Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost (1626 Views)

Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest / 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday / NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by Nobody: 4:29pm On Apr 27, 2013
** Some hope the railway, which links the bitterly divided north and south, will act as a new economic engine, and symbol of unity.

April 24, 2013 22:13

LAGOS-KANO RAILWAY, Nigeria — Despite the 90-degree tropical heat and the ample cabin space inside as the train departs, young men cling to the train’s open doorways as it exits the southern city of Lagos, rumbling through ramshackle suburban villages.

They are riding the newly revived Lagos-Kano railway, a 700-mile track opened at the end of last year that aims to breathe new life into a national economy long stymied by corruption and violent insurgency.

Some also hope the railway, which links the bitterly divided north and south by connecting the country’s two regional hubs, will act as a new symbol of unity.

“It will bring togetherness to the people of Nigeria, both from the north and from the south,” says 35-year-old passenger Ernst Asemota.

Perhaps even more importantly —for many Nigerians — the new train line could provide some immediate relief to a deeply troubled economy.

While most of Nigeria’s national budget is from oil revenue, the country is still forced to import the majority of its fuel. The cost of transporting that fuel from Nigeria’s ports is a major drain onthe economy.

Local business leaders say other local industries — like cement, textiles and food production — are also stagnated by the lack of affordable, safe transportation.

Ill-kept roads connecting the two regions have long prevented goods from arriving on time, or atall. Supplies arriving in Nigeria’s southern ports often never make it to the north. And the food grown in the north often ends up rotting in the fields because the cost of the fuel to drive it to markets is often more than their value.

As the official line goes, however, the new train connecting Lagos and Kano is the solution to many of these problems.

Terence P. McCulley, the US ambassador to Nigeria, said the strategy has worked in other parts of the world, where cross-country railways have connected regional economies, making the national economies stronger as a whole.

“Those kind of links, as we’ve seen in our own country with the continental railroad in the 19th century, really succeeded in knitting the economies of our continent/nation together,” he said. “So I think it’s a great thing.”

Nigerian officials say the most exciting economic consequence of the railway is its potential to help some of the revenue from Nigeria’s vast resources impact regular people. The train is already carrying goods like cement, steel and vehicles that help local businesses. The trains also carry cash crops from the north, like wheat, which officials hope can alleviate some of the crushing poverty in the north.

The Lagos-Kano railway is also expected to carry more than a quarter of a million people a year, allowing them to save money on transportation for personal reasons and move more easily for work.

“It’s very safe, convenient. It carries more goods and passengers than any other mode, at least within Nigeria,” David Ndanusa Ndakotsu, a spokesman for the Nigerian Railway Corporation, told GlobalPost.

The only hiccup — and it’s a big one — might be the country’s rampant insecurity.

The two cities the train connects could not be more different. Lagos, the former capital, is in the heart of Nigeria’s mostly Christian south. Kano is deep in the mostly Muslim north. The two regions have long competed for political power and sectarian violence has killed about 14,000 people since 1999. The rise of the Boko Haram militant group has only made things worse.

During the train journey, the dangers loom. As the train chugged toward Kano on a recentApril night, some of the train’s security guards, plain-clothed policemen carrying AK-47s, stepped off the train in Kaduna, about 125 miles from Kano, or six hours by train. The chief station master, who had also been aboard since Lagos, also hopped off, suggesting to foreigners that for the rest of the journey they “remain in hibernation,” meaning avoid wandering the platforms or cabins.

Fourteen foreign nationals have been kidnapped in northern Nigeria this year alone. Travelers from Great Britain, Italy and Greece have all been killed. A French family of seven kidnapped by militants was released last week.
Boko Haram, which has been waging an insurgency against thegovernment since 2009, says it fights for a harsh interpretation of Islamic law and the release of its own imprisoned members. A splinter group, known as Ansaru , has taken a more global stance, demanding foreign armies vacate Mali.

(CONTINUED BELOW)
Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by kkkp: 4:36pm On Apr 27, 2013
Source?
Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by Nobody: 4:40pm On Apr 27, 2013
“Ultimately the idea of the modernization stage is to extend the railways to all state capitals,” Ndakotsu said. “Then, all the major sea ports and airports will be connected by rail.”

