Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:42 PM

Dangote Going Broke? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dangote Going Broke? (6259 Views)

End Of OPEC As Saudi Arabia Going Broke / GEJ Meets With Dangote, Otedola, Other Businessmen In Lagos (Photos) / Nigeria Is Going Broke - Okonjo Iweala : The Nation Newspaper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangote Going Broke? by asha2: 7:39pm On Jul 20, 2009
One by one they are leaving. As the fortunes of Nigeria’s richest man continue to take a nose dive, the financial empire of Alhaji Aliko Dangote listed by Forbes magazine as amongst the world’s richest men is already cracking up, and beginning to collapse under its own debt and mismanagement.

The auguries are not good. Consider just a few recent events: First has been the mass exodus of some top brass within the Dangote group who have taken to the exits before what is believed to be the imminent crash. Mr. Uzoma “Uzor” Nwankwo; the Group Executive Director in charge of Corporate Finance abandoned ship after just four years in charge; ostensibly afraid the black box-like financial management at the Dangote group will implode in a wave of accounting scandals.

Alhaji Tajudeen “Taju” Sijuade; the former chief accountant and group finance director left after 20 years nervous that hidden billions of debts and operating losses inside private partnerships and dizzyingly complex accounting schemes that were intended to pump up the buzz about the Dangote group and support the inflated stock price of its companies will explode.

Anthony “Tony” Hadley; an expatriate hired from the French building materials conglomerate, Group Lafarge for $5 million a year left in anger and frustration accusing Aliko Dangote of duplicity and reneging on the terms of his employment contract. Also already taken to the exit is Samaila Suberu, the finance controller cum treasurer of the Dangote group. A source close to Dangote who pleaded anonymity for obvious reasons told Huhuonline.com that: "they are all resigning now for 'personal reasons' but I would think they have looked down the road and know this stuff is unfixable and would rather abandon ship now than resign in shame later."

As if that was not enough, the Senate Committee on Banking, Insurance and Other Financial Institutions named Aliko Dangote among the beneficiaries of the N53.3 bn Failed Banks’ Loans. Dangote, then a director of Liberty Bank Plc (in Liquidation), secured a loan of N650m without collateral for Bullion International and Dangote Group of Companies.

Although Dangote claims to have refunded all the money, the conflict of interest and bad publicity was the latest in a line of embarrassing gaffes for the head of a business enterprise whose vision as stated on the group website is: “To be a world class enterprise that is passionate about the standard of living of the general populace and high returns to stakeholders.” The Senate Committee chair, Senator Nkechi Nwaogu, reportedly received death threats on account of the published list and investigations traced the threats to Dangote’s home state, Kano.

Huhuonline.com investigations have zeroed in on accounting schemes and other questionable business practices - including a bizarre sex angle – by frantic Dangote group officials who are racing against time to hold the bottom from giving way as their debts have been mounting, creditors and banks breathing down their necks asking for re-payment of past loans; falling stock price was falling and that the last people to learn of the looming reckoning were going to be millions of Dangote shareholders and innocent Nigerians an unenviable position for a group whose mission as outlined on its website is to: “ Touch the lives of people by providing their basic needs.” One manager-level employee from the group told Huhuonline.com that: "I know it would be devastating to all of us, but I wish we would get caught. We're such a crooked company."

It seems almost certain that the chickens are coming home to roost for Aliko Dangote, but the man’s unpopularity runs far deeper. After he threatened President Yar’adua over a planned move by the government to increase the number of cement import licenses to importers outside the sector, the Cement Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (CMAN), called off Dangote’s bluff and declared their unflinching support for government's decision to import cement to augment the shortfall in local production.

Rising from a stakeholders meeting on Thursday, July 2, CMAN in a statement by its Executive Secretary, Mr. J. A Salako noted that the group had always held the position that importation of cement was an imperative in the short-term to ensure that national demand for the product could be met since local production remained grossly insufficient.

