Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,532 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

#ListenUpGoogle Why Google Omitted Nigeria On 2-step Verification Country List? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / #ListenUpGoogle Why Google Omitted Nigeria On 2-step Verification Country List? (4239 Views)

#listenupgoogle / Why Google Killed Linda Ikeji (the Real Reason) / 4 + 1 Common Reasons Why Google Adsense May Suspend/ban Your Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

#ListenUpGoogle Why Google Omitted Nigeria On 2-step Verification Country List? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Apr 29, 2013
Initially I activated the feature (2-Step Verification) without hassles, even though Nigeria wasn't listed in the supported countries list. However, the trouble starts when you for any reason deactivate the feature and try to activate it again. Then it will return error message "Invalid mobile number".

Its really annoying that fundamental security feature like this, that Google would omit Nigeria as though we're not important to their scheme of things. I bet its high time we begin to speakout concerning such unreasonable disenfranchisement. Not say a common Kenyan makes a beef about Nigeria and all of us will throng on Twitter to fight back, when there are pressing needs to tackle.

We really need to take our displeasure to Google, we're tired of these sort of marginalization. Who will join us #ListenUpGoogle
Re: #ListenUpGoogle Why Google Omitted Nigeria On 2-step Verification Country List? by AllRoundGist: 7:00pm On Apr 29, 2013
it's wrong of Google to do that. Nigerian bloggers help them a lot and they should stop this act of racism. [color=#006600][/color]

1 Like

Re: #ListenUpGoogle Why Google Omitted Nigeria On 2-step Verification Country List? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Apr 29, 2013
Come to think of it, Nigeria too seems to be the only country still receiving AdSense payment in Cheque. Is this not sheer disenfranchisement? Pls join us on Twitter to speak out on this issues! Our hash tag is #ListenUpGoogle
Re: #ListenUpGoogle Why Google Omitted Nigeria On 2-step Verification Country List? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Apr 29, 2013
We are soliciting the support of all Nigerian bloggers on NL to join in this campaign and whoever writes on it will get a Retweet from us @Questechie mention us and you're good to go! Pls join us.
Re: #ListenUpGoogle Why Google Omitted Nigeria On 2-step Verification Country List? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Apr 29, 2013
We are happy to inform you that the ever popular and notorious @Gidi_Traffic is with us in this campaign. Join us!
Re: #ListenUpGoogle Why Google Omitted Nigeria On 2-step Verification Country List? by JideTheBlogger(m): 8:23pm On Apr 29, 2013
Still wondering when we will be able to receive Adsense electronic payments

1 Like

Re: #ListenUpGoogle Why Google Omitted Nigeria On 2-step Verification Country List? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Apr 29, 2013
JideTheBlogger: Still wondering when we will be able to receive Adsense electronic payments

Jide, I wonder ooo! This marginalization must stop. Join us on Twitter #ListenUpGoogle
Re: #ListenUpGoogle Why Google Omitted Nigeria On 2-step Verification Country List? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Apr 29, 2013
I THINK SOME BLOGGERS RECEIVE PAYMENTS VIA THEIR DORMICILIARY ACCOUNT.
Re: #ListenUpGoogle Why Google Omitted Nigeria On 2-step Verification Country List? by ologunduduabra(m): 10:42pm On Apr 29, 2013
this is just another single story. google must listen. http://www.seasonedlifejournal.com/2013/04/my-single-story.html
Re: #ListenUpGoogle Why Google Omitted Nigeria On 2-step Verification Country List? by Nobody: 9:00am On Apr 30, 2013
Where are the Mods here? kindly move this post to front page please. Not when someone posts an unclad picture of Rihana it easily makes it to front page!

1 Like

Re: #ListenUpGoogle Why Google Omitted Nigeria On 2-step Verification Country List? by Nobody: 9:02am On Apr 30, 2013
Brand_new: I THINK SOME BLOGGERS RECEIVE PAYMENTS VIA THEIR DORMICILIARY ACCOUNT.

That should be in their dreams! Its Check or nothing, bro. Why we're agitating for a better option. Join us on Twitter now #ListenUpGoogle
Re: #ListenUpGoogle Why Google Omitted Nigeria On 2-step Verification Country List? by globalwaly(m): 9:16am On Apr 30, 2013
Hmmmm, i was suprised to see Nigerian excluded from the list.. What a shame...

1 Like

Re: #ListenUpGoogle Why Google Omitted Nigeria On 2-step Verification Country List? by Nobody: 9:37am On Apr 30, 2013
globalwaly: Hmmmm, i was suprised to see Nigerian excluded from the list.. What a shame...