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/africa/nigeria/130424/nigeria-economy-security-boko-haram-railway-lagos-kano-train

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by koruji(m): 4:51pm On Apr 27, 2013
Kudos to GEJ for completing this rehabilitation of the railways that was started under OBJ.

However, it is quite amusing to me that anyone would be jumping up and down about this, once they notice that it says a 125km trip from Kaduna to Kano takes 6hrs by train:"As the train chugged toward Kano on a recentApril night, some of the train’s security guards, plain-clothed policemen carrying AK-47s, stepped off the train in Kaduna, about 125 miles from Kano, or six hours by train."

[size=14pt]In other words we are rejoicing over a transport system that moves at about twice the speed of horseback traveling in use in ancient times.[/size]

At first I did not believe it when someone mentioned that the train trip to Kano from Lagos takes 35 hours!!!

As they say, time is money and Nigeria obviously enjoys frittering away time!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by Nobody: 5:23pm On Apr 27, 2013
koruji: Kudos to GEJ for completing this rehabilitation of the railways that was started under OBJ.

However, it is quite amusing to me that anyone would be jumping up and down about this, once they notice that it says a 125km trip from Kaduna to Kano takes 6hrs by train:"As the train chugged toward Kano on a recentApril night, some of the train’s security guards, plain-clothed policemen carrying AK-47s, stepped off the train in Kaduna, about 125 miles from Kano, or six hours by train."

[size=14pt]In other words we are rejoicing over a transport system that moves at about twice the speed of horseback traveling in use in ancient times.[/size]

At first I did not believe it when someone mentioned that the train trip to Kano from Lagos takes 35 hours!!!

The FACT is that before there was only two options for those who wanted to travel to Kano from Lagos- road and air. But now there are three options- road, air and rail.

If you read the report you would have seen a passenger on the train who swore never to travel by road at night due to cases of armed robbery.

Travelling by train along the recently rehabilitated line has its advantages and disadvantages. It is cheaper and safer. You cannot discountenance safety or affordability. The draw back for now is that people get to spend twice the time they would have spent on the road.

Well, the choice is for people to make. But guess what- multitudes have decided its better for them to travel by train as attested by congestion of the trains. So if the people have said YES to the train, who are you to say no its not good for them. Who are you?

By the way, govt is currently building another modern rail line that will link Lagos-Ibadan-Kano. Even when that is ready, some people will still choose to travel by the old rail line because of affordability

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by Nobody: 5:36pm On Apr 27, 2013
koruji: Kudos to GEJ for completing this rehabilitation of the railways that was started under OBJ.

"Kudos to GEJ for completing this rehabilitation of the railways that was started under OBJ"

When you say some of these LIES, you inadvertently damage the reputation of OBJ. You make it look as if OBJ governed for only 8days, not 8years. Was 8yrs not sufficient for OBJ to complete rehabilitation of already existing rail lines? Did OBJ start rehabilitation of the rails on his last day as president? I dont understand how some of you believe the LIES you tell.

POINT OF CORRECTION: the rehabilitation of the railways began in 2009 under the Yar Adua govt. GEJ became president in 2010 and continued all the projects. SURE-P gave all the railway projects boost in 2012. Even if you'r IGNORANT, Google is there to help.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by ujchief(m): 5:42pm On Apr 27, 2013
Bla bla bla. . .

When will your oga come clean with the fight against corruption? Most recently, revelations of corrupt practices by Denziani has been brought to light, when will your oga take a bold step and fight corruption?

Nanscenze!!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by Nobody: 5:52pm On Apr 27, 2013
ujchief: Bla bla bla. . .

When will your oga come clean with the fight against corruption? Most recently, revelations of corrupt practices by Denziani has been brought to light, when will your oga take a bold step and fight corruption?

Nanscenze!!!
Bad belle dey cause diarrhea and hypertension. Hypertension can cause kidney failure, stroke, heart attack, blindness and sudden death. The choice is yours.

