Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,241 members, 7,836,150 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:37 PM

Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS (3319 Views)

Names Of Ministerial Nominees In The Second Batch / Nigerian Emerged Second Best In 2013 World Research Competition / Aregbesola's First-class Schools in Osun, The ''O'' State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by NeoXVI: 8:04pm On Apr 15, 2013
Good for them. But it sounds more like a propaganda piece.

Firstly, the Federal Bureau of Statistics is not OWNED by the PDP as the article purported. It is a federal parastatal.
Secondly, whatever is "least poverty state"? How about richest, or best developed or highest in HDI.
Thirdly, to accurately gage progress, they should have stated clearly where Osun was on the same ranking 2, 3, 5 years ago, and how they have steadily progressed.

And finally, the claim of being the 3rd cleanest state is VERY HIGHLY SUSPECT. Enugu, Imo, Akwa-Ibom, Crossriver, etc are very clean states. Eyewitness accounts don't bear that claim out.

All in all sha, I suspect they have made good progress, but this article appears to exaggerate things. They should stick to facts.

1 Like

Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by NeoXVI: 8:21pm On Apr 15, 2013
FreeGlobe:
Since you don't want to respect yourself I will disgrace you further. What is this?
https://www.nairaland.com/1174921/nbc-denies-recent-poverty-rating
Show us the federal bureau of statistics that made the SW state a haven you Shameless chronic liar and propagandist. Rubbish

FreeGlobe: Its a pity that Nigerians will be defrauded by Gbawe, the official ACN peddler of lies. This same stats was discussed exhaustively earlier this year even to the extent of the NBS denouncing the ACN stats. It was discovered that Osun state was indeed among the poorest states in Nigeria. Fastforward 3 months later, Gbawe the shameless ACN peddler of lies, writes an article on the denounced stats praising aregbe to receive his salary. am about to post links. watch out!

kettykings:

The Research i have done proves otherwise a state like osun with virtually no meaningful industry except for the machine tool complex , the Dilapidated NITEL exchange in Oshogbo, some few ancestral land marks like the Osun river visited only by yoruba Pagans and some hectares of farm lands of indian hemp, cocoa and poultry farms around ife can not be said to be the state with least poverty even with 2.2 M population , there are states that have much more wealth like a thriving Oil Industry, Aluminium smelter plan , very large expanse of palm , cassava a big fishing industry and a rapid infrastructure growth like Akwa Ibom.

Poverty simply put is the absence of certain amount of material possession or money .
which boils down to Osun state being the state with the least number of people lacking certain amount of material possession or money . which is a blatant lie from the pit of hell if that was the case more people would have migrated to Osun to leverage on the chances of living above poverty level

Osun can not be said to have lower poverty incidence than Akwa Ibom , Bayelsa, delta and Rivers

Dr Yemi Kale should have brought out in details on how he arrived at these figures

Gbawe defend yourself o. I'm not accusing you of peddling lies, but you should confirm osundefender articles from a second or third source before posting, otherwise you stand to ridicule your good name. Those guys are a propaganda news site.

1 Like

Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by obioraop(m): 8:28pm On Apr 15, 2013
ayswags and oda tin i dnt knw ur name i am serving in oshgbo and wen am done hopefully in 2mnths i wudnt spend a minute xtra in dat place dnt get it twistd
Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by dlight1(m): 8:29pm On Apr 15, 2013
These ACN apologists and their gibberish one does not need any statistics to know this is not true. I'm very close to Osun people having been in Ife for the past four years their level of complacency is quite disturbing, what have Osun got to make them rank among the least poverty stricken states. What is the internal revenue like in osun state these are clear facts to adjudge the poverty level and what in particular has Ogbeni Aregbesola done that is so unique all you hear is O this O that the only meaningful achievement is the employment of 20,000 youths who are being paid #10,000

