Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,072 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World (10119 Views)

If This Was A Prison cell In Nigeria, Sure Crime Rate Will Be Very High (photo) / Alarming Crime Rate In Lagos / Very High Crime Rate In Lagos(Gov Fashola Has Failed Us) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Kobojunkie: 6:31pm On Apr 11, 2008
I was conversing to a friend today who happens to live full time in Nigeria and he told me that Nigeria is far better than America as Crime rate in America is higher than crime rate in Nigeria. Being that this is not the first time I have actually been told this by people with his mind set, I was wondering if there is actual data out their to show that this statement is in any way valid. Is there some source that supports this claim of lower crime rate in Nigeria compared to crime rate in America?
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Seun(m): 6:37pm On Apr 11, 2008
Guns. Most potential criminals in Nigeria don't have guns at their disposal.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Kobojunkie: 6:46pm On Apr 11, 2008
Many people in America own guns does not translate many people in america are criminals though. Crime in Nigeria may not be gun related but does that mean that because there are more guns readily available to Americans, Americans are more prone to committing crimes?
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by hotshawlng(m): 3:12pm On Apr 15, 2008
@poster; Yes bro, Crime in the western world is nothing compared to what obtains in Nigeria. Have you lived abroad once before?? And for how long?
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Kobojunkie: 3:18pm On Apr 15, 2008
hotshawlng:

@poster; Yes bro, Crime in the western world is nothing compared to what obatins in Nigeria. Have you lived abroad once before?? And for how long?

uuumm, I currently live in the west and I have yet to have any crime committed against me. I have lived for a 10 years straight stay and to this day, no 419, not mugging, no nothing when it comes to family, friends and all. What are you trying to say??
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by hotshawlng(m): 3:29pm On Apr 15, 2008
Hmmm, thank God for your life oooo, It is better imagined than experienced. wink
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Kobojunkie: 3:33pm On Apr 15, 2008
hotshawlng:

Hmmm, thank God for your life oooo, It is better imagined than experienced. wink

But, what gives you the idea that crime here is as rampant as it is in Nigeria though?? I started this thread cause I have met so many with that mind set who continually make those claims as if what they see shown over and over on TV spell what happens in every street and corner out here. Do you know that in the UK alone, the police there did not use to carry guns at all cause of the low rate of violent crimes there??
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by hotshawlng(m): 3:41pm On Apr 15, 2008
Once again; it is better imagined than experienced. Don't wanna talk about it. The UK is not the only western country, is it? Anyways. It is well. Keep thanking God bro. One luv!
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by tboy1(m): 3:46pm On Apr 15, 2008
Its probably worse in Nigeria but you can't know the actual figures because 90% of crimes are not recorded whereas 90% of crimes will probably be recorded in the US

Simple Example
Mobile handset is stolen in nigeria probably a lot in Nigeria, but i doubt anyone will go to the police to report his/her handset stolen.  
Example: 100 mobile phones stolen everday(which is a very minimum figure)= 3000 PerMonth =1,095,000 per yr.

That is, more than 1 million people will not report their phones stolen, where as in America all that will be stored in a database which would be made public annually.

Now calculate the crimes for Harassment, Aggravated Assault, Robbery, Motor Vehicle Thefts, Murder, Forcible Rape.
Dont forget to include: Fraud, Drug Traffickers, CyberCrimes, Money Laundering etc

Need i say more?

1 Like

Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by hotshawlng(m): 3:51pm On Apr 15, 2008
@ Tboy1: I can't believe this!!!! Are you by any chance a Nigerian I don't think so. Report a crime in Nigeria I am sure you are not a Nigerian and you don't know how it works down here. grin
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Kobojunkie: 3:55pm On Apr 15, 2008
tboy1:

Its probably worse in Nigeria but you can't know the actual figures because 90% of crimes are not recorded whereas 90% of crimes will probably be recorded in the US

Simple Example
Mobile handset is stolen in nigeria probably a lot in Nigeria, but i doubt anyone will go to the police to report his/her handset stolen.
Example: 100 mobile phones stolen everday(which is a very minimum figure)= 3000 PerMonth =1,095,000 per yr.

That is, more than 1 million people will not report their phones stolen, where as in America all that will be stored in a database which would be made public annually.

Now calculate the crimes for Harassment, Aggravated Assault, Robbery, Motor Vehicle Thefts, Murder, Forcible Rape.

Dont forget to include: Fraud, Drug Traffickers, CyberCrimes, Money Laundering etc

Need i say more?

