Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,853 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? (16468 Views)

Is It By Force To Take Your Child To Santa? (Photo) / Is It Proper For A Wife To Wear A 'g-string'? Please Help / Making Love & Raising A Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by ayox2003: 3:31pm On May 06, 2013
Yoruba first, english second! Both will blend as time goes on!

C'mon, I'm an african!

Frawzey

3 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by VeektourStober(m): 3:34pm On May 06, 2013
Mst tymz I feel vry bad dt I ws nt brut up wif ma own nativ lang. 'Igbo'.. Nw as an adult, 'm tryn hrd 2 put ma plac in ma nativ dialect. $ itz a promiz dt ma own childrn wil b brut up wif d igbo lang 1st b4 any oda lang. ...

2 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by icnsystem(m): 3:35pm On May 06, 2013
It's widely believed in the west that sub-sahara African lack strong sense of identity.Though as a black African i found this analysis very insulting and repulsive.But a careful reflection and study of our society will attest to the authenticity of this claim.Nowhere across the world are kids forced to speak foreign languages and culture at the expense of mother's tongue at home.
Even ex-British colonies of India,pakistan,west-indies,e.t.c, children are raised with native language and culture thereby giving them very strong sense of identity.But Today,it's only in sub-sahara Africa,we have these backward mentality that equates fluency in English as measure of intelligent quotient.That is the biggest lie and propaganda.A sub-Sahara African child raised at home with native language and culture fare better in life intellectually & morally than the kids raised entirely with western values and language.Conduct an empirical research before antagonising me.
Back in my days in school, we were told that speaking our native language was vernacular and we pay fine if anyone is caught speaking native language in class.That's the greatest fraud and blackmail accepted by our parents because they lack sense of identity.Most socio-cultural values of sub-sahara Africa origin are fast vanishing because our parents denied us values that reflect our heritage through native language.We know that written tradition is easier to pass to next generation than oral tradition.That's sub-sahara's misfortune
Even if you have FIRST CLASS PHD in English or other foreign language there are still core socio-cultural values you cannot decipher from these foreign language.Not until i travelled to Europe,i never knew that the white man blackmailed us by telling us our language was vernacular and speaking queens English is sign of intelligence and accomplishments.What a fraud

4 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by UjSizzle(f): 3:39pm On May 06, 2013
Veektour Stober: Mst tymz I feel vry bad dt I ws nt brut up wif ma own nativ lang. 'Igbo'.. Nw as an adult, 'm tryn hrd 2 put ma plac in ma nativ dialect. $ itz a promiz dt ma own childrn wil b brut up wif d igbo lang 1st b4 any oda lang. ...

If you had been brought up with Igbo, you'd probably wish today that you were taught English instead.
How about you teach your kids to have the mind to make their own decisions instead..and do it right. That way irrespective of how they are brought up, they'll still see how important it is to learn either the English language or their native tongue as the case may be.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by OCTAVO: 3:42pm On May 06, 2013
icnsystem: It's widely believed in the west that sub-sahara African lack strong sense of identity.Though as a black African i found this analysis very insulting and repulsive.But a carefully reflection and study of our society will attest to the authenticity of this claim.Nowhere across the world where kids are forced to speak foreign languages and culture at the expense of mother's at home.
[b]Even ex-British colonies of India,pakistan,west-indies,e.t.c, children learn are raised with mothers language and culture their them very strong sense of identity.But Today in sub-sahara Africa,we these backward mentality that equate fluency in English as measure of intelligent quotient.That is the biggest lie and propaganda.A sub-Sahara African child raised at home with native language and culture are fare better in life intellectually & morally than the kids raised entirely with western values.Conduct your study before antagonising me.
Back in my days in school, we were told that speaking our native language was vernacular and we pay fine if anyone is caught speaking native language in class.That's the greatest fraud and blackmail accepted by our parents because they lack sense of identity.Most values we have are fast vanishing because our parents denied us values (not written)that reflect our heritage through our language which our identity.We know that written tradition is easier to pass to next generation than oral tradition.
Even if you have FIRST CLASS PHD in English or other foreign language there are still core socio-cultural values you cannot decipher from these foreign language.[/b] Not until i travelled to Europe,i never knew that the white man blackmailed us by telling us our language was vernacular and speaking queens English is sign of intelligence and accomplishments.What a fraud
A thousand likes!!! Especially @ bolded. smiley

