Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,452 members, 7,823,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention (22935 Views)

PICTURE: Latest Invention For Lazy Students Who Likes To Sleep In Class / Nigerian Law Graduate Makes History In The University Of Reading UK (Pictured) / A UNN Graduate Is Ahead Of You Naturally.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by dgitrader(m): 2:46pm On Apr 24, 2013
Wheres the app oh, let us download and play our expected part. Thunder fire PHCN.

1 Like

Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by ManOfThePeople(m): 2:48pm On Apr 24, 2013
pendusky: Our Leaders wont see this guys and develop them...instead they wld want to pay huge to bring zuckerberg and bill gate to Naija

How will they develop our talents? All those leaders wey dem don swear for.

1 Like

Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by cezeozue: 2:52pm On Apr 24, 2013
lordZOUGA:
Oh.. alright. that's cool.
what platform is this app built for? there seems to be no mention of it on this thread.

Platforms: We have a web app that, hopefully, should display properly on most mobile phones as well. We also have a BlackBerry app that should work on BlackBerry 5 and 6, at least. Finally, we also have a Java ME app for Nokia Series 40 phones et al.

2 Likes

Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by Sunbellar: 3:00pm On Apr 24, 2013
Kudos to my fellow super powertron and super lion. More power to your elbow. We re almost there!
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by joshneku: 3:22pm On Apr 24, 2013
kudos my brother. Tank God dat despite the okpa nsukka we all ate Super Lions are achieving great things. Hail Versity of Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by luluosas(m): 3:26pm On Apr 24, 2013
Wonderful
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by Nobody: 3:45pm On Apr 24, 2013
congrats to you bro...you have made everyone on nairaland including me very proud....this is a very big lesson to every intelligent nigerians out there....naija is not the environment and will never be for scientific inventions like this to materialize....the society does not encourage science....migrate to where you will be appreciated....einsten did same, after his demise to this day he remains a legend.
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by Tinkybabe(f): 4:11pm On Apr 24, 2013
Wow!Phenomenal!bless him
And he was a nairalander?
Now who says nothing good can come out of nairaland..watch out for this babe too wink
Welldone Chidube.
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by proudlysports: 4:12pm On Apr 24, 2013
cezeozue:

Platforms: We have a web app that, hopefully, should display properly on most mobile phones as well. We also have a BlackBerry app that should work on BlackBerry 5 and 6, at least. Finally, we also have a Java ME app for Nokia Series 40 phones et al.
Have you tested the algorithm? Results?
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by otokx(m): 4:16pm On Apr 24, 2013
Nice idea but quite elementary and too theoretical, you cannot predict power outtage in Nigeria.
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by cezeozue: 4:17pm On Apr 24, 2013
proudlysports:
Have you tested the algorithm? Results?

No, not really. It's hard to test without data which is why I'm trying to generate as much traction as possible. Also, what we have running in the back is a rather simple but intuitive algorithm. There are much cooler things we could do once we have sufficient training data.

The apps themselves work as far as we have tested but a bug report is always welcome.
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by lordZOUGA(m): 4:24pm On Apr 24, 2013
cezeozue:

if there is a prototype, where is it? have you tested it? what is the accuracy of its prediction (%)? and then you used j2me. why? it does not make nice apps. you could have fared better with html5.
you probably realize that for this application to make a trustworthy prediction in a given area, it might have to gather data on that place for weeks.
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by Nobody: 4:26pm On Apr 24, 2013
...very impressive and innovative.
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by proudlysports: 4:35pm On Apr 24, 2013
cezeozue:

No, not really. It's hard to test without data which is why I'm trying to generate as much traction as possible. Also, what we have running in the back is a rather simple but intuitive algorithm. There are much cooler things we could do once we have sufficient training data.

The apps themselves work as far as we have tested but a bug report is always welcome.
That's why I asked cos I know ANN's can be garbage in garbage out cheesy (I'm assuming you are planning on using ANN?)

So are the apps for gathering data then? At least for now till you have sufficient training and testing data? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. Just trying to understand the whole thing.

Kudos on the idea though. I wish you all the best. I know how difficult getting reliable data can be.
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by cezeozue: 4:55pm On Apr 24, 2013
lordZOUGA:
if there is a prototype, where is it? have you tested it? what is the accuracy of its prediction (%)? and then you used j2me. why? it does not make nice apps. you could have fared better with html5.
you probably realize that for this application to make a trustworthy prediction in a given area, it might have to gather data on that place for weeks.

You can access the apps by visiting www.nepasituation.com from your web browser or appropriate mobile device. As for the choice of supporting Java ME, it was less an decision about the ease of making nice apps and more a decision about the popularity of the platform in Nigeria. This old report could give you a sense of our thoughts around the time we made the platform decisions: http://business.opera.com/smw/2011/05/
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by cezeozue: 5:01pm On Apr 24, 2013
proudlysports:
That's why I asked cos I know ANN's can be garbage in garbage out cheesy (I'm assuming you are planning on using ANN?)

So are the apps for gathering data then? At least for now till you have sufficient training and testing data? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. Just trying to understand the whole thing.

Kudos on the idea though. I wish you all the best. I know how difficult getting reliable data can be.

