Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,503 members, 7,830,514 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:38 AM

Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs - Sports (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs (53392 Views)

Super Eagles Arrive Abu Dhabi For Cote D’ Ivoire, Sudan Friendly / AWC 2012: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (3 - 1) On Saturday November-4-2012 / Nigeria Vs USA (0 - 2) U-20 Women's World Cup Semi-Final Full Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by solomon111(m): 9:00pm On Apr 27, 2013
imperiouxx: Even Pirlo the professional can't attempt such force-less PK. It was like a stunt to me angry
he wanted to try a panenka kick.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by imperiouxx(m): 9:00pm On Apr 27, 2013
solomon111: he wanted to try a panenka kick.

I see grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by chidexy(m): 9:02pm On Apr 27, 2013
zobo-i-zee:
Over confidence took better part of his brain. This our team have ego issue. One thing for sure, it is better we lost. Over-confidence and selfishness is an issue with this team. And the coach should work on the goalkeeper. He has being their weakest link so far in this competition. Very poor in his calculation aerially. Above all, beautiful team with lovely style of play.

Spot on. But Manu Garba should keep the team intact and work on the faults highlighted during this tournament
Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by ChikezieU(m): 9:03pm On Apr 27, 2013
chidexy: It's good that the boys lost in the final. At least, they'll have time to analyze their shortfalls and correct them before the world cup. If they had won, it would have been extremely difficult to identify those and work on them.

Manu Garba and his coaching crew have done an excellent job in assembling and molding the team. So off you go, roll your sleeves and get back to work - hopefully, the fatty bom boms at the NFF will let him be
yea you made a point has it been they won bet met me they wont win the world cup group stage
Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by Positiveminds(m): 9:07pm On Apr 27, 2013
Looking beyond the outcome of this match, the innocence of these lads just got me thinking. How much a better place the world would have been if the elderly ones would learn to take defeat that easily. These young lads exchanged their kits after the match: shirts and shorts were exchanged.
Why do we have killings, terrorism everywhere? Why is it that those who lose elections would make the country ungovernable? The hideous group called Boko Haram is a product of hate and the spirit of anger in defeat.
We all need to learn to accept defeat in good spirit. The world would be a better place if we do.
CONGRATULATION YOUND ELEPHANTS OF COTE D`VOIRE , CONGRATULATIONS EAGLETS OF NIGERIA!
ERIA

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by Nobody: 9:08pm On Apr 27, 2013
The Mods have removed the topic from the frontpage

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by Reference(m): 9:10pm On Apr 27, 2013
Ejiné:

I disagree.

We had the better PLAYERS, but not the better team... Atleast not yet.

If we're all to be honest with ourselves, the Eaglets started getting pretty selfish during the knockout games - their match with Tunisia was clear evidence.

Everybody wanted to shine; everybody wanted to look cool; everybody wanted to impress that English Premier League Club scout secretly lurking in the audience.

Even that move from Nwakali was an attempt at being badass which eventually didn't turn out as he had hoped.

But all the same, we should understand - These guys are still very young. As the years pass, so shall their team spirit and maturity increase.
There's a lot of potential here. The force is strong with them.

If you've watched Nigerian football properly over the years you'd realise teamwork and team spirit peaks at the U17 level and declines proportionally to maturity. The best teams this country has ever produced are always in the junior cadre. Anyone and any team that doesn't do well at this level has practically no hope moving forward. This is not europe or south america.

As a poser. Can you name one, just one player who has or is playing better in the Super Eagles than he did at U17 or U21 level, but the yellow pages are filled with great players who never made the transition.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by rypeers2: 9:10pm On Apr 27, 2013
Congratulations to the Nigerian team... i hope we maintain these guys 'cos they're the future
Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by Ejine(m): 9:12pm On Apr 27, 2013
CFCfan: The Mods have removed the topic from the frontpage

They're in their rooms now, crying.
I really wouldn't blame them grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by Ajibel(m): 9:12pm On Apr 27, 2013
CFCfan: The Mods have removed the topic from the frontpage

why? I noticed it too or is it b'cuz we lost
Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by Nobody: 9:13pm On Apr 27, 2013
Reference:

If you've watched Nigerian football properly over the years you'd realise teamwork and team spirit peaks at the U17 level and declines proportionally to maturity. The best teams this country has ever produced are always in the junior cadre. Anyone and any team that doesn't do well at this level has practically no hope moving forward. This is not europe or south america.