Meanwhile, a thread was created for the issue you raised and I recall the thread made front page. Why not go to thread and convulse?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by Sibrah: 6:06pm On Apr 27, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
"Kudos to GEJ for completing this rehabilitation of the railways that was started under OBJ"

When you say some of these LIES, you inadvertently damage the reputation of OBJ. You make it look as if OBJ governed for only 8days, not 8years. Was 8yrs not sufficient for OBJ to complete rehabilitation of already existing rail lines? Did OBJ start rehabilitation of the rails on his last day as president? I dont understand how some of you believe the LIES you tell.

POINT OF CORRECTION: the rehabilitation of the railways began in 2009 under the Yar Adua govt. GEJ became president in 2010 and continued all the projects. SURE-P gave all the railway projects boost in 2012. Even if you'r IGNORANT, Google is there to help.
It is a matter of how much work was done under the OBJ led govt. You make it sound like OBJ only mentioned the idea while Gej led govt did all the work. Anyway, i don't expect any sane person to celebrate a third transportation option that's slower than road. In my opinion i think it should be used to move cargoes or oil accross the country and not human being. The newer generation of fast trains will be more approriate for humans and will easily be an improvement over air and road transportation options.
Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by Nobody: 6:16pm On Apr 27, 2013
GEJ is looting, haters are angry!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by koruji(m): 6:33pm On Apr 27, 2013
I try to be accurate when making historical comments about Nigeria. If you think I am wrong, you ought to do a little bit of research. Sometimes I will be wrong because these are generally writing from memory, but my memory about this kind of stuff is good. The fact is that OBJ met a lot of ongoing fire in Nigeria in those days and moved to address quite a few. You ought to know that I am not a big fan of Baba in his mode of administration and pandering to the north, but no one can deny that the man will lay down his life for his vision of Nigeria - although that vision is far-off from reality.

Now to the issue of what happened with the railways and in fact most projects that GEJ is commissioning these days. Most of them were started under OBJ - he completed many and handed over a veritable set of good ongoing projects to Yar'adua/GEJ. A classic behavior of the latter duo (probably just Yar'adua) once they took the reigns was to put a stop to almost all laudable projects of OBJ, not just railways, but also power and refineries, among many others. If you did not know, OBJ completed the sale of Nigerian refineries to Dangote and I think Otedola - these guys actually paid $800 million dollars into Nigeria's coffers and promised to add a new refinery to the existing capacity as part of the deal, I think. Mr. Yar'adua in his "wisdom" not only reviewed the sale but cancelled and returned the funds to these investors. Imagine that!

Evidence that OBJ started the railways rehabilitation project with the Chinese, how Yar'adua suspended it and then restarted it are provided to you below. When you read the bolded part you will notice that Yar'adua would have loved to cancel the entire thing - just like with the refineries - but OBJ had made it difficult to abandon. The evil that Yar'adua perpetrated after promising good governance and rule of law could be easily seen by his actions on power. When he suspended action on power projects, power plants were left at the ports to rot away - yet he had promised to declare an emergency on power in his first 100 days, those 100 days "never came" until he joined the ancestors.

The fact is that OBJ signed the contract the railways project and Yar'adua being a slowpoke slowed it down and then reversed himself. So yes, OBJ started it, Yar'adua continued it and GEJ finished it. GEJ must receive kudos for reversing his former boss' wicked attitude and seeing these projects to conclusion, but OBJ must receive praise for making it possible in the first place. Thank you.

http://www.afrol.com/articles/32206
Nigeria lifts suspension of railway repair contract
afrol News, 20 January 2009 - Nigerian Federal Government has lifted a suspension of US $8.5 billion contract for the rehabilitation of Nigerian Railways. In October, the government suspended the rail project awarded to Chinese Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) by former president Olusegun Obasanjo in 2006 to allow government to make a comprehensive review of the project.

[size=14pt]Minister of Transport, Alhaji Ibrahim Isa Bio, said the government had now decided that the project cannot be abandoned, saying it should be reactivated.[/size]

According to a statement signed by the Assistant Director of Press in the Ministry of Transport, Mr Kingsley Agha, the government's policy reversal came after five hours of meeting with the Chinese firm, CCECC, and the consultants handling the project.

Although the project has been widely critcised for its sluggish pace in rebuilding and rehabilitating Nigeria's single track rail line and also with officials accused of inflating prices, the team of experts and the ministry officials said the project was viable and of tremendous economic benefit to the country.

