Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,949 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:04 AM

Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For (22232 Views)

I Have This Tokunbo Car For Sale On Instalmental Basis / A Tokunbo Toyota Highlander 2008 For Sale / I Need A Tokunbo Car Dealer In Lagos Who Does Financing Through The Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by ATMC(f): 6:08pm On Apr 15, 2013
Anugo m!
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by page9(m): 6:09pm On Apr 15, 2013
@Blackmann

It's called "Thermostat"
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by redsquare(m): 6:15pm On Apr 15, 2013
Thanks for this timely piece. I just noticed the CHECK light showing on my dashboard. The car is just a 3weeks old 2001 Toyota Camry. Pls what does it mean? I know something is definetely wrong but i cant say what it is since i dont know much yet about cars.
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by andresia(m): 6:34pm On Apr 15, 2013
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by Regiblinkz(m): 6:37pm On Apr 15, 2013
Finally something I like on the front page
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by yek: 6:39pm On Apr 15, 2013
Akpa ife: Wht abt plane?

iti boribo grin grin grin
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by toptop: 6:48pm On Apr 15, 2013
automedics: The following are the very important things that must be rigourously observed when you presumably an average person without any form of technical automotive knowledge wants to buy an automobile.

1.Don't let the aesthetic,that's the shimmering or sexy look of the car fool you. Usually, vehicles prepared for sale are deliberately burnished to glimmer.

2.Be very observant, immediately you turn the key on(just simply by turning the key one stroke, no cranking sound yet and the engine isn't working yet), make sure that all the images on the dashboard are lighted up. Why? Some Smart Alec car sellers sometimes remove or tape over the bulbs, inside the dashboard, of the warning signs.

3. As soon as the engine is cranked within a few seconds, it must not be up to a minute, the entire dashboard signs' lights must go off.

4. If you notice the CHECK ENGINE light going off simultaneously with the ALTERNATOR light and/or the OIL PRESSURE,then something is wrong.
5.Once the engine has been cranked and is running at idle, the person/s in the vehicle must not feel any discernible vibration. If you feel any form of vibration, it's either bad engine mounts/s, or bad transmission mount or the engine is misfiring.
6. If the vehicle has an automatic transmission system,simply engage the gear with your foot firmly on the brake pedal, you must not feel any sudden shudder or jerking. It should be a smooth engagement with the vehicle simply trying to move in the direction("grin" forward and "R" backward) of the gear engaged.
7. If all the above observations have been satisfactorily met, while the vehicle's still running smoothly in idle, put on the AC(air conditioner). The needle on (or counter of) the RPM guage must still remain at the same position, allowing for maximum of fifty, over or below(not up to a movement between two stroke marks of the RPM guage). This is a good load test on the engine.
8.Before you make any payment for, or on, the vehicle: look through the lower region of the automobile's windscreen, literally in front of the steering wheel, or on the door frame of the driver's side, for the 17-digit VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)log on to http://www.carfax.com/, to get the vehicle history( service,ownership;incident-like accident/s etc).
If you are happy with the report and all observational and physical test explained above, satisfied, you can then pay for the car.
]http://automedicsafrica.com/new/?p=816
Follow us on twitter @automedicsnig
Thanks
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by tit(f): 6:49pm On Apr 15, 2013
redsquare: Thanks for this timely piece. I just noticed the CHECK light showing on my dashboard. The car is just a 3weeks old 2001 Toyota Camry. Pls what does it mean? I know something is definetely wrong but i cant say what it is since i dont know much yet about cars.
it could be a thousand and one things.
it could be the air intake sensors.
it could be the exhaust sensors.
it could be the catalytic converter.
I had that check engine light (cel) on my 2002 Toyota sienna.
it turned out to be the charcoal canister. about $500 repairs.
you need to (get mechanic who can) run diagnostics on the car.
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by blackmann(m): 6:53pm On Apr 15, 2013
page9: @Blackmann

It's called "Thermostat"

Gracias. The darn name escaped my mind.
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by almaliki: 6:58pm On Apr 15, 2013
blackmann:

Usually on CARFAX you pay to have your vehicle reports given to you.