1 Like

Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by obioraop(m): 8:39pm On Apr 15, 2013
abi o dlight help me tell dem.folks here re easily decieved dis is pure propaganda nt more or is it nt d same oshogbo we nicknamed a glorified village
Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by Gbawe: 9:23pm On Apr 15, 2013
FreeGlobe:
Since you don't want to respect yourself I will disgrace you further. What is this?
https://www.nairaland.com/1174921/nbc-denies-recent-poverty-rating
Show us the federal bureau of statistics that made the SW state a haven you Shameless chronic liar and propagandist. Rubbish

Only jobless fools who have not got you worked out will engage in any back and forth with you.
Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by Gbawe: 9:27pm On Apr 15, 2013
Neo-XVI:

Gbawe defend yourself o. I'm not accusing you of peddling lies, but you should confirm osundefender articles from a second or third source before posting, otherwise you stand to ridicule your good name. Those guys are a propaganda news site.

Defend myself against who exactly? When decent folks engage me I will respond. I won't respond to rabid bigots who are only known for their hatred of anything SW here to the extent they are literally always the ones foaming at the mouth, on any issue to do with the SW, over so-called propaganda. Is it Kettyking I should lower myself responding to when he has exposed himself here for what he is after the initial pretence. Who writes the garbage he does below and gains the response of sensible people?

This is not all about crime this about talking the least poverty rate when in actual case Osun is driven by an Indian Hemp Economy

Or is is the vile bigot freeglobe, now pretending to be a woman, you want me to get in the gutter with? Folks like that belong in the gutter because it is their home and all classy/sensible posters will do well to avoid those irritants who add no value here and only disturb the forum with the indoctrinated hatred they carry about for others 24/7.

As for asking me to provide other sources, you can find information for yourself if your agenda is not one of sly mischief and partisan 'devils advocate'. If I don't respond to some here never assume it is because I cannot back whatever I bring here. It is not everyone that deserves a response otherwise I would expect you in a motor-park daily to be fighting illiterate drug-addicted agberos with no formal education whatsoever. Hope you are happy with the Punch?

http://www.punchng.com/news/sokoto-katsina-top-list-of-poor-states/

Sokoto, Katsina top list of poor states

JANUARY 6, 2013 BY ALLWELL OKPI

At the end of 2012, Sokoto State remained the poorest state in the country, with 81.2 per cent poverty rate, the records of the National Bureau of Statistics have shown.

According to the information on states of the federation, posted on the bureau’s website, other states with over 70 per cent poverty rate include Katsina, 74.5 per cent; Adamawa, 74.2 per cent; Gombe, 74.2 per cent; Jigawa, 74.1 per cent; Plateau, 74.1 per cent; Ebonyi, 73.6 per cent; Bauchi, 73 per cent; Kebbi, 72 per cent and Zamfara, 70.8 per cent.

The state with the lowest poverty rate was Niger with 33.8 per cent, followed by Osun with 37.9 per cent and Ondo, 45.7 per cent.

Others with less than 50 per cent poverty rate were Bayelsa State, 47 per cent and Lagos State, 48.6 per cent.

The average poverty rate of the states in the North -West geopolitical zone remained the highest at 71.4 per cent followed by North-East 69.1 per cent and North Central, 60.7 per cent.

The record showed that poverty was least prevalent in the South-West, with an average of 49.8 per cent, followed by South-South, 55.5 per cent and South-East, 59.5 per cent.

According to NBS, national unemployment rate stood at 23.9 per cent at the beginning of 2012.

There were no figures for 2011 but the 2012 statistics represented an improvement in the figures released by the bureau for 2010.

The Statistician-General of the NBS, Dr. Yemi Kale, had said 112.519 million Nigerians, representing 69 per cent, lived in relative poverty conditions.

He said this when he released the country’s 2010 poverty profile.

According to the NBS boss, the agency arrived at the 2010 figure, by collecting data from 20 million households having an average of four family members.

In that report, Sokoto had the highest poverty rate of 86.4 per cent, while Niger had the lowest — at 43.6 per cent.

It would be recalled that as at 2004, Jigawa State had the highest poverty rate of 95 per cent, while Anambra, had the lowest- 22 per cent.

For unemployment rate, Zamfara State had the highest rate of 42.6 per cent, followed by Bauchi, 41.4 per cent.

