Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,424 members, 7,830,123 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You (7139 Views)

Religion Section 'awards Night' / Nairaland Religion First 11 - Just For Laughs!!! / POLL: Who Is Your Favourite Nairaland Religion Personality For The Year 2009? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by SalC: 12:29am On Apr 18, 2013
@Jesoul Thanks so much for such a wonderful and encouraging write up, I agree with you intoto
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by ezme(m): 6:51am On Apr 18, 2013
The religion section on nairaland for the first-time gave me the courage to ask myself the question many Christians never really get to ask them selves. "Why do i believe?"

Presently I'm still walking that path, and I may end up agnostic after this walk. While reading the "deconversion" thread. I realized it all boils down to perception of the world around you. The words of Mrs Ezekiel Enotie really got to me. I view religionists as lazy persons who have out-sourced responsibilities of the outcome of their every endeavors to third parties (Viz: God and the devil). Sadly, I used to worship in an environment where everyone believe their progress in life is tied to how much/often they sow seeds.

2 Likes

Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by Nobody: 6:58am On Apr 18, 2013
TroGunn:

All the evidence you need is right there in creation - evidence of extremely deep intellect, wisdom and immense power.

Creatures/creation are evidence of a God?

Shows how delusional your religion is. You have the nerve to claim that atheism is an illusion of knowledge with the nonsense you have just claimed!

1) What stops polytheists and pagans from claiming the same for their gods? There are thousands of species in this earth. We know that anything mass manufactured comes from a division of labour, hence many workers/producers/creators. In short, it makes more sense that many gods would be the creators of humans/animals rather than one god if at all creation is evidence of intelligent design.

2) "Creation" as you put it are only a result of evolution, the big bang and the formation of planets. These are things we can draw a direct connection to out planetary history or existence. We can explain a peice of the origin of the universe with the big bang, we can explain how the earth was formed from the formation of galaxies and we can explain how life is as a result of evolution from a common ancestor. Your God explains nothing. How did God create us? No answer. When did he create us? Now answer. Why did he create us? No answer.
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by Nobody: 7:00am On Apr 18, 2013
ezme: The religion section on nairaland for the first-time gave me the courage to ask myself the question many Christians never really get to ask them selves. "Why do i believe?"

Presently I'm still walking that path, and I may end up agnostic after this walk. While reading the "deconversion" thread. I realized it all boils down to perception of the world around you. The words of Mrs Ezekiel Enotie really got to me. I view religionists as lazy persons who have out-sourced responsibilities of the outcome of their every endeavors to third parties (Viz: God and the devil). Sadly, I used to worship in an environment where everyone believe their progress in life is tied to how much/often they sow seeds.

Thank you!
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by Nobody: 9:00am On Apr 18, 2013
TroGunn: It's laid bare the depth of counterfeit religion (counterfeit Christianity and others) and it's stranglehold on people.

It's exposed me to atheism, and I've found it largely dumb and shallow - sure requires much more faith to believe than in God.

Overall, it has surely strengthened my belief in the one true God and in the Bible's accuracy.
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by plaetton: 1:45pm On Apr 18, 2013
ijawkid:

There lies the wahala....the holy spirit isn't a person....so your molestation theory won't work........

coolwink

Holy Spirit isnt a person, and therefore did not intimately molest Mary, huh?
But it did manage a plant a biological seed in mary, did it not?

hhhhmmm, I wonder how it did that?
Lets take a look.
The holy spirit impregnated mary, right?
Any primary school child knows that to get someone pregnant, genetic material in the form of sperm must be transfered, right?
We also know that for that to happen, a certain level of genital excitement is necessary from the tranferee, right?
We also know that to get that genital attention, there must be lust, and in order to have sufficent lust, hormones must be very active, right?

So kindly explain how the holy spirit impregnated Mary without all of the above.

Let me guess:
Miracle!! Right?
Ok. fair enough.

But,..... Was it consensual?
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by cyrexx: 3:23pm On Apr 18, 2013
nokia3310: I've been a registered member of this forum since 2009 but hardly visit religion section, but even when i do, i only visits threads related to Islam(as i used to be a muslim). I remembered vividly how i was shocked to the bone the first time i read through some post with arguments against god but the decisive one was one thread by Avicenna. That thread practically made me to dump religion. My family members are expecting Ramadan in the next few months, i can't imagine how sweet it will be to eat all through the holy month grin I can never thank nairaland enough.

