Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,513 members, 7,836,964 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:06 PM

Nigerian Hosts: Joining Issues - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nigerian Hosts: Joining Issues (995 Views)

How Do I Deploy My Web Apps To Live Online Web Hosts? / Web Hosts That Has E-library Php Suite On The C-panel / Nigerian Web Hosts Vs Foreign Web Hosts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Hosts: Joining Issues by jeshurun07: 1:27am On Apr 13, 2008
i have made an earlier post on this topic but from what i have heard so far, i believe i have to be more explicit:

i am a website designer and i correspond with alot of web designers and from reports and personal experience, i can tell u that many hosts simply don't measure up too well.

that doesn't mean they are all bad but the truth is from my little note-comparing that i have done with some of my colleagues both online and offline, i can tell u that many naija web hosts are way behind.

some of the offenses usually labeled against them are:

1) Poor customer service.

2) frequent server breakdown.

3) collection of payment without corresponding provision of the service paid for.

4) Registration of domain names in THEIR OWN NAMES - many don't even know this is a criminal practice, web designers included.

I want anyone who has had similar experience to say so in this thread but more importantly i want nairalanders to proffer solutions on these problems and also give hints on how to fish out the bad eggs from the good ones.
Re: Nigerian Hosts: Joining Issues by niyyie(m): 8:37am On Apr 13, 2008
Most people behind such "web hosts" are only into it for the money. Pure and simple. They know next to nothing about the Internet, talk-less about web hosting and how to run a web hosting account. Some even know nothing about how to run a business so how do you expect quality service from people like that? I'd also state here that this problem is not limited to Nigeria. It happens in other countries as well. Such quack web hosts eventually fold-up and disappear with their clients' files and data.

Just a few days ago, a fellow phoned me here in Ghana asking for help with setting-up a reseller web hosting account with Web4Africa. I was alarmed when he specifically stated that he had no experience with running websites and only sees web hosting business as a means of making money online.

Many have signed-up for reseller hosting only to fall-back on the real web host for basic technical support. My point is simple: most of the people behind web hosting services in Nigeria are better-off as web hosting affiliates. If you're into web hosting only for the money, then simply sign-up as an affiliate. Many leading web hosts around the world offer affiliate programs. Promote the real web host's services and earn money from direct referrals. Save yourself the trouble of running a business you know nothing about.
Re: Nigerian Hosts: Joining Issues by Afam(m): 1:03pm On Apr 13, 2008
jeshurun07:

some of the offenses usually labeled against them are:

1) Poor customer service.

Can you be more explicit on this one? Some clients believe service providers should do anything they want and when such requests are not granted I believe the issue of customer service does not arise. But of course you may throw more light on this one so I can understand you.

jeshurun07:

2) frequent server breakdown.

Maxing out disk space especially with many or unlimited resellers on a server.

jeshurun07:

3) collection of payment without corresponding provision of the service paid for.

The law can help you on this one as it seems like pure fraud.

jeshurun07:

4) Registration of domain names in THEIR OWN NAMES - many don't even know this is a criminal practice, web designers included.

What is wrong in registering client domain names in service provider's name? If a client wants his/her name to come up on the whois database it is easy to edit the information. Ownership of a domain name goes beyond having your name on whois database.

jeshurun07:

I want anyone who has had similar experience to say so in this thread but more importantly i want nairalanders to proffer solutions on these problems and also give hints on how to fish out the bad eggs from the good ones.

Education and relevant knowledge.

(1) (Reply)

Connection String To The Server In Php / Free Web Design Tutorials For The Absolute Beginners. (wordpress) / Please Help Make My Website Mobile Compatible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.