As a poser. Can you name one, just one player who has or is playing better in the Super Eagles than he did at U17 or U21 level, but the yellow pages are filled with great players who never made the transition.

The bolded is not entirely accurate. The Golden eaglets of 2003, crashed out in the group stage of the Finland U-17 world cup. However, Mikel Obi is still very much a prominent member of the Super Eagles

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by Nobody: 9:13pm On Apr 27, 2013
Ajibel:

Its back to the frontpage cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by imperiouxx(m): 9:16pm On Apr 27, 2013
Ajibel:

That guy vex them too much ni.
Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by SmoothLIFE: 9:16pm On Apr 27, 2013

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by olumidazz: 9:22pm On Apr 27, 2013
My grouse is why dint they show the game on NTA dstv, our govt. Is useless how many of us still dey buy ariel for local tv. Thank GOD for nairaland. We nigerians have far gone ahead of this irresponsible and insensitive government.
Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by Reference(m): 9:22pm On Apr 27, 2013
CFCfan:

The bolded is not entirely accurate. The Golden eaglets of 2003, crashed out in the group stage of the Finland U-17 world cup. However, Mikel Obi is still very much a prominent member of the Super Eagles

He is not playing better now than he did then. Review the tapes again and see what won him the silver ball in 2005. You will not believe the difference between him then and now.
Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by zoboizee: 9:22pm On Apr 27, 2013
I tot ghana won it twice.
Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by SmoothLIFE: 9:23pm On Apr 27, 2013
zobo-i-zee:
I tot ghana won it twice.

The tournament use to be U16 and Ghana won that once.
Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by seunlayi(m): 9:32pm On Apr 27, 2013
olumidazz: My grouse is why dint they show the game on NTA dstv, our govt. Is useless how many of us still dey buy ariel for local tv. Thank GOD for nairaland. We nigerians have far gone ahead of this irresponsible and insensitive government.
......meaning?
Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by honeric01(m): 9:33pm On Apr 27, 2013
SmoothLIFE: So here is the history of the tournament

Ghana - 3 titles
Nigeria - 2 titles
Ivory Coast - 2 titles
Gambia - 2 titles

Nigeria could have equaled Ghana if the team could have won!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_U-17_Championship

And what about the U16 we won? your link says Ghana won 2 and not 3.

BTW, this is the first time CIV'll be winning the U17 nations cup.

With everything spelt out for you on that link of yours, you're still goofing?
Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by SmoothLIFE: 9:44pm On Apr 27, 2013
U17

Ghana - 2 titles
Nigeria - 2 titles
Gambia - 2 titles
Ivory Coast - 1 title
grin grin grin grin grin

Nigeria were a penalty away from being number 1 at this level. I guess it was not meant to be.

The fact that Gambia has 2 titles here shows the level of age cheating. Nigeria presented 3 over-aged players and many more beat the system. In the end this tournament means nothing.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by honeric01(m): 9:49pm On Apr 27, 2013
SmoothLIFE: U17

Ghana - 2 titles
Nigeria - 2 titles
Ivory Coast - 2 titles
Gambia - 2 titles

grin grin grin grin grin

Nigeria were a penalty away from being number 1 at this level. I guess it was not meant to be.

You're still goofing? when did CIV win it twice?
Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by Nobody: 9:49pm On Apr 27, 2013
SmoothLIFE: U17

Ghana - 2 titles
Nigeria - 2 titles
Gambia - 2 titles
Ivory Coast - 1 title
grin grin grin grin grin

The fact that Gambia has 2 titles here shows the level of age cheating. Nigeria presented 3 over-aged players and many more beat the system. In the end this tournament means nothing.

