Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,302 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:30 AM

Why Many Nigerian Women End Up As Housewives? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Many Nigerian Women End Up As Housewives? (2601 Views)

Nine Reasons Why Some African Ladies End Up Single For Life / Helping Most Nigerian Women End In Drama: Why? / The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Many Nigerian Women End Up As Housewives? by cowgurl: 12:33pm On Apr 19, 2013
Am pretty much aware this topic has been abused, overflogged, battered and stripped in this section but after reading this piece, I just couldn't help not pasting this to get views, argumentatively or otherwise!

[b][size=13pt]Why Many Nigerian Women End Up As House Wives
Posted by: susan on April 19, 2013

In case you haven’t observed it yet, 85% of “career eligible’’ married women are house wives in Nigeria. I mean educated young women between 25 – 35 years of age. These are women who have spent the better parts of their lives struggling to obtain a degree only to be bagged down as “redundant assets” simply because their marital status reads : “Married”. Outrageous isn’t ¬?

You may ask about the likes of Dora Akunliyi and other prominent Nigerian women in important offices all over the country?
My answer would be: Do you know when they got their first offices to be where they are now? They were amongst the women opportuned to gain directly from all those campaigns about: “Women rights”.

Presently, women are accepted to pursue any career of their dream in Nigeria but the quest is 10 times more difficult for a woman that has married tagged on her fore-head.
I must assume that most “relevant” companies in Nigeria has conspired to delete as many married female applicants as possible!

There are several cases of women who have been denied jobs once they mention they are married. This is a recent case I was witness to. A friend of mine and I saw a vacancy post for Nestle Graduate Trainee 2013, some months earlier. We went to the same internet café and logged in to apply. I finished filling and submitting my form within minutes. My friend on the other hand hit the submit b*tton endlessly and nothing happened!
On impulse I changed her marital status to single and hit the b*tton. Viola! The form was submitted in seconds!

Now is this a co-incidence or a conspiracy at work? What do you think?
posted by Susan.[/size][/b]

1 Like

Re: Why Many Nigerian Women End Up As Housewives? by butta(m): 12:44pm On Apr 19, 2013
Your are right cowgurl there is a conspiracy against married women in Nigerias corporate sector of today I think most companies prefer single ladies with the reason best known to them . Of what use is your degree if at the day a woman ends up in a mans house as a house wife ?
Re: Why Many Nigerian Women End Up As Housewives? by Lilimax(f): 1:22pm On Apr 19, 2013
In the company where I work, we have more married women then unmarried ones. Although, most of us were employed as single ladies before getting married. We were not sacked after getting married. Our marital status does not affect our productivity at work. The management ended up building a creche for the staffs who may wish to bring their little ones to the office.
Re: Why Many Nigerian Women End Up As Housewives? by greatgod2012(f): 2:21pm On Apr 19, 2013
Lilimax: In the company where I work, we have more married women then unmarried ones. Although, most of us were employed as single ladies before getting married. We were not sacked after getting married. Our marital status does not affect our productivity at work. The management ended up building a creche for the staffs who may wish to bring their little ones to the office.

and this is what should be done in every organisation to encourage married women, but unfortunately, its not so, so, what most of these married women do is to set up business and manage it, since they wont want to be a full time housewife, in order not to be relevant in the family and society at large..
Well, may God help us as a country,
Re: Why Many Nigerian Women End Up As Housewives? by onila(f): 2:40pm On Apr 19, 2013
i like it that way

trophy girls 4 lyfe!
Re: Why Many Nigerian Women End Up As Housewives? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Apr 19, 2013
butta: Your are right cowgurl there is a conspiracy against married women in Nigerias corporate sector of today I think most companies prefer single ladies with the reason best known to them . Of what use is your degree if at the day a woman ends up in a mans house as a house wife ?
i worked in a corporate firm before and the reason why married women are denied employment in corporate firms is because there is an informal or unwritten policy that married women are inefficient,always have excuses why they came late to work e.g marital issues or my kid is sick i had to rush him to the hospital.their minds and concentration is not on what they do.they are the ones that will request for maternal leave and if they are not granted,they tag the chairman or board of directors as wicked/insensitive and they are always like sebi he is married,is that how his wife is treated etc.however a single lady has no responsibility,no my child is sick,thats why i couldnt come to work early,no slobby dressing,no unsmart aura befitting of a corporate firm,however,unmarried ladies within the age bracket of 21-25 or 26 are smart,ready to work,no excuses of my husband said i must do this before i go to office etc associated with married women so i dont blame them.moreover it is a profit based company so anything or anyone that will not make them make their profit or cause unneccessary hinderances will not be employed.
Re: Why Many Nigerian Women End Up As Housewives? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Apr 19, 2013
greatgod2012:

and this is what should be done in every organisation to encourage married women, but unfortunately, its not so, so, what most of these married women do is to set up business and manage it, since they wont want to be a full time housewife, in order not to be relevant in the family and society at large..
Well, may God help us as a country,
unfortunatly many ceo's dont think that way.they are more selfishly inclined.they see that as a waste of money and resources including distractions from the company's goals
Re: Why Many Nigerian Women End Up As Housewives? by cowgurl: 4:06pm On Apr 19, 2013
In my department, there is this married-nursing lady with us who is often being scolded at by our boss - everyday she comes to work she does nada cos she's always busy taking care of her child and even when she does decides to come with her help, no adequate space in the office to contain them.
I see all this on a regular basis and it frightens me, truth be told.

Lilimax: In the company where I work, we have more married women then unmarried ones. Although, most of us were employed as single ladies before getting married. We were not sacked after getting married. Our marital status does not affect our productivity at work.

Nice research topic.

The management ended up building a creche for the staffs who may wish to bring their little ones to the office

Nice motivational strategy, I support.

