Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,112 members, 7,835,754 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:23 PM

A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER - Fashion (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER (148302 Views)

Looking For Styles To Sew Check In Here / DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 8:02pm On Oct 28, 2013
EFOSA VAL:

grin grin grin grin onnari dear, so nice of you to come by,how have u been ?

Am not too surprised that they are not uploading their pictures cheesy the truth is jacket making is harder than some regular dresses. wink. Even at my fashion school i dont teach jackets to beginners ( pls guys no offence ment) the reason is that they need to know the basics before going to advanced stuffs. Infact this is partly why i selected the orange jacket to make first coz it seamed easy to me to explain to an online audience onlike the other that had concealed zipper pockets, roll collar,and option of band or bandless rist cheesy so
I suggest we do more simple styles on next editions for fun. Just my thought thou,i am open to suggestions o.

Now this no change anything o. I shall still finish my jacket sleeve for those who can wink

Yeah- jackets r more complicated but @ least they are participating so pics of their work ought to be sent in. Even fabric pics havnt been uploaded @ all, haba!
It spices things up all in all...
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by cheries: 10:40pm On Oct 28, 2013
onnari :
Noone seems to be uploading their work pics- @Efosa I guess u should chill till they do, I mean efosa's putting in time from a busy schedule for this n none of u guys r encouraging her or the thread with ur uploads.
Pls guys, not only questions shld be uploaded, photos should be uploaded as well- don't wait till u have a complete jacket. Send in ur fabric photos, work in process photos and the like!
I understand perfectly well what u meant......will upload mine in the morning.
Thanx Efosa. U are more than a teacher
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by cheries: 9:24am On Oct 29, 2013
The back of my jacket.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by cheries: 9:24am On Oct 29, 2013
The front
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by cheries: 9:26am On Oct 29, 2013
I have joined the shoulders(i.e the back and the front)
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by cheries: 9:30am On Oct 29, 2013
Now, my question...... There is 2inches at the front. How do i pipe it? What exactly do i do to it? I'm confused.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by goforwardagu: 3:01pm On Oct 29, 2013
@Efosa u have done soooooooooooooo well in this sew along.u are indeed a good teacher.

i dont have pictures to upload becos am waiting for the other jacket wit the lapel.hope it will still be taught

@Onnari please forgive us but remember people also voted for the exclamation jackets grin

we are waiting for u or efosa for that one too.

thanks to both of you for sharing your knowledge grin
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by lechiffre: 5:25pm On Oct 29, 2013
onnari :
I'm so excited to announce this Sew Along exercise coming up soon!

First of all, A Sew-Along is a long - distance meet-up for sewing. Irrespective of location,we all make an outfit together and best thing is, it's freeee!

HOW:
1. A piece would be chosen after being generally agreed upon i.e. we might have to use a majority vote type of thing.

2. Fabrics and necessary notions would be specified

3. A detailed schedule would be published for easy reference

4. Posts would be brief to avoid overloads

5 Photos/links of participants’ fabrics as well as work –in-process and finished projects would be published

6 Myself as well other participants would be on hand to assist whoever gets ‘stuck’

WHEN:
A date hasn’t been fixed as this would also be generally agreed upon, however as soon as entries have been organized, the date would be announced a week before.

WHERE:
Wherever you choose! As it would be an online meet up.

WHAT:
So far I’ve gotten requests for Ankara dresses and skirts, so if you have a particular piece in mind, fell free to drop
a line/photo as we aren’t using a pattern (buying or mailing patterns here in Naija isn’t a walk in the park!) So go through your favourite designers ( Jewel By Lisa has been brought up more than once), and mail me your requests so we can reach a conclusion!

As you already know, a photograph would need to be posted of our intended project.

Email
: thatssewnaija@gmail.com

WHO:
Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced ‘sewers’ – whether you sew for a living or just for fun, you’re welcome, this is just a fun experience and an opportunity to learn from each other.

Further info would be communicated to you.

