Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,511 members, 7,812,584 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:41 PM

UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention (22919 Views)

PICTURE: Latest Invention For Lazy Students Who Likes To Sleep In Class / Nigerian Law Graduate Makes History In The University Of Reading UK (Pictured) / A UNN Graduate Is Ahead Of You Naturally.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by RealMccoy2(m): 11:21am On Apr 24, 2013
chiover: email scams I beg to disagree bro.email scam is a global factor and the whites does it more than we blacks. I hate stereotyping, little wrongs of we Africans(Nigerians) are always blown out of proportion.contract scams are reported in thousands in Turkey bot,nobody seems to tag them as bad nation. Truth be told.the whites wants us to remain under their bondage forever and it seems you so much belief in them bros?
Those 23 peeps with Nigerian names caught in the US on credit card fraud are they from Swaziland? Defense mechanism will not change people's opinion about Nigerians.
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by CocoLoca(f): 11:32am On Apr 24, 2013
To think i could've dated Duby back then o! cry embarassed My crush! kiss

1 Like

Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by eaglechild: 11:35am On Apr 24, 2013
redcliff:

[size=14pt]LOL. You want to predict nepa's Next move with an Algorithm? I laugh in Almighty formula method. Nepa would cramp your style.[/size]
LOL! U mean to tell me the world is round?!
LOL! U can't possibly be serious about forecasting clear skies tmr?!
LOL! U are trying to say my car will run on just water??
LOL! Which stupid algorithm will make me not need telephone wires to make a phone call?
Typical lowlife mentality.

2 Likes

Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by Nobody: 11:51am On Apr 24, 2013
eaglechild:
LOL! U mean to tell me the world is round?!
LOL! U can't possibly be serious about forecasting clear skies tmr?!
LOL! U are trying to say my car will run on just water??
LOL! Which stupid algorithm will make me not need telephone wires to make a phone call?
Typical lowlife mentality.

That's not the point of what he's saying, he believes PHCN outage is random and not some systematic power shedding (true for some places that share transfomers tho)

Try and see the point before you go all cynical on someone.
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by mrperfect(m): 11:53am On Apr 24, 2013
That is a good news and a welcome development.
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by TonySpike: 11:57am On Apr 24, 2013
This guy must have used some advanced form of spatial Markov chains to develop his algorithms. I can see him talking about prediction of random states here, I can imagine the number of states he assumed to come to his conclusion. Of course, I do hope He used real Nigerian data to develop his NEPA outage algorithm. Generally, all systems (whether artificial or natural) do exhibit some form(s) of random probabilistic behaviours, which can be assumed as a singular empirical statistical model. I'll try to check out his PhD thesis to steal some ideas on some algorithms I'm developing for advanced wireless communication systems... grin grin grin
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by Nobody: 12:07pm On Apr 24, 2013
django1:

That's not the point of what he's saying, he believes PHCN outage is random and not some systematic power shedding (true for some places that share transfomers tho)

Try and see the point before you go all cynical on someone.

He is trying to say that as much as the variables in the other phenomena he mentioned are random, so are those for the nepa situation. We all know that weather parameters dont act in a linear or inverse manner, yet forecasts can be made using the right algorithms. What a lot of people here fail to see, is that it could serve as a springboard for some other inventions. No true invention is really an end in itself. As much as it may be a toughie, it is worth a try. Though I would be more interested in palliatives as the solarkobo concept. Kudos to the young chap, great thinking!

1 Like

Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by Nobody: 12:16pm On Apr 24, 2013
mekula:

He is trying to say that as much as the variables in the other phenomena he mentioned are random, so are those for the nepa situation. We all know that 1. weather parameters dont act in a linear or inverse manner, yet forecasts can be made using the right algorithms. What a lot of people here fail to see, is that it could serve as a springboard for some other 2. inventions. No true invention is really an end in itself. As much as it may be a toughie, it is worth a try. Though I would be more interested in palliatives as the solarkobo concept. Kudos to the young chap, great thinking!

1. Wrong, weather data are un linear but highly predictable.

2. I think the right term for what he's doing is "innovation".
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by thegoodjoehunt(m): 12:21pm On Apr 24, 2013
Congrats and props, this is clearly a great leader in the making. Keep tha fire burning. cool
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by biolabee(m): 12:24pm On Apr 24, 2013
bigfrancis21: Its honorary to note that Chidubem once was an active member of this forum, from 2010 and 2011. His moniker is cezeozue and he was active on the 'Preparing for the GRE' thread.

