Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,223 members, 7,953,851 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:48 AM

From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! (10471 Views)

Mbaka, Catholic And Politics: Nigerian Tweets Interesting Facts / Man Who Donated His Hotel Building To Catholic Church, Turns Keke Napep Driver / Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Ubenedictus(m): 8:40pm On Sep 03, 2013
Enigma: Meanwhile, let me remind you of this! wink

When you find where Jesus Christ, any of the apostles or anywhere in the Bible says "nothing should be done without the bishop", call me! smiley

smiley
ignatuis did. And for non protestant christians tradition is consider a source of doctrine.
It will be interesting if i didn't have to repeat myself. You should get glasses if you have a problem with your eyes.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 9:01pm On Sep 03, 2013
Ubenedictus: and what is your point? Ever since the times of nestorius local churches has been placed under anathema irrespective of their saintly and catholic bishops of the past. If antioch enspouse an anathemize heresy then she anathemize herself irrespective of whether or not ignatuis was once bishop of antioch

Ubenedictus: just the same way a council claimed cyril and declear it church anathema. If the church enspouse heresy she is anathema. As simple as a b c

And here the duplicity of Roman Catholic apologists and the fraudulent sham of Roman Catholic arguments exposed.

1. They say their church is called "Catholic" because Ignatius gave that name to the church: but they declare Ignatius' own church "anathema"

2. They say Ignatius was a "Catholic": but they declare Ignatius' own church "anathema"

3. They say Ignatius is the one who says we must do nothing without bishops: but they declare Ignatius' own church "anathema"

Ubenedictus: the last time i checked he didn't ask. You are now grasping straws

I never said he asked; I simply asked you to inform him. wink

And obviously, I am making fun of your uneasy alliance --- both sides of it.

One side says to or at least of the other: 'you are heretics without apostolic succession and your ordinations/orders are absolutely null and utterly void!' And the other side says ......... (fill in the blanks)! grin grin grin

smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 9:05pm On Sep 03, 2013
Ubenedictus: ignatuis did.

Jesus Christ did not!

The apostles did not!

The Bible does not!

None of these three says "nothing should be done without the bishop"! wink

Ubenedictus: And for non protestant christians tradition is consider a source of doctrine.

You follow your "tradition" and we are happy to go with the words of the Lord Jesus Christ Himself that where two or three gather in His name, He is there! smiley

And the Roman Catholic Church should stop being so idiotic trying to claim "jurisdiction" or "authority" over people who are following Jesus words over its "traditions". wink

Edited

smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Ubenedictus(m): 9:50pm On Sep 03, 2013
Enigma:

And here the duplicity of Roman Catholic apologists and the fraudulent sham of Roman Catholic arguments exposed.

1. They say their church is called "Catholic" because Ignatius gave that name to the church: but they declare Ignatius' own church "anathema"

2. They say Ignatius was a "Catholic": but they declare Ignatius' own church "anathema"

3. They say Ignatius is the one who says we must do nothing without bishops: but they declare Ignatius' own church "anathema"
are you saying that it is imposible for the church of antioch to fall into heresy after the death of ignatius? That is rubbish. Everything i explained is exactly on point, got back a do a little study.
Just to be clear it wasn't the church under him that was anathemized.

I never said he asked; I simply asked you to inform him. wink

And obviously, I am making fun of your uneasy alliance --- both sides of it.

One side says to or at least of the other: 'you are heretics without apostolic succession and your ordinations/orders are absolutely null and utterly void!' And the other side says ......... (fill in the blanks)! grin grin grin

smiley
that is what i call grasping at straws, if you wish to discuss catholic attitude to anglican orders then open a thread on it.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 9:55pm On Sep 03, 2013
Ubenedictus: are you saying that it is imposible for the church of antioch to fall into heresy after the death of ignatius? That is rubbish. Everything i explained is exactly on point, got back a do a little study.
Just to be clear it wasn't the church under him that was anathemized.

All I know is that despite all its claiming of Ignatius, the Roman Catholic Church currently declares the Church to which Ignatius belonged --- "anathema"!

And before you go defaming them (as is the way of the Roman Catholic Church) tell us what the Church of Antioch did to earn the anathema from the Roman Catholic Church.

Ubenedictus: that is what i call grasping at straws, if you wish to discuss catholic attitude to anglican orders then open a thread on it.

Nah, I am making fun of an alliance on this thread and the members of the alliance based on their own posts -- on this thread! wink

smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 9:56pm On Sep 03, 2013
Meanwhile, I repeat for good measure! smiley

Ubenedictus: ignatuis did.

Jesus Christ did not!

The apostles did not!