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Afam4eva(m): 3:42pm On May 06, 2013
Siena:

That's where you're wrong. English is our first language, our native languages come second.
Says who?
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by OCTAVO: 3:42pm On May 06, 2013
icnsystem: It's widely believed in the west that sub-sahara African lack strong sense of identity.Though as a black African i found this analysis very insulting and repulsive.But a carefully reflection and study of our society will attest to the authenticity of this claim.Nowhere across the world where kids are forced to speak foreign languages and culture at the expense of mother's at home.
[b]Even ex-British colonies of India,pakistan,west-indies,e.t.c, children learn are raised with mothers language and culture their them very strong sense of identity.But Today in sub-sahara Africa,we these backward mentality that equate fluency in English as measure of intelligent quotient.That is the biggest lie and propaganda.A sub-Sahara African child raised at home with native language and culture are fare better in life intellectually & morally than the kids raised entirely with western values.Conduct your study before antagonising me.
Back in my days in school, we were told that speaking our native language was vernacular and we pay fine if anyone is caught speaking native language in class.That's the greatest fraud and blackmail accepted by our parents because they lack sense of identity.Most values we have are fast vanishing because our parents denied us values (not written)that reflect our heritage through our language which our identity.We know that written tradition is easier to pass to next generation than oral tradition.
Even if you have FIRST CLASS PHD in English or other foreign language there are still core socio-cultural values you cannot decipher from these foreign language.[/b] Not until i travelled to Europe,i never knew that the white man blackmailed us by telling us our language was vernacular and speaking queens English is sign of intelligence and accomplishments.What a fraud
A thousand likes!!! Especially @ bolded. smiley

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 3:44pm On May 06, 2013
Language serves two functions: communication and identity. I don't think anyone would willingly sacrifice one for the other, at least, not in their right mind.

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by biolabee(m): 3:44pm On May 06, 2013
niyimat:

on point.

once upon a time in the the cradle town of ile ife, Osun state. The education stake holders decided to build a primary school with the objective of using the local language Yoruba to teach all subjects except during English language classes from classes 1-6.

Only few academias obliged to enroll their children. I was one of the first set of pupils that were enrolled, we were about 30 in class.

The result was phenomena. Yoruba language was used to perform wonders. mathematics, integrated science, social studies, physical education name them were taught with the Yoruba language. we can recite numbers 1-1000 in yoruba, read, write and understand essays in yoruba. It was so much fun, learning was easy.
many of my colleagues did excellently well in their various secondary schools. The SP in the secondary school that I attended was one of my primary school colleagues.

Even though the school still exist, am not sure if the method really last for a long time in the wake of Englishspeaking syndrome, and private schools springing up everywhere.

in a nutshell, am a proponent of using the mother tougue to start with an infant @least 60%. This will develop the child intellectually, more of the mother tougue and any other ones can follow.

This is a unique idea and please what's the name of the school
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Afam4eva(m): 3:49pm On May 06, 2013
safarigirl: Is it proper? No
Is it popular? Yes

The only thing I have against local language is that accent it could leave some kids with, so that even when such person is making an intelligent statement, it sounds like it's coming from an illiterate. So I guess a balance of both is better...teach the language, not the strong intonation that affects one's eloquence
Africans can be funny walahi. So, apart from speaking English, you also want to have British or American accent? That's the height of inferiority complex. Don't stop there. Also bleach your skin to look like them. Don't also forget your Brazillian hair. I can't believe how people could hate their own skin.

5 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by honeychild(f): 3:50pm On May 06, 2013
naijababe:

I have never read anything more ludicrous on this forum. The sooner we begin to understand the importance of being secure in one's identity the better for us all.

We are all entitled to our own opinions. I was raised speaking English as my first language. Around 7 or 8 my folks started to speak my native language to us. Today I speak both Yoruba (my native language) and Hausa fluently. (I grew up in the north). Sometimes I have to struggle for the Yoruba or Hausa equivalent of an English word but that has not detracted in any way from my academic or professional achievement.

