Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,686 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:21 PM

Nigerians And Their Bias To (somewhat) Classic Vehicles. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigerians And Their Bias To (somewhat) Classic Vehicles. (2521 Views)

Photos Of Specially Made Armored Patrol Vehicles Proudly Crafted In Nigeria / Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles (photo) / Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians And Their Bias To (somewhat) Classic Vehicles. by lungwun(m): 1:42pm On Apr 24, 2013
I haven't posted a new thread in a while so here goes.

I recently returned back into the country after a spell abroad to try and 'Make it in Nigeria'. This, however isn't the reason for this post.
On returning to Nigeria, I realised first of all, mobility was important (One can only enter so many cabs before you realise owning a car is essential). However, there was the old trusty 1994 Ford Explorer which has been parked in the same spot since 2008.
I took it as my duty (a bit like Sienna but without the pics because quite frankly, I got the help of a mechanic) to bring this vehicle back from the dead. And so far, i have to say, the journey has been tough although rewarding and when I got her running I felt like a very proud dad.

BUT

Whenever I go out my friends with their 05 - 11 Honda's and Toyota's look at me crazy like 'What is he doing driving such an old car'. I must admit she looks worse for wear but all she needs is a fresh coat of paint and a couple of suspension parts and ball joints.

Which brings me to the point of this thread. She might be old but I really do love her and in particular, love the way the solid block 4.0 V6 sounds under acceleration (in comparison, a family members RX350 pretty much wheezes like a sick puppy). I also want to purchase some cars in the future that i absolutely loved when i was growing up but naturally could not afford.

But then I heard that the Nigerian Customs Service does not allow importation of Vehicles older than 15 years since first registration. Whilst this is a noble albeit silly cause to reduce the amount of junkets we have on the road. I do feel the right thing to do would be to allow individuals who love old cars still bring in these vehicles for personal use.

The cars which I would really love to own are the Mercedes Benz 190E 2.6 or Cosworth and a 1990 - 1993 3.2CE. Because I do believe it is not what you drive but how you feel when you drive what you really want to.

So Nairaland, what are your thoughts about this or am I just a really old man in a slightly youngish man's shell?

I often refer to my car as a she, I have this habit of naming my cars (dont we all?)
Re: Nigerians And Their Bias To (somewhat) Classic Vehicles. by tdie: 2:36pm On Apr 24, 2013
You're not alone. I also do love oldies-especially the Mercedes W124 Series (aka V. Boot)-much to the dismay of my friends.
In a very recent trip out of Nigeria, I fell in love with a 1959 Peugeot 403 but realized that I wouldn't be able to legally get her into Nigeria without breaking the Bank.
Our mod on this section Ikenna is also in love with Oldies and is also coming under flak from the 'new school' dudes
Anyways, everyone is free to make a choice of what kind of cars he/she likes, and if one decides to join the trend (new cars), then so be it.
Re: Nigerians And Their Bias To (somewhat) Classic Vehicles. by Nobody: 2:42pm On Apr 24, 2013
Sounds like we're in the same boat. The difference being with myself, I'm surrounded by like-minded individuals; over here no one judges you on the automobile you run, there are successful ladies and gentlemen who don't even own vehicles, and would think nothing of running a 1962 Mercedes-Benz 250 or a 1974 NSU Ro80.

The only folk here who sneer at my older automobile are Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Bias To (somewhat) Classic Vehicles. by Nobody: 4:18am On Apr 25, 2013
OP, you're on point.

One thing I don't understand is why there are no classic cars in Nigeria.

I have 3 classic Mercedes, a 67, a 70 and a 92 190e 2.6 in the fleet.

Here are some others in the fleet. I am all into classics.

Re: Nigerians And Their Bias To (somewhat) Classic Vehicles. by Nobody: 7:15am On Apr 25, 2013
I have a classic in MB 190 W201..Buh i wanna refurbish it who can tell me d colour that looks best in it...Also in regards to this thread i think no oda classics makes sense like european classics.
Re: Nigerians And Their Bias To (somewhat) Classic Vehicles. by Ikenna351(m): 8:26am On Apr 25, 2013
Unfortunately, Nigeria, Nairaland or Car Talk is a wrong place to talk about older cars.

