Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,460 members, 7,812,408 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:55 PM

12 Things You Were Not Told Before You Got Married - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 12 Things You Were Not Told Before You Got Married (2510 Views)

This Little Girl Got Married In Northern Nigeria (Unconfirmed) / Photos: The Girl Who Got Married To A Portrait Finally Replied Linda Ikeji / A Nigerian Man Got Married To His Indian Girlfriend ( Pix Galleries) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Things You Were Not Told Before You Got Married by babylast(f): 10:45am On Apr 27, 2013
Hello NLs, I got this from a friend n like to share 12 Things You Were Not Told About Marriage
FEATURED
12 Things You Were Not Told About Marriage

Counting down to a decade in this great life school, I want to share a few thoughts you may not know until you enrol in this school of marriage. These are things you will learn on the job and work out for yourself. There is no “one size fits all” in this instance, I’m afraid.

1. The Marriage starts after the wedding.
We spend all the time, resources and energy planning the wedding, neglecting the real deal: the marriage. Some marriages failed from day one because of neglect and planning. You have given all to the wedding, snd have nothing left for the marriage. Marriage is a long process of adjustments, sacrifices, and compromises.

2. Marriage will not complete you.
If that’s your reason for getting married, you will be so disappointed. Marriage is not designed to complete you but to compliment you as a person. You need to develop a healthy ‘you’ to have a healthy relationship.

3. No matter how sweet your partner is, expect changes.
This may not be intentional or designed to hurt you, but circumstances, responsibilities and pressure will force changes in their life. You need to learn how to respond to changes positively.

4. Ready or not, your boat will be rocked. 
Your marriage will experience different seasons in your life time. Never judge your marriage based on just a season and decide to quit. Each season will either make your marriage stronger or weaker.

5. A beautiful face is not an ingredient for a successful marriage. 
I know you have to be physically attracted to each other, but don’t make it the only reason for walking down the aisle. There are beautiful and handsome pigs out there. Watch out for character, core values and temperament. I would rather marry an ‘ugly’ virtuous woman. By the way, my wife is beautiful – inside and out!

6. You will fall out of “love”. 
I’m sorry to burst your bubble, you will fall out of love no matter how deeply in love you are. The flame and passion will go down when life begins to happen. There will always be need to rekindle your love and reassess your commitment. Love become more practical than just a word or feelings.

7. Your marriage is not immune to temptation.
Your spouse faces temptation everyday. There is a need to establish boundaries together and pray for each other.

8. Children can be a tension point. 
Children, like other blessings in life can be blessings or a tension point in relationships. Learn to talk through how you want to manage your affairs.

9. The initial attraction will cool off in marriage. 
I sincerely don’t understand how that works but it is the truth.

10. Marriage will not make you happy. 
I wish I could tell you otherwise. If you are not happy before you get married, don’t expect your spouse to make you happy. It is not their job. It is your job! Your happiness depends on you and you alone.

11. There is no universal method or rule to make your marriage work. 
You need to work yours out with all diligence. What works for my marriage may not work for yours.

12. There is no perfect marriage! Don’t ever be fooled. You can have a healthy marriage.

4 Likes

Re: 12 Things You Were Not Told Before You Got Married by temi4fash(m): 10:56am On Apr 27, 2013
Word....

Make sense...
Re: 12 Things You Were Not Told Before You Got Married by Turbocharged: 11:20am On Apr 27, 2013
Spot on
Re: 12 Things You Were Not Told Before You Got Married by Nobody: 11:39am On Apr 27, 2013
Very true and real but its scaring me.@ op is this supposed to be an encouraging word or things to expect after the fairy tale wedding and glamour is gone So my sweet baby bot will change Especially for number 9
Re: 12 Things You Were Not Told Before You Got Married by Nobody: 11:43am On Apr 27, 2013
babylast:
6. You will fall out of “love”. 
I’m sorry to burst your bubble, you will fall out of love no matter how deeply in love you are. The flame and passion will go down when life begins to happen. There will always be need to rekindle your love and reassess your commitment. Love become more practical than just a word or feelings.

op, pls, i would like you to expansiate further on this point. When you fall out of the love, what keeps you going? I understand that you fall out of the love....i look at my parents or couples of over 10 years and I definitely know that they don't have that feelings that I have when I think about my boyfriend...but my question remains, what keeps the relationship going when those feelings dissappear? Is it the feeling that you're stuck or what? Please, explain! Other married folks can also explain. Please, if you're not married for 5 years and above, maybe you should not bother.
Re: 12 Things You Were Not Told Before You Got Married by greatgod2012(f): 11:43am On Apr 27, 2013
babylast:
12. There is no perfect marriage! Don’t ever be fooled. You can have a healthy marriage.

