Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,829 members, 7,831,693 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 02:02 AM

When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You (12906 Views)

Photo: What Would You Do If You Came Home And Saw Your Child Like This!! / Isn't This Strange? / Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by proudlysports: 4:53pm On Apr 23, 2013
Asides the parent, there is also a big responsibility for the teacher. I know it be hard for teachers who have about 20 pupils to look after and that's why I would recommend a private tutor for the OP.

I remember when I used to do on on one tutoring. The first thing I realized back then was that students have different ways and levels of learning. I used to teach maths and related courses back then and I know that whilst some students would grasp things in a few minutes, others would need more than two lessons to grasp the same thing. More importantly, the way I passed the 'message' was also very important. When you are teaching a student, you want to relate the figures with visual objects the student can see and most times (for little kids) visual objects the student liked! So I used sweets to teach addition and sharing of sweets amongst my student and her best friend to teach division and so on.

Finally, the cajoling will work too especially when the child doesn't see the need for all the 'pressure mummy is putting on me'. Where necessary, bribe with extra time watching TV or a slice of cake and when necessary, threaten to report to daddy cheesy. Whatever will work. Whatever you do, don't let the child believe maths (or whatever the subject) is hard!

Overall, recognize that children are different and learn at different rates.

1 Like

Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by obi123: 4:55pm On Apr 23, 2013
yuzedo:
FUNNIEST SHITTT I'VE READ THIS YEAR..... LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! **real tears** grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

as in eh , cant stop laughing
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 4:55pm On Apr 23, 2013
biolabee:

LOL at jaguda ..cheesy

ol boy our dad was some old school pa.. imma whoop your azz
but that was the older gen - buuku or nada mehn...cheesy
there are newer techniques of imparting knowlege

Some kids may not just be cut out academically

True....But I just dont buy dyslexia and all that crap.

Growing up, I was only allowed to watch TV on weekends.

Though I went really wild in my teenage years, I feel that stripping out television/video-games at an early age drove me to find entertainment in books.

Kids these days watch too much telly and play too much xbox for their own good.

Telly rots the brain.
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by logica(m): 4:56pm On Apr 23, 2013
Parents that are overly competitive and expect too much from their children are the worst kind.
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 4:56pm On Apr 23, 2013
biolabee:

LOL at jaguda ..cheesy

ol boy our dad was some old school pa.. imma whoop your azz
but that was the older gen - buuku or nada mehn...cheesy
there are newer techniques of imparting knowlege

Some kids may not just be cut out academically

That's just like my brother... He isn't the most gifted academically, but when it comes to oratory skills and problem solving - this guy is a genius... He can literally turn "water" to "wine" with his mouth and hands...

People just put too much emphasis on academics and the linear garbage in, garbage out nonsense - there's more to life than just regurgitating what some people wrote down in textbooks and all... Been there, excelled, and it's just "so so" to me..
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by biolabee(m): 4:56pm On Apr 23, 2013
yuzedo: Man! I wonder how family friends feel. You see the parents, handsome husband, beautiful wife, and the kid(s) look like regurgitated amala! grin grin I dey always suspect away match with Landlord, Neighbour or Ancestral Spirit! cheesy

Same applies to intelligence. I start wondering who the child took after mentally. Most often na the mama dey pass on that gene! grin grin lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

haba.. conspiracy theorist tongue

na so dem talk of the Albert Einstein o

In the recollections of the family recorded by Einstein’s younger sister, Maja, in 1924, Albert appears as a calm, dreamy, slow, but self-assured and determined child. Another three decades later, Einstein himself told his biographer, Carl Seelig, that “my parents were worried because I started to talk comparatively late, and they consulted a doctor because of it.”

As a matter of fact, the boy was, and remained, a reluctant talker for quite some years, and, until the age of about seven, used to repeat his sentences to himself softly, a habit which contributed to the impression he might be somewhat dull.