Despite being cleared of any wrong doing by SEC, in the share scam involving African Petroleum AP Plc shares of his erstwhile friend, now bitter enemy, Chief Femi Otedola, Huhuonline.com has learnt that on the instructions from Aso Rock, the Board of the Nigerian Security and Exchange Commission (SEC), where Dangote served as second vice president has asked the business magnate to resign his position, saying he has become too compromised with his shady business dealing. According to a source who elected anonymity the move is to allow SEC restore public and investor confidence on the market regulatory agency.

Apparently, Aliko Dangote's lavish “investment” in political donations in the ruling PDP also seems to have run up against the limits of its return as the man is yet to get a response from the series of “help-me calls” he has been making to Aso Villa as the wheels of his financial empire started coming off. Forbes magazine which estimated Dangote’s net worth at $3.3 billion noted that the fortunes of the world’s number 334 richest man has been shrinking, but could not establish the extent of Dangote’s loss because of the group’s secretive and mind-numbingly complex black-box like business operations. Forbes blamed the loss on the global economic crisis.

http://huhuonline.com/news506.html
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by presido1: 8:45pm On Jul 20, 2009
his own almost finished when obj was ejected from aso rock
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by asha2: 8:53pm On Jul 20, 2009
presido1:

his own almost finished when obj was ejected from aso rock

How can someone have a monoply of importation of sugar,cement,flour.I know he is good business man but honestly what does he know that other nigerian biz men do not know?
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by KnowAll(m): 9:12pm On Jul 20, 2009
Nigeria is still an untapped investor's heaven, if a lot of Nigerians have  1/8th the money he has at the moment they will not only threble his dwindling fortune they will quadruple it. He has never been a businesman, what he has always been is a monopolist, only a fool with not make money when you are the only one selling a product.
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by Lagosboy: 9:13pm On Jul 20, 2009
asha 2:

How can someone have a monoply of importation of sugar,cement,flour.I know he is good business man but honestly what does he know that other nigerian biz men do not know?

Certainly knows how to monopolise everything
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by desgiezd(m): 9:53am On Jul 21, 2009
asha 2:

One terrible thing is that all forms of government in power have always helped this man to maintain his monopoly, be it military or civilian. In a country of 140 million people, its simply horrendous for only one individual to be supplying all the sugar and some other items we need in this country. And the governments show their complicity in allowing him to build warehouses and factories right inside the ports.
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by GEW: 9:59am On Jul 21, 2009
Lagosboy:

Certainly knows how to monopolise everything
that is the sharia way isnt it?
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by presido1: 10:01am On Jul 21, 2009
The chicken is coming home to roast. The chaff will soon be separated from the grain.
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by kokoA(m): 10:26am On Jul 21, 2009
Dangote can never be broke. Ok?
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by asha2: 10:38am On Jul 21, 2009
kokoA:

Why do you think so?
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by MrCrackles(m): 10:41am On Jul 21, 2009
Can this be true? shocked
Dangote going broke? undecided
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by asha2: 10:43am On Jul 21, 2009
MrCrackles:

Can this be true? shocked
Dangote going broke? undecided

Did you read the article?
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by MrCrackles(m): 10:45am On Jul 21, 2009
asha 2:

Did you read the article?

Yes i did. . . . i am kinna coy! undecided
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by kokoA(m): 10:47am On Jul 21, 2009
asha 2:

Why do you think so?

Good question. Can you paste the article here? I will respond after going through it. Thanks
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by asha2: 10:51am On Jul 21, 2009
kokoA:

Good question. Can you paste the article here? I will respond after going through it. Thanks

I tried pasting it but the annoying automatic nairaland spam bot kept removing it angry
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by kokoA(m): 11:01am On Jul 21, 2009
asha 2:

I tried pasting it but the annoying automatic nairaland spam bot kept removing it angry

OK. 4 Reasons why Dangote can never be broke:

1. He has diversified his business to cover the production of different essential household products that people will always buy no matter what.

2. He does'nt manage his business by himself. He has hired capable expatriates to call the shots in his companies.

3. He is no a tribalist (like typical Nigerian business men). He ha evenly distributed his companies accross the the country, that is the character of a strong entreprenure.

