Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,260 members, 7,818,886 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:22 AM

What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? (13986 Views)

Man With One Hand That Breaks Firewood For A Living Pictured / How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate / How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by 1naijaboy(m): 10:03am On Apr 10, 2008
Hi every body.I'm fresh to the ranks of the educated unemployed.I just finished from OOU barely 24 hours ago and I have been thinking,what's next?And that has been scary for me to ponder.With the horrible economic problems of the county,even older graduates still do not have a job.NYSC is a matter of another 12 months at least,so what does one do in the interim?Does anybody know how to get one of those Customer Care job?Or what can a graduate that does not yet have his cert do to kill poverty?And did I mention that I have a lot of people counting on me?Any thoughts,any body?I'm not lazy for damn sure, what is there to do?

1 Like

Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by Seun(m): 2:36pm On Apr 10, 2008
`what course?
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by ezeizu: 6:56pm On Apr 10, 2008
@ seun
pls i'm also in the same shoe here. i'm a grad. of O.A.U Ile-ife, chemistry dept. finished with a 2-1, but scheduled to serve by september,
pls seun help out.
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by lucabrasi(m): 1:53am On Apr 11, 2008
u might try one of the private secondary schools,they pay really good and seeing as its a temporary thing and u will always have time to do your own thing cause of the closing time you can also develop useful contacts from parents which will help in getting a better job,theres other side business u can do like coaching the children of well of parents,the easiest way to get to the heart of an eminent person is through the children

1 Like

Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by Pennywise(m): 1:57pm On Apr 13, 2008
You could be a home tutor.Most concerned parents recognize that pupils and students these days need some kind of private classes. 3-4 one hr visits in a week could earn you 10-12k/mth for a family. 3 families, 36k/mth Circulate leaflets and say things that will inspire confidence by your prospective clients in you. Good luck.

Ohh. Apologies to last poster. Didnt look.

1 Like

Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by sunej(m): 4:08pm On Apr 13, 2008
Pennywise:

You could be a home tutor.Most concerned parents recognize that pupils and students these days need some kind of private classes. 3-4 one hr visits in a week could earn you 10-12k/mth for a family. 3 families, 36k/mth Circulate leaflets and say things that will inspire confidence by your prospective clients in you. Good luck.

Ohh. Apologies to last poster. Didnt look.

I support that notion, I started with home computer training, and today, am one of respected names in the IT world and i also run many reputable sites.
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by Frizy(m): 4:13pm On Apr 13, 2008
1. Learn to develop websites
2. Go into Forex or better still ask mum and dad to buy you some stocks from a good company
3. Work in a cybercafe
4. Sign up a record label. lol
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by almondjoy(f): 6:03pm On Apr 13, 2008
May God continue to help Nigeria.  May God continue to bless America! kiss

@poster

I have committed you in ma prayers.
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by 1naijaboy(m): 6:26pm On Apr 13, 2008
Thank you everybody for sharing your thoughts.Seun,sorry I couldnt answer on time.I did Mass Communication.What do you think?I really think teaching should be handled by teaching proffessionals,not just people who need to survive.What would you be passing on to the children.I dont think I have teaching skills, Yeah,it's good to be self-employed,but there's this thing called Capital, Anyways,I really appreciate your comments.Please keep them coming.They are sure very helpful and Seun,hope yiu have time to respond.Thanks y'all,And,oh,does anybody know how to get a gsm company customer care job?
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by alex406(m): 9:35am On Apr 14, 2008
Kneel Down and pray to God for a favorable job.
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by chukz4real(m): 10:12am On Apr 14, 2008
1naijaboy:

Thank you everybody for sharing your thoughts.Seun,sorry I couldnt answer on time.I did Mass Communication.What do you think?I really think teaching should be handled by teaching proffessionals,not just people who need to survive.What would you be passing on to the children.I don't think I have teaching skills, Yeah,it's good to be self-employed,but there's this thing called Capital, Anyways,I really appreciate your comments.Please keep them coming.They are sure very helpful and Seun,hope yiu have time to respond.Thanks y'all,And,oh,does anybody know how to get a gsm company customer care job?

Bro. Teaching considering ur situation presenlty does not matter much whether u are a professional or not. Thank God u said u just graduated couple of hours ago or so. I pray u don't find ursef in one village secondary school in far away northern Nigeria courtesy of NYSC. I read computer science and was sent to the classroom by NYSC to teach mathematics. Anyways, u want a very good pay job for a start temporary without a certificate right? Interesting. How I wish u know how many graduates with 2:1 searching for same opportunities? Bro. go to the classroom as a private tutor and do it wholeheartedly. During my NYSC days, I met with couple of colleagues who were braggin then; ", a graduate to get a job for N50,000, what will I do with that?" some of them are still searching for job for couple of years now while the sensible ones had even taken that of N30,000 or less for a start.

