Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,947 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names (6038 Views)

Union Bank Loses Two Billion Naira To Fraudsters...EFCC Steps In / PROMO!!! .com, .net, .biz, .org Domain Names For N159 On Namecheap.com / Cheapest Domain Names: Netfirms? Godaddy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Lilimax(f): 2:00pm On Apr 15, 2013
Akin-David:
.ng will make my website look dubious and suspicious for my foreign clients.. grin grin
I quite agree with you. Some sites have blocked the name Nigeria from entering or commenting on their sites. Typical example is www.dailymail.co.uk. This site will tell you that the NIGERIA is banned from commenting on their sites.It is as bad as that.
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by 2jideofor(m): 2:07pm On Apr 15, 2013
egift: how can we get one?

At checkout, please try any of these...

They are all time effective; they wont work if not use on time

CJC5A
CJCRMN5A
$0.99 - gofay055
$0.99 - vday99
$1.99 - gofbgauk24
$5.99 - cjc599v1
$3.09 - gtng2tk01
$7.99 - gofay064

chris295
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Nobody: 2:08pm On Apr 15, 2013
@ OP

Nigeria lost this Nigeria lost that my a$$! What makes you think other countries are not doing the same? I hate this eccentric nature of most Nigerians. Learn to be accommodating. If not the country will be very protective of its businesses and it won't help matter but end up being poorly done.

Not everybody that likes poor job. If the .ng can guarantee better work people will go for it. Not the one that will keep failing or going offline! Please!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Nobody: 2:37pm On Apr 15, 2013
all4naija: @ OP

Nigeria lost this Nigeria lost that my a$$! What makes you think other countries are not doing the same? I hate this eccentric nature of most Nigerians. Learn to be accommodating. If not the country will be very protective of its businesses and it won't help matter but end up being poorly done.

Not everybody that like poor job. If the .ng can guarantee better work people will go for it. Not the one that will keep failing or going offline! Please!

Do you even understand the implications of hosting so many Nigerian owned sites abroad?

600,000 registered foreign domain names in the country
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by gameaddict(m): 2:58pm On Apr 15, 2013
The truth is country specific domain names are artificially expensive and in a world where the internet is at the forefront of globalization, the benefit of domain localization at such an expense is minimal especially for small businesses.

Also, .com.ng and .ng domains do not amount to patriotism, let us stop this devious claim. Are google and microsoft any different than they were before they acquired those domains? Did they even acquire it to look patriotic? Nope, purely business and legal reasons.

If they are serious about enabling Nigerian businesses through localized domains, they should lower the costs. Devious means such as enforcing registrations and accusations of non patriotism will only reduce the attractiveness of the domains.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Nobody: 3:03pm On Apr 15, 2013
Wetin i dey use .com.ng do when my biz us universal. .Com makes over much sense as its very easy for people to remember then .com,ng or even .co.uk
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Nobody: 3:04pm On Apr 15, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Is Nairaland registered with the CAC?
As I understand, this is a minimum requirement that has to be satisfied in to order to register a .ng domain.

I don't think that there is any requirement. Last 2yrs or so i registered .com.ng domains about 5 of them with web4africa then though i didn't use them and let them expire.
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Nobody: 3:18pm On Apr 15, 2013
gboss4sure:

I don't think that there is any requirement. Last 2yrs or so i registered .com.ng domains about 5 of them with web4africa then though i didn't use them and let them expire.

Thanks for sharing this info.

When I last looked up the requirements, at a time when there were a smaller number of domain registrants, this was this case.
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Nobody: 3:31pm On Apr 15, 2013
gameaddict: The truth is country specific domain names are artificially expensive and in a world where the internet is at the forefront of globalization, the benefit of domain localization at such an expense is minimal especially for small businesses.

Also, .com.ng and .ng domains do not amount to patriotism, let us stop this devious claim. Are google and microsoft any different than they were before they acquired those domains? Did they even acquire it to look patriotic? Nope, purely business and legal reasons.

If they are serious about enabling Nigerian businesses through localized domains, they should lower the costs. Devious means such as enforcing registrations and accusations of non patriotism will only reduce the attractiveness of the domains.

I understand the trust of your argument regarding the cost of registering a domain name and think I made this much clear earlier on.

The way I see it, whether we like it or not, at some point, a change in circumstances is going to compel us to stop being so nonchalant about these matters.

My 2 cent.