Other states with above 30 per cent unemployment rate included, Gombe, 38.7 per cent; Nassarawa, 36.5 per cent; Jigawa, 35.9 per cent; Edo, 35.2 per cent; Adamawa, 33.8 per cent and Kaduna, 30.3 per cent.

According to the records, unemployment was least in Osun followed by Kwara and Lagos.

3 Likes

Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by dlight1(m): 10:31pm On Apr 15, 2013
Gbawe:

Defend myself against who exactly? When decent folks engage me I will respond. I won't respond to rabid bigots who are only known for their hatred of anything SW here to the extent they are literally always the ones foaming at the mouth, on any issue to do with the SW, over so-called propaganda.
hey Gbawe don't drag us into any tribal conflict here I'm yoruba too but while making arguments you need to be realistic you know what the economic status of your state is like but only trying to put up a defence for that noise makers party who claim to be progressives but are not do you care to know what the performances of your ACN governors are in states like Oyo, Ekiti, Ogun as well only that of Lagos and Edo are really working that is why Ondo state don't find them reliable enough to vote for
Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by EkoIle1: 11:17pm On Apr 15, 2013
kettykings: Osun state has a budget of 183B over a population of 4,137,627 this gives us a figure of 44224.26 spent by the Government per head

Akwa Ibom has a budget of 459.3 over a population of 4,805,451 this gives us a figure of 95587.92 spent per head

Delta state has a budget of over a population 6,710,214 this gives us a figure of 70342.77 spent per head

while

Balyelsa has a population of 1,998,349 which gives us a figure of 142500 spent per head

Looking at the above figure one can not help but wonder how Dr Yemi Kale arrived at this huge joke , I have been to most parts of Osun state , the large towns of Ife, ilesa , Ede and the capital oshogbo and have been to the rapidly developing states of Akwa Ibom ,Delta and Rivers and the difference is very very clear

same this equals good.leadership and.administrative skills? This equals competency?

Talk about upside down logic.
Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by Gbawe: 11:22pm On Apr 15, 2013
d light: hey Gbawe don't drag us into any tribal conflict here I'm yoruba too but while making arguments you need to be realistic you know what the economic status of your state is like but only trying to put up a defence for that noise makers party who claim to be progressives but are not do you care to know what the performances of your ACN governors are in states like Oyo, Ekiti, Ogun as well only that of Lagos and Edo are really working that is why Ondo state don't find them reliable enough to vote for

Look, why is it so difficult for you guys to do facts, statistics and figures? With all due respect, this is what Fashola is talking about in relation to how poor quality education is creating mediocre leaders who cannot lead Nigeria out of the morass she finds herself in.

We are talking about the work Aregbesola has done, validated by the FBS, to deliver tangibles and real economically quantifiable progressive indices that impact poverty (employment, increased State income, diversified economic activities, social pension scheme for the elderly, etc) and you are here mentioning Oyo, Ekiti and Ogun extraneously instead of sticking to the topic under discussion.

If you have anything to say directly in relation to the topic , even if negative, say it with facts and stick to the substantive subject under discussion. Don't use a topic about Osun reducing poverty to entertain your bias with irrelevantly tangential submissions. Deal with the topic exclusively if you can.

The last sentence in bold is ridiculous. Are you suggesting that the ACN can/should depose a performing Governor to prove a point to you about the "reliability" of the ACN? If you are happy with your mortgage/utility provider does that mean a good mortgage/utility company, satisfactorily meeting the needs of many, suddenly becomes discredited because they failed to make you leave your provider to join them? Fashola is far more correct about education than he thinks. The very poor reasoning on this forum, that is the norm rather than the exception, proves the Lagos Governor correct.
Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by EkoIle1: 12:38am On Apr 16, 2013
Nigerian Poverty Profile Report 2010 - NBS

PRESS BRIEFING BY THE STATISTICIAN-GENERAL OF THE FEDERATION/CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, NATIONAL BUREAU OF STATISTICS, DR. YEMI KALE HELD AT THE CONFERENCE ROOM, 5TH FLOOR, NBS HEADQUARTERS, CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT, ABUJA ON MONDAY, 13TH FEBRUARY, 2012.