The Bible does not!

Ubenedictus: And for non protestant christians tradition is consider a source of doctrine.

You follow your "tradition" and we are happy to go with the words of the Lord Jesus Christ Himself that where two or three gather in His name, He is there! smiley

And the Roman Catholic Church should stop being so idiotic trying to claim "jurisdiction" or "authority" over people who are following Jesus words over its "traditions". wink

Edited

smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Ubenedictus(m): 9:58pm On Sep 03, 2013
Enigma:
Jesus Christ did not!

The apostles did not!

The Bible does not!

Edited

smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Ubenedictus(m): 9:59pm On Sep 03, 2013
Enigma:
Jesus Christ did not!

The apostles did not!

The Bible does not!

i didn't say they did, i clearly told you my source.

Edited

smiley
the last time a checked scriptures clearly show a church with both presbyter and bishops. Your 'church' without them is exactly that 'your church'.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Ubenedictus(m): 10:04pm On Sep 03, 2013
Enigma:

All I know is that despite all its claiming of Ignatius, the Roman Catholic Church currently declares the Church to which Ignatius belonged --- "anathema"!

And before you go defaming them (as is the way of the Roman Catholic Church) tell us what the Church of Antioch did to earn the anathema from the Roman Catholic Church.!
you brought on the issue of anathema, so you are ignorant of the stuff you've been talking about?
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 10:06pm On Sep 03, 2013
Ubenedictus: i didn't say they did, i clearly told you my source.

Your source is irrelevant to me ---- insofar as it contradicts the words of Jesus Christ Himself: where two or three gather in my name there am I! wink

Ubenedictus: the last time a checked scriptures clearly show a church with both presbyter and bishops. Your 'church' without them is exactly that 'your church'.

Show us where you find "pope" in the Bible? grin
Show us who was the "bishop" of the churches that met in houses as the Bible referred to? wink
Show us who who was "pope" and who was "bishop" of where during the Acts 15 council. wink

smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 10:09pm On Sep 03, 2013
Ubenedictus: you brought on the issue of anathema, so you are ignorant of the stuff you've been talking about?

Of course you want to dodge! You forgot that you are the one who brought up the issue of heresy! wink

So, what heresy did the Church of Antioch commit that made the Roman Catholic Church declare them "anathema"? grin

smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Ubenedictus(m): 11:03pm On Sep 03, 2013
Enigma:

Your source is irrelevant to me ---- insofar as it contradicts the words of Jesus Christ Himself: where two or three gather in my name there am I! wink

Show us where you find "pope" in the Bible? grin
Show us who was the "bishop" of the churches that met in houses as the Bible referred to? wink
Show us who who was "pope" and who was "bishop" of where during the Acts 15 council. wink

smiley
what else can i expect from anglican, they claim to be 'catholics' and quote one church father, when you show them exactly what the church father wrote they run back with their tails behind their leg and ask you to explain sola scriptura showing that they are protestants.
If you cant stand the church fathers why bother quoting them?

2 Likes

Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 11:07pm On Sep 03, 2013
^^ When you see your Anglican "friend", tell him that! grin
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Ubenedictus(m): 12:21am On Sep 04, 2013
Enigma: ^^ When you see your Anglican "friend", tell him that! grin
the question at the end is forr you
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by italo: 2:40am On Sep 04, 2013
@ Ubenedictus,

You have said enough to prove him an envious pretender.

We can now allow him "win" his war against the Catholic Church.

A war that Emperors Nero, Diocletian, Martin Luther and the communists together satan couldnt win.

1 Like

Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by bizmahn: 3:10am On Sep 04, 2013
italo: @ Ubenedictus,

You have said enough to prove him an envious pretender.

We can now allow him "win" his war against the Catholic Church.

A war that Emperors Nero, Diocletian, Martin Luther and the communists together satan couldnt win.
He clearly won.Christ won,The apostles won,The bible won.Praise be to God.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by bizmahn: 3:17am On Sep 04, 2013
bizmahn:
They'll certainly reply how come then the catholic thrives by holding the highest membership in millions & I'll reply how else can you explain the the world & hell holding multiple majority of sinners & only few get to heaven.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by italo: 6:07am On Sep 04, 2013
bizmahn:
They'll certainly reply how come then the catholic thrives by holding the highest membership in millions & I'll reply how else can you explain the the world & hell holding multiple majority of sinners & only few get to heaven.
bizmahn:

You were wrong about my reply though I respect you right to free speech that is guaranteed by democracy.