WOW. That epic thread by Avicenna. its that same thread that initiated my serious questioning of religion and further research and discoveries finally led me to atheism. Thanks to that bold guy . And remarkably, he claimed he was influenced by Sir Logicboy.so thanks to Logicboy,
thanks to MusKeeto,
to Mazaje,
to Plaetton,
to every other active nairaland atheists out there

Like I said earlier, you guys rock till infinity.
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by plaetton: 3:48pm On Apr 18, 2013
You are welcome sir Cyrexx.
BUT OMG.
My mother is gonna kill me o.
Instead of winning souls(more like slaves) for Christ, I am here on NL winning rebels and stirring revolt against the kingdom ok f heaven.
It seems like de ja vu all over again.

If only she knew.
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by Heatblast(m): 4:19pm On Apr 18, 2013
plaetton: You are welcome sir Cyrexx.
BUT OMG.
My mother is gonna kill me o.
Instead of winning souls(more like slaves) for Christ, I am here on NL winning rebels and stirring revolt against the kingdom ok f heaven.
It seems like de ja vu all over again.

If only she knew.

Hahaha....I'm in the same situation, my mom is deeply religious, I just wonder if I'm ever going to tell her... sad

1 Like

Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by mazaje(m): 4:29pm On Apr 18, 2013
Heatblast:

Hahaha....I'm in the same situation, my mom is deeply religious, I just wonder if I'm ever going to tell her... sad

Don't tell her. she will never understand. . .My mum used to believe we are TRULY we are in the end times and Jesus will come during her life time. . .How do you start telling a person that believes the bible came down from heaven that you do not believe in god?. . .

1 Like

Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by Nobody: 4:52pm On Apr 18, 2013
cyrexx:

WOW. That epic thread by Avicenna. its that same thread that initiated my serious questioning of religion and further research and discoveries finally led me to atheism. Thanks to that bold guy . And remarkably, he claimed he was influenced by Sir Logicboy.so thanks to Logicboy,
thanks to MusKeeto,
to Mazaje,
to Plaetton,
to every other active nairaland atheists out there

Like I said earlier, you guys rock till infinity.

Cheers bro!!

However, I thought you were a hardcore atheist from a very young age. Didnt know that you were a nairaland convert.

smiley
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by plaetton: 5:44pm On Apr 18, 2013
In the lonely world of an atheist, the nairaland religilous section has gradually gone from pastime, to regular companion, and now, to almost an obsession.
I came across it by accident almost 2 yrs ago. Call it serendipity.
My first impulse was to repudiate , as strongly as I can, most of the ridiculous notions and beliefs being hawked by Nigeria's swarm of lucusts called pastors or MOF(men of fraud).

In the process , I have gained so much insight, learned so much, even about myself. I am no longer content to remain a closet atheist, but can now courageously stand my ground to defend my convictions, beliefs, or lack thereof.

However, I had almost resigned to the fact that my daily warfare with homo-religilous-Nigeriana was becoming tiring and a fruitless effort.
I had concluded that most of the NL religious champions were simply here to act out their persecution syndromes.

But with this thread and the testimonies of the newly liberated brethren, it has been very refreshing to see that there are many who are coming to terms with the many contradictions and incongruities embedded in Judeo-christian concepts of divinity, and have boldly taken steps to liberate themselves and their precious minds from the heavy and oppressive yolks of religion.

What is important is that no amount or argument, no matter how eloquent, can convert anyone from one belief system to another.

What is evident, is that the human spirit, deep down, has a yearning for freedom and truth. Climbing one's way into freedom ,in this case, depends on how deep the individual is embedded in the religious pits dug by parents and environments, and also, the willingness of the individual mind or spirit to accommodate the rough seeds of truth being hurled about here in Nl religious section by atheists, deists, agnostics, Pagans(up Pagan 9ja wink), as well as the goddists themselves.

So , I am again optimistic.
The war against unreason is on in full blast.
The future of Africa depends on it.
grin
So..,
March on, Sir logicdude,
March on, Commander Muskeeto,
March on, General Mazaje,
March on, Captain Cyrexx,
March on, lt. Wiegraf,
March on, Chief Pagan 9ja and all others,
March on, all SOLDIERS OF REASON

Let's chase these vandals of unreason away with their sky-daddy, that we may inherit the earth.(After they have all raptured to the sky to spend eternity with their celestial tyrant). good luck to them. lol.
For, it is written:
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

4 Likes

Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by Nobody: 5:49pm On Apr 18, 2013
^^^^^^^
grin
Lmao...
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by Heatblast(m): 6:30pm On Apr 18, 2013
mazaje:

Don't tell her. she will never understand. . .My mum used to believe we are TRULY we are in the end times and Jesus will come during her life time. . .How do you start telling a person that believes the bible came down from heaven that you do not believe in god?. . .