I do find it difficult to tell people that inspite of all the toys, better mpg and all that, my newly acquired Peugeot 406 V6 D9 stick couldnt take away the love i have for my 505 V6, my Baby. It just couldnt. But thats weird to an average Nigerian.

Older cars had distinctive looks. Older Benz all had their looks that made them Benz wherever you see them. The same is applicable to Peugeot, 403, 404, 504 & 505. It gave the brand the Lion's looks the logo stands for. The same is applicable to the older Volvos. But now, newer cars all look the same. Sometimes, you cant tell which branda car is except from the badge. At the other thread,i couldnt tell a difference between 2013 Honda Accord & Toyota Camry. Though, few brands still try to retain some of their distinctive looks in their newer products, but not as the older ones.

What about the engine sound? You could tell from afar when a Benz W124 is approaching without looking up from the engine note. You could tell when a Peugeot 404, 504 or 505 is coming from the roaring engine note. The same with the older Volvos. But now, every newer car sounds the same.

The only difference between newer cars is that you are sitting in a Benz, Peugeot, VW or Honda. But the looks and the engine notes are the same. Though, quality, toys, handling and performance may differ.

I hardly talk about my 505 in Car Talk. I have other forums where older cars are discussed, valued and appreciated.

Ikenna.
Re: Nigerians And Their Bias To (somewhat) Classic Vehicles. by Nobody: 10:21am On Apr 25, 2013
Ikenna351: Unfortunately, Nigeria, Nairaland or Car Talk is a wrong place to talk about older cars.

I do find it difficult to tell people that inspite of all the toys, better mpg and all that, my newly acquired Peugeot 406 V6 D9 stick couldnt take away the love i have for my 505 V6, my Baby. It just couldnt. But thats weird to an average Nigerian.

Older cars had distinctive looks. Older Benz all had their looks that made them Benz wherever you see them. The same is applicable to Peugeot, 403, 404, 504 & 505. It gave the brand the Lion's looks the logo stands for. The same is applicable to the older Volvos. But now, newer cars all look the same. Sometimes, you cant tell which branda car is except from the badge. At the other thread,i couldnt tell a difference between 2013 Honda Accord & Toyota Camry. Though, few brands still try to retain some of their distinctive looks in their newer products, but not as the older ones.

What about the engine sound? You could tell from afar when a Benz W124 is approaching without looking up from the engine note. You could tell when a Peugeot 404, 504 or 505 is coming from the roaring engine note. The same with the older Volvos. But now, every newer car sounds the same.

The only difference between newer cars is that you are sitting in a Benz, Peugeot, VW or Honda. But the looks and the engine notes are the same. Though, quality, toys, handling and performance may differ.

I hardly talk about my 505 in Car Talk. I have other forums where older cars are discussed, valued and appreciated.

Ikenna.
You must also •̸№t forget that we have repented of our old ways.By d way congrats on ur 406 V6!I am yet τ̲̅ȍ see d pix anyway.I └♡̨̐√ƺ d 406 so much cos of its speed.My colleague ran over two brothers on a bike while testing the speed of his newly aquired 406 V6 τ̲̅ȍ Onitsha from Lagos and they died instantly.Needless τ̲̅ȍ sathat he almost lost his life τ̲̅ȍ an angry mob cos he was doing a one way where he wasn't supposed τ̲̅ȍ.but still d 406 by my judgement is a very fine and fast car.I may even sell mine τ̲̅ȍ buy a V6.cheers
Re: Nigerians And Their Bias To (somewhat) Classic Vehicles. by Ikenna351(m): 10:49am On Apr 25, 2013
nony30: You must also •̸№t forget that we have repented of our old ways.By d way congrats on ur 406 V6!I am yet τ̲̅ȍ see d pix anyway.I └♡̨̐√ƺ d 406 so much cos of its speed.My colleague ran over two brothers on a bike while testing the speed of his newly aquired 406 V6 τ̲̅ȍ Onitsha from Lagos and they died instantly.Needless τ̲̅ȍ sathat he almost lost his life τ̲̅ȍ an angry mob cos he was doing a one way where he wasn't supposed τ̲̅ȍ.but still d 406 by my judgement is a very fine and fast car.I may even sell mine τ̲̅ȍ buy a V6.cheers

Of course, i wasnt referring to our settled closed matter. Lol!

