Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,263 members, 7,836,195 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER - Fashion (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER (148308 Views)

Looking For Styles To Sew Check In Here / DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Nobody: 7:55am On Oct 22, 2013
I totally love this thread! cheesy cheesy Hope I'm not too late to join in the learning process?
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by prompt(f): 9:50am On Oct 22, 2013
Able Teacher Efosa, thanks for the clarity on armhole question cos i now get it.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by JECU: 10:21am On Oct 22, 2013
I am a silent follower.@ Efosa pls can u show us d back of ur made jacket.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 9:08pm On Oct 22, 2013
JECU: I am a silent follower.@ Efosa pls can u show us d back of ur made jacket.

Ok ma am...........here we go cheesy

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 9:23pm On Oct 22, 2013
From my last post of the front your front pice cut should look like this with seam allowance added to all the requred areas

Pls note the little cut out at my under bust area this is the excess that must be taken out so that the cup area of the bust can form

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 10:07pm On Oct 22, 2013
THE BACK

The back follows the same process as the front.place your fabric on fold.take your 2inch center seam,then the neck then your shoulder,mark out your point to point again.mark out your arm hole divition ,then mark your all your mesurement by lenght on the bust area.(Upper bust lenght,bust length,under bust lenght) connect the lines at where the bust meets the arm hole and meets the point to point.

Note ,unlike the front that we had to cut an excess out for the bust cup aera to come out.......at the back we do not cut anything out.you can shape it but be carefull so as not to bring out unecessary cut at the back

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 10:39pm On Oct 22, 2013
THE LINNING AND INTERFACING

We done with the front and Back, next is to use our front and back pices to cut the lining and inter-face, some one asked me on this thread earlier where to place the interfacing.......let me anwser her now.

Depends on you thou if you feel like adding airstay to the whole out fit you are free,if not you can just add to the front alone

. But as for me I added it to all.also because my lace fabric has big big holes in it I had to do dobble lining on mine

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 11:00pm On Oct 22, 2013
Cut your airstay as well and iron it to eitheir your fabric (that's if it doesn't have holes) or your lining.

My next step was to join the three items together. Fabric +lining + airstay

I did this for all the pieces I cut for the body

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 7:59am On Oct 24, 2013
temithayor: @EFOSA Welldone and good job. For the armhole, do I have to add 1 inch allowance so its not tight after the joining of the dart that ends at the armhole. My actual arm hole is 9 inches

Secondly you talked about adding air stay to the cuts.were do I add this stay? Is it at the front where buttons would be or where?

Thirdly, would the stay be betweem the fabric and the lining
or on the lining.

Also which one is air stay, I know about soft and hard.

Lastly, how do u get the neck and front to have like taping from the lining ? I mean the green contrast running from neck down the front where buttons would be. Sorry I be learner o.

Yes thanks for giving me time.cheesy

So if ur arm hole is 9 placed on fold.out of that 9 you will cut 6 from shoulder down to get you division,after sewing it will become 5.then the second side remaining.make sure its 5 when u cut,and after sewing it becomes 4.when u add 5+4=9 that's your arm hole.

Air stay question.you can add all over if you want (like mine,I cut 2 separate linings because of the holes on the lace.so on the lining that follows the lace directly I added airstay all through.the second lining that I used as turn up on my jacket I did not add air stay.)

But If you don't want to add all over,you must add to the front. The role of the air stay is to give your jacket weight and firmness remember
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by lechiffre: 10:44am On Oct 24, 2013
onnari :
I'm so excited to announce this Sew Along exercise coming up soon!

First of all, A Sew-Along is a long - distance meet-up for sewing. Irrespective of location,we all make an outfit together and best thing is, it's freeee!

HOW:
1. A piece would be chosen after being generally agreed upon i.e. we might have to use a majority vote type of thing.

2. Fabrics and necessary notions would be specified

3. A detailed schedule would be published for easy reference

4. Posts would be brief to avoid overloads

5 Photos/links of participants’ fabrics as well as work –in-process and finished projects would be published

6 Myself as well other participants would be on hand to assist whoever gets ‘stuck’

WHEN:
A date hasn’t been fixed as this would also be generally agreed upon, however as soon as entries have been organized, the date would be announced a week before.