It is really inspiring to read his story. For those that are not familiar with him, I'll quickly go on to summarise his story for you.
1) He attended the University of Nigeria Nsukka where he read Electrical Engineering (my same course and school). I knew him back then in school - I was in my first year then in 2008 and he was in his final year.
2) He graduated that same year with a 4.83 CGPA. He then took the GRE exam, DICED it like some easy piece of cake and scored 800 in Quantitative, 730 in Verbal (170Q & 168V - perfect scores!).
3) In 2009 he initially applied to MIT, Cambridge and Oxford and got rejections from all 3 three universities. However, he remained undaunted. The following year he applied to 8 universities this time: MIT, Stanford, Princeton, Harvard, Caltech, UPenn, Penn State, Johns Hopkins, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison and Columbia (with mixes of M.Sc and Phd). Not only that he applied to universities but he applied to the best US engineering universities.
4) Then the rejections started coming in again despite his pristine profile cry - 6 of the universities all rejected him for admission. Stanford accepted him for admission but offered him Masters instead of the PhD he applied for and, with no funding. He seriously needed admission + funding and intently looked on to it. MIT was his only hope left. And as God would have it, MIT, of all schools, gave him admission plus the much sought-after funding he all along wanted! His joys knew no bounds. At this point he wrote to Stanford rejecting their offer shocked and afterwards he travelled out in 2011 to study.

Very inspiring story indeed.

It is also worthy to note that many years before now, another EE graduate from UNN broke records when he got accepted into the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign (The 3rd best US ECE school) to pursue his masters + funding. Before him no other Nigerian had been accepted into the ECE department of UIUC and few years after him one other Nigerian from another university followed suit. Nigerians making Nigeria proud.

This is news that warms my heart
Though this lad is of Igbo extraction, Note he is a Nigerian and for those who believe nothing good can come out of Nazareth

I am proud of you.. Live and Prosper!
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by biolabee(m): 12:29pm On Apr 24, 2013
django1:

.. NEPA may be random but i believe this algorithm is still a step in the right drirection
The uncertain aspet of it can be factored in a variable

Example Power outage = f (demand, supply, sudden usage, random factor)

That random factor can be modified to suit the Nigerian situation
Also note an invention is almost successfully preacticalised years later

Look at the Derivatives equation used in Wall Street
It was practicalised much later after it was developed

Carry GO Chidubem
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by biolabee(m): 12:31pm On Apr 24, 2013
Real-Mccoy:

Seun Osewa did nothing spectacular, he did what every business man would do at that period of time internet forum wasn't popular in Nigeria. He is not an inventor but an entrepreneur in the naija spec.

whether inventor. whether preneur.. hin don do am and I hope Seun continues to excel
why do we hate ourselves so much
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by Afritop(m): 12:31pm On Apr 24, 2013
I PRAY THAT THE FED GOVT VIA NEPA WILL NOT FRUSTRATE HIS EFFORTS because OUTWARDLY THEY WILL APPLAUD HIS INVENTION BUT INWARDLY THEY WILL TRY TO DISTRUPT IT WHICH COULD MAKE HIM LOSE FOCUS
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by ochizo(m): 12:33pm On Apr 24, 2013
Restoring the dignity of man ... Great Lions and Lionesses

By Default, a UNN graduate is ahead of u

1 Like

Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by AmeLonRo(m): 12:34pm On Apr 24, 2013
Good one bro. Keep the flag flying... wink
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by Nobody: 12:37pm On Apr 24, 2013
Real-Mccoy:

Those 23 peeps with Nigerian names caught in the US on credit card fraud are they from Swaziland? Defense mechanism will not change people's opinion about Nigerians.
truth be told bro, 23 peeps are Nigerians and you heard about the crime because Nigerians were caught. Since you reside in the state, can you state it in black and white here that Americans don't do credit fraud?? This people were the first to call us terrorist nation whereas they housed Osama Bin Laden for years before he struck. Shyts happens everywhere my brother
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by Nobody: 12:39pm On Apr 24, 2013
django1:

Please how did temperature, humidity, solar activity, rainfall distribution, Sea surface temperature e.t.c become predictable if not for some algorithms that were developed in recent years? The concept of near accurate weather forecasts has been one huge pain until the recent explosions in IT when different models were developed to simulate or map these data.
Yes innovation may be a more appropriate term for it and it is still a good one at that.