I would rather stumble over a word in my native tongue than find myself in an exam hall or at a job interview struggling to find the right English word to express my Yoruba thoughts!

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by EddyWorld(m): 3:56pm On May 06, 2013
Qqq
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by dayokanu(m): 4:02pm On May 06, 2013
EddyWorld: I found some posts a little bit amazing. Is it a crime in a country where English is the official language if one decides to raise his kids in English? I'm happy at least the poster said this is more common among the elites of the Nigerian society. That speaks volumes; maybe they know better and the more reason they are destined to rule. They understand the rule of the game and what it takes to be at the helm.

Actually this is wrong

The elites speak their local language

Obasanjo speaks Yoruba, Tinubu speaks Yoruba

If Dangote meets with IBB they would never speak in English strictly Hausa. Same with their children

Its the children of wannabees that imbibe this English attitude

And can you tell me one benefit of NOT speaking your mother tongue?

Speaking English to your kids doesnt make them understand and excel better in English

Your kids would still have an accent a Nigerian accent

If a foreigner sees 2 Nigerians one speaks his mother tongue and English, One doesnt speak How do you think he would view both?

Its the struggling wannabee middle class that gives this rule of dont speak vernacular

2 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by ismokeweed1(f): 4:03pm On May 06, 2013
naijababe:

I take back my previous post. This is even more ludicrous

why do you think so? or are you also one of those people that write 'HAVE' and pronounce it as 'HAFF' ?
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Afam4eva(m): 4:10pm On May 06, 2013
There are so many slave wannabees on the thread. It's really sickening.

My grouse is not even that a lot of parents teach their kids English but the fact that they make a deliberate attempt to not make them speak their local language. Even when the kids go out of their way, the parents will puish their kid cos in their slave mind, learning a local language will spoil their English. This is ludicrous.

I think the government has to do something to nip this stupidity in the bud. They have to make it a must for you to be able to speak your language in order to gain admission into the university or to get a job.

Say NO to slavery.

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Itoroetti(m): 4:14pm On May 06, 2013
Siena: The age old debate again...

There's nothing wrong in teaching one's children to speak English in Nigeria. My parents actively encouraged it, and spoke English to myself and my siblings whilst we were growing up, my grandparents spoke to us in a native-pidgin mix.

The point remains parents are free to bring their children up the way they deem fit, there's no right or wrong. Native or English, everyone has a choice.
ur mentality needs upgrading.u nid to go and tone ur skin so u'l becoming"white".since u see nothing wrong abt it

3 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by EddyWorld(m): 4:17pm On May 06, 2013
Afam4eva: There are so many slave wannabees on the thread. It's really sickening.

My grouse is not even that a lot of parents teach their kids English but the fact that they make a deliberate attempt to not make them speak their local language. Even when the kids go out of their way, the parents will puish their kid cos in their slave mind, learning a local language will spoil their English. This is ludicrous.

I think the government has to do something to nip this stupidity in the bud. They have to make it a must for you to be able to speak your language in order to gain admission into the university or to get a job.

Say NO to slavery.

This is the most ridiculous thing and I bet you that such a bill will not even get a single vote in the House of Representatives. What has learning your local dialect got to do with academic performance in the university? This is 21st century and not the Stone Age. Please wake up!
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by EzePromoe: 4:22pm On May 06, 2013
greatgod2012: In my own opinion, i think not allowing your children speak your indigeneus language is like telling them, indirectly, that, you are not proud of your tribe and its language, atleast, if you are proud of a thing, you will want people to identify you with that thing, and i notice that its mostly common with we yorubas, you can hardly find an igbo or hausa kids, who will not be proud to speak their indigenous languages, even, in public places, but, we yorubas,......hhhhmmmmm, may God help us.
Even we Igbos think likewise grin
We use Yorubas and Hausas as example of people who value their cultures, and here's another Yoruba being wary, and making examples with Igbo and Hausa. And i'm sure that some Hausa peeps will also be thinking same.
This is one reason why neither of these languages will go into extinction even in the next 1000 years. Everyone is wary of the other. Noone wants his/her own to die while others live with theirs.

