Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. (12508 Views)

How Many Christians Follow Jesus' Rule Of 'Turn The Other Cheek?' / Turn The Other Cheek- What Does It Mean? / Turning The Other Cheek (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by Nobody: 2:45pm On Apr 21, 2013
Mintayo: Mark 12:30-31.
30- And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart,all your soul,all your mind, and all your strength.
31- the second is equally important: ' Love your neihgbour as yourself'. No other commandment is greater than these.(i.e all other commandments are embedded in this).

'FORGIVENESS'
IF only we all have this 'quality',the world will be a better place!
God help us all!
indeed
Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by Freiburger(m): 2:51pm On Apr 21, 2013
Me getting slapped? there should be a reason for that, and that i would like to know before turning the other cheek.

1 Like

Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by iluvweed(m): 2:52pm On Apr 21, 2013
Imagine everyone in the world smokes WEED grin, it will be a better place!....

ONLY someone that is HIGH on weed wont slap back and turn is other cheek!

Lets change the world! Lets change the world!! Lets change the WORLD!!!

Legalize it so we can be like JESUS!.... grin grin grin grin grin
Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by Nobody: 3:27pm On Apr 21, 2013
From_Guiriga:

From the moment I raise my hand against another man without cause I have committed an injustice against that man. Now, let's say you and I adhere to that teaching (that we should not commit injustices against each other, nor slap each other) then no reason for any of us to slap each other. We both have to guard against committing an injustice against each other, so there is no reason created.
Slapping someone because they first slapped you for no cause isn't injustice! I think Christ was just teaching us about forgiveness and humility.
Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by Nobody: 3:39pm On Apr 21, 2013
Billyonaire: Turning the other cheek is foolishness.
True.
Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:59pm On Apr 21, 2013
Itoroetti :

@pagan; becareful of what u say and do.at times u may say certain thinks to catch funs or to attract "likes" from fellow nairalanders.but becareful,cos if God visits u positively or negatively,it always end with different stories.

WHY DO YOU ASSUME I BLIV IN YOUR MAN-GOD?! I DONT BELIEVE IN HIM! angry angry angry angry

I bliv in my own Gods, and my own Gods dont say such foolish thins. abi they dont even say anything for that matter. THey are spiritual forces and show signs.
Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:03pm On Apr 21, 2013
From_Guiriga:

Does your religion allow you to slap anyone for no cause at all? Will you agree that any religion or a way of life that teaches a man to slap another for no reason is a religion or way of life of violence?

You are right, the pastor has no right to retaliate. But if you slap another man for no reason, you have committed a grave offense against the man and yourself. The Highest is justice.

If the Christ has said to turn the other cheek, have you thought why?
Let's examine: From the moment I raise my hand against another man without cause I have committed an injustice against that man. Now, let's say you and I adhere to that teaching (that we should not commit injustices against each other, nor slap each other) then no reason for any of us to slap each other. We both have to guard against committing an injustice against each other, so there is no reason created.

I'm curious to your thoughts on this reasoning. Is this the reasoning of a donkey?

Give thanks!

MY RELIGION IS ABOUT SPIRITUALITY. Religion has no business dealing with morality and law. that is an issue of society. only christianity tries to interfere in such public and personal matters, instead of concentrating soley on spirituality, like the true religions.

As a Pagan, my moral code of conduct depends on the society I was raised in, and in the society I was raised in, if someone ever slapped me, I would beat the living sh!.t out of him. Unless hes a person who lawfully and morally has the right to do so.

The reason for slapping spmeone depends on the indviual. For example, the reason I ggave for slapping the pastor, was justifiable according to me.

It is the reasoning of an impractical man and a christian blasphemer.
Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by Mrevildoer(m): 4:06pm On Apr 21, 2013
Vilicious: Am not asking for fun but to know. The bible teaches that If someone slaps you in one side of your cheek, you should turn the other side. After a sermon in my campus fellowship, a guy wanted to tempt me. As I was standing in front of my fellowship members, a guy just ran close to me, slapped me and stated running away. I ran after him, (I was bigger and faster) caught him and pounced on him in front of my fellowship members, some fellowship members were not happy with my action, they said I was not in the spirit. I know I should have let it go, as a christian. So here is my question; if someone hit you do you turn the other side and walk away or are you a little bit like me (am trying to change o) please share your experience too

welL it pends on the sLapper
if itz sum1 with wide or flat hands run!!

But if itz sum1 with soft palms, then u are good to go.
Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:07pm On Apr 21, 2013
skyreach: I pray that God will open your eyes to know the truth and follow the true religion that will save you my brother! Amen!!