WHERE:
Wherever you choose! As it would be an online meet up.

WHAT:
So far I’ve gotten requests for Ankara dresses and skirts, so if you have a particular piece in mind, fell free to drop
a line/photo as we aren’t using a pattern (buying or mailing patterns here in Naija isn’t a walk in the park!) So go through your favourite designers ( Jewel By Lisa has been brought up more than once), and mail me your requests so we can reach a conclusion!

As you already know, a photograph would need to be posted of our intended project.

Email
: thatssewnaija@gmail.com

WHO:
Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced ‘sewers’ – whether you sew for a living or just for fun, you’re welcome, this is just a fun experience and an opportunity to learn from each other.

Further info would be communicated to you.

News!!! Just loaded and free of charge. Contact 232E12C2 now get more details
If you are interested in
Guide to open an Accessories Store
- Guide to Become an Actor 
- Guide to Become a Bridal Salon Owner
- Guide to Become an Event Planner 
- Guide to Become a Fashion Designer
- Guide to Become a Professional Photographer 
- Guide to Become a Fashion stylist
then let's get started.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by temithayor: 1:17pm On Oct 24, 2013
EFOSA VAL:

Yes thanks for giving me time.cheesy

So if ur arm hole is 9 placed on fold.out of that 9 you will cut 6 from shoulder down to get you division,after sewing it will become 5.then the second side remaining.make sure its 5 when u cut,and after sewing it becomes 4.when u add 5+4=9 that's your arm hole.

Air stay question.you can add all over if you want (like mine,I cut 2 separate linings because of the holes on the lace.so on the lining that follows the lace directly I added airstay all through.the second lining that I used as turn up on my jacket I did not add air stay.)

But I you don't want to add all over,you must add to the front. The role of the air stay is to give your jacket weight and firmness remember wink

Thanks EFosa, got it now, you are too much
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by nickieo: 4:12pm On Oct 24, 2013
I love the first dress... d orange one
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yodiyokun(f): 4:27pm On Oct 24, 2013
@Efosa, great work filling in for @onnari. I have been missing in action because I was waiting for my Dress form. Its now arrived and I'm modifying it to my shape and measurements.

I have some questions though for you -

1. how did you cut out your sleeve? That is one area I need serious help with.
2. Your front view shows that your lining is peeping out at the edges as if you used pipping? How did you get that effect? Is this intentional? How I don't want my lining to show at the edges at all

3. I thought that the lining is cut a little bigger than the main fabric to allow for movement.

I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by temithayor: 8:15am On Oct 25, 2013
People, pls let's upload our updates on the jacket and share. Still on mine. Would be uploading as soon as possible.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by temithayor: 8:25am On Oct 25, 2013
yodiyokun: @Efosa, great work filling in for @onnari. I have been missing in action because I was waiting for my Dress form. Its now arrived and I'm modifying it to my shape and measurements.

I have some questions though for you -

1. how did you cut out your sleeve? That is one area I need serious help with.
2. Your front view shows that your lining is peeping out at the edges as if you used pipping? How did you get that effect? Is this intentional? How I don't want my lining to show at the edges at all

3. I thought that the lining is cut a little bigger than the main fabric to allow for movement.

I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks

@EFOSA I was going to ask question on the sleeves also. How do I cut the sleeves.
I guess @ yodiyokun was talking about adding the bias. How do we go about that also.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by jazmeen: 1:13pm On Oct 25, 2013
This is very very lovely!!!!!!!!God bless you all for pouring out of urselves for we learning@onari,and every GOD blessU all,I'm new on this thread and can't really see all the post.but hopefully as from naw imma join in the sew along.its wonderful ​⌣»̶·̵̭̌·̵̭̌✽̤̈̊Ŧђɑ̤̥̈̊п̥̥̲̣̣̣kƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇✽̤̈̊·̵̭̌·̵̭̌«̶⌣ y'all
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 11:12pm On Oct 26, 2013
Lol...........thanks to all that have been following.
The neck and hand na small thing. wink
Pls just hang on for me to explain the lining first remember I have to carry every one along.

