Niger Delta and Boko Haram violence, suggested ways to wean the country off fuel subsidy through local refinery of crude oil instead of making Nigerians to bear the brunt of a corrupt system; pointed out what areas of the economy needed more government attention to enhance socio-economic development and alerted the government to the dwindling fortunes of the oil sector due to low investment and the emerging dangers of shale oil discovery in the US and elsewhere.

”But we have since realized that this federal government is not in power to improve the lives of the citizens but to enrich the few members of its clique and feather its own nest. That is why we are gearing up to take over the mantle of leadership at the centre through the support of Nigerians, who are totally fed up with a party (PDP) that has failed to make their lives better since assuming office in 1999,” the party said.

ACN also responded to the statement that it is trying to mislead Nigerians with the allegations that SURE-P funds are being channeled into the pockets of PDP members across the country in preparation for the 2015 elections, saying the presidency just doesn’t get it.

”Lest the presidency and the PDP muddle the waters, what we have said is that after the SURE-P funds have been shared among the three tiers of government, the federal government converts its own share into slush funds which are then given to persons who are neither elected nor recognized by law to ferret into the pockets of PDP members. We went ahead to list the names of those who have been appointed to coordinate the sharing of the funds, and noted that they are the same as President Jonathan’s campaign coordinators in the states – and no one has been able to fault us!” the party said.

Meanwhile, the ACN has expressed its total disgust at the increasing resort to the use of gutter language by presidential aides when responding to the criticism of the federal government by the opposition.

”It is sad that this presidency is being increasingly defined by the use of rude and crude language against the opposition. The ACN and its leaders have been mercilessly maligned and called unprintable names, to such an extent that the deeper you sink into the gutter in talking about the ACN and its leaders, the more assured your meal ticket is at the presidency.

”But we are honestly not surprised. When a key spokesman for any government is a corrupt and undignified personality who, under a decent dispensation, should be undergoing trial for collecting huge funds for contracts not executed, that government has already defined its own public image.

”When a key spokesman for any government is a man who has jettisoned every principle he used to hold dear and has negated everything he ever wrote, just to secure a meal ticket, that government cannot and should not expect to be respected and believed by the citizenry. That is the crisis facing the Jonathan Administration,” the party said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/04/acn-to-presidency-its-not-oppositions-business-to-spoon-feed-the-govt/

3 Likes

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by ochukoccna: 7:39am On Apr 12, 2013
Whether you dig the ACN or not,you sure must give props to them for their classic punch lines which more often than not conveys the totality of their message just by the message title

Also why does the PDP and Joe'creek' Ebele ALWAYS RETORT WITH GUTTER LANGUAGE WHEN BEEN ASKED TO BE ACCONTABLE?

12 Likes

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by adesammy1(m): 7:42am On Apr 12, 2013
space reserved...let me finish reading before comenting

1 Like

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by Omen100(m): 8:16am On Apr 12, 2013
adesammy1: space reserved...let me finish reading before comenting

same here.

1 Like

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by seunfly: 8:57am On Apr 12, 2013
Na true talk O!!! Anyway how will they point out problems without providing the solution? May be when they get to the Asorock they can do that.

1 Like

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by omenka(m): 8:59am On Apr 12, 2013
This man just spoke my mind. Since when did it become the work of the opposition to suggest how to run the govt? If they are overwhelmed by the problems confronting the nation and are out of ideas on how to solve them, why not step aside let more competent hands take over?
I guess the word 'resignation' doesn't exist in the dictionary of African politicians.

4 Likes

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by omenka(m): 9:05am On Apr 12, 2013
ochukoccna: Whether you dig the ACN or not,you sure must give props to them for their classic punch lines which more often than not conveys the totality of their message just by the message title

Also why does the PDP and Joe'creek' Ebele ALWAYS RETORT WITH GUTTER LANGUAGE WHEN BEEN ASKED TO BE ACCONTABLE?

When the president himself can descend so low as to say 'I DON'T GIVE A DAMN', 'THEY CAN INSULT ME FROM HEAD TO TOE', on national tv, what can one expect of his sorrogates? They are all from the gutter therefore are only behaving true to type.

4 Likes

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by apoti(m): 9:15am On Apr 12, 2013
seunfly: Na true talk O!!! Anyway how will they point out problems without providind the solution? May be when they get to the Asorock they can do that.

Jisos!!! shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by omiobo: 9:17am On Apr 12, 2013
-1 to AC.N

1 Like

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by apoti(m): 9:24am On Apr 12, 2013
When the head is rotten, the whole body will obviously stink.
GEJ needs to set up a committee to constantly remind him that he is the President of Nigeria. He took the oath to discharge his presidential duties. He should stop turning to the opposition for solutions, that confirms he is not fit to lead this country.

