Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,051 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom (15408 Views)

Steps To Owning A Pharmacy In Nigeria / Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by acidtalk: 11:21am On Apr 24, 2013
Shifiunited: Imagine this forum is full of educative thread like this, not......

Please if you are looking for very Educative threads spanning all facet of life I will advice you go through my previous threads, I promise you, you will not regret it but only return to thank me.
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by NOIBMUUL(m): 11:22am On Apr 24, 2013
The fastest way money can disappear from a man is through a lady. If a man can cut down on the number of ladies he has, he will have enough.

How do we cut down? undecided
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by CocoLoca(f): 11:31am On Apr 24, 2013
acidtalk: * Never Buy things because they are in vogue : There's always a newer version of every phone, tablet, Laptop, car, wristwatch, hand bag, jewellery you buy. If you have a blackberry bold 4 that is working perfectly, why want to buy a Bold 5, 6, touch 1,2 and 3 Z10 and iphone 5 just to prove to people you are a big boy or girl.

Don't forget those people producing these things keep producing the same thing (with extremely few changes) just to remain in business, pay staff and make profit. Using a phone for a whole year or more doesn't make you less of a successful person.

Have you noticed that most employees use phones far more expensive than their employers? Does is now prove they are more successful than their employers? The answer is NO!

Most people acquire things thinking they can get respect and honor from it whereas a successful person let's his/her her bank statement, investment and connection speak for them.

* Never always be the one to foot the bills when you go outing with friends : I learned this a very long time ago. When you go out socializing with friends never be the one to always foot the bill. It is always better to have an agreement with everyone that each person should pay for whatever they ordered. It doesn't make you stingy or callous, it only means you are financially intelligent. You will be amazed to discover that so many people never get to eat or drink as much or expensive when they are being for it by themselves. A guy who averagely drinks 5 FREE bottles of beer will only order for one and sip on it for over 2 hours when he knows he is the one to pay for his drink.
Sooooo true! +1000000
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by alonso2214(m): 11:31am On Apr 24, 2013
Keep the good wrk going on these thread.
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by vivaciousvivi(f): 11:33am On Apr 24, 2013
Thanks so much. Learnt a lot from this.
However, I learnt very recently from Yahoo News that having multiple bank accounts make u spend more. So there is a paradox somewhere! undecided
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by JojoArmani(m): 11:37am On Apr 24, 2013
wow......... Is been long I read an educative write ups like dis from dis forum especially from acidtalk. Keep it up. Correction and less expenses mode fully activated. Saving Loadin........
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by Nobody: 11:37am On Apr 24, 2013
Thanks a lot, acid.

This topic did justice to my nights of sleeplessness over how to save for what and when. And how come I never thought about teaching my son how to save?

In short, take a hug!

1 Like

Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by kandiikane(m): 11:39am On Apr 24, 2013
I need this. I am very bad with finances.
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by acidtalk: 11:41am On Apr 24, 2013
vivacious vivi: Thanks so much. Learnt a lot from this.
However, I learnt very recently from Yahoo News that having multiple bank accounts make u spend more. So there is a paradox somewhere! undecided

That's if you have multiple bank accounts with multiple atm cards and credit cards.

Please go bank and read my instructions of owning 3 bank accounts and what each represent.

I have at 7 naira accounts (Savings,Current, and Corporate) and 3 dormiciliary account but let me tell you what will surprise you. I DON'T HAVE AN ATM CARD and HAVE NEVER DONE INTERNET BANKING.

When I still used atm cards like 4years ago, at times I discovered I was spending up to N40,000 a week on things I couldn't even account for. Now any money I don't have in my wallet or bed drawer then I am sorry I can't dish out. Immediately I have cash in hand, I am never at rest until I take the little I need and go dump the rest in the bank.

2 Likes

Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by MichBelluchi(m): 11:42am On Apr 24, 2013
@ OP that's quite Inspiring..thanks.
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by acidtalk: 11:43am On Apr 24, 2013
mollytinrox: Thanks a lot, acid.

This topic did justice to my nights of sleeplessness over how to save for what and when. And how come I never thought about teaching my son how to save?

In short, take a hug!

Support the hug with a bottle of shepe joh! Make men high this morning.