Bro, good to see you here! Pls join us on twitter now #ListenUpgoogle
Re: #ListenUpGoogle Why Google Omitted Nigeria On 2-step Verification Country List? by chazzyx: 1:30pm On Jun 13, 2013
d_johnny: Initially I activated the feature (2-Step Verification) without hassles, even though Nigeria wasn't listed in the supported countries list. However, the trouble starts when you for any reason deactivate the feature and try to activate it again. Then it will return error message "Invalid mobile number".
Its really annoying that fundamental security feature like this, that Google would omit Nigeria as though we're not important to their scheme of things. I bet its high time we begin to speakout concerning such unreasonable disenfranchisement. Not say a common Kenyan makes a beef about Nigeria and all of us will throng on Twitter to fight back, when there are pressing needs to tackle.
We really need to take our displeasure to Google, we're tired of these sort of marginalization. Who will join us #ListenUpGoogle

@chazzyx.
I had the same issues when you want to add another phone. See my report to Google support below.
========================================BEGIN========================================

[b]TO:
Google support,
Please restore NIGERIA ON THE LIST OF COUNTRIES ON THE PAGE WHERE 2-STEP AUTHENTICATION IS ACTIVATED.
Please do fix the issue being reported by me.
I started moving most of my communications from Yahoo mail when I could not activate 2-step Authentication as my country, NIGERIA is not listed in the list of possible countries whose phone numbers that can be registered.
Google, initially made this possible for those of us in Nigeria.
Google cannot say it does not do business with Nigerians. As I am inundated with Google ads of local
Nigerian companies which indicate to me that Google receive patronage from ad sellers in Nigeria.
In recent time, the lack of this feature in Yahoo mail has caused a lot of damage to peoples image because those emails have been hacked easily by both local and foreign hackers for their evil financial motives.
Hence, for online email security, 2-STEP AUTHENTICATION must necessarily be included.
And most of those hacked have lost those accounts to the hackers because of Yahoo's lax policies to customer support.
Let me use this medium to state that 'NOT ALL THE CITIZENS OF A PARTICULAR COUNTY, LOCAL GOVERNMENT, STATE, REGION OR COUNTRY ARE FRAUDULENT'. I read Ars Technica every now and then to learn of the exploits of hackers/fraudsters from around the world. And make the conclusion that individuals, Organizations and Nations should deal with other individual(s) and groups on a case-by-case basis without the stereotyping that is now the norm nowadays.
And I also make bold to say 'THAT THERE IS NO COUNTY, LOCAL GOVERNMENT, STATE, MUNICIPALITY, REGION OR COUNTRY WHERE A NIGERIAN CANNOT MATCH THEIR LEVEL OF SKILL-SET, DRIVE, INNOVATION AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP WHEN ON A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD WITHOUT THE LIMITING STEREOTYPES.
I also want to state that the positive inclusion of everyone (according to applicable laws) in a global world will make for a safer and better world for everyone than erecting barricades (aided by stereotypes). Unjust walls (like these) and policies breed resentment and hatreds which leads to fanaticism and ultimately violence and terrorism.
Best regards,
@chazzyx
[/b]
======================================END===========================================

I have also added a screen capture for ALL to see it clearly.

THE NIGERIA CONNECTION
Introduction.
Well, I can tell you that all these happening to us 9jans is actually because of our obvious near system collapse. Google like many other organizations before them are just acting according to the script of exclusion that our national handlers are giving them. When you cannot provide the basic amenities/necessities of life for yourselves as a nation, how do you want anybody to take you seriously for any other matter. When I reflect on the fact that so many basic but essential things like road and electricity are missing, I just conclude that we are not existing as a true living Nation. Please, I want to be quoted wrong with tangible and verifiable stats.

An Example.
Look at it this way, let me use South Africa as my African example. They are not perfect and have their own unique problems too. (When you read the story of Singapore which started with no Natural resources in the book: FROM THIRD WORLD TO FIRST WORLD, you will weep daily when you watch things happening to us as a nation that were counterfeits of the very possible real thing. Nigeria and so many other countries were mentioned in the damning reports on the different countries Lee Kuan Yew mentioned). And most of all, you will appreciate what it takes to develop a nation, apart from leadership and individual commitment of citizens to the cause - it also requires global inclusion.

South Africa.
South Africa came out of Apartheid just like yesterday (1992) to me and immediately went about doing the right things like setting up Diplomatic and Business development commission with a FIRM mandate to make sure they are represented in all relevant areas on the global stage like Access to markets, attracting Foreign investments, representation on International bodies etc. This Diplomatic posture and drive ensured that they were recognized and represented positively on the global scene in a good time. Their independence from 1992 to 2013 = 21 years now.
Result.

