Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,963 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:21 AM

Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram (8167 Views)

Amnesty Committee Meets Boko-Haram In Kaduna / Kabiru Sokoto Didn't Meet Amnesty Committee Members / Buhari Commends Jonathan On Boko-Haram Amnesty Committee (2) (3) (4)

Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by morgist(m): 3:19pm On Apr 17, 2013
President Goodluck Jonathan has approved the constitution of a Presidential Committee to “constructively engage key members of Boko Haram and define a comprehensive and workable framework for resolving the crisis of insecurity in the country.”

Announcing the setting up of the committee, a statement by Dr Reuben Abati, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity stated that the committee’s terms of reference will include:

-Developing a framework for the granting of amnesty

-Setting up of a framework through which disarmament could take place within a 60-day time frame

-Development of a comprehensive victims’ support programme

-Development of mechanisms to address the underlying causes of insurgencies that will help to prevent future occurrences.

The committee is made up of the following Nigerians:

Committee on dialogue and peaceful resolution of security challenges in the north

1.Kabiru Tanimu Turaki, Minister of Special Duties - Chairman

2.Sheik Ahmed Lemu - Member

3.Dr. Hakeem Baba Ahmed - Member

4.Col. Musa Shehu, (rtd.) - Member

5.Sheik Abubakar Tureta - Member

6.Dr.Datti Ahmed - Member

7.Senator Sodangi Abubakar - Member

8.Senator Ahmed Makarfi - Member

9.Hon. Mohammed Bello Matawalle - Member

10.Amb. Zakari Ibrahim - Member

11.Comrade Shehu Sani - Member

12.Hajiya Naja’atu Mohammed - Member

13.Mallam Adamu S. Ladan - Member

14.Dr. Joseph Golwa - Member

15.AVM A. I. Shehu - Member

16.Mr. R. I. Nkemdirim - Member

17.DIG P. I. Leha - Member

18.Prof. Nur Alkali - Member

19.Malam Salihu Abubakar - Member

20.Alhaji Abubakar Sani Lugga - Member

21.Barrister Ibrahim Tahir - Member

22.Brig-Gen. Ibrahim Sabo - Member

23.Amb. Baba Ahmed Jidda - Member

24.Group Capt. Bilal Bulama,Rtd. - Member

25.Prof. Bolaji Akinyemi - Member

26.Representative of OSGF - Secretary

The setting up of the committee is coming after the National Security Council on Wednesday, considered a report by the technical committee it set up to review modalities for addressing security challenges in the north.

President Jonathan also approved the constitution of a Federal Government committee on the Proliferation of Small Arms and Light Weapons in keeping with his pledge that Nigeria will work with the United Nations and other countries to stem the worrisome proliferation of small arms and light weapons, and their use in creating insecurity and instability in Nigeria and other developing nations.

Members of the Committee on small arms and light weapons are

1. Amb. Emmanuel Imohe -(Chairman)

2. Amb. Martin I. Uhomoibhi -Member

3. Amb. T. D. Hart -Member

4. Amb.Ghali Umar -Member

5. Amb. B.G. Wakil -Member

6. Mr. Opelusi Olureti -Member

7. Representative of Ministry of Interior -Member

8. Representative of NSA -Member

9. Representative of DG (SSS) -Member

10. Representative of NIA -Member

11. Representative of Federal Ministry of Justice -Member

12. Representative of Ministry of Defence -Member

13. Representative of DIA -Member

14. Representative of the Nigeria Police Force -Member

15. Representative of the Nigerian Customs Service -Member

16. Representative of OSGF -Member

17. Director, International Organisations Dept (MFA) -Secretary

Both committees will be formally inaugurated by President Jonathan by 10 AM on Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at the Council Chambers of the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

source: http://www.newswatch24.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=714:jonathan-sets-up-committee-on-granting-amnesty-to-boko-haram&Itemid=581
Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by immortalvoices(m): 3:28pm On Apr 17, 2013
Wait please is it me or am seen things... These names look like the dreaded sect leaders names that was said to be among government officials

Hmmm maybe my hunches but the last time I ignored it, it turns out to be true

And please allow me to eradicate that nonsense
called "first to comment"

Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by otokx(m): 3:35pm On Apr 17, 2013
the business of committee

Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by afrobaby(f): 3:40pm On Apr 17, 2013
Thought this was a joke, is the government seriously thinking of granting amnesty to boko haram members?
Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by kokoye(m): 4:03pm On Apr 17, 2013
At least he's good at setting up committees..

give him his props smiley

*last to comment*
Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by Nobody: 4:03pm On Apr 17, 2013
Another failed project

Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by Nobody: 4:04pm On Apr 17, 2013
Bonkers!
Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by Nobody: 4:05pm On Apr 17, 2013
The same Comrade Shehu Sani that has been moving from pillar to post destructively criticising the president?