In his later years, Einstein repeatedly pointed out that memorizing words, texts, and names caused him considerable difficulties. Yet, if one regards the pupil’s alleged “learning disability” in the context of his distaste for the teaching style which he experienced as military drill, and of his own mental preoccupations, then a psychological block seems a much more plausible explanation than medical “dyslexia”. Moreover, not only did Albert advance from grade to grade without having to repeat a grade, even in the subject of Greek – with which an unsympathetic teacher predicted that he would never get anywhere - Albert received final marks of 2 out of 4, with 1 as the highest mark.

Read more : http://www.albert-einstein.org/article_handicap.html
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by biolabee(m): 5:00pm On Apr 23, 2013
jackbauerspower:

True....But I just dont buy dyslexia and all that crap.

Growing up, I was only allowed to watch TV on weekends.

Though I went really wild in my teenage years, I feel that stripping out television/video-games at an early age drove me to find entertainment in books.

Kids these days watch too much telly and play too much xbox for their own good.

Telly rots the brain.

bros it exists.... but i agree kids needs some form of push but more importantly they need to be observed for their latent abilities which at times are more financially and personally more rewarding than intellectual routes

ShyM-X:

That's just like my brother... He isn't the most gifted academically, but when it comes to oratory skills and problem solving - this guy is a genius... He can literally turn "water" to "wine" with his mouth and hands...

People just put too much emphasis on academics and the linear garbage in, garbage out nonsense - there's more to life than just regurgitating what some people wrote down in textbooks and all... Been there, excelled, and it's just "so so" to me..

True... see wole soyinka a prof based on his laureate

Shakespeare is a literary genius and people study him yet did he follow the formal education we do nowadays
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by obi123: 5:02pm On Apr 23, 2013
report card day , on seeing my second or third position , this is my dad , looking directly at me oh ,report card in hand ,unu afukwa!!(can you people see), how can an orange tree bear guava fruit eh ? in a very "i wonder" tone, like he is waiting for someone to tell him how it is possible and if it is indeed possible , i will stand there by the door not knowing whether to reply, thinking is this a trick question or should i run because i'm not sure of his next move.
Kai he tormented me into knowing book that man, i love him dearly
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by lastpage: 5:13pm On Apr 23, 2013
Emmm.... if my pikin no sharp-sharp like me?

Well, l go say; Na your Mama you resemble! grin grin grin grin

But if im sharp-sharp pass me, l go say: You come combine my "sense" with that of my own Papa! You dis boy sef! shocked shocked shocked

(help, im Mama don hammer me pot for head as l dey type this reply!)

Lastpage!
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 5:13pm On Apr 23, 2013
biolabee:
True... see wole soyinka a prof based on his laureate

Shakespeare is a literary genius and people study him yet did he follow the formal education we do nowadays

Exactly!!

I believe Wole Soyinka got a 3rd class degree at uni, or something - yet he still went on to achieve greatness... The same goes for William Shakespeare(a guy who single-handedly changed the English language forever)...

As you grow older and get into the real world, you start getting a clearer picture of how academic intelligence is overrated... It's only suited for the four walls of the classroom, to be honest... Bill gates also wasn't the smartest kid on the block in school - the same for Winston Churchill and a lot of legendary people who achieved greatness...

1 Like

Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by baby124: 5:20pm On Apr 23, 2013
Lmao, na wa o. See how everyone's parents beat them into submission. My only challenge was maths, and my dad was a math's genius but he had me late. When I was in primary school he was too busy to go through books with me. The guy will just call me "Baby, did you pass?". I will say yes! He will just say "Ok, am buying you a gift". Lmao, without asking my position. As long as I "passed", that was enough. Funny thing is I never came less than 5th. Absolutely with no supervision or beating. grin. And I went on to do well in math's teaching myself. I wonder what I would have become of he beat me. He did torture my older ones though. grin
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 5:25pm On Apr 23, 2013
baby_123: Lmao, na wa o. See how everyone's parents beat them into submission. My only challenge was maths, and my dad was a math's genius but he had me late. When I was in primary school he was too busy to go through books with me. The guy will just call me "Baby, did you pass?". I will say yes! He will just say "Ok, am buying you a gift". Lmao, without asking my position. As long as I "passed", that was enough. Funny thing is I never came less than 5th. Absolutely with no supervision or beating. grin. And I went on to do well in math's teaching myself. I wonder what I would have become of he beat me. He did torture my older ones though. grin

Maths? shocked shocked - that's the easiest subject!!! grin
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by biolabee(m): 5:32pm On Apr 23, 2013
ShyM-X:

Exactly!!