So my dear graduate, take ur mind off that Telecommunication Customer Care job before u end up like my Ikwerre friend with primary six leaving certificate that sold up his viable business in Kaduna to go and look for job at Kaduna Refining and Petrochemical Company. grin grin So b wise!

1 Like

Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by myholydove(m): 10:18am On Apr 14, 2008
Good question. Most graduates today don't know what to do after graduation, REASON: they didn't prepare themselves for life after school. they neva cared to discover themselves.

SOLUTION:

1) discover ur talent and develop it. it will fetch u money

2) Learn something and be goog at it. As u know now the world is going IT, so a carrer in the computer world wouldn't be a bad idea.

3) Read personal development books, it gives u an edge over others especially during interviews.

4) Network i.e get to know people maybe in your church or club, I mean quality people, they may have one or two job 4 u. When meeting they don't appear to be a gold digger, have something meaning to give in return, maybe knowledge.

5) Start up a business. If u don't have capital, still go ahead and develop a business proposal. There's someone out there who will finance it, just take a closer look.

6) visit www.shell.com/careers, register as a graduate. It's their new way of recruiting people all over the world now. This opportunity is also available to students in higher institutions.

7) Read, read, read

Above listed items have been applied by me and they have worked. Am still in school, but I get lot's of offers b'cos of what I know.

N.B  am not 4rm a rich home, but I have developed a means to round my background.

For further advise u can reach me on this e-mail addres mayorken@fastermail.com
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by zmovement(m): 4:16pm On Apr 14, 2008
step 1 :look within,
step 2 :get real patient,
step 3 :look around you (not beyond 20 km radius on your location),
step 4 :see any need(s) and
finally : fill the/those need(s).

that is all it takes to bust the poverty failsafe line.
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by DeepSoul(f): 4:42pm On Apr 14, 2008
@zmovement
Sure, there are a gazillion needs to fill. Business wise, they are called market gaps. Problem is, where does a fresh grad
get funds for this "filling"?

@poster
I'm in the same situation with you - awaiting NYSC but I'm already working. Talk to people you know. Preach to EVERYONE how badly you need to keep busy and earn money and you'd be amazed at how much you can do without a certificate! Marketing jobs are usually the easiest to come by in cases like this. All you have to have is basic IQ and good communication skills.

On the other hand, you can do good by volunteering for a charity or learn a new language and most importantly read, read and did I say read?!
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by zmovement(m): 7:50pm On Apr 14, 2008
thank you my friend!
u see we are all multi-trillion-dollar supercomputer-robots (at least that is how i see nigerian graduates) but i must say that a vast majority of us are infected with viruses which undermine our cerebral efficiency and capacity. one of them is PRIDE the other is what i call "FRIVOLOUS ECSTASIASIS" alongside "FANTASY SYNDROMIASIS".

now to answer your question, Q: how do you make money (the hard, old fashioned way)?

A:by producing goods using machineries to convert raw materials to finished goods (note that the higher the demand for these goods, the more chances are that you will amortize your investment sooner. Machineries are locally fabricable at ridiculous prices (< N30G) in your locality by a good welder (except your line of biz uses an electron microscope).
raw materials are a snap-almost free.
please use your supercomputer to evolve your skill and talent orientation and please, if you love yourself more than your shoes-format your hard drive and go learn a skill to manage your proposed biz.
do until end.
see ya!
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by atajiri(m): 1:42am On Apr 15, 2008
one of the things you should do is to ask God for direction, An idea will come into your mind from the lord cool

1 Like

Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by atajiri(m): 5:16am On Apr 15, 2008
atajiri:

one of the things you should do is to ask God for direction, An idea will come into your mind from the lord cool/quote]

YOUARE ACCOUNTABLE FOR WHAT YOU DO, AND NO ONE ELSE IS ACCOUNTABLE
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by xheggs(m): 12:15pm On Apr 15, 2008
u gotta hustle man.,.,.
graduate or no-graduate believe me u can hit it.,.,.
u just got to be smart.

if u just want to make money, then try all these forex, google adsense & all but if u want to make news, try to identify holes(i.e lacks, wastages & all) in some companies then write a proposal on how u fink it can b fixed.,.,.,.dont be suprised when the company employs u to head the project.

