Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? (16462 Views)

Is It By Force To Take Your Child To Santa? (Photo) / Is It Proper For A Wife To Wear A 'g-string'? Please Help / Making Love & Raising A Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by omodapson(m): 2:02pm On May 06, 2013
More than one language can be learnt simultaneously, so it is very proper to raise children with English but my MT must also be acquired along the way.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Arcard(m): 2:12pm On May 06, 2013
if nigeria want to encourage native lang ds is wat dy shld do: job interview shld b done wt d language dat z native to u, am sure ds wl help.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by generatorsaler: 2:13pm On May 06, 2013
I think it's very useful to learn English . And maybe someone needs generator set. http://www.weichaifdj.com
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by dhrey: 2:19pm On May 06, 2013
greatgod2012: In my own opinion, i think not allowing your children speak your indigeneus language is like telling them, indirectly, that, you are not proud of your tribe and its language, atleast, if you are proud of a thing, you will want people to identify you with that thing, and i notice that its mostly common with we yorubas, you can hardly find an igbo or hausa kids, who will not be proud to speak their indigenous languages, even, in public places, but, we yorubas,......hhhhmmmmm, may God help us.

Well, in my own house, we (hubby and i) ensure that our children understand our language very well, infact, its a rule that........
1. You must know the yoruba meaning of whatever you are talking about, so anytime they see a new thing, which they know its english name, i tell them the yoruba meaning and ask them to address the thing in yoruba for a whole week, except in school.
2. Once i speak to you in yoruba, you must respond in yoruba, and it has helped them a great deal to speak the language fluently.

The mistake our people makes is that, once a child speaks totally in English, it makes the child a brilliant child, which is not true sometimes, or even most times, i remember one of my secondary school mates, who could speak english like mad, but repeated S.S1 three time, and the fourth time, she was advised to withdraw, because it was a laid down rule in my school then, that, once a student repeat a class three times, and she also repeat the fourth time, she would be advised to withdraw, but, you need to know this girl, then, even, oyinbo man could not speak english fluently as she used to, but, gbogbo e.....odo ni.
@all, lets all embrace our indigenous languages, and also encourage our kids to embrace it. teni n teni, takisa ni t'aatan.
May God help us.
am impressed wit dis.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by dhrey: 2:21pm On May 06, 2013
Siena:

That's where you're wrong. English is our first language, our native languages come second.
olodo,english is our 2nd language.

5 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by MissOpe(f): 2:25pm On May 06, 2013
If U have preference for English over Your local Dialect Click Like and don't be ashamed....
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by MissOpe(f): 2:26pm On May 06, 2013
If You have preference for your local Dialect over english click Like...

2 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by jakedes(m): 2:27pm On May 06, 2013
Its really important you train your children in your local language just like one of my best friends would say "Having the knowlegde of being an African and Nigerian was as a result of the comming of the whites but being an IGBO..is what i was before the white came"...just imagine them teach u chemistry ,maths or physics with your local language...u would have been a guru...take an example with top european countries...hw many German profs speak English...?
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 2:34pm On May 06, 2013
TheCongo: Some people here may stone me to death. But, let’s look at some of the facts.

The English language is the official language of Nigeria. Given this fact, it overrides any of the local dialect. If people don’t like it this way, then the Nigeria constitution should be changed to elect a local dialect as official language.

In my opinion, children should be comfortable with the language that they would be using in school. Therefore, it is better to train a Nigeria child to feel more comfortable with the English language when the child is still very young. It would be unfair for that child to start his schooling in Nigeria without the proper command of the English language.

Also, the English language is the language that will carry the Nigeria Child into his professinal life. What type of job can someone do in Nigeria without any knowledge of English?

This has nothing to do with inferiority complex.

It has everything to do with inferiority complex, stupidity and setting one's priority wrong.

The debate here isn't about how early English knowledge would help them in their education or profession, that is the reason they would be going to school in the first place anyway, to learn proper use of the English language. Otherwise, we might as well strike it out of our curriculum since those kids already know how to speak it before even beginning with their education process, rather the debate is about our own dying identity and culture.

I was brought up in the east, Enugu precisely, and speak not just your commonly heard Igbo language, termed Central Igbo ( even though I can speak so if I desire), rather I speak the most hardcore deep Nkanu dialect of the Igbo language which only very few Igbos could make out since it substitutes common Igbo words with it's own line of vocabularies most Igbos have never come across, because that was the exact language and dialect used to raise me and all my siblings by my parents, who ironically are graduates of Two great Universities in the UK. English barely played a role in my family while growing up.

That said, I have met very few people out there, both in Nigeria and foreign countries who can match my command of raw spoken English or that of my siblings. Even when masked with funny sounding accents like most Nigerians do.

Have spoken often with the so called "butti" kids who were raised with English only and most times, I come out of the conversations totally appalled and disgusted at how poorly most of them can string together English sentences.