The true religion is the religion of your tribe that has been handed down over the ages without human influence and has no-man founder and is of divine providence. Go and return back to your true religion.
Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by Augustinaz(m): 4:20pm On Apr 21, 2013
If you slap me I will do this to you::::

Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by Nobody: 4:29pm On Apr 21, 2013
I will recharge back with immediate effect,I don't care where the slap is coming from.
Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by Suresir: 4:52pm On Apr 21, 2013
Vilicious: Am not asking for fun but to know. The bible teaches that If someone slaps you in one side of your cheek, you should turn the other side. After a sermon in my campus fellowship, a guy wanted to tempt me. As I was standing in front of my fellowship members, a guy just ran close to me, slapped me and stated running away. I ran after him, (I was bigger and faster) caught him and pounced on him in front of my fellowship members, some fellowship members were not happy with my action, they said I was not in the spirit. I know I should have let it go, as a christian. So here is my question; if someone hit you do you turn the other side and walk away or are you a little bit like me (am trying to change o) please share your experience too
stop lieing my frnd,we r nt kids. no 1 wil do dat only children . .God had spoken al u need 2 do is 2 follow .God didnt tel Abraham he wil giv him a ram wen he said he should offer issac .it was his act of obedient dat made him a father 2 d universe. .even though wat God told him was nt gud as he had said wen sum1 Slap u turn d other. He has given u a mindset nt 2 pay evil wit evil bt pay evil wit gud.
Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by toby2all(m): 6:29pm On Apr 21, 2013
Christ said so but He didn't imply its literal meaning. If not, why didn't He retaliate when He was slapped before being crucified? Think about this...
Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by iwanchop(m): 7:33pm On Apr 21, 2013
It depends on who slaps me o
If na Nigerian soldier I go sharpaly give am the second side make him no com shoot me
Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by benodese(m): 8:44pm On Apr 21, 2013
TURN THE OTHER SIDE(CHARACTER)NOT CHEEK.

1 Like

Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by Nobody: 9:23pm On Apr 21, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

so jesus christ told us in the bible not to take his words literally? ok then we should not take him seriously. when he calls us to believe in him, it doesnt mean we should.
helo pagan 9ja! Did i just c ur post with 'WE' on christian issues? Thanks be to GOD 0 you are now a follower of CHRIST. 'Na small small e dey start o!' Just settle your matters with JESUS CHRIST he still loves you dear

1 Like

Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by bamvik(m): 11:20pm On Apr 21, 2013
the bible says 'if someone slaps u, turn d other side meaning u shud show d person the other side of u, grin come 2 tink of it someone jus slap u 4 no jus coz , u are a fool if u dnt retaliate.
Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by Benbiana(f): 11:36pm On Apr 21, 2013
[quote
author=Vilicious]Am not asking for fun but to know. The bible teaches
that If someone slaps you in one side of your cheek, you should turn the
other side. After a sermon in my campus fellowship, a guy wanted to
tempt me. As I was standing in front of my fellowship members, a guy
just ran close to me, slapped me and stated running away. I ran after
him, (I was bigger and faster) caught him and pounced on him in front of
my fellowship members, some fellowship members were not happy with my
action, they said I was not in the spirit. I know I should have let it
go, as a christian. So here is my question; if someone hit you do you
turn the other side and walk away or are you a little bit like me (am
trying to change o) please share your experience too[/quote]

u dit understand dt Jesus ws talkin in parable. bt u nid to mak d story clear. ws there anythg btw d two of u cos,to tell u d truth its stranger.
u nid to mak d picture of d story clearer.
Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by Benbiana(f): 11:37pm On Apr 21, 2013
[quote
author=Vilicious]Am not asking for fun but to know. The bible teaches
that If someone slaps you in one side of your cheek, you should turn the
other side. After a sermon in my campus fellowship, a guy wanted to
tempt me. As I was standing in front of my fellowship members, a guy
just ran close to me, slapped me and stated running away. I ran after
him, (I was bigger and faster) caught him and pounced on him in front of
my fellowship members, some fellowship members were not happy with my
action, they said I was not in the spirit. I know I should have let it
go, as a christian. So here is my question; if someone hit you do you
turn the other side and walk away or are you a little bit like me (am
trying to change o) please share your experience too[/quote]
Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by IOMN(f): 11:38pm On Apr 21, 2013
I'm going to address this from a historical perspective....
From my understanding, during the time of Jesus, slaps were handed out using the back hand to basically humiliate lower class persons. Individuals used the right hand to slap because using the left hand was completely out of the question (the left hand was used for "unclean" purposes); therefore, the slap landed on the right cheek. Turning your right cheek to reveal your left cheek was a way to prevent the person from hitting you again and somewhat demand respect from the person. Open hand slaps were uncommon because they held a different meaning than dislike for a person.

My personal perspective:
It depends on the motive of the slap and the age of the slapper. I most likely would have chased him down, grabbed him and just scared him with threats so he doesn't do something like that again.
Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by RealSleek(m): 12:02am On Apr 22, 2013
First of all.......y'all need to know the difference between evil and persecution...
The thing you need to know about persecution is that you need to turn the other cheek, not resist.