4. The Nigerian government will no let him go broke, because if he does, Nigerian will suffer. And lots more
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by GEW: 11:04am On Jul 21, 2009
kokoA:

kokoA:

1. He has diversified his business to cover the production of different essential household products that people will always buy no matter what.

2. He does'nt manage his business by himself. He has hired capable expatriates to call the shots in his companies.

3. He is no a tribalist (like typical Nigerian business men). He ha evenly distributed his companies accross the the country, that is the character of a strong entreprenure.

4. The Nigerian government will no let him go broke, because if he does, Nigerian will suffer. And lots more
you dont know the extent to which nigerians cook books so dont bank on publicity and ignorance. if all your reasons apart from no. 4 are true why did other well run companies go down?
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by asha2: 11:05am On Jul 21, 2009
kokoA:

Which nigerian real business man is a tribalist?

Nigerian govt should flogged for empowering one man in a big country like nigeria to the extent thet if he collapses the masses will suffer.
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by kokoA(m): 11:15am On Jul 21, 2009
GEW:

you dont know the extent to which nigerians cook books so dont bank on publicity and ignorance. if all your reasons apart from no. 4 are true why did other well run companies go down?

Not only NIgerians "cook books". Give examples of well ran companies that went down, maybe I will start agreeing with you
asha 2:

Which nigerian real business man is a tribalist?

Nigerian govt should flogged for empowering one man in a big country like nigeria to the extent thet if he collapses the masses will suffer.

Check the board of their companies you will know. I beg to disagree with you onDangote monopolyzing Nigeria economy. Where are the Otedolas, Adenugas, Tinubus, Ibrus to mention but a few.
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by Nezan(m): 11:49am On Jul 21, 2009
Well, wit OBJ's 3rd term failure, I woulnt be surprised wink
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by posakosa(m): 11:49am On Jul 21, 2009
Dangote can never go broke.

Its like someone saying that Babaginda will go broke. The slowpoke hasn't held a job in years, ha!  Just like leaders elected, he's a thief.
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by sirt1(m): 12:08pm On Jul 21, 2009
Can he go broke? Does it means that all the positive publicity about him were fake? I find it very hard to believe sha. However, nothing is impossible, but I wish he could get out of it.
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by whiteroses(f): 12:14pm On Jul 21, 2009
get a life loosers mr aliko dangote can never ever be broke, this is reccesion period all business are bound to experience some downturn, proffesional economist estimated this and says in three years things will go back to normal, nigerians enjoy downfall of others why din't they publish story of numerous business going down the drain even europeans business and banks are closing fast
"One by one they are leaving. As the fortunes of Nigeria’s richest man continue to take a nose dive, the financial empire of Alhaji Aliko Dangote listed by Forbes magazine as amongst the world’s richest men is already cracking up, and beginning to collapse under its own debt and mismanagement" shame on you all what business nowadays is this not happening to
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by whiteroses(f): 12:22pm On Jul 21, 2009
get a life loosers mr aliko dangote can never ever be broke, this is reccesion period all business are bound to experience some downturn, proffesional economist estimated this and says in three years things will go back to normal, nigerians enjoy downfall of others why din't they publish story of numerous business going down the drain even europeans business and banks are closing fast "One by one they are leaving. As the fortunes of Nigeria’s richest man continue to take a nose dive, the financial empire of Alhaji Aliko Dangote listed by Forbes magazine as amongst the world’s richest men is already cracking up, and beginning to collapse under its own debt and mismanagement" shame on you all what business nowadays is this not happening to
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by jaybee3(m): 12:50pm On Jul 21, 2009
The stuffs needed for the dude to go broke are;
squeeze in his liquidity,
reduction in value of his assets
Major stock market crash = bankruptcy.

I am sure you guys know he has vast amounts of loans he his servicing as well.