One more thing to add to the OP's post. Once you've satisfied yourself and have made your purchase, take the car to a very repuitable mechanic to have it thoroughly checked out. And there is a component that most mechanics say has to be removed that reduces the temprature of the engine(i've forgotten the name. Any of you guys can help me out here). this component usually makes the engine fan kick in once the engine gets hot. PLEASE DO NOT AGREE TO THIS. This component has been programmed to make the fan kick in when the engine gets too hot. If it is disabled, the fan will just continue to blow and this will put alot of stress on the engine of the car. Those that manufactured the car know why they put it there in the first place. At least we as humans will not put on an AC when the weather is very cold, will we?

I guess u talking about the thermostat.....anyway its major function is 2 regulate d heating system in d car...basically 4 temperate regions.....but in tropical regions like nigeria....d thermostat might be d root cause of overheating in car....dats why most mechanics always advise that it should be removed......had it removed in my car and not given any troubles so far....3yrs running....!
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by NLGwoodey: 7:14pm On Apr 15, 2013
It is one of those yahoo articles. OP, please credit your source appropriately.

The writer is generally clueless about buying used cars. CHECK ENGINE light is the
best haggling trick out there. Most often than not, it is something $20 will fix.

CARFAX or VIN reports give only information reported such as maintenance record in
major mechanic workshops, accidents(if reported), flooding(if reported), etc. If the
previous owner is a cheapskate that used side mechanics or a do-it-yourselfer, then
goodluck relying on CARFAX report. Most importantly, most Nigerian buyers do not
even know how to get the carfax report. Can a typical Nigerian buyer even know if the
carfax report is doctored?

By the way, if the engine is not idling well, check if the car is omitting white smoke from the
exhaust. Remove the oil cap and check under the cap. If you see any white crud or smear, step
away from the vehicle.

With the car running, remove the battery terminal connector. Does the car stall? If yes, alternator wahala.

Check for leakages---engine oil, transmission oil or water.

I can go on and on, but there are at least 20 things you need to check before paying for the car.
Some of them are not big deals, just to get a better price. While some are just plain deal breakers!

1 Like

Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by NLGwoodey: 7:17pm On Apr 15, 2013
almaliki:

I guess u talking about the thermostat.....anyway its major function is 2 regulate d heating system in d car...basically 4 temperate regions.....but in tropical regions like nigeria....d thermostat might be d root cause of overheating in car....dats why most mechanics always advise that it should be removed......had it removed in my car and not given any troubles so far....3yrs running....!

DO NOT REMOVE THE THERMOSTAT from your vehicle. If it is faulty, replace it.

OLDER cars may handle it, but all these newer cars will make you pay for that costly mistake
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by redcliff: 7:21pm On Apr 15, 2013
[size=14pt]Automedics finally on nl.here you have it people. The likes of siena finally in lagos. Totally recommend them for your car troubles. (dont say i dint tell you). They are steep[/size]
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by femi4: 7:45pm On Apr 15, 2013
NLG_woodey:

It is one of those yahoo articles. OP, please credit your source appropriately.

The writer is generally clueless about buying used cars. CHECK ENGINE light is the
best haggling trick out there. Most often than not, it is something $20 will fix.

And why will I want to buy a tokunbo car that has CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON, when other cars are available without any warning light ON

CARFAX or VIN reports give only information reported such as maintenance record in
major mechanic workshops, accidents(if reported), flooding(if reported), etc. If the
previous owner is a cheapskate that used side mechanics or a do-it-yourselfer, then
goodluck relying on CARFAX report. Most importantly, most Nigerian buyers do not
even know how to get the carfax report. Can a typical Nigerian buyer even know if the
carfax report is doctored?

FYI, Tokunbo cars refers to used vehicles brought to Nigeria road for the first time and not Nigeria used vehicles, hence VIN check is important

By the way, if the engine is not idling well, check if the car is omitting white smoke from the
exhaust. Remove the oil cap and check under the cap. If you see any white crud or smear, step
away from the vehicle.

You make sense here

With the car running, remove the battery terminal connector. Does the car stall? If yes, alternator wahala.

Check for leakages---engine oil, transmission oil or water.

I can go on and on, but there are at least 20 things you need to check before paying for the car.
Some of them are not big deals, just to get a better price. While some are just plain deal breakers!