I was saying, generally, Nigerians despise old cars and find it weird seeing people driving them. I have met a lot of forum members that reside in Abuja who had met some negative comment about my 505, when i still had my 605 V6. Some were asking "When will I get rid of the 505", since i have gotten a newer Lion. I would explain to them then why the 505 has come to stay, but some still wouldnt understand and would ask me the question next time we would meet. It started to become annoying to me and i stopped answering. Sometimes, i would answer it in a manner that the person would not dare ask me that again. When i sold my 605 and got the 406, no one has bothered to ask me why still keeping the 505 or shouldnt i have sold the 505 instead of the 605?

The thing is, we all have different taste. Mr. A may not like the looks of a girl Mr. B is going out with or the looks of Mr. A's wife and vice versa. Because no matter how Mr. A tries to explain to Mr. B how attractive he finds that girl or his wife, Mr. B will never understand.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Bias To (somewhat) Classic Vehicles. by yungboss(m): 10:53am On Apr 25, 2013
i subsribe to Lungwun's opinion and others who have commented too, my 1993 bmw isnt even old, yet i get criticisms from a persons around me that i drive an old car...when the lampoon gets bloated, i show them my grey hairs (even though my birth date is in the late 80's), i love the oldies generally- 80s/90s music, cars, classic architectural desgns...) told friends that i would get the old bmw e30 and they look at me like i'm socially out of place...here in Nigeria, people judge you by the car you drive...so if you are a multi-millionaire, you should drive a 2012 RR etc...
Well it's about what one likes, i still love the older cars...the big old BMWs and Mercedes...i dont really care much about New stuffs...
Re: Nigerians And Their Bias To (somewhat) Classic Vehicles. by yungboss(m): 11:04am On Apr 25, 2013
Ikenna351:

Of course, i wasnt referring to our settled closed matter. Lol!

I was saying, generally, Nigerians despise old cars and find it weird seeing people driving them. I have met a lot of forum members that reside in Abuja who had met some negative comment about my 505, when i still had my 605 V6. Some were asking "When will I get rid of the 505", since i have gotten a newer Lion. I would explain to them then why the 505 has come to stay, but some still wouldnt understand and would ask me the question next time we would meet. It started to become annoying to me and i stopped answering. Sometimes, i would answer it in a manner that the person would not dare ask me that again. When i sold my 605 and got the 406, no one has bothered to ask me why still keeping the 505 or shouldnt i have sold the 505 instead of the 605?

The thing is, we all have different taste. Mr. A may not like the looks of a girl Mr. B is going out with or the looks of Mr. A's wife and vice versa. Because no matter how Mr. A tries to explain to Mr. B how attractive he finds that girl or his wife, Mr. B will never understand.

Ikenna.
lol@your girl/wife illustration...you seem to love the illustration alot, lol. But it's cool though...passes the message easier than how DHL would...
Re: Nigerians And Their Bias To (somewhat) Classic Vehicles. by Ikenna351(m): 11:08am On Apr 25, 2013
yungboss:
lol@your girl/wife illustration...you seem to love the illustration alot, lol. But it's cool though...passes the message easier than how DHL would...

grin grin grin

Ikenna
Re: Nigerians And Their Bias To (somewhat) Classic Vehicles. by Ikenna351(m): 11:20am On Apr 25, 2013
By the way, there is this Rich man in Abuja that has lots of old Peugeot cars.

I was at APO mechanic village sometime in the past. Suddenly, a Peugeot 404 in red colour MINT condition pulled over. When i said MINT, i meant in TEAR RUBBER condition. Lol! It looked as if it was just driven out of the show room. The paint was like a mirror. I asked those around how come such car in such condition still exist in Abuja. I was told that the owner is into Lion collections. That he even had a Peugeot 403 in the same MINT condition like the 404. And that he also had other older Lions like 305, 504, etc. I was so carried away that i forgot to pull out my phone i snap the beauty. Still regretting it.