Anyway, this is more like job for the boys. If giving these guys some job to do and giving amnesty to Boko haram will bring PEACE and allow our brothers and sisters in the north to go about their normal businesses, nothing spoil.
Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by Nobody: 4:06pm On Apr 17, 2013
Nonsense...just hoping that all these nonsense can stop..no south eastern or south western in the scheme/committee.
Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by Nobody: 4:06pm On Apr 17, 2013
Very soon another commitee will be formed to review the outcome of this present commitee. Senseless retardeen

Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by Akpaife(m): 4:06pm On Apr 17, 2013
I dnt wat FG 2 grant amnesty 2 boko harm let Govt use force 2 demolish boko harm clik like if my suggestion is good

Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by hrmkz: 4:08pm On Apr 17, 2013
committwee again!!!
Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by alnaijiri(m): 4:09pm On Apr 17, 2013
Unfortunately, even an amnesty like the one offered to the Niger delta militants will do little good here up North. The grievances of the North for complete autonomy and Sharia governance and jurisprudence, and freedom from Southern economic dominance will not be heard in this amnesty. The amnesty may be a political ploy with short term benefits, but it will not guarantee long-term stability in the North.

Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by Akpaife(m): 4:10pm On Apr 17, 2013
No amnesty 4 boko boys clik like if u r wt me

Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by eagleeye2: 4:10pm On Apr 17, 2013
Boko don't want ammesty.
Abia Criminals want amnesty.

Why FG just give to those that want, and let everyone go home happy.
Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by Akshow: 4:11pm On Apr 17, 2013
Can some pls tell this Otutueke baboon to stop embarrassin himself. You insist on amnesty them say them no want you wan force them? I no blame you Sha. When all the millions Una de budget for security no yield any dividends. Formin one committee After the other. Shameless Anuofia

Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by Nobody: 4:14pm On Apr 17, 2013

Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by kneatswan: 4:15pm On Apr 17, 2013
more illution
Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by sammmiey1: 4:19pm On Apr 17, 2013
See as em plenty,dose who dey chop naija money&im sure nah juz 1 in 100 be dis?
Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by Nobody: 4:19pm On Apr 17, 2013
Finally, it has been proven beyond doubt that the only language the government listen to is violence. It is time the unemployed graduates take up arms against the government, that is the only way the government can approve their monthly stipend.

Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by barikay: 4:21pm On Apr 17, 2013
Is this a joke or what? Granting what to terrorist?
Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by barikay: 4:21pm On Apr 17, 2013
Is this a joke or what? Granting what to terrorists?
Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by Super1759: 4:22pm On Apr 17, 2013
*smh, whistling-"nigeria we hail thee...."

did anybody notice that the committee are all northerners..something fishy
Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by Nobody: 4:23pm On Apr 17, 2013
@sincere9gerian,
Try to get ur head out of d dark place u've bn kissing 4 a while. U granted MEND amnesty, u want to grant BOKO amnesty and evn kidnappers now wsnt amnesty.
MORAL OF STORY:
Wht u r doing is an abberation. Its nt amnesty. U r actually rewarding criminals and by so doing cannot eradicate crime. Amnesty is replacing one problem with a worse one

Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by caustical: 4:23pm On Apr 17, 2013
Committee to chop chop money

Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by watchindelta(m): 4:24pm On Apr 17, 2013
yeye government undecided angry wit oly thief brain angry
Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by Jesuspikin87(m): 4:24pm On Apr 17, 2013
Committee Government.

Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by ksusi: 4:25pm On Apr 17, 2013
GEJ should bring out the names of those BH boys in his government before granting amnesty,if he is a man of his word so that Nigerians will respect him and believe in his statement.
Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by Nobody: 4:25pm On Apr 17, 2013
A complete waste of time. Understand the nature of Islam. No society can live in peace with a sizable population of muslims within it. I fear this menace will be with us for a very very long time.

Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by Abok1(m): 4:28pm On Apr 17, 2013

I m trying so hard not to conclude that the president doesn't have a good advisory team. The sensible thing to do would have been establishing contacts withy the Boko haram guys, then identifying their leaders. Then the next phase should be knowing what their demands are then negotiating with them before making it public.

Not the way he's going about it, because it is appalling that the presidency would act without proper coordination and calculated attempts. The Boko boys have stated that they are not interested in amnesty, I'm wondering what we are still doing setting up committee after committee for no relevant reason.

Re: Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram by Nobody: 4:31pm On Apr 17, 2013
Okay! I have my eyes closed right now. I am not watching this happening. Not too long after granting State pardon to infamous criminals!

NIS Arrests 400 Illegal Immigrants, Set To Repatriate 150 Nigeriens In Kano / See Reactions As Obasanjo Prostrates For An Oba With His White Agbada (Pix) / Oba Of Lagos Chased Out Of Palace, his staff of office has been taken