Homeland Security Working Hard To Make Sure No One Wants To Use .com Or .net Domains

Remember Erik Barnett? He's the deputy director of Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) unit, who seems to have a way with words. He's the guy who admitted that Homeland Security was censoring websites because entertainment companies asked them to. He's also the guy who lied about whether or not anyone was challenging domain seizures when he knew those challenges were underway.

Now he's out trying to defend the ridiculously short-sighted decision by the US government try to extradite Richard O'Dwyer from the UK, for running the site TVshack, despite it almost certainly being legal in the UK. According to Barnett, none of that seems to matter, because O'Dwyer was using a .net.

"The jurisdiction we have over these sites right now really is the use of the domain name registry system in the United States. That's the key."

The only necessary "nexus to the US" is a .com or .net web address for which Verisign acts as the official registry operator, he said

That's the key, but it's also ridiculous and stupidly self-damaging for the US. On a jurisdictional basis, there are a variety of different factors that people use to determine what the proper jurisdiction is, and relying solely on the registry, thus making all .com and .net (among other) domains US property, is simply ridiculous. Almost anyone thinking about it would realize that if a site is run by someone in the UK and hosted on servers in the UK, it's silly and counter-factual to claim that it's really US property.

Of course, the end result of this will be to drive more and more foreigners away from using US domain names. None of this will do anything to stop infringement, which Barnett seems to think is his job. But it will harm American companies (the ones he claims he's trying to help) by getting foreign internet users to stay away from them due to the liability that some hotshot in the Justice Department suddenly decides he or she wants to pull someone from their home and ship them to the US to face criminal charges on something that may have been completely legal where they're from.

Source
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by docjuli(m): 3:53pm On Apr 15, 2013
gboss4sure:

Requirement is for .ng not .com.ng
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Nobody: 4:40pm On Apr 15, 2013
docjuli:

Requirement is for .ng not .com.ng

Thanks for providing confirmation.
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by kedukc(m): 6:04pm On Apr 15, 2013
if nira wanted to make .ng competitive, they should:

1. Listen to nigerian business: The job they are doing is useless if they don't understand the needs of the beneficiaries.

2. Uncomplicate the process: I wish it were as easy as clicking through a godaddy cart

3. Totaly deflate the price: nuff said.

4. .com.ng is unsexy, scrap if possible.

5. Foster an independent body in the mould of verisign to monitor & certify legitimate .ng sites (NB: powers of this body do not include taking down a site. Merely certifying business compliance is enough to give consumers confidence and deter fraud)

24/7 Electricity will also make hosting easy and more affordable, giving me total control over my site backend. Sometimes the things that cause downtime are very simple to fix but we're always at the mercy of some faceless tech support person halfway across the world. Why is this relevant? Cos downtime reinforces the idea that naija business generally is seedy, whether it's a .com or .ng -- it's not nira responsibility tho.
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Nobody: 6:26pm On Apr 15, 2013
Make .ng names cheaper and remove the cac registration requirements.
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by easik: 8:35pm On Apr 15, 2013
Well your competition charges far less. The average domain name, .com. .net, .org etc cost an equivalent of N1,600 or less. That's a fraction of what one would pay for a .ng domain name. What's so special about a .ng that it cost 3 times as much?
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by adoniza(m): 9:54pm On Apr 15, 2013
15k? Meenn that .ng domain is way too much
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by badboy: 11:46pm On Apr 15, 2013
@Akhis

In a country of over 170 million people, only 26,000 domain names were registered with NiRA at the end of 2013.

So they already know rthe numbers that will register by yeat end. Thought we are still in 2013

Nice observation!
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by emmatok(m): 12:41am On Apr 16, 2013
Orikinla: [size=28pt]When NIRA makes domain names as affordable as N5000, we will patronize NIRA for .ng.com names.[/size]

My friend .com.ng is N1500 per year.
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by sportfeva(m): 2:05am On Apr 16, 2013
Which Nigerians are buying .co.uk, it seems useless.
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by tefund(m): 10:35am On Apr 16, 2013
Lilimax: We as a country need to redeem our image globally before talking about having a domain bearing .ng. Nigeria as a name has been blocked in some international sites and and using the .ng may likely hamper your business globally. The ealier we know this the better for us as a country.
you said it all,the name nigeria is a curse
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by JideTheBlogger(m): 1:35pm On Apr 16, 2013
if you want to register your .ng domain name, check where to buy.ng domain name here.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by IncomeTutor: 5:29pm On Apr 16, 2013
To hell with Nigeria domain names if it will not portray me
as a global entrepreneur. Internet is a global platform and
anything that will restrict me from that goal is nonsense.
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Nobody: 9:24pm On Apr 16, 2013
JideTheBlogger: if you want to register your .ng domain name, check where to buy.ng domain name here.