Ivory coast has 1 title according to that link though.
Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by SmoothLIFE: 9:50pm On Apr 27, 2013
honeric01:

You're still goofing? when did CIV win it twice?

I can already see 2015 wink wink wink wink
Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by honeric01(m): 9:51pm On Apr 27, 2013
SmoothLIFE:

I can already see 2015 wink wink wink wink

Simple peep and type, you can't do, yet you want to predict 2015? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by Nobody: 9:52pm On Apr 27, 2013
African soccer powerhouse
1.ghana
2.cameroon/Nigeria
3.egypt
4.ivory coast

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by SmoothLIFE: 9:52pm On Apr 27, 2013
This is what caused confusion. The old U16's were not a tournament but home and away fixtures.
Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by SmoothLIFE: 10:01pm On Apr 27, 2013
The Ivory Coast emerged winners of the African Under-17 Championship in Morocco after defeating Nigeria on penalties on Saturday.

The game ended 1-1 in regulation time and went straight to penalties accordance to FIFA regulation for the under-17s.

The Ivorians won the spot kick by 5-4.

The Nigerians began well with Izu Omego putting his team one goal up after seven minutes.

Ivory Coast struggled to cope with the pacy Nigerians until the 26th minute when Chris Bile Bedia evened the game.

Bedia's goal came against the run of play after poor defending by the Nigerian led to goalkeeper, Adeyinka Adewale gifting the ball after coming off his line.

Within the next six minutes, Ifeanyi Matthew and Chiedbere Nwakali came close to restoring Nigeria's lead before the break.

Three minutes into the second half, Musa Yahaya was played into a scoring opportunity with sight at goal after a superb offensive play but he could only hit the side-net.

On 52 minutes, Bedia was in position to score a second goal for the Ivorians with a close range header but Adewale reacted well.

The tournament's leading scorer, Isaac Success, found himself inside the Ivory Coast's penalty area but shot really wide.

Inside the last 20 minutes, Nigeria thought they had a penalty shout when Success was bundled down in the goal area by four Ivorian defenders.

But with 16 minutes left, goalscorer Omego was sent off by the centre referee, Mahamadou Keita from Mali for an elbow offence.

However, it was Nwakali's miss during the penalty shootout that proved to be Nigeria's undoing as Franck Kessie, Jean Chester Diallo, Bekanty Angban, Aboubacar Keita and Dogbole Niangbo scored all five kicks for the Ivorians to be crowned African champions.

http://www.supersport.com/football/african-youth-championships/news/130427/Ivory_Coast_are_African_U17_champs
Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by Nobody: 10:06pm On Apr 27, 2013
We lost again?! Is the AFCON U-17 over?

Did we come in as second place?
Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by jamst(m): 10:12pm On Apr 27, 2013
zobo-i-zee:
Over confidence took better part of his brain. This our team have ego issue. One thing for sure, it is better we lost. Over-confidence and selfishness is an issue with this team. And the coach should work on the goalkeeper. He has being their weakest link so far in this competition. Very poor in his calculation aerially. Above all, beautiful team with lovely style of play.
you took these words out of my mouth...very on point!
Re: Nigeria Vs Cote D' Ivoire (4-5): AFCON U-17 Final *Full Time* CIV Win By PKs by elampiro(m): 10:15pm On Apr 27, 2013
The coach should look for another goalkeeper, then a solid central defender. These were our weaknesses in the matches against Tunisia and Ivory Coast. The goalkeeper doesn't calculate his movement in aerial balls while the central defenders allowed Tunisia to bullied them with set pieces.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (23) (Reply)

Tiote's Corpse Arrives Ivory Coast, Received By Kolo Toure, Wilfried Bony, Kalou / Lionel Messi Spotted Doing His Grocery Shopping In Miami USA / Nigeria Vs Kenya : AWCON 2016 (4 - 0) On 26th November 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.