@butta, I see you.

1 Like

Re: Why Many Nigerian Women End Up As Housewives? by pheyikemi: 4:52pm On Apr 19, 2013
Naturally, when u ask some single ladies wot they want afta marriage, they'll tell u they prefer being full housewives to working, saying they need enof time to take kia'f their kids and husband, so wot do u all say abt dat?
Re: Why Many Nigerian Women End Up As Housewives? by cowgurl: 11:30pm On Apr 19, 2013
^ Sorry, you skipped this important bit in your narration - about the would-be husby being an investing president, governor, senator, a wealthy entrepreneur etc.. cos it's only on this quality I'll be supporting the last part of your statement.

Secondly, am glad you said some single ladies said that cos most single ladies I know, on the contrary would rather be single and be happily successful than to be home taking care of husby and kids.

1 Like

Re: Why Many Nigerian Women End Up As Housewives? by Nobody: 8:06am On Apr 20, 2013
kulyie: i worked in a corporate firm before and the reason why married women are denied employment in corporate firms is because there is an informal or unwritten policy that married women are inefficient,always have excuses why they came late to work e.g marital issues or my kid is sick i had to rush him to the hospital.their minds and concentration is not on what they do.they are the ones that will request for maternal leave and if they are not granted,they tag the chairman or board of directors as wicked/insensitive and they are always like sebi he is married,is that how his wife is treated etc.however a single lady has no responsibility,no my child is sick,thats why i couldnt come to work early,no slobby dressing,no unsmart aura befitting of a corporate firm,however,unmarried ladies within the age bracket of 21-25 or 26 are smart,ready to work,no excuses of my husband said i must do this before i go to office etc associated with married women so i dont blame them.moreover it is a profit based company so anything or anyone that will not make them make their profit or cause unneccessary hinderances will not be employed.
The reasons you give here are very unfair. I think its high time men also start sharing in the responsibility of taking care of the children that we both produced. The truth is that if we font take good care of them, men will be the first to point accusing fingers that we are neglecting our responsibility. It is do unfair, really.
Re: Why Many Nigerian Women End Up As Housewives? by Nobody: 10:09am On Apr 20, 2013
honey86:
The reasons you give here are very unfair. I think its high time men also start sharing in the responsibility of taking care of the children that we both produced. The truth is that if we font take good care of them, men will be the first to point accusing fingers that we are neglecting our responsibility. It is do unfair, really.
yes its sad but that's the reality/truth on ground.there are some kinds of work that is not convenient for a married woman and there is no how it will not take its toll on her professional life.i will give an example.when i was there,my boss will tell me,shewa we are going for a 2 weeks seminar in luxenburg.you will stay in a hotel for that 2 weeks while the company will foot the bills of your accomodation and feeding.tell me which man will allow his wife to leave home for 2weeks seminar all in the name of i work in a corporate firm,which man will be comfortable with his wife lodging in a hotel outside the country.the truth of the matter is that the corporate worlds are in an intense competion with each other and each company is trying to prove to the other or to the global market that their products and services are better than the others own,so there is no time and space for anyone constituting herself as a distraction.(e.g i want to go and breast feed my baby,i want to go and pick my son from school etc)they have to ensure that their staffs are up and doing and they get the very best of their energy and intellect.such environment is not condusive and ready to accomodate the biological responsibilities of a married woman because i dont see how a married woman will leave her home and kids to attend to a saturday night cocktail,travel out regularly and her home front will not be affected.like my mom will say there are some certain careers that are unsuitable for married women and if as a married woman you work there,to keep your job,you have to live your life like a single lady.there was a corporate firm to my cousin got a job in recently,they told her to sign an agreement that she will not get married for the next 1o years (she is 25 now) however she will be given an official car,house in lekki , clothing/travelling allowance.when she told her mom,her mom advised her not to sign,she had to resign.so what will you say about that.single men inclusive,its not only females that the company said they should sign it

1 Like

Re: Why Many Nigerian Women End Up As Housewives? by stylesco: 3:09pm On Apr 20, 2013
kulyie: yes its sad but that's the reality/truth on ground.there are some kinds of work that is not convenient for a married woman and there is no how it will not take its toll on her professional life.i will give an example.when i was there,my boss will tell me,shewa we are going for a 2 weeks seminar in luxenburg.you will stay in a hotel for that 2 weeks while the company will foot the bills of your accomodation and feeding.tell me which man will allow his wife to leave home for 2weeks seminar all in the name of i work in a corporate firm,which man will be comfortable with his wife lodging in a hotel outside the country.the truth of the matter is that the corporate worlds are in an intense competion with each other and each company is trying to prove to the other or to the global market that their products and services are better than the others own,so there is no time and space for anyone constituting herself as a distraction.(e.g i want to go and breast feed my baby,i want to go and pick my son from school etc)they have to ensure that their staffs are up and doing and they get the very best of their energy and intellect.such environment is not condusive and ready to accomodate the biological responsibilities of a married woman because i dont see how a married woman will leave her home and kids to attend to a saturday night cocktail,travel out regularly and her home front will not be affected.like my mom will say there are some certain careers that are unsuitable for married women and if as a married woman you work there,to keep your job,you have to live your life like a single lady.there was a corporate firm to my cousin got a job in recently,they told her to sign an agreement that she will not get married for the next 1o years (she is 25 now) however she will be given an official car,house in lekki , clothing/travelling allowance.when she told her mom,her mom advised her not to sign,she had to resign.so what will you say about that.single men inclusive,its not only females that the company said they should sign it

Honestly, I'd sign if I'm faced with such.
Not getting married doesn't stop me from having a child.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

If You Get Someone Pregnant, Must You Marry? / Birth Issues Please Help / Life Insurance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.