I believe Wole Soyinka got a 3rd class degree at uni, or something - yet he still went on to achieve greatness... The same goes for William Shakespeare(a guy who single-handedly changed the English language forever)...

As you grow older and get into the real world, you start getting a clearer picture of how academic intelligence is overrated... It's only suited for the four walls of the classroom, to be honest... Bill gates also wasn't the smartest kid on the block in school - the same for Winston Churchill and a lot of legendary people who achieved greatness...

GBAM!!

we should focus on emotional intelligence, building networking and social skills also as part of children's total development
even nerds like Mark Z still required Archer to sell his business to the Silicon Valley angels
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by baby124: 5:36pm On Apr 23, 2013
ShyM-X:

Maths? shocked shocked - that's the easiest subject!!! grin

Yea, maths was this complicated puzzle truely a waste of time. I think though, most math teachers may know the subject but don't know how to teach the material to the child's understanding. When I got better teacher's, I understood. The fastest way for me to fail was to get a lesson teacher. It killed my confidence I think. I learn better on my own, maybe that was something my dad knew at the time. I will rather be watching the lesson teacher and day dreaming than absorbing what they are saying. All kids are different sha. My math lesson teacher's were always strange, with suspicious eyes. cheesy
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 5:39pm On Apr 23, 2013
biolabee:

GBAM!!

we should focus on emotional intelligence, building networking and social skills also as part of children's total development
even nerds like Mark Z still required Archer to sell his business to the Silicon Valley angels

Word! - that's why most people are stuck in working a job for the rest of their lives... Most don't even know how to create wealth despite their academic exuberance and tons of qualifications... I'd give all that up, for the ability to create wealth - and problem solving in the real world...

Academics itself is just an aspect of education...

1 Like

Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by CyberG: 5:48pm On Apr 23, 2013
biolabee:

Interestingly i agree with you on the eval of the child to help identify latent abilities which a parent would not be able to adjudge

Parents shd not look at a child with the same eyes
Some children are not meant to be book genuises like their parents are
Some kids develop late and have interest in other things that their parent dont care about

If Leonardo da Vinci's parent had stifled his creativity, we would not have his drawings today
Ditto Bill Gates who left school to pursue his dream
Wole Soyinka was adjudged third class and yet hes a Nobel Laureate
Tolu Elumelu founded a modern financial empire

Some people are latent genius but dyslexic and supposed cant read (but they do in their own way)

This is an illustrious list of people who im sure would have been found puzzling by their parents and peers in the growing days
If dyslexia is key to being in this group, maybe its not a bad thing to have cheesy

You are probably not smart enough or read about Bill Gates to even have put him in your post. I hate to say it but don't be silly: Billion Gates was far too smart that it was a waste of time to have to study Computer Science for 4 years in Harvard!! Do you have a clue scores you need to even be admitted into Harvard or study computer science where your maths skills (further maths) must be way higher than average? Don't ridicule yourself with ignorance.
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 5:50pm On Apr 23, 2013
biolabee:

GBAM!!

I agree. The current mainstream education model is outdated. I remember sitting through trigonometry thinking "why am I learning this today?" undecided

Skimmed through the story again and the little girls teacher said she day-dreams in class. This little girl will be fine if her mind continues to takes her elsewhere. Maybe she is thinking of flowers or the sky. It's a romantic thought, but I guess I am not her mother.
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by CyberG: 5:52pm On Apr 23, 2013
biolabee:

Interestingly i agree with you on the eval of the child to help identify latent abilities which a parent would not be able to adjudge

Parents shd not look at a child with the same eyes
Some children are not meant to be book genuises like their parents are
Some kids develop late and have interest in other things that their parent dont care about