There are other machine learning algorithms that may be better suited (than ANNs) to the data representation we would use. The apps currently allow you make a report, perform a search for the current state of things at a particular location and provide a prediction on the state of things in your search results using the simple algorithm I earlier referred to. The web app is a little more fully-featured and provides a map view for the reports and gives an aggregate perspective on the state of things, useful, perhaps for holding the government accountable. It's better experienced than described so you should try it out: www.nepasituation.com smiley And let me know what you think afterwards.
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by jaysticks: 5:07pm On Apr 24, 2013
congrats ......hail varsity of Nigeria! many of us will join u some day grin

1 Like

Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by proudlysports: 5:08pm On Apr 24, 2013
Thanks for taking time to explain.
I'm on the page now.
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by Jarus(m): 5:17pm On Apr 24, 2013
Congrats man.
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by Nobody: 5:35pm On Apr 24, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Its honorary to note that Chidubem once was an active member of this forum, from 2010 and 2011. His moniker is cezeozue and he was active on the 'Preparing for the GRE' thread.

ITS WORTHY TO NOTE HERE THAT LIKE MOST FOCUSED INDIVIDUALS IT WAS WHEN HE STOPPED BEING AN ACTIVE MEMBER OF THIS BONEHEADED FORUM THAT WAS WHEN HE HE WAS ABLE TO MAKE SOMETHING OF HIMSELF. cool
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by BankuTilapia: 5:37pm On Apr 24, 2013
So where is da ground breaking invention, nigerians and loudmouthing cheesy grin cheesy
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by othenok(f): 6:18pm On Apr 24, 2013
Well done, Chidube!
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by bigfrancis21: 6:24pm On Apr 24, 2013
Babzilla:

ITS WORTHY TO NOTE HERE THAT LIKE MOST FOCUSED INDIVIDUALS IT WAS WHEN HE STOPPED BEING AN ACTIVE MEMBER OF THIS BONEHEADED FORUM THAT WAS WHEN HE HE WAS ABLE TO MAKE SOMETHING OF HIMSELF. cool
grin grin grin
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by Nobody: 6:25pm On Apr 24, 2013
Where's Rossik, let him tell me why govt wont sponsor this champ. Before you know it this dude is lost to the whites,and the brain drain continues...too sad

Thumbs up,man!
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by SonOfEl(m): 6:42pm On Apr 24, 2013
Great lion...doing great things....keep it up bro...hail varsity of naijiria, my almamater...

2 Likes

Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by josite: 6:53pm On Apr 24, 2013
I dey laugh o.invention that can predict when nepa go strike u.
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by gracious11(f): 7:24pm On Apr 24, 2013
There is still hope for our country Nigeria. nice

1 Like

Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by graphicsplay: 7:33pm On Apr 24, 2013
pulel: This is the kind of news i love to hear. God bless nigerian and all nigerians.

BH and others who r destroying this country in d name of whatever is going on in their heads should rather strive to make nigerians' life better through some meaninful inventions like this young man. Instead of wasting innocent lifes for stupid reasons.

BH ENGINEERS grin UNDER A SERENE ATMOSPHERE CAN MANUFACTURE BOMBS FOR EXPORT (AT LEAST TO COUNTRIES LIKE GAMBIA AND ZIMBABWE) THUS IMPROVING THE EXPORT SITUATION OF THIS COUNTRY. grin grin. MAY ALLAH TRANSFORM THEM BY THE RENEWAL OF THEIR MISGUIDED AND VIOLENT MINDS
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by Nobody: 7:37pm On Apr 24, 2013
UP ESUTITIES
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by jawjaw1: 7:41pm On Apr 24, 2013
Anytime I read such news I get a conflict of feelings.
First one of joy and the second of sadness.
The feeling of joy comes from the fact that a Nigerian youth is maximizing his potential and proving his worth to the world.
The feeling of sadness comes from the fact that there are many more of his like that are in Nigeria hoping and begging for the opportunity but to no avail.
We need to find a way to make Nigerians know that ideas rule the world. The most successful businesses in the world were built on ideas and are being sustained by newer ideas everyday e.g Google, Apple, Samsung, Facebook, Twitter, Microsoft, Toyota, Honda, Ford, Mercedes Benz etc.

We need to get Nigerians to understand that you can be rich and successful by simply thinking of new and better ways of doing things. We need to change Nigeria to an idea driven society. A society where the people try to outdo one another with better ideas. A place where the people realize that I can be richer and more successful by thinking and implementing my great ideas than being in a government position of seeking political office. I tell you if the thinking revolution starts in Nigeria, the country will explode with ideas and inventions that will grow will leaps and bounds that are unimaginable.

Unfortunately, that is not the case today. The opportunity for those who have ideas are not even available. Worst of all is that most of our leaders cant even think themselves let alone inspire confidence in those who need to think. Its a pity!
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by pekelepekele(m): 8:23pm On Apr 24, 2013
wow guud
Re: UNN Graduate Makes Groundbreaking Invention by dont8(m): 9:03pm On Apr 24, 2013
Great news, keep it up bro cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

ASUU Strike Has Increased Prostitution, Group Alleges / NASU, SSANU Declare Strike Over IPPIS / 30 Haunting Photos Of People Right Before Their Deaths continued from page 4.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.