The government officials have said under the review, short routes such as Lagos, Ibadan, Kaduna and Kano with heavy human and cargo traffic would be adopted and completed in view of lack of funding, further indicating that rehabilitation would relief nation's busiest routes which are more effective for viable economy.

[size=14pt]The government has also conceded that under the review, the Chinese government was found to have shown goodwill by providing an initial soft loan of over $2 billion at the commencement of the contract, a gesture that Mr Bio said makes the contract not only diplomatic, but political in nature.

"Furthermore, the immediate past president Olusegun Obasanjo during a state visit to China signed a memorandum of understanding and endorsed the project making it very difficult to abandon without legal implications," he told local newspaper.
[/size]

The team of experts agreed that while the narrow gauge rail tacks would not be abandoned, any new tracks would need to be faster and of conventional standard gauge rail tracks.

The minister assured the contractors that the Federal Government would demonstrate the political will, and provide the enabling environment and required counterpart funding.

Nigeria has a network of 3,505 kilometres of narrow-gauge single track lines, covering nine of the country's 36 states. Most of its 200 locomotives however, broke down long time ago, according to local reports.

By staff writer

Sincere 9gerian:

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by Nobody: 6:47pm On Apr 27, 2013
koruji: I try to be accurate when making historical comments about Nigeria. If you think I am wrong, you ought to do a little bit of research. Sometimes I will be wrong because these are generally writing from memory, but my memory about this kind of stuff is good. The fact is that OBJ met a lot of ongoing fire in Nigeria in those days and moved to address quite a few. You ought to know that I am not a big fan of Baba in his mode of administration and pandering to the north, but no one can deny that the man will lay down his life for his vision of Nigeria - although that vision is far-off from reality.

Now to the issue of what happened with the railways and in fact most projects that GEJ is commissioning these days. Most of them were started under OBJ - he completed many and handed over a veritable set of good ongoing projects to Yar'adua/GEJ. A classic behavior of the latter duo (probably just Yar'adua) once they took the reigns was to put a stop to almost all laudable projects of OBJ, not just railways, but also power and refineries, among many others. If you did not know, OBJ completed the sale of Nigerian refineries to Dangote and I think Otedola - these guys actually paid $800 million dollars into Nigeria's coffers and promised to add a new refinery to the existing capacity as part of the deal, I think. Mr. Yar'adua in his "wisdom" not only reviewed the sale but cancelled and returned the funds to these investors. Imagine that!

Evidence that OBJ started the railways rehabilitation project with the Chinese, how Yar'adua suspended it and then restarted it are provided to you below. When you read the bolded part you will notice that Yar'adua would have loved to cancel the entire thing - just like with the refineries - but OBJ had made it difficult to abandon. The evil that Yar'adua perpetrated after promising good governance and rule of law could be easily seen by his actions on power. When he suspended action on power projects, power plants were left at the ports to rot away - yet he had promised to declare an emergency on power in his first 100 days, those 100 days "never came" until he joined the ancestors.

The fact is that OBJ signed the contract the railways project and Yar'adua being a slowpoke slowed it down and then reversed himself. So yes, OBJ started it, Yar'adua continued it and GEJ finished it. GEJ must receive kudos for reversing his former boss' wicked attitude and seeing these projects to conclusion, but OBJ must receive praise for making it possible in the first place. Thank you.

Let them continue their empty chest beating. What's true here is also applicable to power sector. OBJ laid the ground work, Yar'Adull stopped the projects while Jonathan is looting with reckless abandon.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by ujchief(m): 7:09pm On Apr 27, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

Meanwhile, a thread was created for the issue you raised and I recall the thread made front page. Why not go to thread and convulse?

Like a goat, you keep regurgitating on the Lagos-Kano train like its the only item in the millennium development goals. For the umpteenth time, you keep creating threads to inform us of who and who farted on the train.