how i wish everyone understands this and stop comparing their marriages with another marriage.
No two marriages are the same and no perfect marriage anywhere, its all about COMMITMENT, COMPROMISE, TOLERANCE AND RESPECT FOR EACH OTHER.
May God help us all.
Re: 12 Things You Were Not Told Before You Got Married by greatgod2012(f): 12:09pm On Apr 27, 2013
alutacontinua:

op, pls, i would like you to expansiate further on this point. When you fall out of the love, what keeps you going? I understand that you fall out of the love....i look at my parents or couples of over 10 years and I definitely know that they don't have that feelings that I have when I think about my boyfriend...but my question remains, what keeps the relationship going when those feelings dissappear? Is it the feeling that you're stuck or what? Please, explain! Other married folks can also explain. Please, if you're not married for 5 years and above, maybe you should not bother.

i think im eligible to answer you, 8+ years and still counting...........

Now, to each his/her own, so, i believe it depends on the individuals involved, some couples dont fall out of love, that does not mean that they will not sometimes have disagreements, but they quickly resolve their disagreements, and they never come short of calling themselves beautiful names, also, they never stopped complimenting each other.
However, some do fall out of love, but the thought of the vow they have both made to each other binds them and they are stuck with eack other, and gradually, the love is formed again. May i put it that, those "falling out of love" we are talking about, are sometimes not intentional, to some, its the burden of financial and other responsibilities that is weighing them down, and he just concentrate on that, instead of not thinking much about it, so that the flame of love btwn him and his wiffy do not go down, and when this happens, the wife concludes that her hubby no longer love her and vice-versa.
And to some, they just have the feeling that after wedding, all these "kiddies play" (according to them, kissing in public, holding your partner's hand while walking, etc are all kiddies play)have to stop, so they start seeing their wives as just anybody and they dont even care to compliment them, to the wives of such, the women may just think that the men no longer love them, which most of the time, not really true.
And the last set are those who married for the wrong and selfish reasons, who are the ones that intentionally fall out of love, examples of their excuses include, shes has become bigger after childbirth, she want to be controlling me, shes no longer as beautiful as when we were dating, shes concentrating more on the kids, e.t.c........such men are the one who have really fall out of love, and its just an excuse for them to become infidels, and for their wives, its the vow and the fact that they have kids for each other that definately stuck them, if the matter do not eventually lead to divorce.
Hope i make sense sha.
May God help us all.
Re: 12 Things You Were Not Told Before You Got Married by Nobody: 12:15pm On Apr 27, 2013
greatgod2012:

Now, to each his/her own, so, i believe it depends on the individuals involved, some couples dont fall out of love, that does not mean that they will not sometimes have disagreements, but they quickly resolve their disagreements, and they never come short of calling themselves beautiful names, also, they never stopped complimenting each other.
However, some do fall out of love, but the thought of the vow they have both made to each other binds them and they are stuck with eack other, and gradually, the love is formed again. May i put it that, those "falling out of love" we are talking about, are sometimes not intentional, to some, its the burden of financial and other responsibilities that is weighing them down, and he just concentrate on that, instead of not thinking much about it, so that the flame of love btwn him and his wiffy do not go down, and when this happens, the wife concludes that her hubby no longer love her and vice-versa.
And to some, they just have the feeling that after wedding, all these "kiddies play" (according to them, kissing in public, holding your partner's hand while walking, etc are all kiddies play)have to stop, so they start seeing their wives as just anybody and they dont even care to compliment them, to the wives of such, the women may just think that the men no longer love them, which most of the time, not really true.
And the last set are those who married for the wrong and selfish reasons, who are the ones that intentionally fall out of love, examples of their excuses include, shes has become bigger after childbirth, she want to be controlling me, shes no longer as beautiful as when we were dating, shes concentrating more on the kids, e.t.c........such men are the one who have really fall out of love, and its just an excuse for them to become infidels, and for their wives, its the vow and the fact that they have kids for each other that definately stuck them, if the matter do not eventually lead to divorce.
Hope i make sense sha.
May God help us all.

Thank you ma...u're definitely eligible to answer my question.
So, option number 1 is possible...as in, you still think about each other and swear all over again that you would gladly spend the rest of your life with him. If yes, how can somebody work towards that?

