Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,718 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? (16461 Views)

Is It By Force To Take Your Child To Santa? (Photo) / Is It Proper For A Wife To Wear A 'g-string'? Please Help / Making Love & Raising A Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Assessor(m): 2:45pm On May 07, 2013
greatgod2012: In my own opinion, i think not allowing your children speak your indigeneus language is like telling them, indirectly, that, you are not proud of your tribe and its language, atleast, if you are proud of a thing, you will want people to identify you with that thing, and i notice that its mostly common with we yorubas, you can hardly find an igbo or hausa kids, who will not be proud to speak their indigenous languages, even, in public places, but, we yorubas,......hhhhmmmmm, may God help us.

Well, in my own house, we (hubby and i) ensure that our children understand our language very well, infact, its a rule that........
1. You must know the yoruba meaning of whatever you are talking about, so anytime they see a new thing, which they know its english name, i tell them the yoruba meaning and ask them to address the thing in yoruba for a whole week, except in school.
2. Once i speak to you in yoruba, you must respond in yoruba, and it has helped them a great deal to speak the language fluently.

The mistake our people makes is that, once a child speaks totally in English, it makes the child a brilliant child, which is not true sometimes, or even most times, i remember one of my secondary school mates, who could speak english like mad, but repeated S.S1 three time, and the fourth time, she was advised to withdraw, because it was a laid down rule in my school then, that, once a student repeat a class three times, and she also repeat the fourth time, she would be advised to withdraw, but, you need to know this girl, then, even, oyinbo man could not speak english fluently as she used to, but, gbogbo e.....odo ni.
@all, lets all embrace our indigenous languages, and also encourage our kids to embrace it. teni n teni, takisa ni t'aatan.
May God help us.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by biolabee(m): 5:18pm On May 07, 2013
naijababe:

The Indians this side of the planet must be fake ones.

How and what poeple choose to raise their kids on isn't the problem, what grates is people stating the superiority of their choice.

Indians that will kill their children if they dare marry a black.. forget thier language.. never!
grin
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 5:33pm On May 07, 2013
biolabee:

Indians that will kill their children if they dare marry a black.. forget thier language.. never!
grin

Abere overemphasis caricatures , don't get me started, again undecided
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by biolabee(m): 5:41pm On May 07, 2013
jidegirl12:

Abere overemphasis caricatures , don't get me started, again undecided

madam jide... wetin happen again

I dey on a ketro level

cheesy

how bodi
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 7:14pm On May 07, 2013
Afi ketro level na undecided been to indie -Nigerian wedding ( scholars not worworh people) couple times so no need cooking up what you don't know/ scuttlebut t undecided okay?
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by biolabee(m): 8:19pm On May 07, 2013
@jidegirl12
Argument sha....
So one wedding means asians and blacks are one big family?

Read more below and because you know a lot does not means other people dont know jack

Africans staying in and around India's commercial capital, Mumbai (Bombay), complain of indiscriminate racism and constant police harassment, reports the BBC's Zubair Ahmed.

Nigerian Sambo Davis is married to an Indian woman and lives in Mumbai.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-21826366

Is this the last taboo?
By Tanya Datta
Producer, The Last Taboo

Mixed-race relationships are growing rapidly in the UK - but remain extremely low between black and Asian people, despite a shared history of struggle against racism.
"Basically there was a racial hierarchy. The first choice for marriage is someone in your own community, then after that, white is the next best thing. And after white, any other race in the world but black."

In a small flat in east London, Rena, a 27-year-old Briton of Indian descent, recalls the stark marital guidance she received from her father when she was younger.

It was advice that she chose to ignore, however, because, sitting and smiling alongside her is her fiancé, Tony, 30-year-old black Londoner of Ghanaian origin.

The warning from Rena's father reveals the depth of hostility and intolerance that can often confront Asian and black relationships from within their own communities.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/5071026.stm
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by kashman1(m): 2:13pm On Sep 11, 2014
yes it is proper
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by anthoniaz(f): 2:44pm On Sep 11, 2014
In a way, it's very good in the sense that, in Nigeria, there are different languages and one needs the English language to communicate with others.

My problem is that, it's not a MUST to speak simple and correct English. In my compound, you hear something like "Ejiro, have u throway the dirty?"(A supposed female Engineer, speaking that)her children will be like "Esiri, have mummy go to work?"

If you can teach your children, good, if you can't, teach them your dialect or pidgin.No be by force to speak English. Some parents take it like it's a do-or -die affair.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by EddyWorld(m): 10:35pm On Feb 07, 2016
[quote author=EddyWorld post=15593805]

Hmm
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Loluores: 11:25pm On Oct 25, 2017
The correct answer is: it's nobody's damn business what language(s) a child is raised, or wants, to speak. Only the caregivers, and the child him-/herself, get to make such a decision. So, forget about 'proper'.

My opinionated answer is: your question is just plain myopic. Bordering on totally silly. Majority of Nigerians are at least bilingual, which makes the country very, very amenable to second (and more) language acquisition, unlike a country such as the U.S. which is largely monolingual. Apart from that, anybody (child or adult), anywhere in the world, is capable of learning any number of languages they want, why are you focusing on just one? Forget all your silly tribal sentiments. Language teaching and learning isn't a matter of all the "oh, you need to appreciate your roots and culture of generations before you" sociolinguistic sentimentality, it's a matter of pure SKILL. That you were not able to speak English so well as an adult is simply a testament to the probably inferior quality of instruction you received for it. Your case does not necessarily apply to many other bilingual people who speak both English and their local tongue efficiently and fluently, so don't make generalisations.

Is there any special importance attached to raising a child to speak English language in Nigeria?

What a terrible question! Goodness, don't you realise that without English,or its pidgin variant, there's no entity called Nigeria? The nation state you claim to be a citizen of, except you're a secessionist? Even secessionist nations still retain some kind of homogenous lingua franca with which to properly conduct and maintain international relations. Small island countries like São Tomé have a uniform lingua franca. The world doesn't care for your mother tongue, that's the real, cold truth. Especially if your nation has no real value to offer the world and is so unbearably diverse, culturally and linguistically. You can choose to continue to stay in isolation, and train your child not to speak English, see how far that child will go in life in this global economy.

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Freedomforall: 3:30pm On Oct 26, 2017
Short and simple, If you are in Nigeria start with English. Once they have good command of English language, then, introduce an other language ( may be your local language) kids have the ablility to learn multiple languages. My friend children speak three languages. The country the live in is bilingual.

But if you live abroad, start with your local (if you want them to speak it) as they'll eventually learn English outside, cos 90-99% of their interactions will be in that language.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

She Wants A Maid I Don't Like / Man Seeks Dissolution Of Marriage Over Wife’s Waywardness / Why Do Married Men Have Affairs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.