1 Like

Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by Babalegba(m): 12:49pm On Apr 24, 2013
My people and their penchant for celebrating mediocrity.blackouts in Nigeria are random and no amount of carefully calculated parameters will bring order to its prediction. An app for predicting when the Retardeen will leave office is much better
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by kekerazi(m): 12:56pm On Apr 24, 2013
[/quote][quote author=o.chizo]Restoring the dignity of man ... Great Lions and Lionesses

By Default, a UNN graduate is ahead of u
. Yes Ohh - A UNN graduate is ahead of u Naturally...
I Always thought he was in ECE not EE..I remember seeing him those Days @ the Faculty of Engineering and Also from FECA..
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by rhymz(m): 1:03pm On Apr 24, 2013
Babalegba: My people and their penchant for celebrating mediocrity.blackouts in Nigeria are random and no amount of carefully calculated parameters will bring order to its prediction. An app for predicting when the Retardeen will leave office is much better
oh please shut up, you are already green with envy.
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by eaglechild: 1:12pm On Apr 24, 2013
mekula:

Please how did temperature, humidity, solar activity, rainfall distribution, Sea surface temperature e.t.c become predictable if not for some algorithms that were developed in recent years? The concept of near accurate weather forecasts has been one huge pain until the recent explosions in IT when different models were developed to simulate or map these data.
Yes innovation may be a more appropriate term for it and it is still a good one at that.
Thank you so much.
There are very few critical thinkers.
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by cezeozue: 1:14pm On Apr 24, 2013
D-Heir Apparent:
Well, he try. Bt am not sure how this can really
Solve anything. The term erratic power supply. Means
Unpredictable. When PHCN take your light (due to faults, no gas, etc,)
PHCN themselves don't knw when it will b restored
Not to be a pessimist but, this is not
Ground breaking at all. Its just another app. I am a
Scientist myself can anyone tell me which international
Journal has publish his findings. This is just cheap publicity.
MIT is not bean ooo. Bt please come with real inventions o.

I quite agree that there's a high level of unpredictability and NepaSituation cannot hope to achieve perfect accuracy. However, there is some underlying regularity that we could exploit. Some of the non-fault-related outages are caused by load shedding. This load shedding is rarely announced by PHCN but it happens all the time. If the pattern is relatively simple, you would notice that your light goes out every, say, 6pm and returns at midnight, for instance. For more complex patterns that arise from multiple levels (transmission and distribution) of load shedding, it would take a few days to fully understand the patterns. Algorithms can easily tease apart the patterns way quicker than any human would. Another bit of regularity that the application would exploit is the level of responsiveness of the closest PHCN office. Some PHCN offices respond to faults faster than others and the expected response time is something the application could detect too. Finally, many supposedly random events in the world today fit some underlying probability distribution and with the right amount of training data, the application could exploit this distribution to provide pretty accurate expected times.

In the event that we were overly optimistic about the "predictability" of electricity outages in the development of NepaSituation, at least we now have an app that can save you the trouble of calling your barber to ask if he has light or calling your friend to know whether they have light so you could watch a premiership game with them. The app also provides a daily airtime raffle (shameless plug grin) so even if none of the above use cases fit you, at least you know where to possibly win some free airtime grin. We (I and my brother) also having a great deal of fun and challenge developing the app. It's easy for us to sit back and wonder if there's some predictability in electricity outages but it's only in doing stuff like this that I'm able to know for sure. smiley

5 Likes

Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by biolabee(m): 1:17pm On Apr 24, 2013
cezeozue:

I quite agree that there's a high level of unpredictability and NepaSituation cannot hope to achieve perfect accuracy. However, there is some underlying regularity that we could exploit. Some of the non-fault-related outages are caused by load shedding. This load shedding is rarely announced by PHCN but it happens all the time. If the pattern is relatively simple, you would notice that your light goes out every, say, 6pm and returns at midnight, for instance. For more complex patterns that arise from multiple levels (transmission and distribution) of load shedding, it would take a few days to fully understand the patterns. Algorithms can easily tease apart the patterns way quicker than any human would. Another bit of regularity that the application would exploit is the level of responsiveness of the closest PHCN office. Some PHCN offices respond to faults faster than others and the expected response time is something the application could detect too. Finally, many supposedly random events in the world today fit some underlying probability distribution and with the right amount of training data, the application could exploit this distribution to provide pretty accurate expected times.

