Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,764 members, 7,831,452 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. (1847 Views)

We Will Beg Obasanjo, Says Lamido / Fayose Attacks Obasanjo, Says Ex-president Is Nigeria’s Main Enemy / Fire In My Home A ‘Minor’ Incident, Obasanjo Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by keypoints: 4:56pm On Apr 13, 2008
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has vowed not to respond to the avalanche of accusations being levelled against his administration, saying that he could not help but pity Nigeria.

Some of his close associates had visited him at his Ota residence last Monday and requested to know his position on all the alleged misdeeds his government has been accused of. But in response to the request, he was said to have tried to reassure the associates, telling them that they have nothing to worry about.

According to a source close to the meeting, Obasanjo pointed out that all former leaders of the country have been similarly disparaged and that the situation was therefore not peculiar to him.
He was said to have regretted the fate of former leaders who have been vilified as soon as they left
office but noted that he was pained that in spite of the personal sacrifices he made for the country,
starting with his exploits in the civil war, saying that he was being repaid unkindly.

According to our sources, Chief Obasanjo noted that he had always known that such was the attitude of Nigerians, adding that all the actions he took while in office were well-intended for peace and progress of the country.

The former President was however quoted as saying that nobody should pity him because he was not bothered about all the accusations and insults he was receiving from the Nigerian public, saying, “I sleep in my house with my two eyes closed".

Source:http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6616&Itemid=0
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:53pm On Apr 13, 2008
Please he should take responsibilty for his actions and pity himself. What does he mean by "vowed not to respond"?
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by doyin13(m): 6:31pm On Apr 13, 2008
There is nothing that irks me more than politicians who feel they are doing the nation a favour by serving in any capacity.

No be by force to serve ooo.

Shior
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by almondjoy(f): 7:00pm On Apr 13, 2008
For once I can agree with OBJ on one thing and it is a miracle.  I also pity Nigeria! cheesy

May he continue to "sleep with his 2 eyes, ears and nostrils" closed till they cease to open.

Imagine the effrontery of this Ape to open his mouth and talk rubbish in public?
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:11pm On Apr 13, 2008
for some reason he thinks he is the best thing to happen to nigeria. asswipe!
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by oruwe: 8:41pm On Apr 13, 2008
Yes Baba Iyabo correct o.But na only his house for Otta he go fit sleep close his two eyes.Yeye SEGE.No dey shame.Still get mouth to talk.Abi he no dey read newspapers self?God go punish am for saying that.
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by Uche2nna(m): 8:54pm On Apr 13, 2008
Given the track record of probing ex-presidents (or Head of states) in Nigeria, why wouldnt he sleep with his two eyes closed. Chances are that after all the noise-making, he would still be left off the hook and allowed to enjoy his ill gotten wealth. Until one president in Nigeria is stripped off his "ill gotten possessions and sent to Jail for corruption, Obj and his ilk would continue to sleep with all thier sense organs closed.

Why wont he pity Nigeria? He knows the state he left Nigeria in.

And he thinks he did us a favor by being president. angry He should have left after the first tenure but he allegedly made some "promises" to Atiku to ensure that he retains power.
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by Backslider(m): 9:13pm On Apr 13, 2008
If you read the post you will see that Obj never said anything.

The newspaper is showing off the open fraud that is always sweet to hear.

keypoints:

According to our sources, Chief Obasanjo noted that he had always known that such was the attitude of Nigerians, adding that all the actions he took while in office were well-intended for peace and progress of the country.

Obj was the man that gave the elite a run for their money.

Obj you have done your best leave the rest.

i await any evidence of money that was stolrn by OBJ
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by deor03(m): 9:21pm On Apr 13, 2008
I pity OBJ. God has given him two oppurtunities but he has wasted both.

History will never forget him as the man who 'could' have turned Nigeria around but messed up
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by bluehorizo(m): 9:36pm On Apr 13, 2008
What do you expect to hear from a sadist?
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by bawomolo(m): 10:17pm On Apr 13, 2008
Obj was the man that gave the elite a run for their money.

Obj you have done your best leave the rest.

i await any evidence of money that was stolrn by OBJ

OBJ is part of the elite, in what ways is he challenging them??. u speak as if he is thomas sankara or patrice lumumba.
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by tpia: 10:39pm On Apr 13, 2008
@ topic- interesting!
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by MrPataki1: 11:27pm On Apr 13, 2008
He says no one should pity him, yet he has pity on Nigeria?