If you know at least 20 things, we ll be waiting for you to open a thread on it instead of using your energy in PHD syndrome
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by Pelycan: 7:59pm On Apr 15, 2013
redcliff: [size=14pt]Automedics finally on nl.here you have it people. The likes of siena finally in lagos. Totally recommend them for your car troubles. (dont say i dint tell you). They are steep[/size]

Automedics? I think its generally a trial and error thing. Got recommendations about them and went to their workshop in Lagos when my car had hard-starting issues, a 2005 corolla. It was worked on (after scanning) , I spent money and the problem persisted. Apparently the cause wasn't addressed or someone didn't want to look inefficient. It was a roadside mechanic that eventually solved it for a fraction of cash. And its been free of problems ever since. Think of all I spent with the former undecided
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by waleadex(m): 8:13pm On Apr 15, 2013
blackmann:

One more thing to add to the OP's post. Once you've satisfied yourself and have made your purchase, take the car to a very repuitable mechanic to have it thoroughly checked out. And there is a component that most mechanics say has to be removed that reduces the temprature of the engine(i've forgotten the name. Any of you guys can help me out here). this component usually makes the engine fan kick in once the engine gets hot. PLEASE DO NOT AGREE TO THIS. This component has been programmed to make the fan kick in when the engine gets too hot. If it is disabled, the fan will just continue to blow and this will put alot of stress on the engine of the car. Those that manufactured the car know why they put it there in the first place. At least we as humans will not put on an AC when the weather is very cold, will we?

"Thermostat"
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by segebobo: 8:14pm On Apr 15, 2013
blackmann:

They call it thermostat
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by StepG: 8:20pm On Apr 15, 2013
automedics: The following are the very important things that must be rigourously observed when you presumably an average person without any form of technical automotive knowledge wants to buy an automobile.

1.Don't let the aesthetic,that's the shimmering or sexy look of the car fool you. Usually, vehicles prepared for sale are deliberately burnished to glimmer.

2.Be very observant, immediately you turn the key on(just simply by turning the key one stroke, no cranking sound yet and the engine isn't working yet), make sure that all the images on the dashboard are lighted up. Why? Some Smart Alec car sellers sometimes remove or tape over the bulbs, inside the dashboard, of the warning signs.

3. As soon as the engine is cranked within a few seconds, it must not be up to a minute, the entire dashboard signs' lights must go off.

4. If you notice the CHECK ENGINE light going off simultaneously with the ALTERNATOR light and/or the OIL PRESSURE,then something is wrong.
5.Once the engine has been cranked and is running at idle, the person/s in the vehicle must not feel any discernible vibration. If you feel any form of vibration, it's either bad engine mounts/s, or bad transmission mount or the engine is misfiring.
6. If the vehicle has an automatic transmission system,simply engage the gear with your foot firmly on the brake pedal, you must not feel any sudden shudder or jerking. It should be a smooth engagement with the vehicle simply trying to move in the direction("grin" forward and "R" backward) of the gear engaged.
7. If all the above observations have been satisfactorily met, while the vehicle's still running smoothly in idle, put on the AC(air conditioner). The needle on (or counter of) the RPM guage must still remain at the same position, allowing for maximum of fifty, over or below(not up to a movement between two stroke marks of the RPM guage). This is a good load test on the engine.
8.Before you make any payment for, or on, the vehicle: look through the lower region of the automobile's windscreen, literally in front of the steering wheel, or on the door frame of the driver's side, for the 17-digit VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)log on to http://www.carfax.com/, to get the vehicle history( service,ownership;incident-like accident/s etc).
If you are happy with the report and all observational and physical test explained above, satisfied, you can then pay for the car.
]http://automedicsafrica.com/new/?p=816
Follow us on twitter @automedicsnig
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by StepG: 8:22pm On Apr 15, 2013
metamorphus11: korrect post tanx
but does this apply in Nigeria too? the 17-digit VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)log on to carfact.com, to get the vehicle history"...
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by StepG: 8:24pm On Apr 15, 2013
chubby-tee:
8.Before you make any payment for, or on, the vehicle: look through the lower region of the automobile's windscreen, literally in front of the steering wheel, or on the door frame of the driver's side, for the 17-digit VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)log on to carfact.com, to get the vehicle history( service,ownership;incident-like accident/s etc).

