Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,919 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:57 PM

Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? (21155 Views)

As A Husband, Or Wife, Who Will You Make Your Next Of Kin / Why You Should Be Careful In Choosing Your Next Of Kin (Photos) / Rude Awakening: I Am Not My Husband's Next Of Kin And Beneficiary!! (2) (3) (4)

Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by 50calibre(m): 6:39pm On Apr 24, 2013
lorretta u: I cannot stand the stewpidness of our Nigerian men sometimes.for the guy who says a wife has to prove herself after a period of 20yrs.I Think that's insane.and it's men like you who die in an emergency cos their wives are not signatory to their accounts.so what happens,he dies because no doctor treats wihtout deposit.I wonder what u guys take marriage for.I've seen it happen

Calm down lady, it's not stupidness, it a shrewd arrangement. You might be a good person with a kind heart but some people harbour ulterior or sinister motives in their hearts.

I've seen women killing their husbands just so they could claim his life insurance.

Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by Amigoz(f): 6:42pm On Apr 24, 2013
50calibre: A wife is allowed to be next of kin only after she has proven her worth or mettle usually after a period of 15 - 20 years. else it has to be your mum. Mums are like next to God, they never fail you.

I wonder if the OP had said the Aunt had been married for 20yrs, urs would have read after a period of 25-30yrs.

Length of the marriage should make no difference. If he wanted to he would have changed it.
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by tivta(m): 6:43pm On Apr 24, 2013
This is a very sensitive topic. I wont bash people here but will just give my own opinion. I believe my children should be my next of kin cause they will carryon my family tradition especially when my self and wife might have left earth. However my wife will hold my estate in trust till my first child reaches the age of 18. A marriage is not meant for husband and wife but for the creation of CHILDREN to carryon the dynasty.
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by kliffo(m): 6:43pm On Apr 24, 2013
Wifey of course. If something happens to you, your wife will protect your kids
interest better than any other person.

Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by dbride: 6:46pm On Apr 24, 2013
Azedplus: From my own perspective, next of kin should not just be anyone but someone who can take up responsibilty in time of the need,having a child does not mean he/she can be a next of kin.e.g a minor being use as a next of kin may not be so right in my opinion in some circumstance.

My brother you don fail exam o. You have not answered the question.
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by Ilekokonit: 6:50pm On Apr 24, 2013
50calibre
A wife is allowed to be next of kin only after she has proven her worth or mettle usually after a period of 15 - 20 years.

How many of todays fraudulent marriages will last for 10 years talk less of 15-20 years ?
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by tivta(m): 6:57pm On Apr 24, 2013
Ilekokonit:

How many of todays fraudulent marriages will last for 10 years talk less of 15-20 years ?

You have a point there. Since most women rush into marriage they also rush out. Let wait to see what the females will say.
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by Nobody: 7:00pm On Apr 24, 2013
I'm not trying to fool myself. My next of kin is God. Address; Heaven. Occupation; King of kings and Lord of lords.If anything happens to me, let them go and find God to come and sign for my assets. If they can't find Him, they remain untouched.
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by funnyx(m): 7:03pm On Apr 24, 2013
nnafather: I'm not trying to fool myself. My next of kin is God. Address; Heaven. Occupation; King of kings and Lord of lords.If anything happens to me, let them go and find God to come and sign for my assets. If they can't find Him, they remain untouched.

Lol cheesy cheesy I hope you know what a next of kin means?
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by vanstanzy(m): 7:11pm On Apr 24, 2013
kofsy: I was at my aunt's place yesterday and she told me her marriage is crumbling... She has been married for 12yrs and the marriage is blessed with three kids(2boys and a girl). Herself and her husband are having some issues as regards who should be his next of kin and who shouldn't. Before they got married, her husband had been using his immediate younger brother as his next of kin. Now that he's married, my aunt expects that to change. She said her husband ought to have changed his next of kin to their first born who is a boy and 10yrs of age. Since I'm not experienced in such, I didn't know what to say or who's side to take. Please married folks, why do you think the husband is insisting on using his younger brother as his next of kin? Do you think he has an hidden agenda? Or is he scared about the paternity of their son? My aunt is feeling insecure and they fight over it everyday.

Probably he doesn't want to use his underaged son as a next of kin yet, because he is underaged and not up to the age of maturity, according to us humans. Using the brother as a next of kin now is not bad, but he should put certain clauses in his will that makes his first born inherit whats rightfully his when he comes of age. Else!... lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by paris10: 7:13pm On Apr 24, 2013
Next of kin could be anyone. Using ones brother as a next of kin as supposed the wife is a technical issue. The brother in this sense does not automatically nullify the wife's right in claiming what is hers or the children's.