Relative poverty is defined by reference to the living standards of majority in a given society. In 2004, Nigeria’s relative poverty measurement stood at 54.4%, but increased to 69% (or 112,518,507 Nigerians) in 2010. The North-West and North-East geo-political zones recorded the highest poverty rates in the country with 77.7% and 76.3% respectively in 2010, while the South-West geo-political zone recorded the lowest at 59.1%.
Among States, Sokoto had the highest poverty rate at 86.4% while Niger had the lowest at 43.6% in the year under review.
Nigerian Poverty Profile Report 2010 - NBS

http://www.proshareng.com/news/16302
Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by EkoIle1: 12:39am On Apr 16, 2013
^^^^^^^ What else is new?
Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by badassnigga(m): 1:07am On Apr 16, 2013
obioraop: bad ass nigga if at 21st century u call urself a nigga den its a mental tin and maybe ur fault u talk like a child i stay in osun and i knw the details better dan u

ur ignorance is unrivaled. do urself a favour...put on ur fvking glass, u av no idea what d topic is saying. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by maasoap(m): 6:58am On Apr 16, 2013
kettykings:
if big Budget does not translate to good living then Per Capita Income definitely does
Per capital income is simply total revenue divided by total population. How does it translate into good standard of living? Niger Delta states are supposed to be like Dubai by now (some of them collect allocation that is more than 6 times of what state like Osun collects monthly), yet poverty is the order of the day in Niger Delta wt Bayelsa swimming in debt. Wt corruption, PCI is useles
Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by kettykings: 10:23am On Apr 17, 2013
maasoap: Per capital income is simply total revenue divided by total population. How does it translate into good standard of living? Niger Delta states are supposed to be like Dubai by now (some of them collect allocation that is more than 6 times of what state like Osun collects monthly), yet poverty is the order of the day in Niger Delta wt Bayelsa swimming in debt. Wt corruption, PCI is useles

You still do not get it on what economic basis will a structurally decrepit state like Osun compare to Front line states like Delta , Akwa Ibom and Rivers even in terms of low poverty index, what does OSun state have that makes its citizens better off than Niger Delta states, Niger Delta has more entrepreneur , human capital and Natural resources than any of the south western state
Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by obioraop(m): 11:08am On Apr 17, 2013
u once again u talk like a child, my ignorance u say, i thought u where going to say sumtin substantial bt as i have aways tot u ve no idea wat u re talking abt all u do is read tru the newspapers where as i xperience what dis topic is talking abt on a daily bases
Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by mapet: 12:37pm On Apr 17, 2013
@Kettykings,

I know you're wont to throw textbook stats at us, but you need to pause there. Per capita income is not an absolute and has its flaws, hence cannot be relied upon as them only source in determining poverty level of states. Well that's where the federal bereau of stats differs from your elementatry economics
kettykings:

if big Budget does not translate to good living then Per Capita Income definitely does
Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by mapet: 12:40pm On Apr 17, 2013
Wao!!!!

Are you juvenile in your resonining or plain daft......

so lifting isolated crime stories from articles is your justification of the mainstay of Osun economy.......SMH
kettykings: [size=20pt]Pastor, One Other Arrested With 181 Bags Of Indian Hemp In Osun[/size]

http://www.osundefender.org/?p=78670
http://www.leadership.ng/nga/articles/41983/2012/12/07/pastor_one_other_arrested_181_bags_indian_hemp_osun.html

Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by kettykings: 12:42pm On Apr 17, 2013
mapet: @Kettykings,

I know you're wont to throw textbook stats at us, but you need to pause there. Per capita income is not an absolute and has its flaws, hence cannot be relied upon as them only source in determining poverty level of states. Well that's where the federal bereau of stats differs from your elementatry economics

Thank you very much for the Update , but what factors did NBS use in arriving at these result and how come this result does not tally with other economic indices from CBN and from even wiki
Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by mapet: 1:24pm On Apr 17, 2013
First of wikipedia is not an an academically approved source of information. Wikipedia is an open source information portal, contributed by virtually anybody, subsceptible to flaws and errors and corrected in time

The Federal Bereau of Statistics is the central point of statistical data in any country, even the CBN, and Economists and institution ideally source and validate their data with the realease of the Federal Bereau of Statistics. In my last Academic program, that was the data we relied on for economic analysis.

