Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

Paying Taxes In Nigeria, Can It Improve The Economy? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Paying Taxes In Nigeria, Can It Improve The Economy? (6268 Views)

Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos / Nigerians React To Lai Mohammed's Comments On The Economy / FG Earns N980bn From Taxes In Three Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Paying Taxes In Nigeria, Can It Improve The Economy? by anonimi: 11:27am On Apr 11, 2008
oyb,

i can understand your cynicism. but then we need to break out of the vicious cycle somehow and no politician will do it for us of his own volition.
poster's idea is just one thing to be tried.
I guess the saudi govt. does not collect taxes (sometimes called royalties) from the oil companies there on behalf of its people?
Re: Paying Taxes In Nigeria, Can It Improve The Economy? by Kobojunkie: 5:35am On Apr 12, 2008
anonimi:

oyb,

i can understand your cynicism. but then we need to break out of the vicious cycle somehow and no politician will do it for us of his own volition.
poster's idea is just one thing to be tried.
I guess the saudi govt. does not collect taxes (sometimes called royalties) from the oil companies there on behalf of its people?

Even Nigeria does the same "on behalf of it's people. I do agree with you that we need to break out of the vicious cycle. It is easy to become complacent, infact, I would venture to say that 98% of Nigerians are already living it and not until we break out of that need to be contented with rubbish can we get the life we want. Infact, we today have more and more Nigerians who believe in sitting and waiting for the same politicians that have failed them over and over to save them. Amazes me how, after all we have been through, we could still have people who believe that to be the way to go.
Re: Paying Taxes In Nigeria, Can It Improve The Economy? by Ibime(m): 2:00pm On Apr 12, 2008
@ 4Play. Spot on. I couldn't have said it better myself. It is a good idea but unworkable.
Re: Paying Taxes In Nigeria, Can It Improve The Economy? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Apr 12, 2008
Please, I agree with OYB. Saudi does not pay tax. WHY can't we be like Saudi? America stinks jo. I've seen the horror of taxes in America firsthand, and by the way, those taxes will just be stole in Nigeria, so no thank you.

And anyway, the title of your thread is: Paying Taxes in Nigeria, Can It Improve The Economy? meaning that you are asking us whether we think it will help. We have told you that we don't think it will work. Either stop trying to shove your idea down our throats, or change the name of your thread.

Boom!
Re: Paying Taxes In Nigeria, Can It Improve The Economy? by debosky(m): 10:01pm On Apr 12, 2008
Comparing yourselves to Saudi Arabia is a tad silly - the only parallel is you both produce oil, but Saudi pumps almost 6 or 7 times as much oil with a MUCH SMALLER population so it can work for them. It CANNOT work for Nigeria because the oil revenue is insufficient to meet people's needs.

The issue of taxation is not the problem per se, unless of course, the fact that people pay taxes would make them be more demanding on their representatives and actually feel the money leaving their pockets and make them more interested in how those monies are spent. Aside from that, taxation revenues will help little, especially with the huge informal economy that will be difficult to properly tax.

1 Like

Re: Paying Taxes In Nigeria, Can It Improve The Economy? by Kobojunkie: 10:12pm On Apr 12, 2008
sugabelly:

Please, I agree with OYB. Saudi does not pay tax. WHY can't we be like Saudi? America stinks jo. I've seen the horror of taxes in America firsthand, and by the way, those taxes will just be stole in Nigeria, so no thank you.

And anyway, the title of your thread is: Paying Taxes in Nigeria, Can It Improve The Economy? meaning that you are asking us whether we think it will help. We have told you that we don't think it will work. Either stop trying to shove your idea down our throats, or change the name of your thread.

Boom!

Here is a task for you. List these so called Horrors of tazes in America you claim you know firsthand or accept you are just a DISHONEST NIGERIAN. A HUGE LIAR and story-maker-upper!!! LMAO!!!
Re: Paying Taxes In Nigeria, Can It Improve The Economy? by Nobody: 1:45am On Apr 13, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Here is a task for you. List these so called Horrors of tazes in America you claim you know firsthand or accept you are just a DISHONEST NIGERIAN. A HUGE LIAR and story-maker-upper!!! LMAO!!!