If Leonardo da Vinci's parent had stifled his creativity, we would not have his drawings today
Ditto Bill Gates who left school to pursue his dream
Wole Soyinka was adjudged third class and yet hes a Nobel Laureate
Tolu Elumelu founded a modern financial empire

Some people are latent genius but dyslexic and supposed cant read (but they do in their own way)

This is an illustrious list of people who im sure would have been found puzzling by their parents and peers in the growing days
If dyslexia is key to being in this group, maybe its not a bad thing to have cheesy

You are probably not smart enough or read about Bill Gates to even have put him in your post. I hate to say it but don't be silly: Billion Gates was far too smart that it was a waste of time to have to study Computer Science for 4 years in Harvard!! Do you have a clue scores you need to even be admitted into Harvard or study computer science where your maths skills (further maths) must be way higher than average? Don't ridicule yourself with ignorance.
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by stitcheD(m): 6:09pm On Apr 23, 2013
simdam500: Cant read it all! But to make a say... Let remember change is constant, anybody can change anytime, anyhow. Myself was not brilliant too, but facin humiliation from friends and teachers even disgrace attimes made me grow up... So i wont be suprise if ma child is not brilliant as i am... Smh *wat bout d mother*
Iti mpathaka
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by CyberG: 6:09pm On Apr 23, 2013
Continuing from previous post...here are just pieces of information gleaned from the internet with references for your further reading. I am not sure you ever wrote any non-Nigerian exam but for those who wrote SAT, how many scored 1590 / 1600? That is 99.4%! That exam was most likely maths and English, does that sound like a person who dropped out of school because he was intellectually deficient? FYI, I wrote that same exam after high school, went on to study one of the best courses in one of Nigeria's best universities and building a career that I completely love and paid well, yet I am not in even the middle of my career yet! My point, remove people like Gates, Soyinka, etc who are way too bright to be struggling to obtain a degree in order to just barely feed themselves!

===

Gates graduated from Lakeside School in 1973. He scored 1590 out of 1600 on the SAT[27] and enrolled at Harvard College in the autumn of 1973.[28] While at Harvard, he met Steve Ballmer, who later succeeded Gates as CEO of Microsoft.
The Poker Room in Currier House at Harvard University, where Gates and Allen formed Microsoft

In his sophomore year, Gates devised an algorithm for pancake sorting as a solution to one of a series of unsolved problems[29] presented in a combinatorics class by Harry Lewis, one of his professors. Gates's solution held the record as the fastest version for over thirty years;[29][30] its successor is faster by only one percent.[29] His solution was later formalized in a published paper in collaboration with Harvard computer scientist Christos Papadimitriou.[31]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Gates

Bill Gates was born on October 28, 1955. He was born into a family with a rich history of business, politics, and community service. Gates’ great-grandfather was the state legislator and mayor, and Gates’ grandfather was the vice-president for the national bank. William H. Gates, Bill Gates’ father, was the prominent, Seattle defensive lawyer. Mary Maxwell Gates, Bill Gates’ mother, was the school teacher and the chairperson for the United Way Charity.

During his elementary school life, he surpassed all of his classmates, especially in Science and Math. As soon as his parents noticed his intelligence, they enrolled Gates to Lakeside School, private school. This school was known for its intense academic environment. Also this school first introduced Gates to the computers. Bill Gates said, “When I was thirteen, my school (Lakeside School) installed a teletype machine that connected in downtown Seattle. From that point on, my friends and I spent most of our free time writing programs and figuring out how to make the computer do interesting things.”