As per your son, it is better late than never. My dad was a spend trift and free giver but later on in life, I learned quite a lot from him on money management and he learned from me too.
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by Omokaro2acca: 12:18pm On Apr 24, 2013
The interest rate of savings a/c in Nigeria is not encouraging saving culture at all. I save 200K. And wen I saw what is coming from that a/c. I grew angry and spent the money carelessly.
We should rather invest than save money.

2 Likes

Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by hohafrank(m): 12:23pm On Apr 24, 2013
acidtalk, God bless you for this write up.I was a victim of being used by friends and relatives, in-laws inclusive.I made million of money yet i spent all on people until I lost my job and abandoned by all.I must surely put them into use.
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by acidtalk: 12:33pm On Apr 24, 2013
Omokaro2acca: The interest rate of savings a/c in Nigeria is not encouraging saving culture at all. I save 200K. And wen I saw what is coming from that a/c. I grew angry and spent the money carelessly.
We should rather invest than save money.

Savings account is neither a money dubbling platform nor a lottery scheme. Savings accounts are meant to help you form the HABIT of saving.

The inteest are just as a form of them compensating you after the bank uses your money to trade.

So does it mean if you start a business for two years and you haven't yet broken even you will sell the entire business asset and then squander the Capital?

That was a very terrible decision you made there. I will advice you to form the habit of saving once again and rather than concentrate on the interest the bank gives you, rather have a vision on what to invest your savings on to make you financially free in the nearest future.

1 Like

Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by acidtalk: 12:36pm On Apr 24, 2013
hohafrank: acidtalk, God bless you for this write up.I was a victim of being used by friends and relatives, in-laws inclusive.I made million of money yet i spent all on people until I lost my job and abandoned by all.I must surely put them into use.

I quite understand your plight. I stopped keeping friends (of benefit) about 8years ago after I learned the hard way.

I keep only business associate and extremely few friends (of high intellect). If you only get intouch with me when you need a favor, I totally cut you off.

The unfortunate thing is people are too scared of being alone and lonely therefore making them spend on people thinking they can win them over and always have company around.

1 Like

Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by sammynaijaguy(m): 12:37pm On Apr 24, 2013
hohafrank: acidtalk, God bless you for this write up.I was a victim of being used by friends and relatives, in-laws inclusive.I made million of money yet i spent all on people until I lost my job and abandoned by all.I must surely put them into use.
och I feel for you hope you went through it well the lord is your strenghth
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by andyzoga: 1:05pm On Apr 24, 2013
Though, we've shared different views on national issues but I must say this is the most intelligent post I've ever read on this forum. Thumbs up for u,acidtalk.
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by EveryLadY(f): 1:12pm On Apr 24, 2013
acidtalk:

Let her save at least N5,000 every single month. At the end of the year she will confidently have N60,000 stuck up somewhere as savings. It looks quite small yes but could do a whole lot incase of unforseen circumstances and emergency.

Note, the earlier she starts to save the better considering the fact that she is squatting qith someone. If the person(s) she is squatting qith aren't her parents then there's a extremely high possibility of them throwing her out of their house one day.

Most businesses in Nigeria her setup from savings as banks, relatives and family members are not likely to lend someone money to startup. So if she is looking at starting up a business, the earlier she starts saving as little as N5,000/month the better for her.

thanks.will encourage her in this light.
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by amypaul(f): 1:14pm On Apr 24, 2013
Noted
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by mrakin(m): 1:23pm On Apr 24, 2013
Thank u sir, may your 'days' be long.
The bottom line is
1. Plan and put it in writing.
2. Do not satisfy your wants but your needs
3. Help others but budget for it too. Love yourself too.
4. Be disciplined, don't be too greedy
5. Try to humble yourself don't spend to impress
Above all pray at all times.

2 Likes

Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by Lumyboi(m): 1:30pm On Apr 24, 2013
Nice one @ op. Sm mkesense tinz on nairaland afta so many 'hot or not' abt one mumu's outfit she wore to a party
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by Twenty5: 1:54pm On Apr 24, 2013
acidtalk: When I saw a thread yesterday of a young man who is very uncomfortable because he isn't saving as much as he really desires.

I have gone through that road before. I read All the books you can think of on Money, Finance Management, Business, Entrepreneurship, Investment, Network Marketing and Savings. Inshort currently I have over 1,300 books of such books in my private library but the truth still remains that there are way more little (nitty gritty) things one must put up as a new attitude in order to break through the habit of not being able to save.