In the event that we were overly optimistic about the "predictability" of electricity outages in the development of NepaSituation, at least we now have an app that can save you the trouble of calling your barber to ask if he has light or calling your friend to know whether they have light so you could watch a premiership game with them. The app also provides a daily airtime raffle (shameless plug grin) so even if none of the above use cases fit you, at least you know where to possibly win some free airtime grin. We (I and my brother) also having a great deal of fun and challenge developing the app. It's easy for us to sit back and wonder if there's some predictability in electricity outages but it's only in doing stuff like this that I'm able to know for sure. smiley

Dude,,, u too much

These are the same people that would have told Newton when the apple fell
Eat it wetin consign you with law of gravitation

Carry GOOO

Muppets of the order of Pull Them Down

1 Like

Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by Nobody: 1:18pm On Apr 24, 2013
More grease to ur elbow
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by cezeozue: 1:23pm On Apr 24, 2013
lordZOUGA: first of all, I'd like to say he tried but I believe this could be done better .
oh and this is not new, he probably got his idea from my post here
https://www.nairaland.com/930302/project-2012-summer-code-work

I didn't have the resources to pull it off then I posted it there hoping that developers here might help but they didn't. they started making a trivial budget system which they didn't create by the way.

First of all, those are some great ideas you have there. I'll be pleased to hear your thoughts on how we can make NepaSituation better. As for the source of the idea, sorry to disappoint but NepaSituation kinda preceded your thread by a few months: http://www.whois.com/whois/nepasituation.com grin . I've just been working on it so slowly and sporadically because of the amount of schoolwork I have to do.

2 Likes

Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by joe1975: 1:31pm On Apr 24, 2013
Please connect with manufacturers/suppliers in Nigeria online and get cheapest products at http://www.youandbuyer.com sign in today and let the world know you.
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by kekerazi(m): 1:36pm On Apr 24, 2013
[quote author=bigfrancis21]Its honorary to note that Chidubem once was an active member of this forum, from 2010 and 2011. His moniker is cezeozue and he was active on the 'Preparing for the GRE' thread.

It is really inspiring to read his story. For those that are not familiar with him, I'll quickly go on to summarise his story for you.
1) He attended the University of Nigeria Nsukka where he read Electrical Engineering (my same course and school). I knew him back then in school - I was in my first year then in 2008 and he was in his final year.

Bigfrancis21 I also was in my first year when dubi was in his Final year.He was the President of BKADD- Better Keep All designs Digital..Was in Mechanical Engr..
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by TonySpike: 1:50pm On Apr 24, 2013
cezeozue:

Your knowledge on this app tells me you developed it. Nice job!
By the way, Where's your PhD thesis, abeg?
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by Nobody: 1:51pm On Apr 24, 2013
Well done
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by lordZOUGA(m): 2:11pm On Apr 24, 2013
cezeozue:

First of all, those are some great ideas you have there. I'll be pleased to hear your thoughts on how we can make NepaSituation better. As for the source of the idea, sorry to disappoint but NepaSituation kinda preceded your thread by a few months: http://www.whois.com/whois/nepasituation.com grin . I've just been working on it so slowly and sporadically because of the amount of schoolwork I have to do.
Oh.. alright. that's cool.
what platform is this app built for? there seems to be no mention of it on this thread.
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by bigfrancis21: 2:18pm On Apr 24, 2013
kekerazi:
Bigfrancis21 I also was in my first year when dubi
was in his Final year.He was the President of
BKADD- Better Keep All designs Digital..Was in
Mechanical Engr..

I guess you're of the graduating class of 2012, right? I realize I may know you.
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by dgitrader(m): 2:38pm On Apr 24, 2013
[size=23pt]3 pages now i still cant see what is GROUNDBREAKING INVENTION[/size]

anyway, kudos to his rare resillience, determination and educational strides. The sky is ur linit bro, Google is the best company to work for globally, make d best of it, and inspire millions of african youths. KUDOS!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

ASUU Strike Has Increased Prostitution, Group Alleges / JAMB Withdraws 2016 Admission Lists Sent To Universities, Others / DOWNLOAD THE FULL PTDF SCHOLARSHIP PAST QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS HERE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.