Keep deluding yourself!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by Nobody: 7:22pm On Apr 27, 2013
can't stop laughing at the post above me! ifeanyi has not even patronized the train services before and he is here bombarding our brains with stories of journey on a train ride. Sickcere 9gerian.....smh! grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by Afam4evaIsASlut: 7:32pm On Apr 27, 2013
Damn, Uppercuts, Left hooks, Suplex, bottle on his head..... look at the beating Insincere9igerian just received in less than 20 seconds.

lmao

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by Nobody: 9:12pm On Apr 27, 2013
koruji: I try to be accurate when making historical comments about Nigeria. If you think I am wrong, you ought to do a little bit of research. Sometimes I will be wrong because these are generally writing from memory, but my memory about this kind of stuff is good. The fact is that OBJ met a lot of ongoing fire in Nigeria in those days and moved to address quite a few. You ought to know that I am not a big fan of Baba in his mode of administration and pandering to the north, but no one can deny that the man will lay down his life for his vision of Nigeria - although that vision is far-off from reality.

"Nigerian Federal Government has lifted a suspension of US $8.5 billion contract for the rehabilitation of Nigerian Railways"

Nonsense! I wasn't refering to PAPER award of contract. When did WORK start? How much was released under OBJ govt for the WORK on railway rehabilitation? What percentage of WORK was done before he left office in 2007. What was the RESULT?

By the way, OBJ was elected in 1999 how come he only woke up from a very DEEP SLUMBER to award contract for railway projects in 2006? What was he doing between 1999 and 2006?

In case you dont know, OBJ also awarded contract for construction of Second Niger Bridge among other contracts. Where is the Second Niger Bridge?

Also, if we even research further, every other past head of state must have awarded one railway contract or the other but the 'koko' is how much WORK was done and what was DELIVERED. Shagari, Buhari, IBB and Abacha also awarded railway contracts. But what was ACHIEVED? What was the RESULT?

Whether Yar Adua cancelled any contract is immaterial because OBJ had 8 SOLID years to do whatever he wanted to do. But the FACT is that the contract that finally brought RESULTS was awarded by Yar Adua in 2009
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/127684-the-return-of-the-lagos-kano-passenger-train.html?wpmp_tp=1
http://www.thesourceng.com/MoribundDecember312012.htm

I dont know when actual WORK started after Yar Adua awarded the contract in 2009 but those same contractors to which he awarded the Kano-Lagos rail line completed the work under the current govt.

Meanwhile, Lagos-kano rail line was not completed wit $8billion according to your report. Only N24billion was expended. Maybe the $8billion in your report also included construction of Lagos-Ibadan-Kano standard modern rail line. But that was also re-awarded late last year by the incumbent.

In conclusion, it is SENSELESS for OBJ to wake up from a VERY DEEP SLUMBER to award numerous contracts in 2006. After the award of contract on PAPER, who will PAY the money?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by manny4life(m): 9:32pm On Apr 27, 2013
Isn't it amazing how good stuff is attributed to OBJ, when it comes to the bad, they will remember GEJ. As far as I'm concerned, if OBJ could not resuscitate Nigerian rail for 8 years other than paper contracts, then GEJ takes the full credit. People can no longer be deceived, the opposition has to do a better job in discrediting GEJ in other areas people are not conversant not this.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by koruji(m): 9:59pm On Apr 27, 2013
It is really hard to engage you people in any kind of reasonable conversation.
Seeing that you are paid - conflict of interest participants in the Nigerian project.
You people ride around here like intellectuals.
But your reasonings are pure instinct - like prize-fighting dogs.

Convince yourself of what you will - the facts are the facts.
The Chinese already started work on the railways rehabilitation projects, not just Lagos-Kano, before OBJ's tenure ended.
Even the article I posted showed that they were providing a $2 billion soft loan for the project.
Don't you find it contradictory that you find it so easy to separate OBJ's contribution to these projects and separate GEJ's role in the disaster presidency of the Yar'adua/GEJ duo.

Kudos for completing this part of the project aside, GEJ ought to be ashamed going around talking about rehabilitating railways that travel only about twice as a horse. Is that the transformation he promised?
You can't promise transformation, and then once you are in the chair point to repairs you are making to an unworkable system. That is not transformation - that is called "repairs".

I am out.