A billionaire going broke doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't have money to survive on, it just mean that they wouldn't be able to sustain the billionaire lifestyle they are accustomed to.
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by BlackRevo: 12:53pm On Jul 21, 2009
I believe with time all things will be made clear to everyone.

But i really don't think if he goes down Nigeria will suffer for it long time. there are capable hands who will move into the new space quickly. The present structure does not permit you to just wake up one day and start investing so huge without political backing.

So do you think if we move back to the regional type of government the east will allow dangote to come and be a monopolist in their region or the south west will allow him to be that in their region? Hell nooooooo.
kokoA:

Either he is a tribalist or not or he employs many Nigerians and his business his diversified does not concern me because i believe the monopoly has done us more terrible harm than good.

Take the telecommunication industry for example when Nitel was the God of all Nigerians.
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by Jairzinho(m): 1:25pm On Jul 21, 2009
The man has enough assets to cove any liabiliies. .  . . .also many people work for him or have shares in his companies,so make una stop this rumor o !!

Dangote Flour is on record as the only company to pay dividend every quarter(back then sha,I'm not current anymore) . . . . he's cool  wink

I'm kinda curious about the 'bizzare sex angle' though  undecided

asha 2:

Huhuonline.com investigations have zeroed in on accounting schemes and other questionable business practices - including a bizarre sex angle – by frantic Dangote group officials who are racing against time to hold the bottom from giving way as their debts have been mounting, creditors and banks breathing down their necks asking for re-payment of past loans; falling stock price was falling and that the last
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by bigben3: 1:29pm On Jul 21, 2009
If story is true,then it's rather unfortunate.I think it is high time people build their business on true solid foundation and principle, rather than on hype and unnecessary noise making.The truth really is that no matter how long falsehood persist,truth will one day catch up with it,and please don't forget nature always have a way of correcting some anomalies in the society just like the correction going on currently in the stock exchange market.More money will be lost/made in this period,all depending on which side you belong and how well you are able to adjust yourself and recognise oppportunity.
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by dfanthom(m): 2:08pm On Jul 21, 2009
most businesses do undergo tough times in their cycle. however, if they have been ethical & base the biz venture on fundamentals then i guess they'd survive the storm. however, if they have been cooking the books & ignoring the fundamentals, then the crash is imminent 'cept the govt bails them out. grin

also, the company might be broke & he'd still be rich as an individual. whichever way, i gat to build my own empire too. eze puoh, eze anochiem!!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by otokx(m): 2:12pm On Jul 21, 2009
dfanthom has said it all - make we find our own belle but how dangote go broke?
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by aquita(m): 2:18pm On Jul 21, 2009
All businesses experience downturn at one point or the other. Dangote has done so much for this country in terms of employment opportunities. I know the man (and his business)will scale through whether some people like it or not.
Re: Dangote Going Broke? by steeee(m): 2:47pm On Jul 21, 2009
What do u expect from a man they just DASHED 500,000 Naria by Dantata's in the early 80's.
And how he DOUBLE CROSSED tha Danata's Business of Importataion of Essential Commodites ie rice , sugar, Fertilizers, salt etc
What are his Business princple ? what Business innovation that he has craved for himself to keep competitors on their toes?
I can not vividly assigned any Business acumen to these MAN.
Does he thinks is just by donating Millions of Naria in any PDP given events ?
Recently he deonated a whooping 1 Billion to TURAI YARADUA Cancer screening centre in Abuja what for ?
when these Monies should be given as soft loans to Millions of Women to revolving loans scheme .
As far am concerned Nigerians Businessmen, Political leaders in all level of Governace have not really made NIGERIA their HOME
We need geniune and credible people to lead these country.
Whay must i build my own house, generate my own electicity and drill my own borehole and even provide security and looked up to CNN and BBC for an unbiased report of events in my backyard, when we have NTA is really terrible in pity these contraption called Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

'you Cannot Run In 2011' Obasanjo Tells Jonathan / Enugu Jails Labour Leader Over Fuel Subsidy. Why ? / What Ever Happened To Dora Akunyili And Her Rebranding Project?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.