Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,957 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:48 AM

Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For - Autos (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For (22233 Views)

I Have This Tokunbo Car For Sale On Instalmental Basis / A Tokunbo Toyota Highlander 2008 For Sale / I Need A Tokunbo Car Dealer In Lagos Who Does Financing Through The Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by FXKing2012(m): 10:14pm On Apr 15, 2013
automedics: The following are the very important things that must be rigourously observed when you presumably an average person without any form of technical automotive knowledge wants to buy an automobile.

1.Don't let the aesthetic,that's the shimmering or sexy look of the car fool you. Usually, vehicles prepared for sale are deliberately burnished to glimmer.

2.Be very observant, immediately you turn the key on(just simply by turning the key one stroke, no cranking sound yet and the engine isn't working yet), make sure that all the images on the dashboard are lighted up. Why? Some Smart Alec car sellers sometimes remove or tape over the bulbs, inside the dashboard, of the warning signs.

3. As soon as the engine is cranked within a few seconds, it must not be up to a minute, the entire dashboard signs' lights must go off.

4. If you notice the CHECK ENGINE light going off simultaneously with the ALTERNATOR light and/or the OIL PRESSURE,then something is wrong.
5.Once the engine has been cranked and is running at idle, the person/s in the vehicle must not feel any discernible vibration. If you feel any form of vibration, it's either bad engine mounts/s, or bad transmission mount or the engine is misfiring.
6. If the vehicle has an automatic transmission system,simply engage the gear with your foot firmly on the brake pedal, you must not feel any sudden shudder or jerking. It should be a smooth engagement with the vehicle simply trying to move in the direction("grin" forward and "R" backward) of the gear engaged.
7. If all the above observations have been satisfactorily met, while the vehicle's still running smoothly in idle, put on the AC(air conditioner). The needle on (or counter of) the RPM guage must still remain at the same position, allowing for maximum of fifty, over or below(not up to a movement between two stroke marks of the RPM guage). This is a good load test on the engine.
8.Before you make any payment for, or on, the vehicle: look through the lower region of the automobile's windscreen, literally in front of the steering wheel, or on the door frame of the driver's side, for the 17-digit VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)log on to http://www.carfax.com/, to get the vehicle history( service,ownership;incident-like accident/s etc).
If you are happy with the report and all observational and physical test explained above, satisfied, you can then pay for the car.
]http://automedicsafrica.com/new/?p=816
Follow us on twitter @automedicsnig
Awesome
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by lanetrips: 11:33pm On Apr 15, 2013
Nicepoker: for jerking check fuel line.
Thanks
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by Venchy: 11:59pm On Apr 15, 2013
Good job buddy.
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by peace3: 12:36am On Apr 16, 2013
Akpa ife: Wht abt plane?
U BE MONKEY ABI?
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by saintjoel(m): 7:24am On Apr 16, 2013
okpara ugo: Story! Carry an experienced mechanic to see the car if possible two different mechanics at two different dates.

Give them food, them go tell you car wey still dey bam. Then dont buy a car on the first day you visit a car shop. Check the car several times.

There is also a way of knowing stolen cars, from a tampered chasis number below the windscreen or on the driver's door.

Never put all your trust in Nigerian mechanics,we as dealers have always had issues with mechanics.Many of them alwways have ultrior motives,it's either they come up with flimsy excuses so that they can take the buyer to where they can buy cars for him at profit or the tell the dealer to bribe them so they can tell the buyer he's buying a good car.
I once had an issue with one,because I refused to give him 50k,he took my customer to festac to buy a sienna only for the customer to start calling me like three days later because the money spent in his workshop was too much and they wanted my sienna,which I had already sold.

1 Like

Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by Nobody: 8:26am On Apr 16, 2013
Good Job my brother
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by DMiTy(m): 10:28am On Apr 16, 2013
Why not go for a new car instead of all this check check...abi u expect tocumbor to be chachis?
Na wah oh.
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by Jenniesakuzi(f): 11:24am On Apr 16, 2013
Thanks for the post, appreciate neh. smileyThanks for the post, appreciate neh.
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by henry247(m): 12:06pm On Apr 16, 2013
QUITE COMMENDABLE
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by destriker(m): 12:34pm On Apr 16, 2013
Nice post man. Giv us more pls.
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by EMMABESTCONCEPT: 6:13pm On Apr 16, 2013
to me
tokumbo car is very better than this tear-rubber car because i do drive it and i know the durability of it
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by ayobase(m): 9:26pm On Apr 16, 2013
I love the 8th point most!
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by omokhose: 10:22pm On Apr 16, 2013
I hv a 2001 civic.d car vibrates web ever I put on d ac.or engage d gear.could it be d injector or d slow?
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by Smalles: 12:03am On Apr 17, 2013
Check under the car for any oil leakage from the engine and by the driving shaft for grease spills and test drive the car to take note of how smooth the drive and transmission is.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2021model Mercedes Benz Maybach GLS 600 Fullest Option Brand New / 2017 Model Benz C300 Toks Fully Loaded Good Deal / Buy A Car Based On Ur Budget,model,brand N Specs(used/reg.)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.