There is no area on the web especially where they are not adequately and positively represented.
They have the following as a result of their positive national policies,
- They must be represented positively in all organizations that do business with them. Hence, SA now show up on ALMOST any website you access worldwide.
- Their National policy of global inclusion makes things like PayPal or ecommerce (just to cite an important example to me) recognition a given to their citizens. If not, how can we explain that even smaller countries in economic sizes like Niger and Ghana are on PayPal while so-called Nigeria still lag behind in global inclusion (but now have personally accepted minor in major matters like development).

Resultant Effect.
This has created juicy profit centres for the banks (who do ecommerce transactions on your behalf) and some savvy enterpreneurs who now profit by making possible PROXY ECOMMERCE TRANSACTIONS for those interested in buying goods from ebay, amazon etc. as if we are in a country under severe economic sanctions. Even Iranian citizens under serious economic sanctions fare better than us when it comes to access to the global platform for higher standard of living. By having access to global markets on individual basis.

How can the CBN and federal government be thinking of ways of deepening our financial and developing the economic sectors when people cannot bring in equipment and technologies easily as there is no secure mode of transnational transactions.

I personally is ashamed of our situation in 9ja when I see the advantaged few profit from our exclusion by reason of our national Luke warmness to doing the right things that benefit all in this country.

CBN ACT!
The CBN should investigate that our money cards are not crippled versions and fix the problems that make it impossible for NIGERIANS to use their MASTERCARD & VISA cards etc on sites like PayPal that is a very good security tool that reduces fraud in worldwide ecommerce transactions. As your card details are not given to anybody when processing through paypal.

I do not want to conclude yet that the Nigerian-banks issued MasterCard & Visa cards are crippled versions that are only
good to some extent. Nigerian banks, is it like this in other climes.

9JA!
Conversely, Nigeria has gotten independence since 1960 (53 years by now). This is clearly 32 years before South Africa went about normalizing their global relations with other countries.

9ja Help to Other countries!
Note also that Nigeria devoted huge material and financial resources to fight South Africa's Apartheid course and still hugely committed to UN Peace keeping activities around the globe. Yet not reaping our just rewards of inclusion. Because we have not fashioned a cohesive and pragmatic diplomatic policy that sells our total efforts on the international front.

Our National Embarrassing Question.
Why are we still grappling with the basics of existence (to take road and electricity only) 53 years after and ongoing. I have come to realize that it is not only the government. Our professional institutions and some of us in our individual capacities are not left out in the lack of drive to fix the backwardness we are presently wallowing in by speaking out. Let me cite some example(s), Many foreign (both small and big) organizations and corporations operating in Nigeria and making huge profits from it do not have a page on Nigeria on their global websites. Even with a google search on those sites, Nigeria will not turn up on a page.
Some have started recently to develop local webpages that are not linked to their global sites. OTHERS CAN ATTEST TO THIS. I AM NOT MENTIONING ANY. And we have high ranking Nigerian officials in this firms that carry out multibillion dollar transactions with our consumer society everyday.

West Africa – the sweeter name for us?
We are listed as West Africa (shy of calling us Africa) on some sites while Ghana and Niger Republic are listed by their names on same sites. This tells you that those two countries are doing some things right.

U.S. - Obama Africa Visit.
Have we asked ourselves why Obama in his last Africa tour visited Ghana and other countries we may consider ourselves more richer than economically while United States major oil trading partner in West Africa was only worthy of mention.

You have to do your own public relations by showing others that you are important by your value to their strategic objectives. It is obvious that we are likely of no strategic benefit to the U.S. hence the proper treatment we got. After that show, have we remedied our outlook to others on the global trading scene. Another No!

SOLUTION.
Let us leave the writing and talking and proffer some solutions.

OUR IDENTITY ISSUE.
FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT TO THE NIGERIAN DEVELOPMENT, GLOBAL INCLUSION AND ANTI-CORRUPTION TOOLBOX.

1. ALL NIGERIANS NEED TO BE REGISTERED INTO A GOVERNMENT SUPERVISED CENTRALIZED BUT SECURE NATIONAL BIOMETRIC CITIZEN
DATABASE LIKE THE STOCK EXCHANGE MODEL) IN A DECENTRALIZED FORMAT AS JAMB, WAEC AND THE TELECOM COMPANIES ARE
PRESENTLY DOING.
IN ESSENCE, WE NEED TO GO TO WHEREVER WE CAN GET INTERNET ACCESS (NOT GOVERNMENT’S OWN) AND REGISTER OURSELVES AT
THE DESIGNATED WEBSITE(S). THE IDENTITY CARD NUMBER WILL THEN BE USED AS OUR INDIVIDUAL UNIQUE IDENTIFICATION. THIS
WILL GREATLY REDUCE THE SOCIAL VICES WHEN COUPLED WITH INTELLIGENT POLICING AND ROBUST LAWS.