News!!! Just loaded and free of charge. Contact 232E12C2 now get more details
If you are interested in
Guide to open an Accessories Store
- Guide to Become an Actor 
- Guide to Become a Bridal Salon Owner
- Guide to Become an Event Planner 
- Guide to Become a Fashion Designer
- Guide to Become a Professional Photographer 
- Guide to Become a Fashion stylist
then let's get started.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 5:37pm On Oct 29, 2013
lechiffre:

News!!! Just loaded and free of charge. Contact 232E12C2 now get more details
If you are interested in
Guide to open an Accessories Store
- Guide to Become an Actor 
- Guide to Become a Bridal Salon Owner
- Guide to Become an Event Planner 
- Guide to Become a Fashion Designer
- Guide to Become a Professional Photographer 
- Guide to Become a Fashion stylist
then let's get started.

I beg u in d name of anything u hold holy, CAN U STOP SPAMMING THIS THREAD?
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 5:38pm On Oct 29, 2013
goforwardagu: @Efosa u have done soooooooooooooo well in this sew along.u are indeed a good teacher.

i dont have pictures to upload becos am waiting for the other jacket wit the lapel.hope it will still be taught

@Onnari please forgive us but remember people also voted for the exclamation jackets grin

we are waiting for u or efosa for that one too.

thanks to both of you for sharing your knowledge grin

Yes the xclamations jacket actually got the winning vote but from the look of things it can't me made this month(october) anumore and would have to be shifted forward.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by oduamine: 8:38pm On Oct 30, 2013
hi guys sorry for not posting my fabrics been busy @efosa thanks for the teaching ua one luv.this is my fabrics

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by gianni(f): 8:46pm On Oct 31, 2013
I loooove all your fabrics, @ onari. especially the black and whites. where did you get them from ,please? and what type of fabric are they?
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by quickysale: 5:59pm On Nov 01, 2013
Cool, please when done could we have people wear them and also post on www.africanfashiondesigns.net for all too see and post the links here as well. The site is free by the way so no fears.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 9:15pm On Nov 01, 2013
onnari :

Yeah- jackets r more complicated but @ least they are participating so pics of their work ought to be sent in. Even fabric pics havnt been uploaded @ all, haba!
It spices things up all in all...

You are so right. wink pips make una try na.

Cherish and odunamine ,Weldon dear.can't wait to see your finished job

thanks to all for your love and support.may god bless the works of our hands amen.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 10:56pm On Nov 01, 2013
Pictures of my sleeve, explanation follows soon.wink

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by elektra(f): 10:16pm On Nov 02, 2013
I have been following this thread. I even made the yellow dress, but I used linen because I an an absolute beginner and did not want to ruin any expensive fabric.
A big thank you to Onnari and Efosa. I have learnt soooo much. God bless you two. Please do not be discouraged.
I will be joining in on making the jacket as soon as I get my fabric.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by cheries: 4:46pm On Nov 03, 2013
EFOSA VAL:

You are so right. wink pips make una try na.

Cherish and odunamine ,Weldon dear.can't wait to see your finished job

thanks to all for your love and support.may god bless the works of our hands amen.
@ Efosa, pls, i have a question concerning the front of the jacket. The 2inches at the front, how do i handle it? I'm confused. Please, put me through so that i can start with the piping.....Thanx
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 7:13pm On Nov 03, 2013
cheries: @ Efosa, pls, i have a question concerning the front of the jacket. The 2inches at the front, how do i handle it? I'm confused. Please, put me through so that i can start with the piping.....Thanx

Cut your linning the same size as the main fabric,sew the shoulders together then place your piping on the egde of the fabric from the neck down to where your 2inch is ,sew round after that use your linning to turn it inside out

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by oduamine: 7:37pm On Nov 03, 2013
@efosa please can you explain the sleeves thanks
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 8:12pm On Nov 03, 2013
oduamine: @efosa please can you explain the sleeves thanks

So my measurement for my sleeve is arm whole 9,arm 15 ,rist 10,lenght 22

Note that jacket sleeves are not like regullar sleeves .its cut into two for style and effect

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by cheries: 8:16pm On Nov 03, 2013
EFOSA VAL:

