Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,237 members, 7,815,320 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:45 AM

What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? (3803 Views)

Which Romancelander(s) Would You Feel Happy If The Person Deactivates? / How Did You Spend Your Today Sunday [my Pics For Today Outing] / What Did You Spend Your Weekend Doing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by Eastcoast(f): 6:06pm On May 12, 2006
ok. i will buy stationaries for school in lagos.
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by hotangel2(f): 6:14pm On May 12, 2006
hmm bola wat r u talking abt?
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by bolex(m): 6:20pm On May 12, 2006
i thought u had exams
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by hotangel2(f): 6:23pm On May 12, 2006
I finished since wednesday! Duhh!!!
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by bolex(m): 6:37pm On May 12, 2006
emi lo n duh!!!!!!!!!!!!

o fe ki n gba idi e pada si Gombe

Anywayz , make we no spam thread with e-friendship b4 Nwoke get mad

grin
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by hotangel2(f): 6:44pm On May 12, 2006
Gombe nikan ko, bauchi ni!
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by bolex(m): 6:46pm On May 12, 2006
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by sade511(f): 8:05pm On May 12, 2006
I was just talking about this with my parents yesterday.
Well first I'll build my grandmother and grandfather a big house, then I 'll open a big business. Once my business gets big I'll build a complexes (arpartments) and a big school. I will put all the orphanages and beggars that be under the bridge and stuff in there. Cause it seems to me like the disabled people in Nigeria dont get to do anything because people look down on them. I will give them free education and open business for them to work because after school in Nigeria there seems to be no jobs.

After Im done doing that I'll try to help and be one of the people that fix the corrupt government of Nigeria.
I want to do so many things for Nigerian because I know we can be so much of a better country if we have the right leaders.
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by Consultant(f): 8:25pm On May 12, 2006
I would give the money to the Fountain of Life Church food kitchen to be used in feeding the poor.

Well first I'll build my grandmother and grandfather a big house, then I 'll open a big business.  Once my business gets big I'll build a complexes (arpartments) and a big school.  I will put all the orphanages and beggars that be under the bridge and stuff in there.  Cause it seems to me like the disabled people in Nigeria don't get to do anything because people look down on them.  I will give them free education and open business for them to work  because after school in Nigeria there seems to be no jobs

All that with $50,000?!
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by sade511(f): 8:28pm On May 12, 2006
sade511:

Well first I'll build my grandmother and grandfather a big house, then I 'll open a big business. Once my business gets big I'll build a complexes (arpartments) and a big school. I will put all the orphanages and beggars that be under the bridge and stuff in there. Cause it seems to me like the disabled people in Nigeria don't get to do anything because people look down on them. I will give them free education and open business for them to work because after school in Nigeria there seems to be no jobs.

After I'm done doing that I'll try to help and be one of the people that fix the corrupt government of Nigeria.
I want to do so many things for Nigerian because I know we can be so much of a better country if we have the right leaders.
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by 4Play(m): 8:34pm On May 12, 2006
bolex:

;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Can someone explain to me what all the ;d ;d ;d means.I am not used to internet lingo
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by Z4M4eva(f): 8:44pm On May 12, 2006
l.o.l. It's this Smiley ------> cheesy . But it "Automatically" changes to ":d :d :d" Sometimes. Dunno y.
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by dearzi(f): 9:41pm On May 12, 2006
1) Pay my tithe
2) Remove college funds

3) Stay some away in a personal account, and vow not to touch it.
4) Start a fund for my unborn children

Hold Up, it's a grant, why are we spending it on self?

Sha! (5) Donate some of the money to Rescue missions (they feed the poor and homeless on the streets of Minnneapolis), donate another portion to Inner City Missions (they educate and feed the poor)

6) Be a secret santa in May, for some folks i know are really in need.