Below are some very most important things (steps) you need to take to see a considerable change.

First and foremost, I want to first bring your attention to the fact that MOST people still don't know the difference between NEEDS and WANTS.

Needs : this are those essential things they you most likely can't do without I.e, transport fare, Feeding, House rent, Certification or Professional courses, Utility bills (PHCN, Water, Recharge card, Internet).

Wants : this are things that we get to help us feel better in our social life. Sometimes we think we can't do without them or they are very important but as soon as they are paid for, we realize that we could have used the money to pay for more essential things. Examples of wants are 'excess' clothes or fashion accessories, communication gadgets (Phones, tablets, ipod, itouch, camera), eating outs (eatries, pizza/shawama joints, suya spots),excessive clubbing, Satallite TV subscription e.t.c.

Below are immediate steps to take to curb excess spending :

* Have at least THREE bank accounts in different banks. If at all you want to have an ATM card have it for ONLY one of the accounts. One account should be for very long term expences I.e, house building projects, towards starting a business, planning for your wedding,retirement plan.

The 2nd account should be for average long term projects I.e House rent (once a year), buying a car, Going for pilgrimage, vacation.

The 3rd account should be for your monthly expenses I.e, transportation, recharge card, internet, Cable TV, clothes, fueling of car/generator, feeding, and alms giving (charity, tithe, allowance to parents, siblings and relatives).

NOTE : you should only have an atm card for this 3rd account and no other account.

* Have A Budget : everything in life is all about planning, there's an adage that says "he who fails to plan, plans to fail". Budget and budgeting is an Extremely important part of planning to have a profitable business, happy marriage, successful career and every other facet of life.

Ensure you have a budget for every single day, week, month and even year. To be very honest, keeping budget is a very difficult task but with discipline and determination, it is very possible and worthwhile.

You MUST STOP Impulse spending as that is the only barrier between a rich man and an average man.

A rich and successful man will NEVER enter a shop/market/mall to pay for what wasn't initially on is to buy list no matter how fine or attractive the item is, unless he thinks he is getting it far cheaper than the usual price.

* Have more friends who are more Business inclined than Social inclined : if. I tell you today that this is the MAIN reason why some people will most likely never have a breakthrough in life.

"Show me your friends and......" Also "Birds of a feather......".

As funny or strange as it may sound, you will NEVER find the likes of Dangote, Jimoh Ibrahim, Jim Ovia, Tony Elemelu, Otedola and others going to a social gathering or event without the intention of coming out from that event being more successful. They always and only go to events to Network (expand their business horizon), track than someone of great relevance to them (I.e, a top Custom Boss, CBN director, Governor, Minister and the rest). If They weigh their option and see such invent will not benefit their business and financial status, trust me, even if Queen of England or Obama will be present they will not step foot there.

So many of us today gather friends (majority of whom are not useful) just as a symbol to prove how social and friendly we are. Some people have been going to Viweing centre every single saturday for the past 10years to argue about EPL matches and all through thos years they have NEVER benefited one single positive thing be it contract, admission, business or finance from the people they meet there and yet they still claim they can't do without going to viewing centers to watch match. The people you have been going to scream your voice out are getting paid and become richer whereas the same can't be said about you.

Thank yoi sir.i posted the thread you saw about maintaining my saving habit,am blessed with your indelible ideas shared on it and i think i now know where am making mistake.But is it not possible to have one account instead of three and applied discipline?
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by babestell(f): 2:01pm On Apr 24, 2013
Acidtalk

Good one here.....I know some companies have cooperatives where they can deduct a certain amount from your salary before you even get the alert. For those who have trustworthy coops in their company its a good way to save. But the keyword is DISCIPLINE. I didn't start to read financial self help books or save until I read "the richest man in babylon" and since then I have learnt to save 1/10th of whatever I earn. I save even before I pay tithes and pay bills. cos the money always looks small after I have done that cry