My reply is: HOW DID HE WIN?
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 8:02am On Sep 04, 2013
For anyone interested, there is a related thread that further shows that Roman Catholics are falsely/fraudulently claiming things done (or done mostly) by other people --- especially the Church/es to which people like Ignatius belonged. wink

Eastern Orthodox - The Orthodox CATHOLIC Church

https://www.nairaland.com/1254965/eastern-orthodox-church-orthodox-catholic

smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by bizmahn: 8:18am On Sep 04, 2013
Enigma: For anyone interested, there is a related thread that further shows that Roman Catholics are falsely/fraudulently claiming things done (or done mostly) by other people --- especially the Church/es to which people like Ignatius belonged. wink

Eastern Orthodox - The Orthodox CATHOLIC Church

https://www.nairaland.com/1254965/eastern-orthodox-church-orthodox-catholic

smiley
Ride on bros,you have full endorsement of Jesus on this one.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by italo: 8:48am On Sep 04, 2013
How does he have Jesus' endorsement. Please show me, that I might possibly convert.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Nobody: 11:00am On Sep 04, 2013
italo: How does he have Jesus' endorsement. Please show me, that I might possibly convert.

Protestants can claim anything in Jesus's name cheesy cheesy

Enigma and his crusade against the catholic church....Endorsed by Jesus (Navas)
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by truthislight: 1:06pm On Sep 04, 2013
Enigma: Meanwhile, let me remind you of this! wink

When you find where Jesus Christ, any of the apostles or anywhere in the Bible says "nothing should be done without the bishop", call me! smiley

smiley

^

That ^ is very funny indeed. grin cheesy
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Nobody: 6:54pm On Sep 06, 2013
I was born a CATHOLIC! I will live and living as a CATHOLIC and I will die a CATHOLIC smiley

Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by mandarin: 10:20pm On Oct 09, 2013
Dearest sorry for digressing, I need your help on FTA .plssssssssssssssss
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 10:45pm On Oct 09, 2013
^^ Ah bros, I never reach that side for a little while now! Is there a particular thread for yonder?

Also, if it is FTA generally I should be ok but I'm quite behind on Naija FTA specifically at the moment; I don slack that one small. grin
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by truthislight: 8:47am On Oct 10, 2013
Enigma: ^^ Ah bros, I never reach that side for a little while now! Is there a particular thread for yonder?

Also, if it is FTA generally I should be ok but I'm quite behind on Naija FTA specifically at the moment; I don slack that one small. grin

Nna men!

What is FTA naw ? grin
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Nobody: 11:47am On Oct 10, 2013
bizmahn:
darkness is stronger than light?
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by woky: 1:49pm On Oct 10, 2013
Enigma: ^^ When you see your Anglican "friend", tell him that! grin
is obvious dat u ar confuse... Stil following the thread shaa
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 10:56am On Oct 12, 2013
^^^ Ah, if you are "Stil following the thread shaa" (sic), here is a bonus for you . smiley

From online Encyclopaedia Britannica (Schools edition; see especially the last paragraph. wink

"catholic, (from Greek katholikos, “universal”), the characteristic that, according to ecclesiastical writers since the 2nd century, distinguished the Christian Church at large from local communities or from heretical and schismatic sects. A notable exposition of the term as it had developed during the first three centuries of Christianity was given by St. Cyril of Jerusalem in his Catecheses (348): the church is called catholic on the ground of its worldwide extension, its doctrinal completeness, its adaptation to the needs of men of every kind, and its moral and spiritual perfection.

The theory that what has been universally taught or practiced is true was first fully developed by St. Augustine in his controversy with the Donatists (a North African heretical Christian sect) concerning the nature of the church and its ministry. It received classic expression in a paragraph by St. Vincent of Lérins in his Commonitoria (434), from which is derived the formula: “What all men have at all times and everywhere believed must be regarded as true.” St. Vincent maintained that the true faith was that which the church professed throughout the world in agreement with antiquity and the consensus of distinguished theological opinion in former generations. Thus, the term catholic tended to acquire the sense of orthodox.

Some confusion in the use of the term has been inevitable, because various groups that have been condemned by the Roman Catholic Church as heretical or schismatic never retreated from their own claim to catholicity. Not only the Roman Catholic Church but also the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Anglican Church, and a variety of national and other churches claim to be members of the holy catholic church, as do most of the major Protestant churches.
"

smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Nobody: 9:47am On Nov 06, 2013
@Enigma

Big bro, I hope you either see the email or come online soon. I need your attention as soon as you can manage.

God bless you, big bro.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Nobody: 11:04am On Nov 06, 2013
truthislight:

Nna men!

What is FTA naw ? grin
FTA means free to air. Our big bros, is a satellite business mogul.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) / Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. / Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.