Lol... Mine also believes in all that nonsense too, and every time I remember this, I just keep my disbelief to my self.
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by mazaje(m): 8:08pm On Apr 18, 2013
Heatblast:
Lol... Mine also believes in all that nonsense too, and every time I remember this, I just keep my disbelief to my self.

The problem is that most Nigerians are not exposed to the other side, they know about only one side which is the only side they have been indoctrinated to accept as the truth i.e their religion. Most don't know anything about any other religion besids the normal distortion of the religion. Very few know about other alternative explanations, most just believe the entire world revolves aroud their religious tales by moon light. . .

1 Like

Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by SalC: 8:16pm On Apr 18, 2013
musKeeto: ^^^^^^^
grin
Lmao...
Na wa ooo
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by Nobody: 9:10pm On Apr 18, 2013
plaetton: In the lonely world of an atheist, the nairaland religilous section has gradually gone from pastime, to regular companion, and now, to almost an obsession.
I came across it by accident almost 2 yrs ago. Call it serendipity.
My first impulse was to repudiate , as strongly as I can, most of the ridiculous notions and beliefs being hawked by Nigeria's swarm of lucusts called pastors or MOF(men of fraud).

In the process , I have gained so much insight, learned so much, even about myself. I am no longer content to remain a closet atheist, but can now courageously stand my ground to defend my convictions, beliefs, or lack thereof.

However, I had almost resigned to the fact that my daily warfare with homo-religilous-Nigeriana was becoming tiring and a fruitless effort.
I had concluded that most of the NL religious champions were simply here to act out their persecution syndromes.

But with this thread and the testimonies of the newly liberated brethren, it has been very refreshing to see that there are many who are coming to terms with the many contradictions and incongruities embedded in Judeo-christian concepts of divinity, and have boldly taken steps to liberate themselves and their precious minds from the heavy and oppressive yolks of religion.

What is important is that no amount or argument, no matter how eloquent, can convert anyone from one belief system to another.

What is evident, is that the human spirit, deep down, has a yearning for freedom and truth. Climbing one's way into freedom ,in this case, depends on how deep the individual is embedded in the religious pits dug by parents and environments, and also, the willingness of the individual mind or spirit to accommodate the rough seeds of truth being hurled about here in Nl religious section by atheists, deists, agnostics, Pagans(up Pagan 9ja wink), as well as the goddists themselves.

So , I am again optimistic.
The war against unreason is on in full blast.
The future of Africa depends on it.
grin
So..,
March on, Sir logicdude,
March on, Commander Muskeeto,
March on, General Mazaje,
March on, Captain Cyrexx,
March on, lt. Wiegraf,
March on, Chief Pagan 9ja and all others,
March on, all SOLDIERS OF REASON

Let's chase these vandals of unreason away with their sky-daddy, that we may inherit the earth.(After they have all raptured to the sky to spend eternity with their celestial tyrant). good luck to them. lol.
For, it is written:
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

Epic, sir, just epic.

inspiring
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by plaetton: 9:33pm On Apr 18, 2013
Logicboy03:

Epic, sir, just epic.

inspiring

Thank you brave soldier.
grin
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by cyrexx: 9:54pm On Apr 18, 2013
There is no more need for religious ideology in this world. Humanity has advanced beyond the need for myths.

We Soldiers of Reason stand here with open eyes, watching the physical, emotional and intellectual harm religion causes to humans. We mourn the losses of those killed by religious fundamentalists, we are saddened by the poor upon whom the religious leaders fed fat, and we care for those that religionists do not.

KNOWLEDGE and REASON are our weapons and the human mind is the battleground. We will not stand in the shadows. We will not quiet our voices. We will not stop fighting until churches and mosques become relics of the past.

[size=16pt]We are the SOLDIERS OF REASON .
We will not retreat, we will not surrender.
Mankind must progress beyond iron age mythologies and
THE TIME IS NOW!!![/size]

3 Likes

Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by Nobody: 9:58pm On Apr 18, 2013
cyrexx: There is no more need for religious ideology in this world. Humanity has advanced beyond the need for myths.

We Soldiers of Reason stand here with open eyes, watching the physical, emotional and intellectual harm religion causes to humans. We mourn the losses of those killed by religious fundamentalists, we are saddened by the poor upon the religious leaders fed fat, and we care for those that religionists do not.

KNOWLEDGE and REASON are our weapons and the human mind is the battleground. We will not stand in the shadows. We will not quiet our voices. We will not stop fighting until churches and mosques become relics of the past.

THE TIME IS NOW[/size]

Did spartacus possess you?