Its very difficult cos the consumer culture is very catching, but also its not a crime to give yourself a treat once in a while, we just have to balance the 2. grin
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by Luvlaye(m): 2:15pm On Apr 24, 2013
This post is pretty good keep it up.
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by Psyafe(m): 2:16pm On Apr 24, 2013
Keep it up, nice write up, and am really impressed!
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by ewons1(m): 2:18pm On Apr 24, 2013
thank d lord for dis post...its bn on my mind a long time but its high time i rlly get serious wt it...thanks again....
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by Sweetlemon(f): 2:34pm On Apr 24, 2013
Op God bless you for this. Some people really need urgent lesson on how to save money.
At the end of the month, you see people updating "salary tinz" but by the 2nd week of the next month, those same people will come to borrow money from from you! The annoying thing is that most of these people earn more than you do! I don't mince words when such people come to me. I tell them (as politely as I can) that if I hadn't been saving money, I would have been borrowing like them too!
people give the excuse that they earn too little for not being able to save. However the truth is that the higher you earn, the more responsibilities you attract and the more expensive your tastes get! So no salary is ever enough! I know an Akwa-Ibom local govt chairman who started riding okada one year after leaving office but this man was worth over 100 million when he was in office!!! So I therefore tell them (as politely as I can) that I will not be helping them if I borrowed them money because I will only be creating more problem for them in the long run!
Overspending and borrowing are the chief reasons why people do not save. Once these can be tackled, saving will become easier.
The key point about saving money is this: ALWAYS SAVE WHAT YOU WANT TO SAVE BEFORE SPENDING. NEVER SAVE AFTER SPENDING. Spend what is left after you have saved and not the other way round as there often wont be anything left for you to save after spending.
Whenever you have overspent or when things get too hard for you, NEVER BORROW UNLESS IT IS A LIFE/DEATH SITUATION OR TO PAY AN OVER DUE HOUSE/SHOP RENT OR TO PAY CHILDREN'S SCHOOL FEES. Anything outside that, please go and soak garri or wear rags!
Also, stop lending money to people unless they are in critical situations as stated earlier.
I'm still single (as at now) and thank Jesus I am lucky not to be in any tight corners, but I think this could be of help. Here is a layout of how I manage my total earnings (including outside salary money) per month;

1. Tithes - 10%
2. Savings- between 65%-70%
3. Other things- between 25%-20%

That is the order of priority I have have been following religiously for a year and a half now ever since I uncovered the power of saving.

6 Likes

Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by yemmyyy(m): 2:38pm On Apr 24, 2013
very inspiring piece.Though i have 3 bank accounts but due to the long queues at these banks i was discouraged to keep up my savings.i had to visit a carpenter shop one day to construct four (4)wooden save boxes (kolo in yoruba) for me. since then i have been saving more than 5k per month into all these boxes.
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by Sweetlemon(f): 2:40pm On Apr 24, 2013
yemmyyy: very inspiring piece.Though i have 3 bank accounts but due to the long queues at these banks i was discouraged to keep up my savings.i had to visit a carpenter shop one day to construct four (4)wooden save boxes (kolo in yoruba) for me. since then i have been saving more than 5k per month into all these boxes.
Ah what if the boxes get stolen??!!!
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by acidtalk: 2:54pm On Apr 24, 2013
Twenty5:

Thank yoi sir.i posted the thread you saw about maintaining my saving habit,am blessed with your indelible ideas shared on it and i think i now know where am making mistake.But is it not possible to have one account instead of three and applied discipline?

Oh! Its great to know you are the one that inspired me to come up with this piece and I am glad you found it useful.

Please! Please!! And Please!!! Avoid fake friends and impulse spending. This world is only made of people who will only shower your praises when the good is going for you but as soon as things turn a little bit bad/slow, they will all desert you and talk ill of you.
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by Nobody: 2:54pm On Apr 24, 2013
Acidtalk,thanks
Re: Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom by acidtalk: 2:58pm On Apr 24, 2013
andyzoga: Though, we've shared different views on national issues but I must say this is the most intelligent post I've ever read on this forum. Thumbs up for u,acidtalk.

My dear brother, life is made up of opposing views. If we all think the same way all the time we won't all think deep to come up with sounding intellects. Hope you never take all my views too seriously and harsh oh? Me I just come to nairaland to have fun and help people the little way I can. So please don't hate me for my opposing views to yours.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? / Free Stock Market Pick Alert For All Investors Globally!!! / 100 Million Naira To Invest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.