This is a nice post, i really enjoyed it. However, I tend to go against para 8.
Do I hear why? I'll tell you....
In this part of the world, we don't keep effective and detailed records of repairs
and pimping carried out on vehicles.
once again, your no.1 to 7, very accurate and impressive. grin grin grin
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by StepG: 8:26pm On Apr 15, 2013
samm_miey: You will be charged when you log on to carfact.com 4any info on ur car,its suppose 2b free.
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by StepG: 8:27pm On Apr 15, 2013
blackmann:

Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by Aeman(m): 8:28pm On Apr 15, 2013
wawa kawai
Akpa ife: Wht abt plane?
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by raphroye: 8:30pm On Apr 15, 2013
[quote author=lanetrips]Hi,pls wat causes the sudden shudder/jerking.regards..[/quote
if the engine sit rubber is not in good condition
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by IdeyVex1(m): 8:32pm On Apr 15, 2013
1. Please do not ever allow ur mechanic to remove your thermostat. The thermostat is not a reason for overheating. I allowed my mechanic remove mine and it was as if I murdered sleep. Had no peace until I sold the car!
@OP: nice post. Thinking of getting anoda brand new tokunbo and this will really come in handy
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by Nicepoker(m): 8:32pm On Apr 15, 2013
lanetrips: Hi,pls wat causes the sudden shudder/jerking.regards..
for jerking check fuel line.
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by Fajzay: 8:49pm On Apr 15, 2013
chygoz3: Interesting piece of information. So if I check my father's car's VIN, I should be able to know who the car belonged to?

Mumu!! hehe
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by Fajzay: 8:54pm On Apr 15, 2013
chubby-tee:
8.Before you make any payment for, or on, the vehicle: look through the lower region of the automobile's windscreen, literally in front of the steering wheel, or on the door frame of the driver's side, for the 17-digit VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)log on to carfact.com, to get the vehicle history( service,ownership;incident-like accident/s etc).

This is a nice post, i really enjoyed it. However, I tend to go against para 8.
Do I hear why? I'll tell you....
In this part of the world, we don't keep effective and detailed records of repairs
and pimping carried out on vehicles.
once again, your no.1 to 7, very accurate and impressive. grin grin grin

The OP was referring to a tokunbo vehicle which most times has its sevice records updated accordingly if the previous owner goes to authorized autoshops and not just any wannabe workshop. As for me, once I dont see a detailed and trustworthy history on the car i aim to purchase on carfax, I just click next
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by Fajzay: 8:55pm On Apr 15, 2013
samm_miey: @op I logged on 2carfax.com,it only states my car has 25 history records and nothing more.where do I get to view d records?

Nothing comes for free my friend. U have to pay for it. Most times around $20 o $40 if u are paying for multiple access
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by Fajzay: 9:06pm On Apr 15, 2013
tit:
it could be a thousand and one things.
it could be the air intake sensors.
it could be the exhaust sensors.
it could be the catalytic converter.
I had that check engine light (cel) on my 2002 Toyota sienna.
it turned out to be the charcoal canister. about $500 repairs.
you need to (get mechanic who can) run diagnostics on the car.

Sometimes its due to bad fuel as well. Lots of adulterated fuel in this country. Even outside Naija sef, e dey
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by automedics: 9:20pm On Apr 15, 2013
Yes Automedics is finally on Nairaland and we will try as much as possible to post factual car care/repair tips daily, we will like to state that the write up Was written by Messer Kunle Shonaike of Automedics Limited, we at Automedics always acknowledge the rightful source of stories and give their due credit to them, so this particular piece does not belong to Yahoo but to Automedics. And most of the piece you will be reading here as a matter of fact will be ones the Automedics crew have put together. We will also like to state that we will only use our daily post as a source of enlightenment, so if you have questions please send us an email at :info@automedicsafrica.com or via our twitter handle@automedicsnig.
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by Nobody: 9:47pm On Apr 15, 2013
well i'm less concerned wit tokunbo.....because na tear rubber i go buy.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2021model Mercedes Benz Maybach GLS 600 Fullest Option Brand New / 2017 Model Benz C300 Toks Fully Loaded Good Deal / Buy A Car Based On Ur Budget,model,brand N Specs(used/reg.)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.