Precisely. Another observation is what we consider crime here is considered normal happening in Nigeria. For instance, if I went out to get a tag and was asked to pay bribe here, I would dial 911 immediately and that might be the top news of the evening as such is considered a big deal here but in Nigeria, people comfortably pay up and leave without questioning these things. I am amazed at hour easily people in Nigeria claim that crime is highest here when the same would comfortably tell you of how a policeman collected this amount and that amount from them or how they were duped into buying low quality product that they can not take back for a refund.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by tboy1(m): 3:57pm On Apr 15, 2008
hotshawlng:

@ Tboy1: I can't believe this!!!! Are you by any chance a Nigerian I don't think so. Report a crime in Nigeria I am sure you are not a Nigerian and you don't know how it works down here. grin

Did u read my post clearly?
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Seun(m): 4:03pm On Apr 15, 2008
Imagine how much worse Nigeria would be if every hoodlum could go to the market to buy a gun!
Imagine how much worse those our inter-ethnic riots would be if guns were available to the rioters!
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Kobojunkie: 4:16pm On Apr 15, 2008
LMAO!!!!! Nigeria would be HELL on earth if that ever happened. LMAO!!!
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by hotshawlng(m): 10:25pm On Apr 15, 2008
@Tboy1, I did! Did you read mine clearly In Naija, it's lawlessness all the way, down to the people u're supposed to report to. U never see anything,
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by hotshawlng(m): 10:30pm On Apr 15, 2008

Bottom line is; there is crime in Nigeria but not as much as there is in the western world.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by tboy1(m): 11:19pm On Apr 15, 2008
hotshawlng:

Bottom line is; there is crime in Nigeria but not as much as there is in the western world.

How do you know crimes in naija is less than crimes in the western world when naija does not even record 90% of the crimes that's occured
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Kobojunkie: 11:58pm On Apr 15, 2008
hotshawlng:

I am sure that you are an educated fellow, educated enough to know that just making claims such as this without being able to back it up does not automatically make it true. Over 90% of crimes in Nigeria go unreported each hour, talk less of each day. Nigerians are at a point where they do not recognize crime anymore. A man kills his next door neighbour cause the man offended him some way and the man walks scott free cause people in the area feel he got was what coming to him( the neighbour) and life goes on. I can go on and on, giving you examples, but I am sure you are educated enough to understand that Nigeria is a place where crime is terribly high but the people have convinced themselves that it is NORMAL, that is not the case here in the west. All Crime, be it a man slapping his next door neighbour just cause is reported and most cases, people do some time for even that.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by bawomolo(m): 2:55am On Apr 16, 2008
Imagine how much worse Nigeria would be if every hoodlum could go to the market to buy a gun!

you can't just walk into a market to buy a gun in the US. u have to buy from a verified dealer and get a mental checkup plus a gun license. automated or machine guns are inaccessible to most people.

Imagine how much worse those our inter-ethnic riots would be if guns were available to the rioters!

guns are already available to nigerian rioters. guns don't kill people, people kill people. wasn't the machette just as effective in killing during the rwandan genocide.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by hotshawlng(m): 3:50pm On Apr 16, 2008
@Kobojunkie; I told u already. I don't wanna talk about it. cry Just keep praying that you don't ever fall victim of any crime, right there in the western world.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Seun(m): 7:04pm On Apr 16, 2008
you can't just walk into a market to buy a gun in the US. u have to buy from a verified dealer and get a mental checkup plus a gun license.
When guns are being sold openly, it's easy for a few to slip through the cracks. Plus, getting a gun license doesn't imply that you are incapable of committing a crime. Plus, a criminal can steal a gun from someone with a license. A young criminal can take his dad's licensed gun from the safe and use it. Etc.

automated or machine guns are inaccessible to most people.
Criminals do not need automated guns to kill.

There is crime in Nigeria, but it is not as deadly as crime abroad. In Nigeria, if you get into a fight, you may be beaten up badly. In the western world, if you get into a fight, you may be shot. Do you see the difference? The few criminals that have access to guns, you can see how ruthless they are. Now what if every jobless good-for-nothing on your street could get a gun through a friend of a friend?

If you look at the crime in Niger Delta, it's bad because these boys have machine guns and rocket launchers and speedboats. I believe that people should be free to protect themselves, but not at the expense of lives. A dead man cannot enjoy freedom.

People should be trained to protect themselves through non-lethal means. A pepper spray may not kill your attacker, but it will help you defend yourself. Same goes for tranquilizer guns and tasers in the hands of police. The use of force doesn't have to be lethal. Self-defense is not about killing a criminal; it's about not getting killed. If you can protect yourself without taking a life, then you're morally obligated to do so.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Kobojunkie: 7:33pm On Apr 16, 2008
hotshawlng:

@Kobojunkie; I told u already. I don't want to talk about it. cry Just keep praying that you don't ever fall victim of any crime, right there in the western world.