Sincere 9gerian:
"Nigerian Federal Government has lifted a suspension of US $8.5 billion contract for the rehabilitation of Nigerian Railways"

Nonsense! I wasn't refering to PAPER award of contract. When did WORK start? How much was released under OBJ govt for the WORK on railway rehabilitation? What percentage of WORK was done before he left office in 2007. What was the RESULT?

By the way, OBJ was elected in 1999 how come he only woke up from a very DEEP SLUMBER to award contract for railway projects in 2006? What was he doing between 1999 and 2006?

In case you dont know, OBJ also awarded contract for construction of Second Niger Bridge among other contracts. Where is the Second Niger Bridge?

Also, if we even research further, every other past head of state must have awarded one railway contract or the other but the 'koko' is how much WORK was done and what was DELIVERED. Shagari, Buhari, IBB and Abacha also awarded railway contracts. But what was ACHIEVED? What was the RESULT?

Whether Yar Adua cancelled any contract is immaterial because OBJ had 8 SOLID years to do whatever he wanted to do. But the FACT is that the contract that finally brought RESULTS was awarded by Yar Adua in 2009
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/127684-the-return-of-the-lagos-kano-passenger-train.html?wpmp_tp=1
http://www.thesourceng.com/MoribundDecember312012.htm

I dont know when actual WORK started after Yar Adua awarded the contract in 2009 but those same contractors to which he awarded the Kano-Lagos rail line completed the work under the current govt.

Meanwhile, Lagos-kano rail line was not completed wit $8billion according to your report. Only N24billion was expended. Maybe the $8billion in your report also included construction of Lagos-Ibadan-Kano standard modern rail line. But that was also re-awarded late last year by the incumbent.

In conclusion, it is SENSELESS for OBJ to wake up from a VERY DEEP SLUMBER to award numerous contracts in 2006. After the award of contract on PAPER, who will PAY the money?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by koruji(m): 10:08pm On Apr 27, 2013
You lost your bearing, nobody said GEJ did not do what he did.
If you can't comprehend what you read go back to school.
The statement started with "Kudos to GEJ...", but that doesn't mean he did it alone or is the king of the universe as would have us believe.

Like I wrote in my previous post actual construction started before the duo of Yar'adua/GEJ decided to suspend it:
"On 30 October 2006 President Olusegun Obasanjo signed a contract with China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation [4] to modernise the Lagos to Kano railway line. This is the first phase of the proposed 3 phase line upgrade. The project has been split up into 5 sections namely Lagos-Ibadan (181 km), Ibadan-Ilorin (200 km), Ilorin-Minna (270 km), Minna–Abuja–Kaduna (360 km), and Kaduna-Kano (305 km). Construction started, but the project was suspended in 2008 following a dispute."

GEJ's administration simply completed the unfinished sections of this line - get your facts right.
manny4life: Isn't it amazing how good stuff is attributed to OBJ, when it comes to the bad, they will remember GEJ. As far as I'm concerned, if OBJ could not resuscitate Nigerian rail for 8 years other than paper contracts, then GEJ takes the full credit. People can no longer be deceived, the opposition has to do a better job in discrediting GEJ in other areas people are not conversant not this.

Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by manny4life(m): 10:12pm On Apr 27, 2013
koruji: You lost your bearing, nobody said GEJ did not do what he did.
The statement started with "Kudos to GEJ...", but that doesn't mean he did it alone or is the king of the universe as would have us believe.

Like I wrote in my previous post actual construction started before the duo of Yar'adua/GEJ decided to suspend it:
"On 30 October 2006 President Olusegun Obasanjo signed a contract with China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation [4] to modernise the Lagos to Kano railway line. This is the first phase of the proposed 3 phase line upgrade. The project has been split up into 5 sections namely Lagos-Ibadan (181 km), Ibadan-Ilorin (200 km), Ilorin-Minna (270 km), Minna–Abuja–Kaduna (360 km), and Kaduna-Kano (305 km). Construction started, but the project was suspended in 2008 following a dispute."

GEJ's administration simply completed the unfinished sections of this line - get your facts right.