2 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by dayokanu(m): 4:22pm On May 06, 2013
EddyWorld:

This is the most ridiculous thing and I bet you that such a bill will not even get a single vote in the House of Representatives. What has learning your local dialect got to do with academic performance in the university? This is 21st century and not the Stone Age. Please wake up!

Almost every Hispanic kid born in the US speak Spanish in addition to English

So what Stone age mentality are we talking about here?

Every Indian speaks their local language

So tell us what advantage a Nigerian born kid who speaks only English have over those who speak both English and their local language

2 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Afam4eva(m): 4:27pm On May 06, 2013
EddyWorld:

It's in the same 21st century that Indians who were colonized by the British just like us speak their language more than English.

It's in the same century that the French, Spanish, Germans, Italians etc still speak their language. It seems it's only our language that's not condusive for the 21st century. Take your slave talk somewhere else abeg.

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Biggyd2: 4:29pm On May 06, 2013
Make una no worry, when oyibo come back come teach us our own language na dat time you go hear some pipo wey dey yarn dust for here come tell us say 'Nigerian languages now sound sexi'. I laff in chiko!

See as oyibo dey pieces yoruba for dis vid, kai!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk1aPBazfjo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNalAJOrl28
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by EddyWorld(m): 4:34pm On May 06, 2013
dayokanu:

Almost every Hispanic kid born in the US speak Spanish in addition to English

So what Stone age mentality are we talking about here?

Every Indian speaks their local language

So tell us what advantage a Nigerian born kid who speaks only English have over those who speak both English and their local language

Some of us are yet to embrace the diversity that Nigeria is made up. You forgot that these countries you mentioned have their national language or a common language. Do we have such? We are so different in different ways culturally in Nigeria that English as a common or 'so called foreign' language has found a natural acceptance.

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by dayokanu(m): 4:39pm On May 06, 2013
EddyWorld:

Some of us are yet to embrace the diversity that Nigeria is made up. You forgot that these countries you mentioned have their national language or a common language. Do we have such? We are so different in different ways culturally in Nigeria that English as a common or 'so called foreign' language has found a natural acceptance. If you think some Yorubas are not encouraging their kids to communicate in their local language, go to PH where there are close to 20 different indigenous languages and see what go on in families and even in the work place. I worked in a top financial institution years back in PH that even banned the use of local dialects for very good reasons. So, would you call that slavery?

In India they have several languages too and almost every Indian I met speaks his own Native tongue whether Gujarati, Telugu Hindi etc That has not stopped them from rising to the top of their careers in any field they want

You speak English at work nothing stops you from speaking your local language at home

You still havent told us what advantage a Nigerian raised in Nigeria and doesnt speak his native language have over someone who speaks both

Piyush Bobby Jindal is an Indian born boy He is governor of Louisiana and in addition to English he speaks his native Indian languages. So tell me why his knowledge of his native dialect hasnt stopped him from achieving anything

3 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by escobar07(m): 4:58pm On May 06, 2013
its crazy the kind of emphasis parents place on it. to them: if my child small can speak english, he/she is intelligent. fallacious, you might say. The annoying thing is there are many kids nowadays who only have a smattering of their local language. when it come to english in class, you see them getting E8s(knew some back then). Parents should remember that language is the soul of any culture; lose it, u lose everything. Why the neglect when a child can comfortably learn multiple languages at once?
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by playahP(m): 5:05pm On May 06, 2013
I'm a living "testimony"

At the age of 7 I couldn't make a complete sentence in English!
My English was as a matter of fact appalling...... But here I am today.
I made an A1 in my waec english back then.

I get disgusted when I see children that can't speak their language...

Its not like the parents speak Englsih with the proper accent and pronunciation to them.... Its still d same "jagbajantis" english... Mmmmttchew!!

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by gabbytabby: 5:08pm On May 06, 2013
I take my children to Nigeria during long summer holidays with the hope that they will get better at speaking the local language and I have to say I am so disappointed that all their peers speak exclusively in English and I keep wondering why. At least have one parent speak to them in the native language and the other in English so that they learn both. If not we really need the grand parents to come and speak the native to them cos I think its really a mistake to not teach them the native tongue.

