Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,451 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:50 AM

Changing Tyre Specs - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Changing Tyre Specs (1703 Views)

Price Of New Tyre / How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? / The Best Tyre For Nigerian Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Changing Tyre Specs by Denc: 9:26am On Apr 21, 2013
Hello all

My recommended tyre specs are
P 215 50 R 17 93 V

However, I want to increase ground clearance by changing the tyres whilst using the same 17 inch rims

Please suggest what tyre specs I can opt for without increasing fuel consumption OR having other negative side-effects...

Re: Changing Tyre Specs by kenmaro: 11:30am On Apr 21, 2013
205/60 R 17
Re: Changing Tyre Specs by Ikenna351(m): 11:49am On Apr 21, 2013
205/65 R17 would do, depending on how high you want it to go.

But note that you gain some, you lose some. It will definitely affect the handling, speedometer, and maybe, the fuel conumption.

Ikenna.
Re: Changing Tyre Specs by Denc: 1:52pm On Apr 21, 2013
Ikenna351: 205/65 R17 would do, depending on how high you want it to go.

But note that you gain some, you lose some. It will definitely affect the handling, speedometer, and maybe, the fuel conumption.

Ikenna.

Thanks kenmaro

Ikenna...I want to go as high as possible...without any adverse effects on the car

So what specs can I safely go with?
Re: Changing Tyre Specs by 9icetoo(m): 2:11pm On Apr 21, 2013
You cant go any higher than the recommended without any adverse effects to the car. the Bleep/60/17 or Bleep/65/17 tyre will increase the weight of your tyres, increasing the overall weight of your car and will adversely affect your fuel economy. Another point to note is that, the clearance between the tyres and the cars fender will be greatly reduced. This will result in the tyres rubbing on the fender and will deteriorate the tyres quickly. If you want to increase the overall height of your car, i think you should consider lifting the suspensions. This will affect the handling anyway. In all, you are going to have to compromise something. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Changing Tyre Specs by Denc: 3:33pm On Apr 21, 2013
9icetoo

Compromise...hmmm...na wa ooo
Re: Changing Tyre Specs by kenmaro: 10:47pm On Apr 22, 2013
When changing tire sizes, it is recommended you stay within 3% of the diameter/height of the original(stock) tire. Any more or less than this may cause brake failure. You may go to this tire calculator to do the best fit yourself http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator
Re: Changing Tyre Specs by Nobody: 6:57pm On Apr 23, 2013
kenmaro: When changing tire sizes, it is recommended you stay within 3% of the diameter/height of the original(stock) tire. Any more or less than this may cause brake failure. You may go to this tire calculator to do the best fit yourself http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

Brake failure how? Please explain.
Re: Changing Tyre Specs by kenmaro: 9:38pm On Apr 23, 2013
Somorin#1: Wrong tire size fitment will increase your braking distance ( poor traction) required which may cause brake failure.
Re: Changing Tyre Specs by Nobody: 5:34am On Apr 24, 2013
kenmaro: Somorin#1: Wrong tire size fitment will increase your braking distance ( poor traction) required which may cause brake failure.

Then not a failure.

I can see where a heavier tire MIGHT cause an extended stopping distance but not a total failure.

I've done +1 up to +3 on cars and I've never had a failure.

I tend to speak from direct and first hand experience and not cut and pasting YouTube stuff.

(1) (Reply)

Peugeot 406 Tokunbo / Which Mercedes Model Is This / P0500 Solution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.