Number crunching and analysis takes into consideration divers factors, (Save for referring you to the original documents,which will tell you the factors and basis of the data). I think you are doing yourself some academic and intellectual disservice with your blind, bland and camaradarie NL arguments that bears nothing in the scheme of things.

You're better of doing indepth research and whatever the findings, you either live with it or deal with it. If Osun State is the second least poverty state, so what? what trophy did it give you or deny you of? but check some important points, when Osun announced the creation of 40,000 jobs with OYES, that in itself is a strong statement of intent, the multiplier effect of the graduated 40,000 members in creating jobs thru businesses they start are key inputs.

Now why so much venom because it's Osun? for God's sales Niger state came tops, do you fault that as well??

kettykings:

Thank you very much for the Update , but what factors did NBS use in arriving at these result and how come this result does not tally with other economic indices from CBN and from even wiki
Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by chino11(m): 5:18pm On Apr 17, 2013
What does a timid, rural state as oshun has to offer economically? A cooked up data..
Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by EkoIle1: 5:45pm On Apr 17, 2013
chino11: What does a timid, rural state as oshun has to offer economically? A cooked up data..

The fact and stats remains that your village is poverty stricken and Osun is not.
Re: Osun, The Second Best Of The Least Poverty State In Nigeria – FBS by Gbawe: 7:17pm On Apr 17, 2013
mapet: First of wikipedia is not an an academically approved source of information. Wikipedia is an open source information portal, contributed by virtually anybody, subsceptible to flaws and errors and corrected in time

The Federal Bereau of Statistics is the central point of statistical data in any country, even the CBN, and Economists and institution ideally source and validate their data with the realease of the Federal Bereau of Statistics. In my last Academic program, that was the data we relied on for economic analysis.

Number crunching and analysis takes into consideration divers factors, (Save for referring you to the original documents,which will tell you the factors and basis of the data). I think you are doing yourself some academic and intellectual disservice with your blind, bland and camaradarie NL arguments that bears nothing in the scheme of things.

You're better of doing indepth research and whatever the findings, you either live with it or deal with it. If Osun State is the second least poverty state, so what? what trophy did it give you or deny you of? but check some important points, when Osun announced the creation of 40,000 jobs with OYES, that in itself is a strong statement of intent, the multiplier effect of the graduated 40,000 members in creating jobs thru businesses they start are key inputs.

Now why so much venom because it's Osun? for God's sales Niger state came tops, do you fault that as well??

Well-said ojare. Your concluding sentence, in bold, is the 'koko' of the matter as applies to some of these dissenting voices. The point is that these set of rabid 'panadol takers' ,for what should not concern let alone trouble them, can never appreciate the economic theory of things. It is thus pointless to show them that Argebesola followed established and proven templates for poverty reduction.

This is what makes this forum an especially tedious one. Too much emotion, sentiments and flawed interpretation, according to personal bias, and not enough utilisation of facts, statistics and official figures/reality. When Aregbesola was aggressively chasing job provision and increased productivity/efficacy of human resources through training and skill acquisition, these same set of fools laughed and mocked him. Now they cannot understand the simple correlation between what Aregbesola has done and what Osun is currently lauded for. They prefer the empty approach of talking negatively when this only assists them in making greater fools of themselves.

http://www.tutor2u.net/economics/revision-notes/a2-micro-government-policies-towards-poverty.html

No policies to relieve poverty are risk free. Many are highly expensive and their effects often take many years to show through properly. The consensus among the leading academic researchers is that high employment, and a commitment to raise the skills and potential earnings of people towards the bottom of the pay ladder are the most effective and sustainable policies in the long term.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria's New Political Power Map / I Have Known Omisore Since I Was 20years Of Age - VP Namadi Sambo / Please Consider This Before You Vote P.d.p I Mean Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.