3 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 5:25pm On May 06, 2013
i-smoke-weed:

why do you think so? or are you also one of those people that write 'HAVE' and pronounce it as 'HAFF' ?

grin grin grin grin grin. We do not have the 'v' sound in my mother tongue neither do the Dutch! What's your point again?

honeychild:

We are all entitled to our own opinions. I was raised speaking English as my first language. Around 7 or 8 my folks started to speak my native language to us. Today I speak both Yoruba (my native language) and Hausa fluently. (I grew up in the north). Sometimes I have to struggle for the Yoruba or Hausa equivalent of an English word but that has not detracted in any way from my academic or professional achievement.

I would rather stumble over a word in my native tongue than find myself in an exam hall or at a job interview struggling to find the right English word to express my Yoruba thoughts!

If language is reduced to the bolded part of your statement, then I can't help you. Ever wondered why Wole Soyinka and the late Chinua Achebe are so highly revered?! I'll leave you to ponder on that for now.

2 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 5:25pm On May 06, 2013
@gabby you better start doing it on your own rather than waiting for grandparents before its too late.

I speak Yoruba to my kids even in school, wetin I wan say e do me when other parents ( mostly Indians and chincos) speak their native language to their Nationwide Spelling Bee champions.

Me: Bata eh da ( where are your shoes ?)
Kid: My shoe?
Me : en lo mu wa ( go get it in your cubby)
Kid: okay mom
Mom: ki lo fe je? ( what'd you guys want for supper?)
Kid: Pizza & salad

Can't speak yet but we will get there grin grin baby steps.

To each and his owns blah blah

Ish!

2 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 5:26pm On May 06, 2013
bebe2: Fact the nigerian languages is dying n, it will die! There are too many of them. If it was just 1 for the 160 million or even 10 then it might survive but "one kilometre meets another language??" Never, give it two more generation max n it will be extinct. The yoruba might survive a bit longer.
........i am very sure Yoruba will go into extinction first.........hausa will surely be d last
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 5:30pm On May 06, 2013
jidegirl12: @gabby you better start doing it on your own rather than waiting for grandparents before its too late.

I speak Yoruba to my kids even in school, wetin I wan say e do me when other parents ( mostly Indians and chincos) speak their native language to their Nationwide Spelling Bee champions.

Me: Bata eh da ( where are your shoes ?)
Kid: My shoe?
Me : en lo mu wa ( go get it in your cubby)
Kid: okay mom
Mom: ki lo fe je? ( what'd you guys want for supper?)
Kid: Pizza & salad

Can't speak yet but we will get there grin grin baby steps.

To each and his owns blah blah

Ish!

I tire o. How difficult can it be?! My kiddos' school has a large ex-pat population, the car park is always a cacophony of sounds at pick up and drop off. Why I no go kon add my own

I have just started bribing my daughter to speak to me in Yoruba too, she sounds like 'egun' but I am loving it and she loves the bribes.

3 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 5:39pm On May 06, 2013
Naijababe I will follow your footsteps on that one now, bribe abi, we are on grin they kneel down to greet everybody now , just unbearable hearing those knees clucking on hard surfaces grin but it's okay they'll learn.

Come see Chinese and East Indians toodlers speak their language at gymnastics changing room, I feel like knocking myself on the head sometimes.

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 6:00pm On May 06, 2013
jidegirl12: Naijababe I will follow your footsteps on that one now, bribe abi, we are on grin they kneel down to greet everybody now , just unbearable hearing those knees clucking on hard surfaces grin but it's okay they'll learn.

Come see Chinese and East Indians toodlers speak their language at gymnastics changing room, I feel like knocking myself on the head sometimes.

I swear to you Jide, you are not the only one. I marvel at the way they switch so quickly too. My daughter's best friend is French, in one fell swoop the lil angel is replying her mother in French and talking to babette in perfect and flawless English. Shame dey catch me plenty times o when I see that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Do Married Men Have Affairs? / Can This Happen In Our Country Nigeria Mother And Son (PHOTO) / Find A Way, Not An Excuse!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.