When i think i've done enough good deeds, i'll take my baby sister out and we'll go shop for whatever else we can buy for ourselves

On a serious note, i think i'd like to have a councelling center for people in abusive relationships, and some other personal emotional issues close to my heart (your privacy will be guranteed). I won't need to pay the counsellors, cuz like me, they'll want to volunteer their time to talk with and encourage these people (mostly ladies). It'll also be a good opportunity for Psych majors or Health Majors to do their internships--it'll look on their resume, so i won't need to pay them, but there'll be rewards every now and then. If the center's vistors have run into a hard time, help them out with a little starting off something. If they've got kids, and are in need, help them out with tuition, like scholarship programs, and basic essentials, so long as we can keep on getting funds for it.
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by goodguy(m): 11:33pm On May 12, 2006
Why would anyone want to pay tithes out of the money that is not meant to be used for himself or anyone he knows?

Anyway, I believe whatever one does in life, directly or indirectly favours him, no matter how you look at it.

Therefore, I cannot think of what I would use $50,000 for, without directly or indirectly favouring myself.
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by Eastcoast(f): 1:45am On May 13, 2006
Tithes belong to God. just giving back to him afterall he gave you first.
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by bolex(m): 1:48am On May 13, 2006
@ eastcoast

God bless you
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by Eastcoast(f): 1:52am On May 13, 2006
Thank you. kiss kiss kiss and God bless you too. kiss
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by LindaM1(f): 10:06am On May 13, 2006
cry  I would immediately establish a foundation for Hurricane Katrina survivors.  The primary focus of this foundation would be to provide mental health/counseling and medical services for victims and families of victims of Katrina. A former co-worker and I had the blessing (yes, BLESSING), to reunite my girlfriend, who lives here, with her brother, who lived in New Orleans for the better part of his life.  What he described about the events that unfolded made everything I saw on the news appear to be a fairy tale.  He was working in a bakery and just days before Katrina, he was doing his usual duty of clearing dough from a baking machine.  His hand got caught in the machine, and as the most astute of you are probably guessing, yes, his hand was mangled and burned.  Under "normal" circumstances, he would have been transported to the hospital, where he would have received immediate care for his injuries.  Sadly, the hurricane hit, and he ended up in the Superdome, where he went for six days without any medical treatment (not to mention food).  As a consequence, gangrene set in, and today his hand is a bizarre landscape of thick, ropy scars, pink and black melted skin, and four and a half fingers (one finger was subsequently amputated).  Do you know what it's like to drive a car, or attempt to put a housekey in a doorknob without a whole hand?  Well, he does.  He said he saw a National Guardsman shot at point-blank range right before his eyes.  Apparently, a drug-dealer didn't appreciate the Guardsman's interference with his transaction.  My friend said the whole Superdome shook when the worst part of the hurricane hit - said it sounded like Armegeddon and at that point the people around him were praying to die.  The nightly news only alluded to the filth caused by lack of bathroom facilities.  Well, my friend Adam said the feces was piled 2 to 3 feet high and by the 3rd day, people simply relieved themselves outdoors because the ammonia fumes from the urine were making people pass out.  He told me the other day that he wasn't sure how he would live out the rest of his life because he has nowhere to go "back to", and Colorado Springs is so alien to him - keep in mind that he's had to establish a whole new support system, let alone acclimate to a much higher altitude.  The emotional and physical effects of this disaster are in their infant stage - if I had 50,000$,  I would use every nickel of it to help give these survivors much needed psychiatry and medical treatment, so they could regain at least a semblance of a normal life.
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by goodguy(m): 4:07pm On May 13, 2006
Eastcoast:

Tithes belong to God. just giving back to him afterall he gave you first.

bolex:

@ eastcoast

God bless you

Please don't get me wrong. I believe in paying tithes, and I really do pay my tithes. But in this case, I don't think it is necessary to pay tithes with a $50,000 grant. You're given the money to spend on a good cause; not for your personal use. Afterall, tithes are meant to be 10% of your own personal earnings.
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by Seun(m): 4:15pm On May 13, 2006
Please don't nitpick their replies. Don't discourage people from posting.