N.B.: such proposals needs strong pesterin & also ensure ur dealing wif the md or a very top person else.,.,.
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by loxxy: 6:51pm On Apr 15, 2008
MY BROTHER. I HAVE A JOBS FOR FRESH GRADUATE AS A MARKETING COLSUTANT WITH AFRO GOLD PAGE, LEKKI. WITH OFFICES IN CANADA, AND AMERICA EMAIL ME IMMEDIAYELY. ceoeljohn@yahoo.com
YOU CAN EARN UP TO 60K-1MILLION NAIRA ON A MONTHLY BASIS DEPENDING ON YOUR MARKETING STRATEGIES. I WISH YOU LUCK. YOU CAN ALSO CHECK ON THE WEBSITE WWW.AFROGOLDPAGES.COM
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by dee02(m): 9:16pm On Apr 17, 2008
Prolly steal!
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by ennyclaude(m): 1:59pm On Apr 21, 2008
@Poster,
haa after drinking beer at belle abi?lol

also finished same week, Computer science, home is boring now
need place for IT
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by dee02(m): 3:45pm On Apr 21, 2008
since pure water now sells for 10naira, i think it wld be lucrative!
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by thunderboy(m): 11:47am On Apr 22, 2008
shebi u finish for OSU abi na OOU den dey call am now , GO DO YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!! grin
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by Samohong: 4:33pm On Apr 23, 2008
@ Seun

Seun, honestly i really appreciate ur concerns being a fresh graduate. and if i must tell u, u ve just asked a very good and serious question. if i had this @ d back of my mind wen i was leaving schul maybe i woudn't b where i am today. i tink u shuld just try & identify what people lack & need, and u can make a living out of it. wish u good luck and all d best

cheers cool
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by lobinoxebe(m): 4:49pm On Apr 23, 2008
Nairaland has realy helped most nigerians to develop their skills, Especially me,

I dont make money from reading post but i make what can fetch me money,

Thanks for nairaland,
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by FMK(m): 5:32pm On Apr 23, 2008
Poster,

to get a fish you need to prepare your net to get honey you need to accept to be stung there is no easy money you need to find out so that people can discover what you are i am seeing some good suggestion above can Help you . today world is D# from yesterday world Information and Technology is deep advanced get in the game it can help
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by sagitarius(m): 12:17pm On Apr 25, 2008
Go get a gun. lol
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by winch(m): 6:05pm On Apr 25, 2008
u guyz r all cool,u r bing ur brda keeper in deed, NAIRALAND ROCKS wink
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by Tonyblu(m): 8:40pm On Apr 25, 2008
Idea plenty for this forum oh!
Ride on Guys!
We shall all Succeed in our different pursuits and endeavours!
This generation shall be the BEST generation Naija has ever Got!

Well done brothers and Sisters!
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by IDFIB: 2:10am On Apr 26, 2008
Congrat fresh grad!

I think the best home buz U can do is the forex trading. U sit in your bed room while the money is coming in, but omo, dont go to forex lossers for a training o, else, else , uhm,

U can check this out www.ramzyinvestment.com. and thatz wot I do for a living.

Take care,

Kolly Jay
Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by lordy(m): 4:09am On Apr 26, 2008
Congrats fresh graduate! I was once one. But do we all have to start by looking for Job? My brother, my people perish for lack of truth, so the Bible says, but it still holds true today.

If you schooled in Nigeria, which I suppose you did, you can't claim ignorance of headlines like these:

SHELL to lay off 20% of it's staff.

FG to sack 33,000 workers.

Sokoto State Government sacks 2000 workers.

51,000 railway workers sacked without benefits.

Over 30 million Nigerians Unemployed.

500,000 workers penciled down for retrenchment nationwide.

CBN sacks 600 workers.

Access Bank to sack all Polytechnic graduates (whether you have a first class or not!) plus all their University graduates with less than 2,1.

Nigerian Airways to sack 1000 of it's 2,300 employees.

13,000 dock (Nigerian Ports Authority) workers to be sacked.

In essence, by working for someone else (at least full time) you allow your happiness and future to rest in the hands of other people, including that of your wife, children and dependants. You leave your future blank and unstable, and you lose the present and future benefits you will receive from a successful personally owned and easy to run business.

My brother, there are so many young Nigerians out there that are doing so well without paid jobs. Life is much more than that.

Check out this link: http://successfulentrepreneursnetwork..com

As unserious as I am with this network see the attached doc for my earnings, doing nothing.
Something good is actually coming out of Nigeria.
Attached herein is a copy of my recent earnings.

Re: What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? by MCUsman(m): 12:40pm On Apr 30, 2008
@ Poster

Join the Police Force and contribute your quota in National developemnt

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Pain Of An Accountant / Agony Of An Accountant / How To Have A Happy Retirement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.