I shall accept no such thing. I am not dishonest in any way thank you. I am decent and fair in all my dealings, or at least I try my hardest to be. America taxes so much, yet cannot provide affordable health care for its citizens. One in seven Americans in uninsured, and those who are feel the pinch when insurance companies refuse to pay or when they have conditions that have to be treated outside their HMO. The tax dollars are on the other hand being used to fund a stupid and pointless war that has gone on for how many years (5? ) now.

I am not a liar. Taxation will do Nigeria no good. And besides, why shouldn't we compare ourselves to Saudi Arabia? Saudi Arabia was built on the same oil money that Nigeria has. Granted their population is smaller, and they pump more, but with any considerable amount of oil money, Nigeria should be able to develop itself to a reasonable level (which is what is happening slowly by the way - go take a look at Abuja) without need for taxation.

Plus, I seriously doubt that there is any such term as "story-maker-upper". I think it's called "telling tales".
Re: Paying Taxes In Nigeria, Can It Improve The Economy? by 4Play(m): 1:58am On Apr 13, 2008
sugabelly:

I am not a liar. Taxation will do Nigeria no good. And besides, why shouldn't we compare ourselves to Saudi Arabia? Saudi Arabia was built on the same oil money that Nigeria has. Granted their population is smaller, and they pump more, but with any considerable amount of oil money, Nigeria should be able to develop itself to a reasonable level (which is what is happening slowly by the way - go take a look at Abuja) without need for taxation.

Plus, I seriously doubt that there is any such term as "story-maker-upper". I think it's called "telling tales".

You don't get it,we can't be like Saudi Arabia because the circumstances are entirely different.Its like comparing a family of 4 making 11m Naira per annum to a family of 15 making 2m Naira.

Besides,I don't get this idea that Saudi Arabia is a model we want to copy.This country has a lower living standard than the average developed nation and is almost wholly dependent on the price of oil.A decade ago,per capita income was around $6k and unemployment topped 30%.

We have to broaden our source of revenue and any suggestion that the solution to our problem lies in remaining drunk on oil,exposed to the vicissitudes of oil prices,is simply obtuse.

In broadening our revenue base,its important that we have an efficient tax system with emphasis on low tax rates and an expansion of our tax payer's base.

1 Like

Re: Paying Taxes In Nigeria, Can It Improve The Economy? by Kobojunkie: 2:16am On Apr 13, 2008
sugabelly:

I shall accept no such thing. I am not dishonest in any way thank you. I am decent and fair in all my dealings, or at least I try my hardest to be. America taxes so much, yet cannot provide affordable health care for its citizens. One in seven Americans in uninsured, and those who are feel the pinch when insurance companies refuse to pay or when they have conditions that have to be treated outside their HMO. The tax dollars are on the other hand being used to fund a stupid and pointless war that has gone on for how many years (5? ) now.

Your argument actually shows you are one of those who like to mix issues that are not necessarily related in any way to try to make some point.  I say you please do some research instead of giving us some bitter rants and whines as your reason.

I happen to live in the United states and I disagree with all you have said so far. Does that then mean you are right We do not pay even as much taxes as canadians do and I would suggest you move out to these live a year or two in some of these countries that offer you health care and what not .  Here is something to help enlighten on on how much of americans actually pay taxes and what they pay , http://www.allegromedia.com/sugi/taxes/

nOw here is an idea of where the taxes you pay in America rank in the world compared to those countries you eye for having health care for all and tell us that you are willing to pay way more for what you want or accept you are just whining , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tax_revenue_as_percentage_of_GDP

uuummmm,  it does not matter what you think of the word. I meant to use that as I did
Re: Paying Taxes In Nigeria, Can It Improve The Economy? by frag(m): 2:43am On Apr 15, 2008
Demola if you want to pay tax you should go and pay it. If you can pay mine with yours as well it will be well appreciated since you get too much money. Good luck. Oh,by the way can you pay for my G.friend as well?
Re: Paying Taxes In Nigeria, Can It Improve The Economy? by TheSly: 2:48am On Apr 15, 2008
Demola if you want to pay tax you should go and pay it. If you can pay mine with yours as well it will be well appreciated since you get too much money.
grin grin grin grin Gbam!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dangote Going Broke? / Buhari may not be nigeria's president come may 29 / Britain Finally Speak Out On The Recent Biafra Agitations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.