Anyways, I'm marching with you to the north in defense of atheism

Tonight, we dine in hell angry angry angry
============================================================

lmao
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by mumumugu(m): 10:09pm On Apr 18, 2013
tuagbo: In February 2010, i stumbled across a post by "bloodshed" criticising religion.The post blew my mind.So,i started investigating and came across posts by "muskeeto" and "plaetton" then later, "logicboy."Like play,like play na so i become atheist o.So, thank you VERY MUCH Nairaland religion section esp the names mentioned for telling me the truth thereby, opening my eyes
you mumu pass me
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by Heatblast(m): 10:15pm On Apr 18, 2013
mazaje:

The problem is that most Nigerians are not exposed to the other side, they know about only one side which is the only side they have been indoctrinated to accept as the truth i.e their religion. Most don't know anything about any other religion besids the normal distortion of the religion. Very few know about other alternative explanations, most just believe the entire world revolves aroud their religious tales by moon light. . .

True... Reminds me of my roommate back then, he was a pastor, more so he was the epitome of myopic
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by mumumugu(m): 10:31pm On Apr 18, 2013
musKeeto:

chai.. cold lady.. no wise and seasoned atheist, abi? smiley

no atheist are ..,,..,.(dont wana get band)
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by mumumugu(m): 10:41pm On Apr 18, 2013
ijawkid:

Thank you for enlightening the pompous mumu......grin

yes,you called me
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by mumumugu(m): 10:42pm On Apr 18, 2013
striktlymi:

Body dey inside cloth o! ooman just dey fire me since o grin
so you sabi speak pidgin.
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by Nobody: 10:44pm On Apr 18, 2013
mumumugu: so you sabi speak pidgin.

I sabi speak pidgin like mad! grin grin grin grin
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by mumumugu(m): 10:45pm On Apr 18, 2013
Heatblast:

why havent you told her? Scared she wil flog you
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by Heatblast(m): 10:52pm On Apr 18, 2013
mumumugu: why havent you told her? Scared she wil flog you

I am guessing your eyes skipped the "deeply religious" part
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by wiegraf: 12:43am On Apr 19, 2013
Heatblast:

I am guessing your eyes skipped the "deeply religious" part

No, he actually did.. You are probably giving him too much credit..
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by mantraa: 9:25am On Apr 19, 2013
mazaje:

You hit the nail on the head with you comment. This is the problem we have but the solution is very simple as we can all see by reading this thread.

We need to get the opposing information about religion to the general religious public.

Most religious people will never willingly visit an atheist website or watch an atheist video online. We need to get atheist videos on tv to counter all the god channels that broadcast 24 hours a day. In America they have public access tv which is free. You just need to download an hour of atheist video from YouTube, burn it to disc and send to you local public access tv for broadcast. This idea was being discussed on the Richard Dawkins website here in the comments section http://www.richarddawkins.net/foundation_articles/2013/2/20/liberty-council-s-threat-to-the-triangle-freethought-society-and-sophia-for-the-short-documentary-sophia-investigates-the-good-news-club-by-scott-burdick

If 60 minute compilations of free to air, professional looking documentaries and videos are aired on a weekly basis I think there would be enough people that stumble upon it and watch it to make the effort worthwhile. Millions more people will stumble upon an atheist tv station by chance then deliberately search for and watch an atheists video online.
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by Nobody: 10:28am On Apr 19, 2013
mazaje:

New christians are made by being born into the religion and indoctrinated since child hood, just like muslims, buddist hindus, taoist etc. . .If most christians were presented with the bible for the first time on their 21st birthdays and told about it and the hypothesis it carries, there will be very few christians in the world today. . .

So, you agree that new Christians are not made by existential debates.

Nice. grin
Re: How Helpful Has Nairaland Religion Section Been To You by Nobody: 10:43am On Apr 19, 2013
cyrexx: There is no more need for religious ideology in this world. Humanity has advanced beyond the need for myths.

We Soldiers of Reason stand here with open eyes, watching the physical, emotional and intellectual harm religion causes to humans. We mourn the losses of those killed by religious fundamentalists, we are saddened by the poor upon whom the religious leaders fed fat, and we care for those that religionists do not.

THE TIME IS NOW!!![/size]

Corny as ever! cheesy

Actually, your species don't exist at all. Because, as has been proven on this forum and everywhere else where this battle has been fought, eveeyone's got religion although the gods and deities may vary.

And your myth is that man is God enough for himself, isn't it? grin And that's not exactly a new religion, it's almost as old as humankind and has always resisted Christ from the beginning.

wink

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

God's Omnipotence Contradicts The Requirement For Free Will In God's Plan. / Was Man Originally Created To Live & Die Or Live Forever? / Words Of Encouragement From The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.