Cut your linning the same size as the main fabric,sew the shoulders together then place your piping on the egde of the fabric from the neck down to where your 2inch is ,sew round after that use your linning to turn it inside out
@ Efosa, thanx a lot
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by jazmeen: 10:41pm On Nov 03, 2013
Lovely I'd love to follow the nxt sew along plssssssss tanks
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 11:39pm On Nov 03, 2013
Thanks cherrish and you are welcome jazmeen

So considering the cut on the on the sleeve I fold my fabric into two using my arm measurement 15 plus 2inch for seam allowance that makes 17inch.also my lenght is 22 and I added 1inch for seam alowance. so for length I cut out 23inch

Next I measured 4inches in to get the S shape on the cap area of the sleeve while my fabric is still placed on fold.next I divide the sleeve into two making sure that my seam allowance is included.also the division of my sleeve as you can see the diagram on side is small while the other is like half and a quater.then notice the slight curve on the pices I cut its to the sleeve a bit narro when I join it.

So I use my measure ment to cut my two pices sleeve making sure that after the sleeve is joined I have 15inch as re required on the arm area and 9inch as required on the sleeve area also 22 as required on the lenght area.

1 Like

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by goforwardagu: 1:14pm On Nov 05, 2013
Efosa u are too much ohhhhhhh grin

i never knew one could cut a suit piece without pattern but you just did.

one question tho,is order to get one side of the sleeve small and the other big,is there a ratio or sharing formula or division to use to get dat style?

you have been such a help to us all on this thread,God bless you real good.

Another thing are we still going ahead with the 2nd jacket?so i can get my materials ready.really want to make that one

Thanks so much for your time and for sharing your knowledge grin grin grin grin
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 10:10pm On Nov 05, 2013
Goforwardagu.I am so happay that the process of making jackets like this looks simple to you now.shows my desired goal which is to make sure you understand was meet. But pls note that there are some very complicated jacket styles that would require certine types of parttern in order to make that

The sleeve question...........yes there is a guide to it.remember that your back center seam,then your back mid seam plus your back side seam........

.your sleeve slit can either be on top of your mid slit or slightly above and some times below the mid seam.depends on the one you want.

also on regular sleeves where the side seam of the sleeve is conected to the side seam of the main body as armpit joining, that of jackets is not like that.the sleeves joining move alittle away from the armpit.

Use the diagrams as a guide
The circle on the daigram is the armpit joinig.

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by sstartony: 10:31pm On Nov 05, 2013
Please, where in Lagos can I get sewing materials (Wholesales ) I also want to buy industrial sewing machine; which product should I go for?
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 10:47pm On Nov 05, 2013
sstartony: Please, where in Lagos can I get sewing materials (Wholesales ) I also want to buy industrial sewing machine; which product should I go for?

For fabrics you can go to yaba or idumota.

For sewing mechines you can get Emel brand or armro.its about 45 -50k
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 10:52pm On Nov 05, 2013
Here is what my finished jacket looks like on me.I couldn't resist wearing it to work today. cheesy hope you all like it.wink

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by oduamine: 6:19am On Nov 06, 2013
@ efosa the jacket looks lovely on you will post my jacket soon
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Sissie(f): 9:31am On Nov 06, 2013
I have been so busy and wasn't able to join this sew along, hopefully I will revisit the thread and sew mine too.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Sissie(f): 9:33am On Nov 06, 2013
EFOSA VAL: Here is what my finished jacket looks like on me.I couldn't resist wearing it to work today. cheesy hope you all like it.wink

This is lovely. I love the color, style everything.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 5:44pm On Nov 06, 2013
Oduamine and sissie thanks so much smiley

This officially ends the explaining of the orange jacket sew along project.

Now is time for the next sew along project.true by arrangement its supposed to be the next jacket but I don't want to be forward,I would like onarri to tell us what next to do. Also to find out if she will be with us this time for the next sew along.

In the main time pls people you can send in your projects post so we know how far you ve gone or where help is needed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (34) (Reply)

Lingerie! A Must Have! / Sonam Kapoor Style Diva / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.