THIS WILL ALSO ENSURE THAT THE PROCESS WILL BE CONCLUDED IN THE SHORTEST POSSIBLE TIME WITHOUT BEING HAMPERED BY
BUDGETARY ISSUES, VESTED INTERESTS THAT DO NOT WANT IT TO WORK AND MOST IMPORTANTLY CORRUPTION THAT WILL FURTHER
REDUCE OUR NATIONAL DEVELOPMENTAL RESOURCES.

MOST OF US NIGERIANS NOW DO MULTIPLE REGISTRATIONS EVERY NOW AND THEN AS A RESULT OF LACK OF THIS NATIONAL DATABASE
THAT WILL AID NATIONAL PLANNING AND SECURITY. WE REGISTER UNNECESSARY MULTIPLE TIMES AT BANKS, JAMB, WAEC,
PENSIONER VERIFICATIONS (WITH SOME DYING ON THE QUEUES), STAFF VERIFICATION, TELECOM SUBSCRIBER REGISTRATION,
POLICE BIOMETRIC DATABASE, FRSC DRIVERS LICENSE SCREEN CAPTURE, IMMIGRATION SCREEN CAPTURE ETC. AM ASHAMED TO
MENTION MORE.

DO WE AS A NATION TAKE TIME TO CONSIDER THE WASTAGES (IN PRODUCTIVE MANHOURS AND FINANCIAL RESOURCES OF MULTIPLE
REGISTRATIONS) ALONG WITH THE USELESSNESS OF THE DISJOINTED INFORMATION SILOS? HOW CAN WE GROW AS A NATION WHEN
CITIZENS WASTE RESOURCES IN THIS UNCOORDINATED SCHEMES THAT ARE OPERATED BY EVERY AGENCY.

2. THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SHOULD MANDATE (NOT SETUP ANOTHER BUREAUCRACY) THE RELEVANT NIGERIAN LOCAL AND
FOREIGN DEPARTMENTS OR MINISTRY UNITS TO WORK ON INCLUDING NIGERIA'S IRREDUCIBLE MINIMUMS OF EQUITABLE INCLUSION AS
IN ALL FORA AS IS DONE IN OTHER CLIMES.

That is, any organization that is resident in Nigeria must have it listed as one of the possible countries on their
site - MasterCard, Visa, Google, Yahoo etc. Or appropriate economic reliefs/redresses as appropriate sought for them.

LET US WORK TO MOVE THIS NATION FORWARD IN OUR INDIVIDUAL CAPACITIES IN SPITE OF THE MULTIPLE (SOME TIMES SELF INFLICTED) BARRIERS.

Re: #ListenUpGoogle Why Google Omitted Nigeria On 2-step Verification Country List? by Pins(m): 7:13am On Jul 08, 2013
This is so appauling,almost every big reasonable company on the net has a way of secluding nigerians look at even paypal and yet we claim to be the giants of africa.GOD HELP US O!
Re: #ListenUpGoogle Why Google Omitted Nigeria On 2-step Verification Country List? by ibietela2(m): 3:14pm On Jul 08, 2013
Google poop don't bother me, what bothers me is PayPal..... For google they think they are wise, how can you collect my number during registration but you won't let me use it to secure my account??
Re: #ListenUpGoogle Why Google Omitted Nigeria On 2-step Verification Country List? by Bayils(m): 6:25pm On Aug 08, 2014
I was Redirected on a #Search result when making a Quest about "ways of Creating Step two Verification with a Nigeria Number". and Glad i came Across a thread like this, but somewhat unfortunate as the Thread Hasn't yielded any responsive solution since 2013.
Please @Op what's the Situation like...?? any Response since then..??
was utterly Dismayed Google could Omit Nigeria in such a Sensitive way of securing a Google Account.
i think may be We should follow the Steps we did earlier by putting up & signing a Petition the way we did regards Paypal, which i believe it's gonna Yield a fruitful outcome.
Jide & others Bloggers on Nairaland, let's support this Move..!
regards.
Re: #ListenUpGoogle Why Google Omitted Nigeria On 2-step Verification Country List? by Deicide: 4:16pm On Jan 17, 2018
If na tonto dike now e fo don reach FP O seun push this thing go fp na
Re: #ListenUpGoogle Why Google Omitted Nigeria On 2-step Verification Country List? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jan 17, 2018
Despite that we Nigerians are among the set of people that use their features the most [am talking about Google, PayPal, and sort], those people just like to dey oppress us anyhow

(1) (Reply)

How Much Would It Cost To Build A Forum Like Nairaland? / How Much Is Payoneer Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate? / What Makes Your Blog Standout?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.