What am I trying to say? that you neglect your own identity in order to teach a child an abstract language first, just to make him or her feel and sound more polished and "posh", would never grant you an advantage over those who never did so. It could even end up impairing the child's thought process as his knowledge is limited.

It is a proven fact that kids who learn more than one language growing up, end up being smarter and more versatile.

7 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 2:35pm On May 06, 2013
honeychild: well, as for me, my children speak English first. I cannot stand people who speak English with a very pronounced accent. I also agree with the poster who said It slows you down when you think in your native language and have to translate it into English.

Languages have different structures. Constantly translating from our various native tongues to English is what is responsible for the way a lot of Nigerians 'murder' the English language- mixing up our tenses and generally speaking atrocious English. Since my kids need to speak good English to excel at school, work and business, that is the language they will have to think in.

I have never read anything more ludicrous on this forum. The sooner we begin to understand the importance of being secure in one's identity the better for us all.

5 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 2:37pm On May 06, 2013
honeychild: well, as for me, my children speak English first. I cannot stand people who speak English with a very pronounced accent. I also agree with the poster who said It slows you down when you think in your native language and have to translate it into English.

Languages have different structures. Constantly translating from our various native tongues to English is what is responsible for the way a lot of Nigerians 'murder' the English language- mixing up our tenses and generally speaking atrocious English. Since my kids need to speak good English to excel at school, work and business, that is the language they will have to think in.

1,000,000,000 likes.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Acidosis(m): 2:38pm On May 06, 2013

4 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by ismokeweed1(f): 2:39pm On May 06, 2013
OCTAVO: Personally, I was raised by my parents to speak our local dialect from childhood, now I'm an adult and I'm not doing bad at all when it comes to speaking good English.
I wonder what the stress of these new generation parents is all about.
It's now like a competition amongst the Elites to raise their children to speak English thereby preventing these little kids from learning how to speak their local language fluently and efficiently.
This has become a general disease in our present generation and it's spreading too fast!
If we the oldies never learnt our local languages, our local languages would have gone extinct.
Must we now allow our own local languages to fade off just because of modernization?
Now my question is this:
Is there any special importance attached to raising a child to speak English language in Nigeria?

this is a very delicate matter. But in reality its quite simple.

IF YOU LIVE IN A RURAL ENVIRONMENT AND HAVE VARIOUS TIES TO TRADITIONAL MATTERS then it is wise to teach your children to speak their native language more fluently than english but IF YOU LIVE IN THE CITY OR ABROAD then you will need to make them more fluent in english that their native languaga.

some children can be very fluent in both classes but they are the SPECIAL ONES and this can only be realized when they have achieved maturity.

these days people make use of the english language in everything official. Even before an individual is accorded an audience the factors of looks, intelligence & diction are very important.

you being a parent are supposed to lead the child, so it is safe to say that you will mould that child to be what he will be tomorrow.

so the question is this . . . WHAT LANGUAGE DO YOU BELIEVE WILL BENEFIT YOUR CHILD MORE IN FUTURE ?

as for me, i just cant imagine myself raising an 'MGBÈKÈ' (as the ibo's call them) and call him/her my child in this day and age
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by claycares: 2:39pm On May 06, 2013
In our present circumstances, it seems impracticable to teach our children local languages. Parents don't even have the time to spend with their kids these days, not to talk of teaching them local languages.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 2:40pm On May 06, 2013
Acidosis: It haff do

come and be going

shebi i ask you not to take it

NEPA have bring light...

All these jargons are products of these I-must-teach-my-child-english @ home..
Nowadays, parents who never learnt the rudiments of english in toto now wants to teach the language by fire, by force...

Some of my yoruba friends back then at school who couldn't speak yoruba language didn't excel beyond those who speak.. Infact they often feel cheated.

Some people found help via these languages..

Even the languages you speak matters when applying for certain jobs.

If you must teach your child the british language (leaving the mother tongue for the 'old schools') please stop giving/calling/identifying them with indigenous/local names e.g Bolanle, Chukwuka, Emeka, Akpos, Osaze, Musa, etc.. It will only make you a dunce, hypocrite.,

Gimme a high five man!

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by niyimat(m): 2:41pm On May 06, 2013
greatgod2012: In my own opinion, i think not allowing your children speak your indigeneus language is like telling them, indirectly, that, you are not proud of your tribe and its language, atleast, if you are proud of a thing, you will want people to identify you with that thing, and i notice that its mostly common with we yorubas, you can hardly find an igbo or hausa kids, who will not be proud to speak their indigenous languages, even, in public places, but, we yorubas,......hhhhmmmmm, may God help us.