As long as there is a Will, the brother will be limited. Even without a Will, a legally married woman would inherit her husband's property and estate.
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by 50calibre(m): 7:25pm On Apr 24, 2013
paris10: Next of kin could be anyone. Using ones brother as a next of kin as supposed the wife is a technical issue. The brother in this sense does not automatically nullify the wife's right in claiming what is hers or the children's.

As long as there is a Will, the brother will be limited. Even without a Will, a legally married woman would inherit her husband's property and estate.

Yeah then they can battle in out in court and even at that, if she wins, she won't get to exercise absolute control over her husband's estate. She gets what is necessary for her not what she wants.
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by Adamo84(m): 7:37pm On Apr 24, 2013
kofsy:
Lol! He's not my hubby jor... I'm not married (he's my aunt hubby). From my own perspective I think a man"s wife should be his next of kin. But my aunt is fighting for her space in the home. God forbid, if anything happens to the hubby, his family may come and chase her out and start claiming properties And with his kind of family I know they can do it cos they don't like my aunt they never wanted their son to marry her cos she's a christain and they are muslims. Even my family don't want my aunt to marry the guy, but she insisted. Sincerely, I'm scared of these muslims o, they can do and undo when it comes to fighting over a
dead man's property; especially when they don't like the wife.
and this your Post is such bias, brainless and senseless for bringing Muslim in, them force your sister to marry Him? Instead of trashing out issues rightly, you resorted name calling, Nonsense
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by NLGwoodey: 7:39pm On Apr 24, 2013

Boy o. No let your Nigerian wife be your next-of-kin for money, or life and death matter o.

Unless she is the only child... else na her people bread you dey butter so.

Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Apr 24, 2013
i didn't care 2 read oda people's post 2 avoid being biased but if I get married, my next of kin will be my wife cos she can't afford 2 abandon my kids if am 2 be gone
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by Engineer96(m): 7:49pm On Apr 24, 2013
The next of kin for couples should be their spouse.
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by Dracula27: 7:51pm On Apr 24, 2013
On the other hand Hmmmm!! i am pulling my ear ooo!!! For your Aunty to tell you an issue like this says a lot(Considering the age and experience difference). For her to be fighting up to the point were her marriage is on the brinks says something too. This is a very unusual behavior being exhibited by the man, he man MIGHT! have his reasons.
A toad does not run in the day time for nothing.
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by foliks(f): 7:58pm On Apr 24, 2013
tellwisdom: Next of kin being the wife??---GOD FORBID angry angry...It has to be my mama or my papa angry angry

Is dat next of kin or before the kin
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by pekelepekele(m): 8:12pm On Apr 24, 2013
Let ur wife be ur next of kin and prepare to die via food poisoning

Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by zetel95(m): 8:16pm On Apr 24, 2013
kofsy: I was at my aunt's place yesterday and she told me her marriage is crumbling... She has been married for 12yrs and the marriage is blessed with three kids(2boys and a girl). Herself and her husband are having some issues as regards who should be his next of kin and who shouldn't. Before they got married, her husband had been using his immediate younger brother as his next of kin. Now that he's married, my aunt expects that to change. She said her husband ought to have changed his next of kin to their first born who is a boy and 10yrs of age. Since I'm not experienced in such, I didn't know what to say or who's side to take. Please married folks, why do you think the husband is insisting on using his younger brother as his next of kin? Do you think he has an hidden agenda? Or is he scared about the paternity of their son? My aunt is feeling insecure and they fight over it everyday.
is an inrelevant issue. As far is a blood relation, not girl friend or boy friend
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by Nogen: 8:26pm On Apr 24, 2013
Ejiuka: My Pastor or my close church brother

Akuko! SORRY IS YOUR NAME!