I am the one that posted the topic. If I am not satisfied with any reply I will let you know. Thanks.
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by bolex(m): 8:05pm On May 13, 2006
yes o seun

let's all be straight

but seun

was it not you that said 1m in naira is chicken change

well, I;d say

that $50,000 is chicken change here abroad

But even to spend it in a community in Naija

It might not reach anywhere

What do you think ?
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by sade511(f): 8:14pm On May 13, 2006
Yeah its really not that much money.
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by chinani(f): 10:56pm On May 13, 2006
That was a great idea Linda M.

Bolex
you may be right. Maybe I wouldn't be able to do all the things I wrote in my post but I'd definitely do something. Remember, no one can do everything but everyone can do something. $50,000 is not everything but it's a start, abi?
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by Eastcoast(f): 4:14am On May 14, 2006
i'll attend an ivy league college for one year. cheesy
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by LindaM1(f): 7:28am On May 14, 2006
Chinani - thank you, Hurricane Katrina is my soapbox. To everyone - 50k was referred to in some posts as "chicken change". It wouldn't by any stretch of the imagination be considered a windfall here in America either, but you know, a foundation could be established, to which corporations and individuals could donate. With proper advertisement and honest usage of the original funds, this amount of money could really help the lives of others. Peace to all.
lm
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by Nia: 7:00am On May 21, 2006
Hmnn,  so many things to do

But I think, i will create a non-profit organization for potential leaders and people who are passionate, conscious, and dedicated to making things better in Naija and in Africa in general. The first thing we'd do is hire someone who's good at writing grant proposals, so we can apply for more grants, cause money would play a key role in continuing the organization. Then, we will budget the rest of the money so that we participate in at least one community service each month or maybe every other month.
One of this might include working with the Red Cross and holding an AIDS/HIV awareness day or week (with free testing) in a certain location in Naija, maybe somewhere up North. Or doing a clothes/shoes drive, and collecting used (but clean and well washed) clothes and shoes or other items and taking them over to Naija. Even collectively writing petitions and letters to leaders abroad (maybe even collectively hold protests, as in the case in Darfur) when they are in a position to make positive changes in Africa. Or drawing awareness to malaria and collecting donations to help those who can't afford to pay for vaccines for malaria. We'd definitely have scholarships for college students in Naija. And whoever wins the scholarship will not just get money for school, but will get financial assistance with materials for school, clothes and shoes as well.   

The organization would prolly need Board members and all that stuff. The members of the organization would most likely be college students and up, who are passionate and dedicated to making changes in the country in their own way, be it as future doctors, nurses, lawyers, engineers, human rights advocates, etc,
Our focus would be to keep up with everything that's going on Nigeria, politically, and discuss it and we might also discuss possible solutions to the problems in Naija. But the ultimate goal would be to encourage them to become potential leaders and bring changes into the country. We'd prolly have so much to do and I think human dedication is equally as important as money in this instance, but anyways, I think i'll stop here.
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by Seun(m): 5:59pm On Jun 21, 2006
I can see that we all want to help Nigeria. The best thing we can do to help Nigeria is to run profitable businesses.
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by chinani(f): 6:03pm On Jun 21, 2006
Haba Seun! I'd like you to make a list of things capitalism can't do for you. . .the list is for your health. (Trust me on this.)
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by Seun(m): 12:10pm On Jul 07, 2006
I'm waiting for the list. cheesy
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by chinani(f): 11:23pm On Jul 07, 2006
Seun:

I'm waiting for the list. cheesy
I wanted you to make a list, Seun. I thought it'd be more to you that way. wink
Re: What Good Cause(s) Would You Spend A $50,000 Grant On? by vanstanzy(m): 2:18pm On Dec 29, 2012
I would pay 10% as tithe, give 5% for the cause of Charity. Then invest a chunk on real estate,invest in my safety business, lodge some in my account in readiness for investing in other business lines and use the remaining to run my family and my life.
I can consult for whoever has such cash. grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Women, What Is Your Priority? University Degrees Or Ur Dignity As A Woman / Where Are Narialand Moderators!?! / Bus Route 4rm Unilag 2 Ikeja Mall.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.