1 Like

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by Pacesetter2: 9:30am On Apr 12, 2013
Even the dead is aware of this present government is deaf to public opinion & the criticsms...

hope Jonathan wont go ahead to give lecture on effective democracy in the african society

2 Likes

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by hardbody: 9:30am On Apr 12, 2013
ochukoccna: Whether you dig the ACN or not,you sure must give props to them for their classic punch lines which more often than not conveys the totality of their message just by the message title

Erhmmmm, let me ask my oga at the top the response i should give. datz all...

1 Like

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by Sibrah: 9:37am On Apr 12, 2013
Look you guys keep provoking me, but i still don't give a damn. Why did i even agree to renew the contract of my Internet Defense Unit (IDU). Should have saved it for 2015 . . . Lol

3 Likes

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by eggheaders(m): 9:51am On Apr 12, 2013
that punchline on abati and okupe is classic.those two devil can go to any length to secure their meal ticket.

1 Like

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by Nobody: 9:53am On Apr 12, 2013
My exact sentiment. Why should FG keep asking for solution from ACN or resorting to Gutter language anytime they are being criticized? If you ask me,it tells much about the degree of confusion,ineffectiveness and cluelessness of the incubent

2 Likes

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by Aphrygian(m): 9:55am On Apr 12, 2013
What makes sincere Nigeria an sinsecere one & a coward
(1)u always find him on this kind of thread & he disapears on thread like 'Nigerian power is decreasing'
2) by always lieing to us & even wen telling him he his lieing he always insults our intelligence
3)he always attack any can related thread but wn can ipad crew attacs pdp thread he calls them names
Anybody should not abuse me oooooooo

1 Like

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by Josegun(m): 10:06am On Apr 12, 2013
President technical adviser are busy looting! No one to help on national deveploment. What a pity!

1 Like

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by adisarasaq(m): 11:43am On Apr 12, 2013
I am not a friend of PDP but i think it is every body's duty to always look for way to help his or her Country. If ACN is truly mean to better our lifes let them start by surgesting solution to our problems and if FG refuse to make use of it the whole world will see.

1 Like

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by sheyguy: 11:45am On Apr 12, 2013
Sibrah: Look you guys keep provoking me, but i still don't give a damn. Why did i even agree to renew the contract of my Internet Defense Unit (IDU). Should have saved it for 2015 . . . Lol
Fixed.

1 Like

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by Nobody: 11:57am On Apr 12, 2013
Sincere9gerian and co.,come and do your job so as to SECURE your MEAL TICKET.

1 Like

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by Demdem(m): 12:20pm On Apr 12, 2013
[b]”In speaking truth to power in Nigeria, on many occasions we have turned ‘non-issues’ which are critical for democracy, liberty and justice into issues; we have, through our media interventions, created the possibilities of greater participation by Nigerians in the governance of the country, while canvassing for greater transparency and accountability in the affairs of government and public institutions. We are glad Nigerians appreciate this and have constantly told us so.

”Because we believe in constructive criticism, we have even gone beyond our brief to offer suggestions. Any close perusal of our regular interventions dating back to the Obasanjo presidency will realize that we have proffered solutions to oil militancy in the Niger Delta and Boko Haram violence, suggested ways to wean the country off fuel subsidy through local refinery of crude oil instead of making Nigerians to bear the brunt of a corrupt system; pointed out what areas of the economy needed more government attention to enhance socio-economic development and alerted the government to the dwindling fortunes of the oil sector due to low investment and the emerging dangers of shale oil discovery in the US and elsewhere.

”But we have since realized that this federal government is not in power to improve the lives of the citizens but to enrich the few members of its clique and feather its own nest. That is why we are gearing up to take over the mantle of leadership at the centre through the support of Nigerians, who are totally fed up with a party (PDP) that has failed to make their lives better since assuming office in 1999,” the party said.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by Demdem(m): 12:20pm On Apr 12, 2013
GOOD RESPONSE FROM ACN

2 Likes

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by kumbalo(m): 2:08pm On Apr 12, 2013
Aphrygian: What makes sincere Nigeria an sinsecere one & a coward
(1)u always find him on this kind of thread & he disapears on thread like 'Nigerian power is decreasing'
2) by always lieing to us & even wen telling him he his lieing he always insults our intelligence
3)he always attack any can related thread but wn can ipad crew attacs pdp thread he calls them names
Anybody should not abuse me oooooooo
He's doing his job like his oag at the top instructed. You find him on all Blogs and E-news web pages, fully registeed and insulting people's intelligence. You can't help but wonder if he's got another job.
Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by Shine1177: 2:46pm On Apr 12, 2013
If truly people in ACN have the love of this great nation at heart why not suggest solution to the government of the day on any issue they feel is wrong? Their national leader has suggested ammenesty for Boko Haram and GEJ being a listening president consider their option but now their boys have rejected ammenesty. If GEJ have not consider this ammensty of a thing the opposition will still continue shhouting "give ammenesty to BH" now it has been considered we all see the result. This shows that the ACN/APC do not have the solution to the insecurity in the land.