Honestly, I wished i had met the man. But they said the person on the wheel was his driver. If i have another opportunity, i would make the effort of locating the where he lives. Because i would like to go and appreciate him, for appreciating good things. Lol! I love classic cars and appreciate people that own them.

Ikenna.
Re: Nigerians And Their Bias To (somewhat) Classic Vehicles. by lungwun(m): 5:53pm On Apr 25, 2013
With this ban on greater than 15 year old vehicles, how does one get these classics into the country without

A. Smuggling them
or
B. Paying/Bribing customs a really serious amount of money?

Just had a look online for a well maintained 320CE and found one at just over $8000.
Would it be possible to have this shipped and for it to clear without much hassle from the ports?
Re: Nigerians And Their Bias To (somewhat) Classic Vehicles. by jaybabs1(m): 9:56pm On Apr 25, 2013
Bro I.k, u'r rly passionate about the lions, like i am with benz classics, i just have an unusual love for that 190E benz, my mech says he can install a C-180 engine on it, that he's done it for lots of peeps, when i shared my idea about the C-180 upgrade wt my friends, they ask me why i wont just buy the C- class, i told them no, i prefer the 190, they cant understand, cars can be some sort of addiction though.
Re: Nigerians And Their Bias To (somewhat) Classic Vehicles. by Nobody: 11:13pm On Apr 25, 2013
jaybabs_1: Bro I.k, u'r rly passionate about the lions, like i am with benz classics, i just have an unusual love for that 190E benz, my mech says he can install a C-180 engine on it, that he's done it for lots of peeps, when i shared my idea about the C-180 upgrade wt my friends, they ask me why i wont just buy the C- class, i told them no, i prefer the 190, they cant understand, cars can be some sort of addiction though.

I have a 190e shell that I will be transplanting the powerplant from a crashed C43 AMG into.

I love building sleeper cars.

My old lowly Porsche 924 had a V8 in it. Many a 911 owners have been taken by suprise at stoplights.
Re: Nigerians And Their Bias To (somewhat) Classic Vehicles. by Nobody: 11:15pm On Apr 25, 2013
jaybabs_1: Bro I.k, u'r rly passionate about the lions, like i am with benz classics, i just have an unusual love for that 190E benz, my mech says he can install a C-180 engine on it, that he's done it for lots of peeps, when i shared my idea about the C-180 upgrade wt my friends, they ask me why i wont just buy the C- class, i told them no, i prefer the 190, they cant understand, cars can be some sort of addiction though.
ma own haz a V-boot engine.plz do u knw d color dat kinda lukz best in MB 190
Re: Nigerians And Their Bias To (somewhat) Classic Vehicles. by Nobody: 11:19pm On Apr 25, 2013
Somorin#1:

I have a 190e shell that I will be transplanting the powerplant from a crashed C43 AMG into.

I love building sleeper cars.

My old lowly Porsche 924 had a V8 in it. Many a 911 owners have been taken by suprise at stoplights.

Sounds like you've got your hands full there. How's she coming along?
Re: Nigerians And Their Bias To (somewhat) Classic Vehicles. by Nobody: 11:33pm On Apr 25, 2013
Siena:

Sounds like you've got your hands full there. How's she coming along?

Slowly, very slowly. Old age is catching up to me. I am not as nimble as I used to be lol

I have the 190e shell in my garage but still negotiating with the seller for the C43. I want the whole car but he wants me to just come and remove the powerplant at his yard. I don't want to be running around for this sensor and that module so I want the whole thing.

I've done some measurements and I think I can get away without agitating the purists too much. I for sure will need to get more clearance for the bellhousing and I think that should be it for major modifications.

The interesting thing is being that the V8 is shorter than the I6 I can get away with having the engine be a little bit forward but for handling I will push it back to a neutral position.

(1) (Reply)

Describe This Car (hummer 7) / Toyota Camry 1999/2000 Model And Honda Baby Boy / How Can I Stop A Smoking Engine From Smoking Any Fluid?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.