How moronic is that statement of his. Who is pitying him? Can't he look around see whether his praise singers are with him any longer? Where are the Danjumas', Jerry Ganas' and the rest giving him backing him in his first term of presidency today? He has back stabbed them all!

He recently marked his official birthday, which Nigerian newspaper took recognition of it in their dailies? A sinking general still looking for relevance and importance. May he spend his last days in jail. angry Thats where he officially belongs.
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by lucabrasi(m): 11:30pm On Apr 13, 2008
its a positive response coming from him as it shows the whole things happening is havind some sort of psychological effect on him which is good, it ll be a great service to nigerians he has failed if he goes into a melt down and then recovers then he ll know thats the last warning from GOD
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by NigEclipse(m): 7:51am On Apr 14, 2008
Our nation is doomed. As former figure-head of the country, OBJ drained us to a complete zero and still draining us mentally. I really hope I live to see him and all of the other thieves to pay for every bit of hardship our country's going through. I personally deviate from thoughts of a so called God making these thieves pay for what they've done, but everyone knows what they've done, and OBJ with all of the other conniving leaders will have their turn for sorrow and suffrage.
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by Ikomi(m): 11:48am On Apr 14, 2008
I understand why OBJ pities Nigeria.

Some elders are busy roaming about, campaigning that instead of corrupt officials exposed and prosecuted, they should rather be sectrely told not to steal again and given a pat in the back.

Probe with caution, Tahir warns lawmakers
By PAUL ORUDE, Bauchi
Monday, April 14, 2008

Second Republic minister of Internal Affairs, Dr. Ibrahim Tahir has called on the House of Representatives panel probing the $16 billion spent on power sector by the Olusegun Obasanjo government to be cautious, saying the revelations coming from the exercise are capable of causing more harm than good in the long run.

Tahir, in an interview with Daily Sun, says: “The enquiry that is going on at the National Assembly and things it could open up is like running a three-legged race in a track that is strewn with eggs. Maybe you shouldn’t run the race at all and probably leave situations and give the state its peace.”

He argued that even though the House, through the Committee on Power, means well, “if there is a lot of argument now, a lot of confusion and mystery about where the billions of dollars went, I am not one of those who will be surprised. As to the timing of that enquiry, I would have thought that what has been done cannot be undone.”
The Talban Bauchi said further: “It is my hope that the matter will be handled with the greatest delicacy by the National Assembly. I am one of those who do not believe in corruption.

“If Nigeria is really serious about fighting corruption, we should copy China and the Soviet Union of those days in terms of the punishment they meted out to economic saboteurs. I feel sad, but there’s a way to deal with corruption. Everyone handling the fight against corruption should do it with restitution in mind rather than humiliation and public disgrace. It should be done quietly, privately and in the most discrete manner. Handle those who represented your country’s image with care and make sure you recover what has been made away with. You do not, in the process of cleaning up, become the swimmer in glue.

“It should be done in camera. Make it a committee matter and try and clear the gallery and do this thing in private and issue statements on what you’ve found in such a manner that it does not shake the tree, not to talk of digging out its roots. If you are sure something has been taken and if you have proof, make sure it is returned. The consideration should be the safety of the nation.
“I have this fear about Obasanjo era and so many big actors in it that you might end up not being able to achieve much other than stirring up one almighty commotion. Handle with ease, handle with great caution. It makes very big showmanship. It makes a great deal of heroes out of persons who normally should not have been heard of because they are minding their own private lives carefully and not pushing themselves into any difficulty.

“But at the level it is going on now, I hope the legislature has given the security services a great deal of time to prepare to defend our internal peace and internal order. Some processes are good for democracy, but the country has been made somewhat ramshackle in the last eight years.”
Tahir spoke further on other national issues.
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by bawomolo(m): 3:19pm On Apr 14, 2008
“If Nigeria is really serious about fighting corruption, we should copy China and the Soviet Union of those days in terms of the punishment they meted out to economic saboteurs. I feel sad, but there’s a way to deal with corruption. Everyone handling the fight against corruption should do it with restitution in mind rather than humiliation and public disgrace. It should be done quietly, privately and in the most discrete manner. Handle those who represented your country’s image with care and make sure you recover what has been made away with. You do not, in the process of cleaning up, become the swimmer in glue.