Well, in my own house, we (hubby and i) ensure that our children understand our language very well, infact, its a rule that........
1. You must know the yoruba meaning of whatever you are talking about, so anytime they see a new thing, which they know its english name, i tell them the yoruba meaning and ask them to address the thing in yoruba for a whole week, except in school.
2. Once i speak to you in yoruba, you must respond in yoruba, and it has helped them a great deal to speak the language fluently.

The mistake our people makes is that, once a child speaks totally in English, it makes the child a brilliant child, which is not true sometimes, or even most times, i remember one of my secondary school mates, who could speak english like mad, but repeated S.S1 three time, and the fourth time, she was advised to withdraw, because it was a laid down rule in my school then, that, once a student repeat a class three times, and she also repeat the fourth time, she would be advised to withdraw, but, you need to know this girl, then, even, oyinbo man could not speak english fluently as she used to, but, gbogbo e.....odo ni.
@all, lets all embrace our indigenous languages, and also encourage our kids to embrace it. teni n teni, takisa ni t'aatan.
May God help us.

on point.

once upon a time in the the cradle town of ile ife, Osun state. The education stake holders decided to build a primary school with the objective of using the local language Yoruba to teach all subjects except during English language classes from classes 1-6.

Only few academias obliged to enroll their children. I was one of the first set of pupils that were enrolled, we were about 30 in class.

The result was phenomena. Yoruba language was used to perform wonders. mathematics, integrated science, social studies, physical education name them were taught with the Yoruba language. we can recite numbers 1-1000 in yoruba, read, write and understand essays in yoruba. It was so much fun, learning was easy.
many of my colleagues did excellently well in their various secondary schools. The SP in the secondary school that I attended was one of my primary school colleagues.

Even though the school still exist, am not sure if the method really last for a long time in the wake of Englishspeaking syndrome, and private schools springing up everywhere.

in a nutshell, am a proponent of using the mother tougue to start with an infant @least 60%. This will develop the child intellectually, more of the mother tougue and any other ones can follow.

4 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 2:44pm On May 06, 2013
i-smoke-weed:

this is a very delicate matter. But in reality its quite simple.

IF YOU LIVE IN A RURAL ENVIRONMENT AND HAVE VARIOUS TIES TO TRADITIONAL MATTERS then it is wise to teach your children to speak their native language more fluently than english but IF YOU LIVE IN THE CITY OR ABROAD then you will need to make them more fluent in english that their native languaga.

some children can be very fluent in both classes but they are the SPECIAL ONES and this can only be realized when they have achieved maturity.

these days people make use of the english language in everything official. Even before an individual is accorded an audience the factors of looks, intelligence & diction are very important.

you being a parent are supposed to lead the child, so it is safe to say that you will mould that child to be what he will be tomorrow.

so the question is this . . . WHAT LANGUAGE DO YOU BELIEVE WILL BENEFIT YOUR CHILD MORE IN FUTURE ?

as for me, i just cant imagine myself raising an 'MGBÈKÈ' (as the ibo's call them) and call him/her my child in this day and age

I take back my previous post. This is even more ludicrous

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by annast: 2:46pm On May 06, 2013
Mother-tongue, indigenous or heart language is the language of spontaneity, the language of invention and creativity. Bill Gates who dropped out of school was able to build the Microsoft empire, a feat almost practically impossible in Africa, where tertiary education and the mastery of the colonial languages are synonymous with success. In China and other successful economies of East Asia, indigenous languages are promoted alongside other international languages making all members of the society to have a sense of belonging. This also preserves the local knowledge that would have been lost in attempts at translation. Africa, however, is yet to recover from the western imperial powers’ forceful subjection of the continent and the people to its (Western) memory, through imposition of the colonial language.

Read more: http://chikaforafrica.com/2011/10/04/on-language-and-knowledge/

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by dayokanu(m): 2:48pm On May 06, 2013
Colo mentality.

How can you grow up in Nigeria and not speak a local language

Its like a Russian, Chinese, Mexican , Brazilian who grew up in their country and cant speak their language

Imagine if in a foreign country someone ask you whats your local Language you say Yoruba and you cant speak it?

4 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by ThinkMe: 2:48pm On May 06, 2013
This did not just start today and, permit me to say, it cant be stopped now. Or will you attend a job interview expecting it to come in local dialect. Discussing with your child in English is just another way of helping him/her to understand it better and be fluent.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by misterseed(m): 2:50pm On May 06, 2013
It is not proper even in England. The problem is, we suffer from inferiority complex. The English they learn at school is more than enough for them. People equate speaking English with intelligence. that is a fallacy. But, will they listen.

2 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 2:53pm On May 06, 2013
dhrey: olodo,english is our 2nd language.

So because I disagree with you, you resort to insults? Are you able to get your points across in a civil way?