The problem with Nigerians is that after we give a man our mandate to lead, we always neglect them to the job, why not support our leaders and we all will enjoy the benefit of good govenance.

ACN lives on propaganda! What has happend to Obanikoro (Jnr) and the two other councillors Maryland/Mende mandate? Pot calling kettle black. This is how a typical Nigerian live his life.
Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by Eziachi: 4:25pm On Apr 12, 2013
adisarasaq: I am not a friend of PDP but i think it is every body's duty to always look for way to help his or her Country. If ACN is truly mean to better our lifes let them start by surgesting solution to our problems and if FG refuse to make use of it the whole world will see.
Sometimes I do believe that most of you don't understand how democracy works after years of military dictatorship.

When you are in opposition, you don't even need to have a plan-said a former British foreign secretary once. And that is is true nature of democracy. An opposition is not in business to be voicing solution to the govt when the election is few years ahead.

If they start voicing out the solution, what will they do during the election campaign? What happens if the government steals their ideas? Why can't many of you understand that politics is competition for political power among the political parties? A good game players keeps his jokers to himself until its the time to use it to win and if it doesn't have any, he is unlikely to tell you that.

Lai Mohammed is spot on, opposition parties are not in the business of spoon feeding the government they want replace by telling them the solutions, if any.
Its like asking a boxer to be telling his opponent, the best way to avoid an fragile chin, when their fight is still ahead. All he need to hear from him until the d-day is that he will knock him out because he got the best plan.
What is that best plan? Wait until its time to rumble. grin
I feel sorry for Jonathan always- because I believe he surrounded himself with the most inept PR group I have ever known in Abati and Okupe. They have both done more damage to him than good, each time they opened their mouth. Only time will tell.

5 Likes

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by lekeodumuyiwa: 4:58pm On Apr 12, 2013
I have short commentary today because am glad that after 14 years of being in power,the PDP led government have finally swallowed their pride waiting for the opposition to borrow them ideas and solutions on how to run government.They are now afraid and shall be chased out of their covens of ineptitude,corruption,mismanagement and official leakages of our resources and never again will Nigeria be govern by wicked leadership and killers of hope.
Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by Omen100(m): 5:22pm On Apr 12, 2013
Omen100:

same here.

And finally, I finished reading through & don't have anything to contribute because Lai Muhammed has said it all.

1 Like

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by VirginFinder: 7:41pm On Apr 12, 2013
When will all Nigerians come to realise that we run a hopeless system of govt in this country?

The only thing this system of govt guarantees is unconditional unity.

Bring Obama to Nigeria and he'll surely fail.

Our system of govt is not the type we should be running because of our irredeemable corrupt mentality and totally damaged patriotic psyche.

Nigerians only look for their own interests. No thought is spared for the fatherland.

Such terrible people we are!

You pro ACN posters are not being sincere.

ish!!
Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by bigfat08: 8:39pm On Apr 12, 2013
why not ? undecided

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by ewet: 10:04pm On Apr 12, 2013
The PDP as being doin more of complaining and joining issues with the opposition rather thn sitting down and getting the job done.Whether you like the ACN or not the fact remains tht evry democracy needs a viable opposition an this the ACN is doin incredibly well so the PDP shuld also try their best to prove the opposition wrong through cogent actions and not mudslingging the opposition. ACN you are so on point with this 1.

1 Like

Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by ewet: 10:12pm On Apr 12, 2013
omenka:

When the president himself can descend so low as to say 'I DON'T GIVE A DAMN', 'THEY CAN INSULT ME FROM HEAD TO TOE', on national tv, what can one expect of his sorrogates? They are all from the gutter therefore are only behaving true to type.
GEJ who is so unintelligent when he speaks and also depicts dumbness when he acts now made matters worse by appointing the likes of Okupe as spokesman.Okupe has no ideals he represents,no principles wht so ever and is not even fit to be spokesman for association of Nigerian prostitutes let alone being spokesman for our number 1 citizen.
Shows hw bereft this GEJ govt is in intellectualism and continually depicts mediocrity in all spheres of thr activities.
Re: Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN by ewet: 10:15pm On Apr 12, 2013
Did anyone hear the speech GEJ made when the polish PM visited yesterday.Did you see how unintellignt our president sounded.He even had a speech prepared for him just to explain wht thy discused. God help us with this guy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

President Jonathan Shamelessly Admits He's Afraid Of Corrupt Nigerians! / Lecturer Lynched, Burnt Alive For Killing Five Pupils / What Has Gej Really Done For The South East

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.