To be sincere, madam, the thought of marriage scares the hell outta me. I just imagine: What if I wake up one day and I just don't fancy him again or vice versa? What happens then? I really don't want to be stuck.
Re: 12 Things You Were Not Told Before You Got Married by greatgod2012(f): 12:43pm On Apr 27, 2013
alutacontinua:

Thank you ma...u're definitely eligible to answer my question.
So, option number 1 is possible...as in, you still think about each other and swear all over again that you would gladly spend the rest of your life with him. If yes, how can somebody work towards that?

1. Always have it in mind that hes a human being, and no perfect human being, unless you want to marry an angel.
2. Concentrate more on his good areas, nobody is totally good and nobody is totally bad, with this, you will find it easy to forgive him when disagreement occurs.
3. Let there be more meaningful communication, never bottle up your grieviances against him, talk it over with him, and after it is resolved, never make reference to it again.
4. If you are a very strict person, sometimes, you will have to compromise, yes, compromise, we are all human being, we cant have our ways all the time.
5. Pray more and pray together.
Never compare your marriage with another marriage.
6. Tolerate him more, if hes not abusive, not a cheat and hes responsible at home, others can be managed and conquered.
Hope i make sense.
May God help you and all of us.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Things You Were Not Told Before You Got Married by Nobody: 1:04pm On Apr 27, 2013
greatgod2012:

1. Always have it in mind that hes a human being, and no perfect human being, unless you want to marry an angel.
2. Concentrate more on his good areas, nobody is totally good and nobody is totally bad, with this, you will find it easy to forgive him when disagreement occurs.
3. Let there be more meaningful communication, never bottle up your grieviances against him, talk it over with him, and after it is resolved, never make reference to it again.
4. If you are a very strict person, sometimes, you will have to compromise, yes, compromise, we are all human being, we cant have our ways all the time.
5. Pray more and pray together.
Never compare your marriage with another marriage.
6. Tolerate him more, if hes not abusive, not a cheat and hes responsible at home, others can be managed and conquered.
Hope i make sense.
May God help you and all of us.

Thanks ma-am!
May God help you!
Re: 12 Things You Were Not Told Before You Got Married by greatgod2012(f): 1:14pm On Apr 27, 2013
alutacontinua:

Thanks ma-am!
May God help you!

you are welcome ma.
Thats why marriage aint meant for immatured minds.
Amen to your prayers and i wish you the same.
Re: 12 Things You Were Not Told Before You Got Married by Nobody: 1:31pm On Apr 27, 2013
I beg to differ with number 6, in most cases yes they fall out of love, but it takes two parties to make a marriage work. I'll give an example of one of my old friends , he is 70 years old and the way he talks about his wife , you'll see the spark is still there, they've been married for over 45 years, they do have their little spats but from what I see that's what keeps them going.
Re: 12 Things You Were Not Told Before You Got Married by Nobody: 4:02pm On Apr 27, 2013
i have a bad insulting mouth, i make pple cry wen i yab dem, am gentle lookin but when d tin happen, i turn into monster and can beat some1, dats y i pity myfuture wife, ii watch my parents dat love don vanish, dont wish to get married jst born 2 kids, marraige sucks jare
Re: 12 Things You Were Not Told Before You Got Married by 2legit2qwt: 4:12pm On Apr 27, 2013
greatgod2012:

Hope i make sense sha.
May God help us all.

True words!! Thanks for sharing this with us, marriage scares me too and this is insightful
Re: 12 Things You Were Not Told Before You Got Married by babylast(f): 4:30pm On Apr 27, 2013
alutacontinua:
unfortunately my marriage is not upto 5 yrs, but i have learnt that in a relationship, if u concentrate more on the positive side and overlook those silly mistakes which makes us who we are, life will be a better place. and remember life is full if phases, so never let the present phase deprivr you of the happiness the next phase brings.
Re: 12 Things You Were Not Told Before You Got Married by akposbobo: 12:23am On Apr 28, 2013
OP u make sense. Thumbs up
Re: 12 Things You Were Not Told Before You Got Married by Nobody: 12:55pm On Apr 28, 2013
Learning a lot here,the thought of marriage scares me too.
Re: 12 Things You Were Not Told Before You Got Married by Nobody: 3:25pm On Apr 28, 2013
Nice one op ,mariage here I come !! cheesy

I was having some questions in my head because my wedding is some months away. it's good to hear from people who have been in the game for a long time.
Re: 12 Things You Were Not Told Before You Got Married by Nobody: 7:14pm On Apr 28, 2013
Love becomes practical,I like this point.

(1) (Reply)

Beautiful Girl With Mini Skirt Gets What She Didn't Expect In A Bus / Your Advices Are Highly Valued / How Evil Can One Be...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.