Source: http://greatleaders.freewebspace.com/index_1.html
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by frankkky: 6:13pm On Apr 23, 2013
@poster i can feel your pains and fear but dont worry yourself,everything will work out for the best,you will be amazed when this same child starts performing academic expoloits
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by salt1: 6:14pm On Apr 23, 2013
I used to worry like that over my children until I nearly lost one to ill-health. Thank God she survived. I learnt a valuable lesson: the best my child can offer me is to be there for me.
I don't ask any child to be the best but to try her best. My role is to give every assistance, including helping a child manage failure. It's tough on a child too

2 Likes

Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by biolabee(m): 6:22pm On Apr 23, 2013
CyberG:

The point is that academic intelligence is not the measure of a man

Remember bill is known as a computing genius but even more so of innovating a business idea put forward by steve jobs, wozniak and co

A pc for everyone with my software on it
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by biolabee(m): 6:26pm On Apr 23, 2013
Flytefalls:
I agree. The current mainstream education model is outdated. I remember sitting through trigonometry thinking "why am I learning this today?" undecided

Skimmed through the story again and the little girls teacher said she day-dreams in class. This little girl will be fine if her mind continues to takes her elsewhere. Maybe she is thinking of flowers or the sky. It's a romantic thought, but I guess I am not her mother.

True.. She may even be a fledging film director like the lady that directed the hurt locker or an artist or composer
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by biolabee(m): 6:41pm On Apr 23, 2013
ShyM-X:

Word! - that's why most people are stuck in working a job for the rest of their lives... Most don't even know how to create wealth despite their academic exuberance and tons of qualifications... I'd give all that up, for the ability to create wealth - and problem solving in the real world...

Academics itself is just an aspect of education...

tragic but true....
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Chibykeze: 7:12pm On Apr 23, 2013
:oNa garri cos am undecidedNa garri cos am
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Chibykeze: 7:13pm On Apr 23, 2013
:oNa garri cos am undecidedNa garri cos am lipsrsealed :oNa garri cos am undecidedNa garri cos am
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Ama28(f): 7:18pm On Apr 23, 2013
Dear parents, I want to start by appreciating the effort and sacrifices you put up with raising these special children, it is not easy!

I will write from my experience in educational pedagogy (special education)
When you ran an intelligent test on a child, it contains two parts, the numerical and dexterity. A child scores higher on numerical ability than dexterity. A child with special needs will score higher in dexterity than the other kids!

There are children who might be at the middle of this scale when u run such test!
The thing is you are judging and measuring this children with others on the wrong scale! Remember the supposed normal children are at advantage here but if you run such test in dexterity, your child will beat the other kids!

WAY FORWARD:
Do look for a special school and enrol your kid so that you can identify and develop her dexterity.
Their kind of learning is pupil centered its a teacher to a pupil and not the reverse.
You as a parent must cultivate patience and appreciate your child all the way.

Hope I was helpful
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Pimples(m): 7:21pm On Apr 23, 2013
cashflowpc:

Seconded!

Solar energy can boost your return on investment,
Follow my signature to know how

Nice product u've got. Esp considering the power situation in Nigeria.
But as is commonly said, MODERATION IS THE KEY.
When u over use your advert, it makes it look common thus, making it lose value
We will not all migrate to solar in one day.

@ Topic,
I will always hammer from a very tender age to my child...my expectations. So that he or she will no that anything below that is unacceptable
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by destino24(m): 7:26pm On Apr 23, 2013
it could be autism. a psych evaluation would really help
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by coogar: 8:00pm On Apr 23, 2013
Flytefalls: What would you do? We humans often love to brag about our accomplishments, but what happens when your biggest and proudest achievement(s) doesn't fair so well compared to his/her peers? Is it so bad?

I was reading the following article about one woman's experience and someone commented "The world will always need check-out assistants" angry grin. Share your thoughts smiley

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/apr/22/why-isnt-my-child-clever-as-me

it would kill me if my child is slow amongst her peers!
this is one of the reasons i have never been an advocate of divorce. children raised by single moms are more likely to be dumber than the ones raised by single dads and ultimately, they are way slower than the kids raised in the normal family unit.
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by biolabee(m): 8:01pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:

it would kill me if my child is slow amongst her peers!
this is one of the reasons i have never been an advocate of divorce. children raised by single moms are more likely to be dumber than the ones raised by single dads and ultimately, they are way slower than the kids raised in the normal family unit.

true... unstable family arrangements causes disruptions for a child's development

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Extramarital Affairs Gone Wrong! A Comrade Has Fallen! / Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? / Males Been Raped!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.