Look, the debate is not about there being absolutely no crime here. There is an over 80% chance that perpetrators will be caught and prosecuted here as opposed to the same in Nigeria. I am not worried cause I do not believe that will ever happen to me or my own but I do know that I stilll wait to be shown how crime in Nigeria can be as high as it is but yet lower than it is in Nigeria.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Nobody: 7:52pm On Apr 16, 2008
tboy1 has said it all.
It's a fact that most cases in Nigeria are not reported to the police ranging from trivial issues like a man beating his wife to homicide.

Even if it's proven that crime rate in Nigeria is low ( I extremely doubt this), I'd rather have the sanity and assurance of a case being handled by the necessary authorities in the West than the fruitlessness of the Nigerian police.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by tboy1(m): 10:12pm On Apr 16, 2008
stillwater:

tboy1 has said it all.
It's a fact that most cases in Nigeria are not reported to the police ranging from trivial issues like a man beating his wife to homicide.

Even if it's proven that crime rate in Nigeria is low ( I extremely doubt this), I'd rather have the sanity and assurance of a case being handled by the necessary authorities in the West than the fruitlessness of the Nigerian police.

grin grin grin They will even charge u money before they start your case
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Njoy1(f): 11:18am On Apr 17, 2008
Open this link below and see for yourself - the crime statistics in New York alone - where there were 921 murder cases in 2006 alone, 3169 rape in 2006 alone, 34, 489 robbery in 2006 alone - 68, 565 burglary in 2006 alone - 32, 134 theft in 2006 alone - 45, 387 assault in 2006 alone - etc

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/nycrime.htm

Then tell me where the crime rate is worse - Nigeria or America -

Remember New York is only one state in the whole of America.

People just open their mouth and talk negative about Nigeria without recourse to facts.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Kobojunkie: 11:20am On Apr 17, 2008
N-joy:

Open this link below and see four yourself - the crime statistics in New York alone - where there were 921 murder cases in 2006 alone.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/nycrime.htm

So, are you trying to claim that less than 921 murder's took place in Lagos state in the same year 2006??
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Njoy1(f): 11:25am On Apr 17, 2008
Kobojunkie:

So, are you trying to claim that less than 921 murder's took place in Lagos state in the same year 2006??

Something must be potentially wrong with the way you think if you think that 921 people can be killed in Lagos State alone in the year 2006.

In the whole of America in 2006 - 17, 034 people were killed - in one year alone - can that ever happen in Nigeria in one year alone? Common - lets be reasonable - lets think before we write - lets be objective - lets be human -
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Kobojunkie: 11:27am On Apr 17, 2008
N-joy:

Something must be potentially wrong with the way you think if you think that 921 people can be killed in Lagos State alone in the year 2006.

I didn't ask you of your assessment of what I think and how your mind chooses to process that. I asked you straight up if less than the number you have reported where killed in NY, were murdered in Lagos. Simple!!!
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Njoy1(f): 11:31am On Apr 17, 2008
Open this othr link and compare the Nigerian statistics with the American statistics - of course I expect you not to beleive the Nigerian statistics - but beleive the American statistics - because to you people - nothing good comes out of Nigeria.

http://www.cleen.org/crime%20statistics%201994-2003_graphics.pdf

At least open the statistics and comapre - year by year.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Kobojunkie: 11:35am On Apr 17, 2008
You are so not worth my time. NEXT!!!
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Njoy1(f): 11:37am On Apr 17, 2008
No where can be less safe than a country where 17, 034 human beings were murdered in one single year -

1,417,745 - violent

17,034   -   murder

92,455   -    rape

447,403  --- robbery

862,947  -    assault

2,183,746  ---- burglary

6,607,013  ------theft

1,192,809   -----vehicle theft

In one year - 2006 - alone in America - common - facts speaks better than being judgemental.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Njoy1(f): 11:43am On Apr 17, 2008
Kobojunkie:

You are so not worth my time. NEXT!!!

Somebody ask for facts - and he gets the facts - but they are not what he thinks he will get, and then concludes by saying someone is not worth his time - who should make that statement? Yourself or myself? Some people think as if they have gotten their brains in yuk.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Linda Osualla, NTA Reporter Kidnapped In Aba. / Robbers Disguise As Beggars To Rob In Lagos / HELP!!! Bet9ja Have Debited All My Account Balance.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.