Also pls try to post your work so that this thread can be lively.Remember that we are almost there. wink
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 12:20am On Oct 27, 2013
From my last picture post, (where I told you how to place your airstay to your lining before sewing it together with your main fabric)

,the next step is to join all the seprate cuts together.........eg join all the back cuts together.

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 12:27am On Oct 27, 2013
Same process applies to the front,when u done flat open the seams and iron all.

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 12:44am On Oct 27, 2013
Remember I said I am using double lining becouse of the holes on the lace,so its time to join my lining together for the turn up,

I join all the front together as well as all the back

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 1:04am On Oct 27, 2013
cheesy grin @ yodiyokun its time to answer one of your questions which is about the lining coming out

First that's not my lining,its piping.I use the same colour as my lining that's why you think its the lining coming out wink

This is my bias and also how I placed cord in the middle of the bais

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 1:14am On Oct 27, 2013
Note that after this process of setting my cord in my bias I will then sew it round the neck of my lace as well as my front opening plus at the egdes of my pouckets.

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 1:26am On Oct 27, 2013
At the end of placing the pipping on the main fabric (the lace) I now used that second sown lining to do turn up with the bias piping with the lace.

I fixed the bias piping in the middle of the lace.

Also notice how neat my lining looks when I turned it inside out

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 1:39am On Oct 27, 2013
;Dmy lining,the inside view.Note that all the seam is concealed

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 10:17am On Oct 27, 2013
The sleeve. This is the next stage in this process.

My sleeve measurements are lenght 22,arm 14,rist 10, will post pictures later.

Thanks wink
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by purjc(f): 7:12pm On Oct 27, 2013
EFOSA VAL: The sleeve. This is the next stage in this process.

My sleeve measurements are lenght 22,arm 14,rist 10, will post pictures later.

Thanks wink
Pls am just following this thread, I really luv 2 learn how to sew how do I participate?
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 7:36pm On Oct 27, 2013
Noone seems to be uploading their work pics- @Efosa I guess u should chill till they do, I mean efosa's putting in time from a busy schedule for this n none of u guys r encouraging her or the thread with ur uploads.
Pls guys, not only questions shld be uploaded, photos should be uploaded as well- don't wait till u have a complete jacket. Send in ur fabric photos, work in process photos and the like!
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 7:37pm On Oct 27, 2013
purj.c:

Pls am just following this thread, I really luv 2 learn how to sew how do I participate?

U just get ur sewing materials ready, and then follow the instructor's posts.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by mcstar(f): 10:46pm On Oct 27, 2013
I'm new on this thread. Love it so much. I'm actually a beginner and I want to get my own sewing machine that's not so basic and can grow with me as my skills improve. I don't want butterfly. Any suggestions pls? Thank you all
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 5:54pm On Oct 28, 2013
onnari :
Noone seems to be uploading their work pics- @Efosa I guess u should chill till they do, I mean efosa's putting in time from a busy schedule for this n none of u guys r encouraging her or the thread with ur uploads.
Pls guys, not only questions shld be uploaded, photos should be uploaded as well- don't wait till u have a complete jacket. Send in ur fabric photos, work in process photos and the like!

grin grin grin grin onnari dear, so nice of you to come by,how have u been ?

Am not too surprised that they are not uploading their pictures cheesy the truth is jacket making is harder than some regular dresses. wink. Even at my fashion school i dont teach jackets to beginners ( pls guys no offence ment) the reason is that they need to know the basics before going to advanced stuffs. Infact this is partly why i selected the orange jacket to make first coz it seamed easy to me to explain to an online audience onlike the other that had concealed zipper pockets, roll collar,and option of band or bandless rist cheesy so
I suggest we do more simple styles on next editions for fun. Just my thought thou,i am open to suggestions o.

Now this no change anything o. I shall still finish my jacket sleeve for those who can wink
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 6:19pm On Oct 28, 2013
mcstar: I'm new on this thread. Love it so much. I'm actually a beginner and I want to get my own sewing machine that's not so basic and can grow with me as my skills improve. I don't want butterfly. Any suggestions pls? Thank you all

Welcome dear,well there are other brands that are very good too .when you get to the store where they sell you can ask of sendo,birdfly, sumec......these are the once i can remember now.well goodluck on that dear wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (34) (Reply)

Lingerie! A Must Have! / Sonam Kapoor Style Diva / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.