Dude, don't let me get on your case this evening, this is a peaceful Sat for me, but if u want to play your sarcastic, sadistic and sick game, I will more than deliver what you're anticipating for.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by koruji(m): 10:26pm On Apr 27, 2013
Don't quit your day job, comedy is not your thing.
Was this supposed to be funny? Not laughing !!!

manny4life:

Dude, don't let me get on your case this evening, this is a peaceful Sat for me, but if u want to play your sarcastic, sadistic and sick game, I will more than deliver what you're anticipating for.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by manny4life(m): 10:43pm On Apr 27, 2013
koruji: Don't quit your day job, comedy is not your thing.
Was this supposed to be funny? Not laughing !!!

Funny? Are you ok? Who said it was supposed to be funny? Seek help.

I'm not quitting my day job and even if I did, I'd come join you and your cohorts in propagating lies? Have you been drinking today?

Like I said, today is peaceful for me, carry your madness till tomorrow, and I will have your time.
Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by slimghost(m): 10:48pm On Apr 27, 2013
@Manny4life

I don't understand why you guys still have time for born haters and die hard bigots. The best reply forr them is SILENCE. Ndi igbo si na adiro adi ibuo ayi ara!
Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by koruji(m): 10:50pm On Apr 27, 2013
Hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm....
manny4life:

Funny? Are you ok? Who said it was supposed to be funny? Seek help.

I'm not quitting my day job and even if I did, I'd come join you and your cohorts in propagating lies? Have you been drinking today?

Like I said, today is peaceful for me, carry your madness till tomorrow, and I will have your time.
Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by koruji(m): 10:55pm On Apr 27, 2013
Name calling will not change facts - "ayi ara" to you too.
A bu'gi je

slimghost: @Manny4life
I don't understand why you guys still have time for born haters and die hard bigots. The best reply forr them is SILENCE. Ndi igbo si na adiro adi ibuo ayi ara!
Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by Nobody: 10:58pm On Apr 27, 2013
koruji: It is really hard to engage you people in any kind of reasonable conversation.
Seeing that you are paid - conflict of interest participants in the Nigerian project.
You people ride around here like intellectuals.
But your reasonings are pure instinct - like prize-fighting dogs.

Convince yourself of what you will - the facts are the facts.
The Chinese already started work on the railways rehabilitation projects, not just Lagos-Kano, before OBJ's tenure ended.
Even the article I posted showed that they were providing a $2 billion soft loan for the project.
Don't you find it contradictory that you find it so easy to separate OBJ's contribution to these projects and separate GEJ's role in the disaster presidency of the Yar'adua/GEJ duo.

Kudos for completing this part of the project aside, GEJ ought to be ashamed going around talking about rehabilitating railways that travel only about twice as a horse. Is that the transformation he promised?
You can't promise transformation, and then once you are in the chair point to repairs you are making to an unworkable system. That is not transformation - that is called "repairs".

I am out.

As certified paid ACN e-warrior, you should be ashamed of yourself for bringing up a SENSELESS contract that OBJ signed on paper after SEVEN SOLID years of running a COMATOSE govt. I understand perfectly that you'v been paid to diminish every achievement of GEJ, but so far you'v failed WOEFULLY.

I challenge you to show RESULTS of the paper contract that OBJ signed on the eve of his leaving office (2006). Of the $8billion, how much was released? What was percentage of WORK done? Its not enough for OBJ to sign contracts and place the BURDEN on his successors. He had 8yrs to WORK and achieve results.

Is it not hypocritical that the same paid ACN e-cockroaches that claim GEJ has not done much in 3yrs are here advocating that we should applaud OBJ for signing PAPER contracts 7yrs into his govt?

By the way, the Lagos-kano rail line was not rehabilitated with any silly loan. It was a PRIORITY project that was executed with regular budget and SURE-P. So go ask OBJ what he did with the soft or hard loan of $2billion. Did OBJ collect the loan before he left few months after signing the contract in 2007? Maybe he took the money to his farm.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by slimghost(m): 10:59pm On Apr 27, 2013
koruji: Name calling will not change facts - "ayi ara" to you too.
A bu'gi je

Hahahahahahahahahaha. Oga pls I don't have time for your madness now. Gudnite sir
Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by Afam4evaIsASlut: 11:01pm On Apr 27, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
As certified paid ACN e-warrior, you should be ashamed of yourself for bringing up a SENSELESS contract that OBJ signed on paper after SEVEN SOLID years of running a COMATOSE govt. I understand perfectly that you'v been paid to diminish every achievement of GEJ, but so far you'v failed WOEFULLY.