Women sef, that's how one lady banker who was my hubby's account officer got upset one day because he uses me as his next of kin. My husband is my next of kin and we are happy with it.
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by soledayo(m): 8:46pm On Apr 24, 2013
Amelian: Your aunt is making a huge mistake fighting about next of kin with her husband .. The more, she fights him, he will start thinking she is planning to kill him and inherit his properties or bank accounts... She should relax, talk to him subtly on why he still chose his brother when. He has children..issues like this , we use wisdom and tact in handling it... Not fight or by force.... And lastly she shud pray abt it.. And also does she have her own business? Or is she working?
Next of Kin is different from the person who inherits you. Next of kin is just a contact if the need be. You need a will to inheirt someone. people should learn this. If a man dies, banks will not give next of kin his money unless the man write a will before he dies. NEXT OF KIN IS DIFFERENT FROM INHERITOR. Ese lopolopo.
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by mbulela: 9:11pm On Apr 24, 2013
dumb question.
my wife,of course.
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by 50calibre(m): 9:15pm On Apr 24, 2013
soledayo:
Next of Kin is different from the person who inherits you. Next of kin is just a contact if the need be. You need a will to inheirt someone. people should learn this. If a man dies, banks will not give next of kin his money unless the man write a will before he dies. NEXT OF KIN IS DIFFERENT FROM INHERITOR. Ese lopolopo.

Yeah that's true but it depends on which institution the person gets used as the next of kin. Some people have many next of kins for things like banks, insurances, work, hospital etc

In the event of an emergency or death, the next of kin on paper whatever the intituitiom maybe, is the only one legally recognised and allowed to make decisions on behalf of the subject so in the absence of a will, the next of kin holds a lot of leverage.

Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by awa17(f): 9:21pm On Apr 24, 2013
butta: @kofsy this is NKan be , as far as am concerned the children should be the next of kin and not the wife. the bible has said it light and darkness should not cross path since your aunt choose to pitch her tenth in the devils den then her problem just began why should a christian lady marry a muslim man for Gods sake ? This is so wrong muslim people vex if una wan vex christian should marry christian and muslim should marry muslim ...
GBAM!!!!!!!
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by ayanfeeledumare: 9:28pm On Apr 24, 2013
Being married to a woman does not guarantee her to be a next of kin. However we need to know why a man is using his brother as the next of kin. Perhaps the woman may be too ambitious or not trustworthy. My first child is my next of kin for reasons best known to me that I can't disclose.
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by meforyou1(m): 9:28pm On Apr 24, 2013
Next of kin personal. Nobody should know who your next of kin is. But apart from next of kin, the man can write last will and testament naa. And should be secret as well
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by Oshiite: 9:29pm On Apr 24, 2013
50calibre: A wife is allowed to be next of kin only after she has proven her worth or mettle usually after a period of 15 - 20 years. else it has to be your mum. Mums are like next to God, they never fail you.
how can u use ur mum?all thlngs being equal,she is supposed to die before u, though theres no hard and fast rule about who dies first,am sure ur mum wont like that either unless she wishes u to die first and dat ur 15 to 20yrs theory is crap
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Apr 24, 2013
If u use ur parents, It only means u hope to die before them. If u use ur brother u just put ur wife and kids life in the hands of nother man making life difficult for them that's why some extended folks come and start claiming power over what they did not sow. If u don't trust a woman then why marry her?this thing dey vex me sha. Women go extra miles for men and men just act carelessly.if u like use ur grandfather na

Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by funnyx(m): 10:19pm On Apr 24, 2013
shawlay: If u use ur parents, It only means u hope to die before them. If u use ur brother u just put ur wife and kids life in the hands of nother man making life difficult for them that's why some extended folks come and start claiming power over what they did not sow. If u don't trust a woman then why marry her?this thing dey vex me sha. Women go extra miles for men and men just act carelessly.if u like use ur grandfather na

+100000 likes
Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by YemiAde3(m): 10:19pm On Apr 24, 2013
Wonderful world! She should just pray that God should protect the man so that he can take care of the children. She got married to a man whose faith can take on another wife and you expect him to put a wife as the next of kin.tell her not to even go there because very soon another woman may be introduced to her though that's not my prayer for her.

Re: Married Men: Who's Your Next Of Kin And Why? by Ontop559: 10:28pm On Apr 24, 2013
Next of kin: is like some pple dont no the function and the uses of it, its not only meant to claim properties after someone death, but its good to chose someone that its responsible and trustworthy and matured, cos any thing may happen which wil required your next of kin to sign or clear some cash even when yu're stil alive, if yu chose to pick yur wife or children its good but if yu no the type of wife or children yu hav that dey can even kill yu once they see or hear about your worth. Though it all depends in yur family yu come from cos some wife are dangerous once it comes to money. may the lord see us tru

Nigerian Couple Who Got Engaged 3 Days After They Met,celebrate 16th Anniversary / Why Men Scared Of Getting Married / Man Fakes His Career For 14 Years To Wife, Goes To Another Woman's House

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57