For many people, that concept simply does not compute. So let us clear up some of the misconceptions about turning the other cheek. Jesus' teaching is a good place to start.

"And seeing the multitudes, He went up on a mountain, and when He was seated His disciples came to Him" (Matt. 5:1).

The Sermon on the Mount was not a general address to everyone about how to live life; it was addressed to the disciples, the ones who were going to be taking the gospel into the world when Jesus left. He was teaching them how to conduct themselves as ministers of the gospel.

"Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you" (Matt. 5:10-12).

"You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also" (Matt. 5:38-39).

Here we have a source of misunderstanding which has plagued the religious world for centuries and has caused many people to say, "I don't want any part of being a Christian if you have to let the world walk all over you."

This is ignorance gone to seed.

The Bible makes it clear that we are to resist the devil, the incarnation of evil, and he will flee from us (James 4:7). This sounds as if it contradicts what Jesus taught earlier (Matt. 5:39), unless you read that Scripture in context. Jesus is instructing His disciples about the conduct of ministry regarding persecution. When evil people come against you because of your stand for Jesus, you do not need to defend yourself; turn the other cheek.
RESIST EVILS(boko haram included...cos its mindless killing)
But on every other occasion when you confront evil that does not fall into the category of persecution for your faith, you are to strongly resist evil.

If someone breaks into your house and rapes your wife, are you going to turn the other cheek and offer him your daughter also? Get serious! You know you would not, and neither would I.

You resist evil in every way possible, except when you are being persecuted for the name of Jesus. This is true not only on an individual basis, but also on a corporate basis. As a country, we resist evil on a national level. God does not say we should not defend our nation, we should not fight or we should not kill.

"But, doesn't the Bible say, 'You shall not kill?'"

No, it does not! It says, "You shall not murder" (Ex. 20:13). As a matter of fact, Ecclesiastes 3:3 says there is a time to kill, and one of those occasions is when you're defending the nation where God has placed you.

Romans 13 says, The authorities that exist are appointed by God (v. 1), and that government does not bear the sword in vain (v. 4). This wimpy brand of Christianity that says you have to let the world walk all over you is straight from the pit of hell. This teaching chases people right out the back door. Who would want to be part of that?

Yet in all things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us (Rom. 8:37). There are going to be occasions when you have to stand against evil with every conceivable tool at your disposal and resist it to the very core of your being, or the devil will run roughshod over you.

Very often, the people who say, "Peace, brother," are the same people who do not know the true meaning of turning the other cheek. When someone comes against what they believe, instead of turning the other cheek, they get offended, defensive and start arguing.

This is what it means to turn the other cheek: You simply love the persecutor, letting him see the light of God shining through you.

The most effective response to persecution that we will ever have in the name of Jesus is to smile, love persecutors and not defend ourselves. Let the Lord be your recompense and justification. Then He can use you to bring them into the kingdom. They will see something in you no one else has shown them: tolerance of criticism. Jesus does not need your defense. Besides, it is His reputation
SHALOM

1 Like

Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by Nobody: 12:54am On Apr 22, 2013
If anyone slapped me, and expected me not to retaliate, he or she'd be in for a nasty shock.

I'd respond with a slap worse than the one I received, enough to earn him or her a trip to the dentist for wobbly teeth. That's assuming I didn't bust his or her jaw.
Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by http(m): 2:45am On Apr 22, 2013
i will cause some structural damage to the person jaw in retaliation cos someone cause jaw damage to me too in retaliation when i was the attacker grin grin grin till tomorrow, i have learnt my lesson not to attack people....

@op my return leg will be so bard....
Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by ylaa(f): 8:40am On Apr 22, 2013

the guy just walk up and slapped you just like that? i guess you have nothing to share with us in this forum, i advise you go back and think of something more educating than this cheap article. grin grin grin[color=#006600][/color]
Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by deavicky(m): 9:26am On Apr 22, 2013
As a christain i av taking such slap from someboby before. he slaped me and i give him the other side becos it is the right thing to do. if not i would have recieve planty of it, if had retaliated. so invariably is a function of who is slaping you. you can beat the person fine but if cannot better let go
Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by CocoLoca(f): 5:39pm On Apr 22, 2013
Depends on which "Cheek" we are talking about wink *runs away* cheesy
Re: If Someone Slaps You Would You Turn The Other Cheek. by dwana91(m): 7:53pm On Apr 22, 2013
If the holy spirit directs me to i'll but if not i'll let him know am not a learner

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Private Jet Is A Necessity And Not A Luxury - Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor / Lust Inspired Requests By Pastor Adeboye / RCCG Launches Clean The Waste by RCCG Sanitation Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.