I challenge you to show RESULTS of the paper contract that OBJ signed on the eve of his leaving office (2006). Of the $8billion, how much was released? What was percentage of WORK done? Its not enough for OBJ to sign contracts and place the BURDEN on his successors. He had 8yrs to WORK and achieve results.

Is it not hypocritical that the same paid ACN e-cockroaches that claim GEJ has not done much in 3yrs are here advocating that we should applaud OBJ for signing PAPER contracts 7yrs into his govt?

By the way, the Lagos-kano rail line was not rehabilitated with any silly loan. It was a PRIORITY project that was executed with regular budget and SURE-P. So go ask OBJ what he did with the soft or hard loan of $2billion. Did OBJ collect the loan before he left few months after signing the contract in 2007? Maybe he took the money to his farm.

Hey, Dibia, When do you have time for your Spouse and kids?
Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by Nobody: 11:08pm On Apr 27, 2013
koruji: You lost your bearing, nobody said GEJ did not do what he did.

Look at this paid fool! So OBJ signed a contract in Oct 2006 and left office in May 2007. So what WORK was done? Show us any report of commencement and progress of WORK on the project. How much WORK was done within 6months before OBJ left in 2007? Why did OBJ suddenly wake from DEEP slumber to sign multitude of contracts 6months to the end of his administration? Even from the way govt runs in Nigeria, it normally takes more than 6months from signing of contract to mobilization to site to commence work. Fools can only deceive fellow fools. Nonsense!

In case you dont know, Abacha also signed contracts for railway projects. So why didnt OBJ continue the contract and bring it to fruition when he came to power in 1999? Why wait till Oct 2006 to sign another contract?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by Nobody: 11:12pm On Apr 27, 2013
Afam4evaIsASlut:

Hey, Dibia, When do you have time for your Spouse and kids?
If that is now your headache, fell free to create a new thread for us to thrash that out

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by slimghost(m): 11:12pm On Apr 27, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Look at this paid fool! So OBJ signed a contract in Oct 2006 and left office in May 2007. So what WORK was done? Show us any report of commencement and progress of WORK on the project. How much WORK was done within 6months before OBJ left in 2007? Why did OBJ suddenly wake from DEEP slumber to sign multitude of contracts 6months to the end of his administration? Even from the way govt runs in Nigeria, it normally takes more than 6months from signing of contract to mobilization to site to commence work. Fools can only deceive fellow fools. Nonsense!

That dude is a paid APC dog, so desist from trying to have a decent convo with him. All he understands are lies and cheap propagandas.
Re: Nigeria Tries To Get On Track With New Lagos-Kano Train- GlobalPost by koruji(m): 11:15pm On Apr 27, 2013
Mumu dey worry you.
Since GEJ did the work, why don't you show me the shovel and hammer he used to lay the lines.
It was neither GEJ's money or time or anything that personally belonged to him that went into the project.
He continued a contract that was already being executed, simple as ABC.
The project as planned by OBJ included the Abuja light rail, fast rail connections between Lagos and Abuja, among others.
GEJ gets praise for continuing the work, but he didn't start it and he has not improved on it either.

So keep your arrogant BS to yourself - nobody is buying it.
Show me indeed...why don't you show me shovel GEJ used in laying the rail lines - since we are deep into the absurd now!

You are fooling yourself, when you say the contract was not being executed with any soft loan.
The fact is that GEJ's govt. is spending most of the budget on recurrent items - like banquet halls for example.
Who born monkey? The govt. that was virtually collapsing and stealing funds from state allocations to pay petrol subsidies last year and is already arranging to borrow another $9 billion, most of it from the same Chinese.

The truth hurts the ear I know.

Sincere 9gerian:

(1) (2) (Reply)

Strange Fish Causes Stir In Ibadan / Role Of Opposition Party In Democracy A.p.c. Stand For Truth / The Hilarious Moment When A Guy Told Obama ‘don’t Touch My Girlfriend’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.