You need to learn some basic manners, and don't assume everyone speaks the same language as you do, or even understands it.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 2:57pm On May 06, 2013
Acidosis: If you must teach your child the british language (leaving the mother tongue for the 'old schools') please stop giving/calling/identifying them with indigenous/local names e.g Bolanle, Chukwuka, Emeka, Akpos, Osaze, Musa, etc.. It will only make you a dunce, hypocrite.,

As long as the parents that choose to teach their children English first and foremost are happy, their children are happy, why should you worry?
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by biolabee(m): 3:03pm On May 06, 2013
nuelnuel: Urdu is not common language in India.it is common in Pakistan not India

Ok for urdu substitute Hindi
the idea is still the same
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by idike: 3:11pm On May 06, 2013
nene1: Hello all,

I think it is equally important for the child to learn both languages. Like another poster said, English is the commercial language of the world and most popular with French 2nd. For almost any job, unless you live in a country where English is not the official language, you need to know English. It is very useful worldwide. What I plan on doing when I get married and start a family is teach my child both. Maybe my husband will speak English to our children when they are young and I will speak to them in our native language. When they begin school and get a chance to speak English everyday with their peers, then we will transition to speaking our native language completely in our home. If my husband happens to be from another ethnic group, we will begin with English until the child begins school. Then we will both begin to speak in our diff native languages to the kids. I think when they are very young is the best time to each them English and their native language. They absorb everything better then.

One can be very well versed in your language and culture while at the same time being modern. You can be fluent in many languages. As the world is becoming more globalized, it helps to learn many languages. I think for international use, knowing both English and French is very helpful.

You've said it all. I grew up in a village and i found speaking nice and correct English as an uphil task even till i completed my secondary school education. It took more than enough time to get myself acclamatized when i got admission into Polytechnic before proceeding to University. I, therefore, made up my mind to embrace English as a first language for my unborn children. Today my daughter is just 3 years and she speaks fluent English better than her dad and mum and even fathoms the local language and reacts when her mum and i communicate at home.

There is nothing bad in using English as a first language for your kids if you do not want them to lag behind among their peers. It is significant to expose them-kids to the modus operandi of English Language at their infant stage because the brain is sharp to accomondate as many languages as possible. Mind you the most widely spoken language in the world today is English. It is the language of communication and business. Guys from rural area should please make English as a first language for thier kids and other languages would be added unto it.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Acidosis(m): 3:16pm On May 06, 2013
naijababe:

Gimme a high five man!
smiley smiley
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by sansan13(m): 3:16pm On May 06, 2013
its really sad, me and my siblings that were born in america ( still live in us) can speak our native language my parents make sure we speak it at home and we can also speak english pretty well. I was surprise that most of my cousins back in nigeria dont know how to speak our native language, whenever i talk to them i always speak my native language mix with english but they can never speak it. i was so embarrassed for them.

2 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Acidosis(m): 3:20pm On May 06, 2013
Siena:

As long as the parents that choose to teach their children English first and foremost are happy, their children are happy, why should you worry?

smiley its okay
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by redsun(m): 3:24pm On May 06, 2013
It is an abomination if they don't to speak their native language while they speak only english language in their their own country,with two indigenous parents.It is a scheme that breeds the mentally enslaved to ignore the fundamental things that make them beings for foreign cultures,languages and impositions.

Language is the rhythm of life and it has to be yours for it to make sense and connect.

3 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Acidosis(m): 3:25pm On May 06, 2013
sansan13: its really sad, me and my siblings that were born in america ( still live in us) can speak our native language my parents make sure we speak it at home and we can also speak english pretty well. I was surprise that most of my cousins back in nigeria dont know how to speak our native language, whenever i talk to them i always speak my native language mix with english but they can never speak it. i was so embarrassed for them.

can you imagine.. sad

gross embarrasment..! sad
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by 360command: 3:27pm On May 06, 2013
OCTAVO: Personally, I was raised by my parents to speak our local dialect from childhood, now I'm an adult and I'm not doing bad at all when it comes to speaking good English.
Is there any special importance attached to raising a child to speak English language in Nigeria?

Yes there is, so as our next generation wont get to pay money to write TOEFL and IELTS instead Nigerians can now apply direct to a university abroad without writing English test as a foreign language . grin grin grin grin
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by UjSizzle(f): 3:27pm On May 06, 2013
My parents thought me to speak English as a child, I learnt Igbo cause i developed a passion for learning my native tongue. My parents noticed this and helped me along the way, other part of it came ftrom boarding school. Today i speak both English and Igbo fluently, and when people ask why i can't speak Yoruba since i wa born in Lagos i say 'I was more concerbed about learning my native tongue'. Igbos think this is super impressive, Yorubas call me a tribalist.

Bottomline....Do whatever you feel is best for you and your family. Ain't nobody's business.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

She Wants A Maid I Don't Like / Man Seeks Dissolution Of Marriage Over Wife’s Waywardness / Why Do Married Men Have Affairs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.