$199/year for a domain name @JideTheBlogger?
I would say such exorbitant fees are for the uninformed only.

Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by JideTheBlogger(m): 9:00am On Apr 17, 2013
eGuerrilla:

$199/year for a domain name @JideTheBlogger?
I would say such exorbitant fees are for the uninformed only.

Still wondering why some Nigerian registrars want to give out same for 15k. I will know whatz up when they start selling it though.
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by 2jideofor(m): 10:08am On Apr 18, 2013
It's not a question of which Nigeria but for a varied reason and perspective.

I am a domainer and almost sold it for £3000 if not that the company changed mind based the company's current priorities.

I'm hoping that the 2nd company buys it. I just have to be patient.
sportfeva: Which Nigerians are buying .co.uk, it seems useless.
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by 2jideofor(m): 10:12am On Apr 18, 2013
Internet is not literarily a global platform just that it gives you a wider audience.
IncomeTutor: To hell with Nigeria domain names if it will not portray me
as a global entrepreneur. Internet is a global platform and
anything that will restrict me from that goal is nonsense.
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by ibietela2(m): 11:15pm On Apr 19, 2013
[size=36pt]YAWNS[/size]
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by ibietela2(m): 11:17pm On Apr 19, 2013
15k?? What for?? If na pr 9 then am going to pay
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by seyicash(m): 7:54am On Oct 20, 2013
There are many details people really don't seem to get about what registering a .NG domain name means to a nigerian. So far so good the process of registering .ng domain names have been simplified and cost reduced with some registrars giving them out @ about N1,500 or so. Visit www.nira.org.ng for updated details. Also u can scroll through www.licf.org.ng to understand the need to make more of our websites local. Trust me its the way to go!!!
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by mrperfect(m): 3:32pm On Oct 21, 2013
Is this old or new news? I think they should work in improving the service, it will be a good one if it attractive to Nigerians.
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by seyicash(m): 6:28pm On Oct 21, 2013
This is definitely new News, and the service is just as reliable (or even more) than the the .com...e.t.c domain names you buy. I can give youa list of Top organisations in Nigeria who carry out dier businesses using this domain name......and have never experienced a hiccup since they do. NIRA servers have not gone down for as long as i can remember..........
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Youngem20: 12:35am On Jan 11, 2018
Who ever published that article must be the lamest person alive. Saying Nigeria loses 3.67 billion naira is a very senseless and ridiculous post. It's like saying the money spent on the food you eat is a lost money. Mind you, Nigerians that purchase foreign domains and utilize it properly will end up making money from their website from foreign advertisers on paid advertising platforms like google adsense. ultimately, who is the biggest winner. It hurts to see the level of educated illiterates in our dear country Nigeria. People who are just there to sabotage the efforts of Nigerian home based entrepreneurs. so far, so good... I've observed a trend on blogger help forum, a lot of people complaining that their domain is inaccessible in their resident country. I have observed them to be Nigerian owned domains purchased from foreign companies. Presently, my domain is accessible in every other country in the world aside from Nigeria. You think that is just a coincidence? I don't give a damn. You can't force me to buy a .com.ng domain from the so-called nira.com which must be one of those dubious personalities fortunate to be at the receiving end of Nigerian corrupt way of giving out contracts after disbursing a lot of bribes in order to beat off competitors... This are the little ways human rights are violated in this country. someone must look into this and give the Nigerian webmasters a voice. In this 21st century, we must stop reasoning like educated illiterates. my domain is inaccessible in Nigeria only for reasons I know not of.
Re: Nigeria Loses N3.76B To Foreign Domain Names by Sandieby(f): 12:19pm On Jun 03, 2019
We provide IT solutions such as Android/Ios Applications, web designing, development and Telecom value added services, contact us on Info@genrosys.com , www.genrosys.com or call Sandra 08160956103.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can't Believe I Got Adsense Approval Under 1 Hour / Top 8 Reasons Why Google Adsense Do Not Pay Several Bloggers / Best Web Hosting Company In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.