someone tell this idiot that corrupt people are executed in china. corrupt people were put into a gulag in the soviet union.
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by otokx(m): 3:44pm On Apr 14, 2008
Somebody should put Somebody inside the Pit Latrine and leave him there.
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by ono(m): 8:58pm On Apr 14, 2008
I read that Tahir story too in the Sun mag. And after ruminating over what could make the Taliban of Bauchi utter such words, I came to the conclusion that Nigeria indeed needs to be pitied! What else can one say, when people who are supposed to lead the country are the ones setting the stage for corruption to feed fat.
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by Uche2nna(m): 9:03pm On Apr 14, 2008
Yeah, I read that article and I just cant understand what the man is getting at. What does he mean by "probe with caution" undecided

I had to read the article twice to make sure I aint missing anything. Can someone plis explain to me what that guy meant? undecided
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by lucabrasi(m): 9:06pm On Apr 14, 2008
when leaders like the man start saying these words then in my opinion the average nigerian should start having hope as it shows the probes are causing some discomfort and sleepless nights,in the public sitting on fct,senator smart adeyemi in his outburst said that some prominent nigerians approached him and offered him money to compromise and the chairman sodangi quickly told him not to mention names and was almost using his hand to cover smart adeyemi's mouth so i think theres a great rumble in their jungle
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by Uche2nna(m): 9:42pm On Apr 14, 2008
I hope the rumble would actually lead to some changes in the jungle.

A lot of time we have witnessed rumbling that led nowhere. Once a few hands arer appeased (or even blackmailed) the whole rumblings would become yesterday's thrash. Thats why the statement of that buffon bothered me angry

I am patiently waiting for the day a Nigerian kini ko kini ko would be sent to jail on basis of corruption.
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by Nobody: 4:24pm On Apr 16, 2008
i pity Nigeria too. for giving him that first term in office. we need China's system of punishing embezzlers cos the amounts stolen in nigeria truly deserve death of the thieves. that someone would be heartless enough to steal from a nation with so much lack staring you in the face, shows he/she needs to be shot. or spend the same time in jail as a murderer.

but of course, no one would ever get convicted.

i pity nigeria too.
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by 1luvkipsus: 6:15pm On Apr 16, 2008
all the actions he took while in office were well-intended for peace and progress of the country.

I know this Sir, only that some disgruntled and ignorant Nigerians who you never allowed to drain us dry are using the press to discredit your administration. But we know the truth. I'm so happy that you are not bothered.
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by 4Him1(m): 7:37pm On Apr 16, 2008
I pity Nigeria, a land where the likes of Tahir above are refered to as "elderstatesmen".
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by almondjoy(f): 9:15pm On Apr 16, 2008
he he he he

cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by 4Play(m): 10:30pm On Apr 16, 2008
Maybe he pities us the way an armed robber pities his victim.
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by Nobody: 2:28am On Apr 17, 2008
You guys will not kill person grin grin grin grin
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by Danmasani(m): 3:28am On Apr 17, 2008
If this guy can pity naija, Then Spitzer suppose pity NY too. Afterall, Obasanjo no only "look look" him pikin wife shocked shocked shocked but him also extend Ota farms to Abuja, dash dash all the land and money to himself and fellow monkey-looking family.

Make him pity Iyabo! See as she carry scale fence----Queen of hominids like her!
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by nwekefrad: 6:06pm On Aug 14, 2010
obj u a monkey n a serious ape, i tink he shuld pit his ota farm, nd nt nigerian, grin
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by mediators: 1:35am On Aug 15, 2010
Nigeria is a very complex nation. To Obj - You had your frailties while in office; however, you did your best.

Lets face some naked facts - In our respective homes, don't we have some grumbling children (whether expressly or impliedly) kicking against the instructions and indeed, the authority of the head of the family?

Lets change our attitude; CAN WE LEARN TO APPRECIATE OURSELVES, AT LEAST FOR ONCE WITHOUT NECESSARILY CRITICIZING 'BLINDLY'?

We shall get there, by God's grace.
Re: Obasanjo Says He Pity Nigeria. by ikeyman00(m): 2:19am On Aug 15, 2010
^^^^

the plain truth is obj is an idoit

(1) (Reply)

True Fact About The Ailing President Umaru Yar’adua / Lets Develop Our Community This Valentine / Igweship Madness In Great Ala-igbo one Town, Two Kings:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.